Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

techknight posted:

Yeah, you can definitely smooth ABS that way but some people go further and do acetone vapour smoothing (requiring heat) which gives a very even, smooth, and shiny look to parts

I guess I haven't seen the difference between the two methods. The cold bath parts I have seen were really smooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

jubjub64 posted:

I guess I haven't seen the difference between the two methods. The cold bath parts I have seen were really smooth.

My bad - I misread what you saying and thought you meant dampening a paper towel and directly wiping a surface (which I've done for some sword props). I actually hadn't heard of people using cold acetone vapour - maybe it's a speed thing?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, it's just speed. Acetone evaporates at room temp, but it evaporates really quickly on a stove just before it catches fire.

Whoever it was that pointed out just using the heated bed on the printer, that's a good plan if you insist on heating it indoors, especially when the alternative is an open flame.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Not sure if my reply a few days ago came through or not but thanks for the info anyway!

I'll probably continue down the path of using the e waste printer as a basic reference design. At least until I get bored with it.

When I get some time I'm going to strip some stuff that I found which missed the cull a couple of years ago including a couple of older inkjet printers.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
In my efforts to re-apply the adhesive to my PEI sheet, I just got done spending about 1.5 hours removing the PEI from the glass plate. Separating PEI from glass was pretty fast and straight forward using lighter fluid. Actually getting the adhesive off the plate was the hard part. I tried lighter fluid, olive oil (recommened as goo-off alternative), magic eraser pads, brillo pads, and paper towels without much success. The thing that wound up actually working was Acetone and a razor plade. Also recommended are powdered latex gloves, a 3M mask with VOC filter, an entire roll of paper towels, and good ventilation. Use lots of acetone (I would use about half a table spoon at a time, scrape till it dried, repeat). Paper towels and acetone were good for getting the final streaks and residue off. Glass looks brand new aside from a few tiny scratches from razor blade.

Now to go re-apply and hopefully not gently caress it up this time.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 20, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, acetone takes care of a lot of the 3M adhesives we use, turns them into easily scrapable jelly.

Also, while acetone is definitely an inhalation risk with heat and enclosed spaces, it's actually quite non toxic. Your liver is very good at breaking it down, and your body has this whole acetone cycle it goes through.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
So I picked up this guy for $50, which even for a cruddy printer is a great deal:

Really damned quiet compared to my Prusa and Makerbot:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Armadillo attempt #2. New nozzle, bed re-leveled, sanded,etc. Test cube ok, once I slowed it down. Larger print, the Bowden started struggling about 1 hour in. It seems like when the bowden starts absorbing the heat from the Nema, the filament will get soft enough that it can't handle it. I could assist it through. Now, I'm also currently working in a ~32C ambient environment which may not be helping.
I'll try one more time sticking a fan on the Bowden.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Geirskogul posted:

Yeah, acetone takes care of a lot of the 3M adhesives we use, turns them into easily scrapable jelly.

Also, while acetone is definitely an inhalation risk with heat and enclosed spaces, it's actually quite non toxic. Your liver is very good at breaking it down, and your body has this whole acetone cycle it goes through.

I had read this but the can is also plastered with "HARMFUL VAPORS" so I didn't risk it.

Got the PEI applied pretty well this time, still having lifting problems with ABS. Cleaned the poo poo out of it with isopropyl and there's really no bubbles in either the adhesive or the thermal padding between the glass and the stock Buildtak. Bed is at 90C, trying at 100C now which I think is the max for the maker select. Nozzle is close enough to bed that there's a pretty good drag moving paper under it. I guess next step is removing the Buildtak to make heat transfer to glass/PEI better.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 20, 2016

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Monoprice has a delta kit now.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=15840

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Tempted to get a new extruder. Had a look at the Bondtech but that would just be silly.
Alternative is the E3D titan. Anyone else have any suggestions? This would be for a Rostock Max.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Tempted to get a new extruder. Had a look at the Bondtech but that would just be silly.
Alternative is the E3D titan. Anyone else have any suggestions? This would be for a Rostock Max.

Are you using the stock head, or...?

I'm super happy with my e3d v6. Although I did find a cool single-nozzle, triple-filament bowden extruder option with a mount for the rostock, if you want to do something crazy...

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nope, also using the E3D v6...but after the issues with the Armadillo filament, I want something easier to work with. It may just be as simple as cleaning up the drive gear, which I will do tonight, but it'll be a little bit of a pain to get to, hence looking for alternatives.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I have no doubt it would do nothing but worsen your headaches, but do this and give us a trip report :getin:

http://reprap.org/wiki/Diamond_Hotend

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Bad Munki posted:

I have no doubt it would do nothing but worsen your headaches, but do this and give us a trip report :getin:

http://reprap.org/wiki/Diamond_Hotend

That, 3 Bondtechs, and the branch of Marlin that supports filament mixing codes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Just a follow up about the $50 M3D I bought.
Its actually got decent print quality, and its quiet as hell.
If it wasn't for the size limitations and its slow speed, I'd say its actually a decent printer

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

hayden. posted:

I had read this but the can is also plastered with "HARMFUL VAPORS" so I didn't risk it.

Got the PEI applied pretty well this time, still having lifting problems with ABS. Cleaned the poo poo out of it with isopropyl and there's really no bubbles in either the adhesive or the thermal padding between the glass and the stock Buildtak. Bed is at 90C, trying at 100C now which I think is the max for the maker select. Nozzle is close enough to bed that there's a pretty good drag moving paper under it. I guess next step is removing the Buildtak to make heat transfer to glass/PEI better.

Right, I forgot to mention to remove the buildtak first. I usually print ABS at 100-110 and it sticks really well. Did you already mention what your first layer height was? Also, each side of the PEI has a different surface, one is more matte and the other is glossy. I don't think it would make an appreciable difference but maybe look into that if nothing else works.

jubjub64 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 21, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm really happy with the Titan, though I've only used it in direct mode (no bowden). It's able to handle anything, from the softest ninjaflex up to swollen oversized 3mm PLA. Really well designed.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!
Trying not to panic here, but I'm pretty certain I screwed up and I'm not sure how bad. I'm using a Maker Select v2 and I'm pretty much a complete newbie at this (as you'll be able to tell from the rest of my post).

After one of my many botched print jobs I didn't realize that I had a wad of melted filament attached to the end of my extruder. It is now dried and can't be pried off. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I need to do next? And to save time don't worry about trying to help me understand I screwed up- I've already covered that myself.

Thanks in advance for any help.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

FuriousAngle posted:

Trying not to panic here, but I'm pretty certain I screwed up and I'm not sure how bad. I'm using a Maker Select v2 and I'm pretty much a complete newbie at this (as you'll be able to tell from the rest of my post).

After one of my many botched print jobs I didn't realize that I had a wad of melted filament attached to the end of my extruder. It is now dried and can't be pried off. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I need to do next? And to save time don't worry about trying to help me understand I screwed up- I've already covered that myself.

Heat gun and scrape it off.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Heat gun and scrape it off.

Awesome, thanks. Since I don't have a heat gun I'll need to purchase one. Will this do the trick? Looking for something cheap and Amazon Prime-applicable.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FuriousAngle posted:

Meh, that happens. If the blob's not too big, just heat up the extruder again so it softens, then pull it off with pliers. If there's still some goo stuck on, use a brass brush to scrub it off.

If the blob's really big and is attached to parts that won't heat up, then yeah, go at it with a heat gun and see how you make out. I've seen blobs big enough that the whole extruder had to be thrown out (think like the size of a golf ball) but I doubt yours is that bad.

In the future, the reason that happens is usually poor leveling and/or poor first-layer adhesion. Some of the filament doesn't stick to the bed, so it curls up, and the extruder runs through it and picks it up, and it just keeps on building and building. Make sure your first layer is really well calibrated.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

FuriousAngle posted:

If it's just at the hot end/heated block it's not a big deal. If it's on the tip it'll automatically be wiped off onto the bed as it's doing the next print (and you it pick it off then), or you can use your controller software to heat up the hot end to printing temp and wipe it off with a wadded paper towel (don't burn yourself).

e:fb

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

rawrr posted:

If it's just at the hot end/heated block it's not a big deal. If it's on the tip it'll automatically be wiped off onto the bed as it's doing the next print (and you it pick it off then), or you can use your controller software to heat up the hot end to printing temp and wipe it off with a wadded paper towel (don't burn yourself).

Sagebrush posted:

Meh, that happens. If the blob's not too big, just heat up the extruder again so it softens, then pull it off with pliers. If there's still some goo stuck on, use a brass brush to scrub it off.

If the blob's really big and is attached to parts that won't heat up, then yeah, go at it with a heat gun and see how you make out. I've seen blobs big enough that the whole extruder had to be thrown out (think like the size of a golf ball) but I doubt yours is that bad.

In the future, the reason that happens is usually poor leveling and/or poor first-layer adhesion. Some of the filament doesn't stick to the bed, so it curls up, and the extruder runs through it and picks it up, and it just keeps on building and building. Make sure your first layer is really well calibrated.

Thanks both of you! I'll try heating up the filament and pulling it off with pliers. After that I'll try to get better with the leveling. I think that's the thing that's really the hardest thing I've had to deal with in a long time.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yup, crank the temp on the extruder and let it heat for a bit, then use pliers to remove it.

Also, you might wanna buy a cheap soldering iron. It'll help remove clogs from the inside of the tube (plug the iron in, leave it touching the side of the nozzle for a bit, and then use the smallest hex wrench they gave you to push it out).

I got one from harbor freight, and even without the normal 20-25% off coupon it was like 5$.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Armadillo attempt #2. New nozzle, bed re-leveled, sanded,etc. Test cube ok, once I slowed it down. Larger print, the Bowden started struggling about 1 hour in. It seems like when the bowden starts absorbing the heat from the Nema, the filament will get soft enough that it can't handle it. I could assist it through. Now, I'm also currently working in a ~32C ambient environment which may not be helping.
I'll try one more time sticking a fan on the Bowden.

Attempt #3. Cleaned the extruder, but as I did that, I discovered that the the filament was getting bent between the drive gear and the bowden tube and that's what's causing the stoppages.
Slowed it right down, printed 2 smaller parts and it got stuck on the 3rd :/. I'll order a titan tonight.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Armadillo is a flexible filament, right? I tried several different extruder designs and had no luck with flexible stuff until I got a Titan. Took a small amount of calibration with the Titan to get it dialed in, and now it just goes. Ninjaflex ain't no thing.

Super important tip, though: the extruder gear tension is critical to getting proper extrusion of floppy filaments with the Titan. For Ninjaflex, you want to unscrew the tensioner entirely (so it's at its loosest setting), then turn it back in exactly one turn. That's where I am able to print reliably. If you go too loose, it just stops extruding, and if you go too tight, it pushes it out of the ideal extrusion path and binds. Harder/stiffer filaments require you to dial the tension up appropriately, though, so they don't slip.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
You can try printing something like this:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:439617

to take out the gap between the drive gear and the start of the bowden tube

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

Armadillo is a flexible filament, right? I tried several different extruder designs and had no luck with flexible stuff until I got a Titan. Took a small amount of calibration with the Titan to get it dialed in, and now it just goes. Ninjaflex ain't no thing.

Super important tip, though: the extruder gear tension is critical to getting proper extrusion of floppy filaments with the Titan. For Ninjaflex, you want to unscrew the tensioner entirely (so it's at its loosest setting), then turn it back in exactly one turn. That's where I am able to print reliably. If you go too loose, it just stops extruding, and if you go too tight, it pushes it out of the ideal extrusion path and binds. Harder/stiffer filaments require you to dial the tension up appropriately, though, so they don't slip.

Somewhat flexible yes. A lot stiffer than Ninjaflex, though.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I finally stuck that Smoothieboard into my cheap rear end CTC printer, like after nine months.

It has all those fancy things, including PID autotune for the heaters. Of course you're tuning to a specific setpoint. Given the temperature difference between some materials, it'd require different PIDs for best results. How do you guys do it? Put the PIDs in the different profiles of the slicer, right? (There appear to be M-codes for that.)

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Aug 22, 2016

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Combat Pretzel posted:

I finally stuck that Smoothieboard into my cheap rear end CTC printer, like after nine months.

It has all those fancy things, including PID autotune for the heaters. Of course you're tuning to a specific setpoint. Given the temperature difference between some materials, it'd require different PIDs for best results. How do you guys do it? Put the PIDs in the different profiles of the slicer, right? (There appear to be M-codes for that.)

You can if you want, but most people just put whatever temperature readout on their specific printer works best for a given material after running some basic cubes/bridging tests.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Just wondering, because PIDs will maybe diverge a bit for a material that runs around 190°C and one that runs at 250°C, one might cause oscillation on the other.

It's already a marked improvement going from hysteresis on my (clone?) Mightyboard to PID control on the Smoothieboard. No more ribbing due to aluminium plate bucking from heat fluctuations.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Saw this on reddit:

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Has anyone used the "Tough 3D Ink" from M3D? I'm trying to figure out a good way to finish parts. It always ends up with little strings and irregularities. It's slightly flexible, but hard to do anything with as far as sanding or filing. Just curious if anyone has any experience with it.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
According to this, https://www.thingiverse.com/groups/m3d-the-micro-3d-printer/topic:5734

Use code FLX.

LOL at there being a printer so locked down that the slicer for it has to use codes for settings instead of them just printing the settings to use on the loving spool like every other filament manufacturer out there.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Wade Wilson posted:

According to this, https://www.thingiverse.com/groups/m3d-the-micro-3d-printer/topic:5734

Use code FLX.

LOL at there being a printer so locked down that the slicer for it has to use codes for settings instead of them just printing the settings to use on the loving spool like every other filament manufacturer out there.

Yeah. I got my M3D before I realized there were better options for the money.
I can get it to work, I was just hoping someone else knew of a good way to clean up the prints.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Funzo posted:

Yeah. I got my M3D before I realized there were better options for the money.
I can get it to work, I was just hoping someone else knew of a good way to clean up the prints.

Is there anything approaching decent in the >100 dollar range? The 350 Maker select is still a bit higher than I'd like for just playing around, giving it a try.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Golluk posted:

Is there anything approaching decent in the >100 dollar range? The 350 Maker select is still a bit higher than I'd like for just playing around, giving it a try.

Well, pretty much everything is >100 :v:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I managed to get a good Armadillo print by creating a duct for a desk fan and pointing it right at my extruder/filament path. But I just remembered I left the roll out last night and it's going to be a soggy mess again noooooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Golluk posted:

I wouldn't trust any sub-$100 printer to do anything but burn down any room it was left printing in.

There is this one for right at $200, but it's the bare minimum I'd suggest.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=107&cp_id=10724&cs_id=1072403&p_id=15365&seq=1&format=2

Also, any given Monoprice printer has a 30-day money-back return/refund policy if you aren't happy with it, which is why I put it above even some of the other similarly priced printers out there people point at on Ebay that are moderately cheaper.

No point in a newbie getting something if they end up with a multi-hundred dollar paper weight if they discover the hobby isn't for them less than 30 days into it.