Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Rumor for now, but great news for sprint users if true.

http://phandroid.com/2011/12/20/spr...ource=pulsenews

As much as I would want this to be true, if all they have is easy an echat service rep saying it I don't buy it, those people are morons.

And I agree with the retardedness of not being able to activate other carriers phones. But it's likely a policy set in stone.

Klint posted:

So when I ported my whole family over on October 1st, I was told by the sales agent over the phone that every line I moved over would be eligible for a port credit since I placed the order on October 1st. However, I was just recently told by a rep at the port credit center that every single one of my lines isn't eligible for the port credit because the lines themselves got ported on October 7th. This was because I didn't want an interrupt in service while the phones were being shipped and the sales agent said it was fine.

Is there anything I can do to try and get my port credits? I ported four lines and got smartphones for every line so I'm looking at $500 of credit that I thought I was going to get...

poo poo dude that's a tough one. First off the promo ended on the 1st, meaning September's 31st was the last day (that was how I interpreted it anyway). Did you file on sprint.com/switchtosprint on the 1st, 7th or not at all?

Either way obviously the procedures and timings were not explained to you accurately. Where did you get the phones from? Probably the only department that can issue you a credit is retentions (from the OP), I would probably call them and be pretty drat insistent.

900ftjesus posted:

You could flip a Sprint iPhone for one if you've got a renewal coming up too, but I'll definitely wait and see if anyone actually manages this before I even consider trying.

One of their concerns is not being able to service/repair phones that they don't sell. On the other hand you can bring a Sprint branded phone into a Sprint store and get no help at all, but at least they'll fake it.

Usually fake it thank you very much! :)

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

I would so buy a Galaxy Nexus at full price if I knew 100% that Sprint would activate it. I thought the FCC was trying to make them activate others' devices?

You could flip a Sprint iPhone for one if you've got a renewal coming up too, but I'll definitely wait and see if anyone actually manages this before I even consider trying.

One of their concerns is not being able to service/repair phones that they don't sell. On the other hand you can bring a Sprint branded phone into a Sprint store and get no help at all, but at least they'll fake it.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

I'm looking to activate my old sprint dumbphone (it's over 4 years old) to tide me over until I get a smartphone, which may be in a month or two or later (I'm currently unemployed and don't feel like paying $80 dollars a month). Is it possible to activate my old device on one of those EPRP plans without getting roped into a new contract? I was going through the website, but it seems you have to buy a phone if you want to get on an EPRP plan.

Edit: Also, why does my old phone still have my old phone number and stuff still stored in it, when I canceled the contract and deactivated the device over fours years. It seems it is still connecting to the sprint network as well. Shouldn't that not be happening?

madcow fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 21, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

madcow posted:

I'm looking to activate my old sprint dumbphone to tide me over until I get a smartphone, which may be in a month or two or later (I'm currently unemployed and don't feel like paying $80 dollars a month). Is it possible to activate my old device on one of those EPRP plans without getting roped into a new contract? I was going through the website, but it seems you have to buy a phone if you want to get on an EPRP plan.

If you are activating a new sprint plan, it is a two year contract fyi. Even if you provide your own equipment. If you do bring over your own phone you will remain eligible for an upgrade, so you would be able to get a smartphone down the road.

Personally you can buy a Virgin Mobile dumbphone for $50 and that has a $35 300 minute plan, I would go prepaid if you are between jobs. It's very easy to then switch from virgin to sprint.

Probably the website isn't handling it well, I would just call in and see if they can set it up that way if you really want to sign up on sprint now.

Best wishes on the job front!

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
If you've got a renewal and crave an Epic Touch 4G, Samsung Amazon's got it for $79 right now.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Last November I bought a Samsung Epic 4g, with the high hopes of it being vastly better than the slow AT&T iPhone 3G I had for two years previously. Unfortunately that didn't come to be the case, and I loathe my Epic for its battery life, bugginess, difficulty of use, etc. I replaced it in October with a new one for free when it went belly up and just outright died on me. I bought an iPad a half year ago which has helped me reduce use of my phone tremendously, but have been drooling over the gf's iphone 4. But seriouscase, I need a phone that I actually like to use and doesn't roar to 0% battery in a few hours.

I'm asking my family to help me with swapping the Epic for an IPhone 4 this Christmas. What is the best way of doing this? I have a data-only plan since I'm deaf, only paying $40/mo for the Epic. When I looked on Sprint.com for an upgrade to th iPhone, it said I had to pay out $550. Bollocks.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So I'm encountering mass instances where Google Voice doesn't properly send my texts for ages at a time. Is this a ROM issue? Is there any way I can just use GV for the call integration and completely strip it from my texts?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

So I'm encountering mass instances where Google Voice doesn't properly send my texts for ages at a time. Is this a ROM issue? Is there any way I can just use GV for the call integration and completely strip it from my texts?

My boyfriend's had issues with Google Voice doing that just last night on his non-Android phone and I've had it on my own Nexus S 4G a few times. I think it might be a GV problem.

The way I fixed it is to stop the GV-Sprint collaboration and then restart it in 10 minutes.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Matlock posted:

If you've got a renewal and crave an Epic Touch 4G, Samsung Amazon's got it for $79 right now.

I just got the E4GT from a Sprint store 2 days ago in a contract renewal... what are the chances that I can get the store to refund me some cash?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

zenintrude posted:

I just got the E4GT from a Sprint store 2 days ago in a contract renewal... what are the chances that I can get the store to refund me some cash?
Approximately 0% if I had to guess. You should be able to return it and get your upgrade back to buy it online though if you wanted to go that route.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

datajosh posted:

Approximately 0% if I had to guess. You should be able to return it and get your upgrade back to buy it online though if you wanted to go that route.

Although you might have to eat the $35 restocking fee.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zenintrude posted:

The margin on the epic touch is laughable, easily half of what i would make on smartphones in the $99 range (apply this to iPhone 4S, EVO 3D as well). No sprint store could match it, if you want the price point just return it.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

the walkin dude posted:

Last November I bought a Samsung Epic 4g, blahblah it sucks
When I looked on Sprint.com for an upgrade to th iPhone, it said I had to pay out $550. Bollocks.
That's how much iPhones cost. You used your upgrade last year, so you won't get another one 'til next November. You can sell the Epic on eBay for $110 or so to recoup a bit of the cost. Actually, looking on eBay, you can find some iPhone 4s listed for about a hundred dollars less than the Sprint price, if you're willing to wade through all the more expensive 4S listings.

Another option would be to look into custom roms and tweaks and stuff for your Epic to make it suck less. I hear a lot of good things about it nowadays. A stock Epic though? Buggy as hell, naturally.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Matlock posted:

I'm on SERO premium, can I upgrade this way or am I forced to use sprint.com?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

GEMorris posted:

I'm on SERO premium, can I upgrade this way
nope.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
Discount changes again, yay

http://www.sprintfeed.com/2011/12/sprint-changing-discount-policy-starting-february-2nd-2012-it-just-might-cost-you/

quote:

Starting on February 1st 2012, Sprint will no longer offer discounts on secondary lines. This means if you’re currently receiving any type of discount on your monthly bill on an account with multiple lines, you can expect your bill to receive a slight increase.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
So if I'm reading that correctly, my four line plan with a 25% discount is going to increase by 15 bucks a month?

If so, loving see you later Sprint.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Can different discounts be added to different lines on the same plan then? Like if two people get discounts from their jobs?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
^^^^^^^^^^^^
No. You can only use the discount that the account holder is eligible for. If your partner qualifies for a larger discount, you'll have to transfer account liability to her name.

Leathal posted:

So if I'm reading that correctly, my four line plan with a 25% discount is going to increase by 15 bucks a month?

If so, loving see you later Sprint.

No. Previously the discount applied to all 4 lines. Currently, it applies to the base 2 line group plan. For example, $129.99 for an Everything Data plan.

After February 1, it will only apply to $110 ($129.99-19.99 for line two).

129.99*25% - 110*25% = $5 increase

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Ugh, I have watched my five line family plan go up by like 10 dollars a line over the last 18 months due these stupid shenanigans. Maybe it is time to start banging the materially adverse change to a contract drum and jump ship to AT&T who, though evil, at least has an HSPA+ network were I live and work that doesn't give me ~7kbps speeds.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
You Sprint people whined and howled for the iPhone, and now here you are. It is the destroyer of everything good.

So long premiere o/
So long corp. discounts o/
So long customer service o/
So long data services o/
So long upgrade fee-less upgrades o/
So long data speeds o/

Can't have your cake and eat it too. :toot:

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Its only a matter of time until the only difference between the carriers are their names. It's poo poo. I've been with all three (I don't even consider T-Mobile a player anymore) and it feels like as soon as you turn your back their smiles disappear and they try to riffle through your wallet.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Smeed posted:

Its only a matter of time until the only difference between the carriers are their names. It's poo poo. I've been with all three (I don't even consider T-Mobile a player anymore) and it feels like as soon as you turn your back their smiles disappear and they try to riffle through your wallet.

Well, T-Mobile IS getting a boatload of AWS at like 18-1900MHz (read: a coat pocket is airplane mode) but outside of it being announced as "128 markets including 12 of the top 20 markets" who knows where it will be.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

goku chewbacca posted:

No. Previously the discount applied to all 4 lines. Currently, it applies to the base 2 line group plan. For example, $129.99 for an Everything Data plan.

After February 1, it will only apply to $110 ($129.99-19.99 for line two).

129.99*25% - 110*25% = $5 increase

Ohhh, okay. I'm not gonna break contract over a measly 85 bucks (the extra cost over the remainder of my contract post-February).

Still though, Sprint seems to be all stick and no carrot these days. They really can't be said to be competing on price anymore, so unlimited data is really their only saving grace.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Unlimited data is pretty useless when it comes at you slower than a dial-up modem.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Turnquiet posted:

Unlimited data is pretty useless when it comes at you slower than a dial-up modem.

Indeed. With the reception I get and as much as I stick on wifi...I hate to say it but I actually would never even come close to going over 2GB on any other carrier.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
A coworker was considering making the switch to Sprint recently for an iPhone, and when he asked about tethering on the phone with them, they only offered the wifi hotspot for 29.99. Does Sprint not offer a USB tethering plan or do they and you just have to know to ask for it?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

ninmeister posted:

A coworker was considering making the switch to Sprint recently for an iPhone, and when he asked about tethering on the phone with them, they only offered the wifi hotspot for 29.99. Does Sprint not offer a USB tethering plan or do they and you just have to know to ask for it?

It's the same plan -- I don't have an iphone to check, but I believe the 'personal hotspot' iphone app also does usb/bluetooth tethering.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

ninmeister posted:

Looking at the Apple page for it, the term "personal hotspot" refers to all types of tethering: wifi, bluetooth, and USB.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

td4guy posted:

Looking at the Apple page for it, the term "personal hotspot" refers to all types of tethering: wifi, bluetooth, and USB.

I see. He was more hoping for something that is only usb tethering and cheaper. Sounds like that doesn't exist. Bummer for him.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

IOwnCalculus posted:

Indeed. With the reception I get and as much as I stick on wifi...I hate to say it but I actually would never even come close to going over 2GB on any other carrier.

I get 40 KB/s download speeds at 4am with full 3G bars outside, a couple blocks from a tower. I get 1 bar of 3g or 2 bars of 1x inside any building in town, and have never gone above 15 KB/s download speed then. Meanwhile my friend sits near me at work and gets full 3g bars and 1MB/s downloads during peak hours on his Verizon smartphone.

I went with Sprint originally because they had unlimited data and only needed a $100 deposit instead of Verizon's $400 deposit (thanks mom for ruining my credit).

I've reviewed my bill and have never once gone above 1GB of usage. I'm on wifi at home and when visiting most of my friends. If I can find a way to pay the ETF and Verizon's deposit (or find a way to avoid it), I think I'm jumping ship. Still haven't received my port credit either even though they promised it was gonna be on this bill after calling several times about it.

There's literally no reason for me to stay with Sprint at this point and I could likely make up some of the ETF cost by selling my EVO 3D. Unless they do something worth staying for and soon, there is no point when I can pay the same or less with Verizon for way better coverage, speed, and now phones. 4GB with their Galaxy Nexus promo is more than enough for my needs, and even 2GB likely would be too.

I assume I'd lose my deposit if I cancelled my contract? If I am cancelled by them for roaming overuse does that have any negative impacts either? I'm at 90MB without intentionally using roaming so it's not a stretch to hit 300+.

I like Sprint as a company but they've made some really bad decisions recently and with no plans for network improvements in my area anytime soon, I'm losing hope.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

ninmeister posted:

I see. He was more hoping for something that is only usb tethering and cheaper. Sounds like that doesn't exist. Bummer for him.
Yeah, it's called jailbreaking. Then you can do whatever you want with your phone.

Krittick posted:

I assume I'd lose my deposit if I cancelled my contract? If I am cancelled by them for roaming overuse does that have any negative impacts either? I'm at 90MB without intentionally using roaming so it's not a stretch to hit 300+.

I like Sprint as a company but they've made some really bad decisions recently and with no plans for network improvements in my area anytime soon, I'm losing hope.
Yeah. If you're not willing to wait a year or two for the Network Vision upgrades to come to your area, then you'd be better off switching unfortunately.

As for your deposit, it's supposed to be credited to your account after a year or so of service. If you're jumping ship before then, then you don't get it back. That's the point of the deposit - to lessen the chances of you doing that.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

td4guy posted:

As for your deposit, it's supposed to be credited to your account after a year or so of service. If you're jumping ship before then, then you don't get it back. That's the point of the deposit - to lessen the chances of you doing that.

No, if you leave, it's refunded (minus any outstanding balance). The point of the deposit is to guard against people flaking on their bill, not people leaving.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...

Krittick posted:

I'm losing hope.

I was losing hope, about the end of the summer to the first portion of November my speeds were atrocious on my evo 3d. Did you do any of the mods in the original post of this thread? Specifically this one:

900ftjesus posted: posted:

This will actually help 3G streaming.

1) Click on phone and dial ##DATA# (##3282#)
2) Click on "Edit Mode"
3) Type in your MSL code (see above if you don't have it yet)
4) Choose Advanced
5) Choose RSTP/HTTP Setting
6) Change both IP addresses to 0.0.0.0
7) Change both ports to 0
8) Hit Back button until you're back at your home screen, no restart needed.

Now you're not using Sprint's data proxy.

EDIT: This will very likely reset itself if you flash a ROM, so check it after flashing.

EDIT2: This is set on a lot if not all phones, but the location may differ. You're looking for "RSTP proxy IP" and "HTTP proxy IP" and the default settings are:

RTSP proxy IP = rtsp.vog.sprintpcs.com
RTSP proxy port = 554
HTTP proxy IP = pd.vog.sprintpcs.com
HTTP proxy port = 8085

New settings:
RTSP proxy IP to: 0.0.0.0
RTSP proxy port to: 0
HTTP proxy IP to: 0.0.0.0
HTTP proxy port to: 0

And if not that I posted something back in the thread that my 3D was doing, keeping me on 2g speeds. The fix I found on another website:

I seem to have it working now. The change I made was ##3282#, EVDO, preferred mode = auto. This was previously set to CDMA. After a reboot I now have 3g.

What I actually saw:
My EVDO phrase that I had was "CDMA only" which I changed to automatic.

I hope it helps some, I was seriously considering verizon due to the speed problems

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
would Sprint changing the discount plans to only the first line be a good way to get out of a ETF?

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

atomicvocabulary posted:

I was losing hope, about the end of the summer to the first portion of November my speeds were atrocious on my evo 3d. Did you do any of the mods in the original post of this thread? Specifically this one:

And if not that I posted something back in the thread that my 3D was doing, keeping me on 2g speeds. The fix I found on another website:

I seem to have it working now. The change I made was ##3282#, EVDO, preferred mode = auto. This was previously set to CDMA. After a reboot I now have 3g.

What I actually saw:
My EVDO phrase that I had was "CDMA only" which I changed to automatic.

I hope it helps some, I was seriously considering verizon due to the speed problems

Yep, they raised me TO those speeds I mentioned.

JumboJetDreams
Jun 3, 2008

Matlock posted:

Of course this dies the day I get paid. Does anyone know of any good deals on the Epic Touch right now?

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

td4guy posted:

Yeah, it's called jailbreaking. Then you can do whatever you want with your phone.

Yeah that was the first thing I suggested to him but he's adamant against doing that. Oh well.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ratbert90 posted:

would Sprint changing the discount plans to only the first line be a good way to get out of a ETF?

Don't think so on this one. Aways possible you could argue it, but I don't think so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Don't think so on this one. Aways possible you could argue it, but I don't think so.
It's always worth a shot I guess. It's not that I don't love sprint, it's that I recently lost my job and the wife just had back surgery, so uh yeah, no money for me for a while!