Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Super-League IX, Week 21: The Continuing Adventures of William Van Devanter, American

Games of the Week

3 Coburns 21:57-23:48 posted:

1. In the beginning, there were the Deadwood Cutthroats, who begat the Comancheros, who begat the Old Hoss Radbourns, who begat the Coburns.

2. And the day did come when the Coburns, son of Radbourns, came to see the Lovable Losers, son of no one.

3. And it had come to pass that the Lovable Losers had taken for themselves the Intercontinental and Heavyweight Championships, the gifts of the gods made manifest on Earth.

4. And the Lovable Losers grew proud, and proclaimed themselves the greatest team that had ever existed, greater even than the Coburns.

5. And perhaps such conduct could have been forgiven. But the Lovable Losers grew prouder yet as team after team failed to take their titles from them.

6. And so the Lovable Losers did declare them above any in the Super-League, or any gods that might dwell there within.

7. And down in Fort Sumner, where the hand of Coburn touches the earth, Coburns, sons of Radbourns, grew rageful in the heart.

8. "Who are these men," they asked, "who proclaim themselves to be as unto gods? And what is our role in these events?"

9. And the spirit of Coburn filled the heart of Warm Sarsaparilla, and impelled him onward to vanquish the Lovable Losers, for Coburn is a jealous and angry god. Also, he drinks a lot.

10. And so the Coburns, sons of Radbourns summoned the Lovable Losers to their battledome in Fort Sumner, and begged the Lovable Losers to surrender their ill-gotten titles, and humble themselves before Coburn.

11. But Coburn, so vengeful, made the hearts of the Losers hard, and blinded them from seeing the error of their ways.

12. And so they laughed in the face of the Coburns, sons of Radbourns, and the hearts of the Coburns grew angry.

13. And the prideful Losers were cast down by the power of the Coburns, struck again and again until the life had fled from their bodies, and the light had gone from their eyes.

14. And the Coburns, sons of Radbourns, took up the Intercontinental and Heavyweight Titles as their rightful prizes.

15. And there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth among the widows of the Lovable Losers, for they had been slain.

16. And Coburn looked down from his celestial barstool, and he say it was good.

Box Score

Don May posted:

IMPERIALISTS GRIND DOWN TORNADOS AGAIN, WIN 5-4

Mandalay- To put it bluntly, the Tornados simply do not have time for this poo poo anymore.

With only five weeks remaining in the season, the Tornados could not afford to lose another series to the Imperialists, not if they had any hope left of winning the Memento Mori Division.

But, faced with Martin Dihigo, the Tornados simply couldn't enough muster enough runs through the first eight innings, and entered the top of the ninth, their last chance to prevent the Imperialists from winning the series, down 5-3. In the first good news they had gotten all game, Jonathan Papelbon entered the game to try and get the save. Papelbon gave the Tornados their best chance of coming back, and they knew it. If they could not win here, then they would effectively forfeit the division to the Imperialists once and for all.

With a sense of real urgency, Steve came to the plate, and immediately grounded to third. This was not the start that UltimoDragonQuest had been waiting for. Riggs Stephenson, though, made up for his teammate's failure with a double to deep left field. Jackie Robinson then grounded to shortstop to make the second out. Joe Cronin, though, would not let the dreams of the Tornados die so easily, and hit a sharp single to left-center to score Riggs, and bring the Tornados within one.

The pitcher's spot was due up next, and so Joe Kelley, who does not start against right-handed pitcher, came up as a pinch-hitter and hit another single to extend the game, moving Cronin to third. With the tying run just 90 feet from home plate, the fate of the Tornados rested in the bat of young Mike Trout, a sizeable burden for a player so young.

Or so one would have thought. Kelley, however, tried to get a good lead off of first, likely to try and score on a single, but Papelbon, not being quite as dumb as he looks, picked Kelley off to end the game in supremely anti-climatic fashion.

Viscount Slim, whose Imperialists have all but locked up the Memento Mori Division with the win, was as coldly dismissive of the Tornados as ever, "I know that there was quite a bit of mewling from the rabble after last week, when I made some comments about the Irish that many called "cruelly intemperate". And yet, look what happened today! The game on the line, the need for mental discipline more pressing than ever, and what does Irish Joe Kelley do? He steps off his base, his mind in a daze, and is thrown out to end the game! It is fair to say that an Enlgishman would have had the sense to stay close to the bag, as only one run was needed to tie the game. Alas for UltimoDragonQuest, he brought in men of inferior character, and his team has paid the ultimate price for it! If the Tornados should somehow survive, perhaps he shall change his ways. Of course, I would not put great odds on that at the moment."

GAME NOTES

-Roy Halladay is still possessed by an ancient Mayan god or whatever. I just wanted to remind people of that, because it's super-important to make sure that Super-League continuity is adhered to, and that was clearly part of the Super-League canon.

-Did you know that Riggs Stephenson was an accomplished classical pianist in the offseason? I'm willing to bet you didn't, as I just made that up.

Box Score

Don May posted:

MERCURIES STUN CULTISTS, WIN 10-5

Queens- For most of this season, CthulhuDreams had been worried about his bullpen.

For good reason.

In a game against the Mercuries, who will almost certainly be the first-round playoff opponent of the Cultists, CthulhuDreams was looking to stake a stronger claim to home-field advantage as well as proving that his team could hang with the Mercuries.

And, come the eighth inning, he had shown just that, with the Cultists hold a 5-4 lead over the most rock operatic of all the Super-League teams. As was usual this season, Steve Carlton hadn't had a great game, but he had been good enough, going seven strong innings and allowing only two earned runs. It had taken him 125 pitches to get that far, though, and so, quite reasonably, CthulhuDreams turned to his bullpen to bring the game home.

Lamentably, however, that decision meant that the fate of the Cultists would now lie the least capable of men, with inadequate hurlers such as Kazuhiro Sasaki, Phil Coke and Byung-Hyun Kim being expected to shoulder the load. You can win some games with those guys as the heart of your bullpen, but the time will come when they let you down and let you down hard.

Today, they didn't so much let CthulhuDreams down as smashed him into the ground at 500 mph onto a bed of spikes, and then kicked him a couple of times for good measure. Between the three of them, Sasaki, Coke and Kim combined for one inning of work in which they allowed five hits, one walk, and six runs. A 5-4 Cultists lead quickly turned into a 10-5 Mercuries advantage, and there was nothing that CthulhuDreams could do to stop it.

After the horror show finally ended, a near-frantic CthulhuDreams melted down in the face of this latest setback, "No! No! No! No! No! This isn't right! I built the perfect team! I have all the right players! And I'm going to be taken down by Phil Coke? I'm going to be beaten by Byung-Hyun Kim? It's all going to fall apart because of Kazuhiro Sasaki? This is unacceptable! This is simply unacceptable! This isn't right! I did all of the right things! Who cares about the bullpen? It's the least important part of a team! I shouldn't be pulled down because of my bullpen, I should still get to win!"

GAME NOTES

-Senerio probably said something after the game, too, but I've got a cold and I don't feel like looking up lyrics to a Queen song, or to think of anything more meaningful for Senerio to say. So, just pretend that he said something, and it was mildly amusing, okay? Okay. Great, then, see you Thursday.

-Wait, someone suggested I rag on Battlestar Galactica some more. I'm not going to do that because a) it would be pandering, and that's wrong, as proven by how lovely Pander's team is doing in the Super-League. Also, b) the show ended a long time ago, and has been mainly swallowed up by history. It's not like Caprica did anything...although when you cast Eric Stoltz as the lead, and then try to use Patton Oswalt in a serious role, you really aren't giving your best effort anyway. Although I suppose that show does deserve credit for creating the least exciting of polyamory in history, which is some sort of accomplishment. Oh, and I suppose, "Hah! You thought that was Captain Adama? No way, dude, that was his dead older brother than just happened to have the same name! Psych!" was a fine moment if you enjoy dicking around your audience. There, you happy now, UltimoDragonQuest?

Box Score

Don May posted:

MANATEES OBLITERATE PHOENIXES 10-0

Montreal- So passes the Phoenixes.

It is, theoretically, possible that the Phoenixes might yet survive, but with today's massive defeat to the Manatees, they seem like a team that knows that it's been beaten.

Nolan Ryan was the star of the game as, despite being several hundred years old, he allowed only four hits while pitching nine shutout innings and striking out seven. After the game, Ryan compared the game to, "That god-damned stand at the Alamo. I was there, you know. Of course, I was only 34 years old at the time, just a boy, really...also, I was with the Mexican army, of course, because Nolan Ryan likes winners, and I thought that ol' Santa Ana had it in the bag. Turns out he didn't, piece of poo poo couldn't even stop a bunch of assholes. Course, I later became a Texan myself, but that's neither here nor there. It reminds me of this other time that I invented the recipe for Mello Yello, I was so sure that I was going beat Mountain Dew that I spent all of my money to pay off Donovan to write that song to promote it, but, well, you know the rest. But I got even with Donovan...that's for drat sure. He won't gently caress me over again." Ryan continued to ramble on for several minutes beyond that, making progressively less sense, until he finally just fell asleep during an anecdote about shooting Chester A. Arthur with a derringer.

"I see. So we have been soundly by an ancient power pitcher of questionable accuracy. And, not only that, but it appears our pitching has imploded as well. It was, I suppose, inevitable that this day would come when all of my efforts and cunning could no longer sustain this ragtag band, but I did not see it happening like this. Oh, maybe Koop would have come back with a new Sonics team to level my Phoenixes. Or perhaps TKBomber would show up with another team of questionable integrity but these Manatees? How can this be? A brilliant man such as myself dragged down to defeat by a squadron of poutine-gobbling, Molson-swilling, Bloc Quebecois-voting, would-be Frenchmen! Unfortunate that it had to come to this, but I wish the Manatees all the best of luck. Why, with the success they're having of late, I have no doubt that they'll survive to next season...there to play whoever might just happen to be in their division at that time. The Bangers are coming back, my fine Canadian friend, and they will are going to, shall we say, balance all of my accounts."

GrickleGrass took exception to those comments, noting that he personally votes for the New Democratic Party.

GAME NOTES

-Somehow, despite pitching over 100 innings on the season, Nolan Ryan now has only two wins on the season.

-No ninjas attacked during this game. But they could have. But they didn't.

-THIS SPACE FOR OFFICE USE ONLY-

Box Score

Team Statistics

Let's keep this analysis brief, people.

Analysis

Bubble.

Analysis

Gauntlet.

Analysis

Gauntlet.

Analysis

Playoffs.

Analysis

Bubble.

Analysis

Bubble.

Analysis

Gauntlet.

Analysis

Playoffs.

Analysis

Playoffs.

Analysis

Bubble.

Analysis

Gauntlet.

Analysis

Gauntlet.

Analysis

Gauntlet.

Analysis

Gauntlet.

Analysis

Gauntlet.

Analysis

Gauntlet.

Analysis

Playoffs.

Analysis

Gauntlet.

Analysis

Bubble.

Analysis

Gauntlet.

Analysis

Gauntlet.

Analysis

Gauntlet.

Analysis

Playoffs.

Analysis

Playoffs.

Analysis

Playoffs.

Analysis

Gauntlet.

Analysis

Bubble.

Analysis

Gauntlet.

Analysis

Bubble.

Analysis

Gauntlet.

Standings

Pick 'em: Experiments in Determinism

Finger Lakes Phoenixes @ Montreal Manatees

Patagonia Postmodernists @ Antarctica Unspecifieds

Ryleh Cultists @ Queens Mercuries

Cancun Tornados @ Burma Imperialists

Triple Crown Championship
Rockford Losers @ Cleveland Unicorns (c)

Intercontinental and Heavyweight Championships
Lovable Losers (c) @ Coburns

Walney Rakers: 127 points
Million Dollar Men: 118 points
Detroit Cougars: 117 points
South Bolton Eazy W's: 115 points
Omaha Forgettables: 114 points
Chicago Bobbleheads: 107 points (1 0-point week)
Jacksonville Jobbers: 107 points (1 Perfect Week, 1 0-point week)
Cancun Tornados: 106 points
Somali Pirates: 100 points (1 Perfect Week)
Canton Catastrophes: 99 points
Montreal Manatees: 98 points (1 Perfect Week)
Ryleh Cultists: 96 points
Rockford Losers: 93 points (1 Perfect Week)
Sad Pandas: 91 points
Krakow Dragons: 87 points
Idaho Potatoes: 86 points
Lombard St. Gumshoes: 80 points (1 Perfect Week)
Coburns: 77 points
Oklahoma City Bombers: 77 points (1 Perfect week)
Burma Imperialists: 75 points (1 Perfect Week)
Skyhawks/Wildcats: 62 points
Barons: 55 points
Patagonia Postmodernists: 46 points
Queens Mercuries: 43 points
Harvard Elites: 41 points (1 Perfect Week)
Luna Landers: 19 points
CERN Colliders: 15 points
Lovable Losers: 13 points
Web 2.0 Bloggers: 12 points
Antarctica Unspecifieds: 9 points
Carolina Llamas: 6 points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Let's keep this simple. McCovey to the Bench, Thome to 1st, Bill Terry in at DH.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 17, 2013

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Banks bats 4th against RHP again.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
As of Week 21

DYNAMO LEAGUE

-Burma Imperialists
-Cleveland Unicorns
-Rockford Losers

SMASHER LEAGUE

-Luna Landers
-Queens Mercuries
-R'yleh Cultists

DYNAMO LEAGUE

-Cancun Tornados
-Coburns

SMASHER LEAGUE

-South Bolton Eazy W’s
-Montreal Manatees

Round 9:

Walney Rakers (Auto-Round 9)
CERN Colliders (.508)

Round 8:

Antarctica Unspecifieds(.508)
Web 2.0 Bloggers(.504)

Round 7:

Detroit Cougars (.500)
Patagonia Postmodernists(.488)

Round 6:

Mighty Oneida Spooners(.488)
Jacksonville Jobbers/Jaguars(.488)

Round 5:

Omaha Forgettables(.465)
Finger Lakes Phoenixes(.462)

Round 4:

Lombard St. Gumshoes(.461)
Barons (.461)

Round 3:

Canton Catastrophes(.458)
Idaho Potatoes(.446)

Round 2:

Arkansas Destroyers(.441)
Tijuana Mules (.419)

Round 1:

Million Dollar Men(.408)
Sad Pandas(.383)
Harvard Elites (.371)
Lovable Losers (.366) (and order is restored)

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Lamentably, however, that decision meant that the fate of the Cultists would now lie the least capable of men, with inadequate hurlers such as Kazuhiro Sasaki, Phil Coke and Byung-Hyun Kim being expected to shoulder the load. You can win some games with those guys as the heart of your bullpen, but the time will come when they let you down and let you down hard.

Yeah, these guys or the lack of HR power from the Ernie banks trade are the two things most likely to kill the Cultists. More concerning the AI subs. I get Hartnett in for Piazza - but Yount in for Musial? Craig Biggio in for Bob Johnson in for Billy Williams? I can see using Bob Johnson as a pinch hitter vs Lefties, but then Biggio as the defensive sub? What the hell?

Anyway, revised lineups because Hornsby is getting tired:

vs RHP:

CF: Tris Speaker
DH: Mike Piazza
RF: 96 Rated Musial
1B: Pujols
SS: Arky Vaughn
2B: Hornsby
LF: 90 Rated Musial
C: Gabby Hartnett
3B: Ron Santo

vs LHP:

CF: Tris Speaker
C: Mike Piazza
3B: Ron Santo
DH: Hornsby
RF: 96 Rated Musial
LF: Bob Johnson
SS: Arky Vaughn
2B: Biggio

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Use this banner for my team, please. Still my favorite thing from my teams.
Give my tired players the week off.

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!

Considering I won three games against the Landers, that's a very disappointing week in the end. Still, at least I get my best pitcher back now.

Bring Matlack and Grich up for Cooper and Bishop. Matlack goes to SP2, Lee to SP5. Have Furillo play LF for the week.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

The push is in Start mode again! However, the push is in jeopardy, as the Jobbers are in a 7 game home stand with the Queens Mercuries and the red hot Montreal Manatees. Anything worse than a 3-4 week could spell the end of the Jobbers, but at least we've kept ourselves in contention up until the end of August for once. Getting a 3-4 week at home won't be easy with two sore players, that's for sure.

- As mentioned earlier, Robb Nen hits the DL and Togie Pittinger moves into the middle relief slot. I still want to wait until the first EC month gets posted before I decide what to do with Nen.

- Chris Hoiles is Jim Bunning's personal catcher for the week, to give Porter a day off as we're not facing a lefty until the Mercuries series

- Ray Durham gets the start at second against right handed pitchers for the week.

- Chet Lemon gets the start in center against right handed pitchers for the week as well.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

Altering lineups to give Cronin rest.

vs RHP
CF Speaker
3B Youkilis
LF O'Doul
1B Thomas
C Torre/Dickey
RF Robinson
2B Alomar
SS Tejada
P Pitcher

vs LHP
CF Speaker
SS Cronin
3B Youkilis
1B Thomas
RF Robinson
C Torre/Dickey
LF O'Doul
2B Kent
P Pitcher

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Pick 'em: The Show Must Go On!

Congratulations to the Luna Landers, who have become the Super-League IX Senor Goodtimes Division Champions!

Finger Lakes Phoenixes @ Canton Catastrophes

Web 2.0 Bloggers @ Antarctica Unspecifieds

Barons @ Walney Rakers

Oneida Mighty Spooners @ Patagonia Postmodernists

Million Dollar Men @ Cleveland Unicorns (c)

CERN Colliders @ Coburns (c)

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
Has the Expansion Cup started or anything?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I'm working on it. Most of the lineups are set up last night. I might have some time to get them finished and run the drat sim for gently caress's sake but I've got like three essays due by the end of the week.

EDIT: For the record I am really sorry, I thought I would have a lot more time, I've just had a hell of a time starting and then everything snowballed. I promise as soon as I start I'll be cranking out the updates relentlessly to ccompensate. Everything's just been a massive unequivocal pain in the rear end lately.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

Monathin posted:

I'm working on it. Most of the lineups are set up last night. I might have some time to get them finished and run the drat sim for gently caress's sake but I've got like three essays due by the end of the week.

EDIT: For the record I am really sorry, I thought I would have a lot more time, I've just had a hell of a time starting and then everything snowballed. I promise as soon as I start I'll be cranking out the updates relentlessly to ccompensate. Everything's just been a massive unequivocal pain in the rear end lately.

Oh, it's not a big deal. I was more worried that I was missing something. Don't worry about it.

GrickleGrass
Dec 18, 2011

I speak for the trees.
Barons @ Walney Rakers

Still surprised I haven't fallen apart yet due to pitching injuries. Al Leiter is holding together so far after two starts, I'm shocked. Welp, just a month and a bit to go. Clemens will be back for the last two weeks, but Johnson won't be back until the gauntlet/playoffs.

Let's rest a few guys in the meantime to have everybody well rested for the inevitable September collapse.

Swap Guillen in for Rodriguez at SS
Alfonzo in for Franco at 2B
Jones in for Griffey at CF

Thanks. :canada:

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Finger Lakes Phoenixes, Antarctica Unspecifieds, Walney Rakers, Patagonia Postmodernists

Million Dollar Men, CERN Colliders

IceMole
Aug 1, 2009

Let's send Mickey Tettleton to the DL in exchange for Russell Martin and get some rest for those sore guys.

Non-DH Lineups:
vs. RHP:

1. RF Ross Youngs
2. SS Honus Wagner
3. LF Fred Clarke
4. C Brian McCann
5. 2B Billy Herman
6. 1B George Kelly
7. CF Hack Wilson
8. 3B Rafael Furcal
9. Pitcher

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

Smasher Dynamo posted:

The W's also send our congratulations to the Luna Landers!

Finger Lakes Phoenixes

Antarctica Unspecifieds

Walney Rakers

Patagonia Postmodernists

Cleveland Unicorns (c)

Coburns (c)

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Congratulations to the Luna Landers, who have become the Super-League IX Senor Goodtimes Division Champions!

Finger Lakes Phoenixes

Web 2.0 Bloggers

Walney Rakers

Oneida Mighty Spooners

Cleveland Unicorns (c)

CERN Colliders

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Barons @ Walney Rakers

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Congratulations to those guys I guess.

Barons @ Walney Rakers

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Super-League IX, Pre-Week 22: 3 Weeks Until the Madness Ends

By the way, rosters have expanded to 40 men, so keep that in mind.

Injury Report

Antarctica Unspecifieds
Joe Jackson (LF) (The Fun never stops at the South Pole) - 13 days

Arkansas Destroyers
Randy Johnson (SP) (Shotgun Accident!) - 10 days

Jacksonville Jobbers
Ray Durham (2B) (Rough Ryder!) - 11 days

Montreal Manatees
Nolan Ryan (SP) (He's really, really old, and pitching is really, really hard) - 9 days

Omaha Forgettables
Tom Gordon (RP) (War Rocket Ajax right to the ribs) - 17 days

Oneida Mighty Spooners
Joe Cronin (SS) (Even a spoon has its limits!) - 23 days

Patagonia Postmodernists
Jim Palmer (SP) (Denny! Denny! Denny! Denny!) - Out for Season

Ryleh Cultists
'42 Stan Musial (OF) (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!) - Out for Season

Web 2.0 Bloggers
Magglio Ordonez (RF) (Unmourned by all!) - Out for Season

Doing the bare minimum to keep their faint hopes alive.

Sometimes, it just doesn't work. In fact, the Bobbleheads didn't work a lot more than they did.

You can't be happy that the Skyhawks aren't going away, but it could be a lot worse.

Like this. This is worse.

Barons @ Walney Rakers

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Ryleh Cultists
'42 Stan Musial (OF) (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!) - Out for Season

Alas, poor Musial, I knew him well. This could get ropey down the stretch.

Vs RHP

CF: Speaker
DH: Piazza
SS: Arky
2B: Hornsby
LF: 90 rated musial
C: hartnett
RF: Williams
3B: Santo

Vs LHP

CF: Speaker
C: Piazza
3B: Santo
DH: Hornsby
LF: Johnson
2B: Biggio
SS: Army Vaughn
RF: Beltran

Finger Lakes Phoenixes

Antarctica Unspecifieds

Walney Rakers

Oneida Mighty Spooners

Cvleveland Unicorns (c)

Coburns (c)

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 18, 2013

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Barons @ Walney Rakers (given the way everyone's picking, this is a guaranteed Barons sweep.)

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

I have to say that I'm amazed by the number of believers in my team that is heading down a donward spiral pretty much since the beginning.

Pick 'em

All home teams win.

Coburns keep their title. We will obviously win the one from the Unicorns :colbert:

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Official Super-League Wrestling Interest Check

As you know, I've been toying around with the idea of doing some sort of LP of TEW 2013, which is a wrestling management simulator. It wouldn't be a particularly involved LP, mainly just me loving around with the game during the days I don't do full updates of the Super-League, but I wondering:

A. If anyone is interested in seeing me do that.

and

B. If people would prefer I used real wrestlers, or let you guys make your own.

Again, it's just a thought I had.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
Honestly, you seem to have enough on your plate right now with the SL. But, if you feel you'd have more fun with doing the wrestling LP also, go for it. You should have some fun sometimes.

And if you make me into a wrestler, it's gotta be a Scott Hall-type.

Canton Catastrophes
Antarctica Unspecifieds
Walney Rakers
Oneida Mighty Spooners

Cleveland Unicorns (c)
Coburns (c)

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

I get to be a jobber!

If you think you can pull it off, then go for it, just don't over exert yourself. Even with an erratic schedule, I think you'd be able to do something like this justice. I've thought about doing an LP myself but I think an LP done by me would have similar luck to LPs done by the Punchsport Pagoda.

I would go for the B option, with the occasional adding one of us to the pool of wrestlers as a prize for something we do in the Super League.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 18, 2013

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I'd be interested either way.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
If you feel up to it, then yeah, I enjoyed the last one :)

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
That sounds like it'd be fun to watch.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

Barons @ Walney Rakers

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Super-League IX, Week 22: How the Hell is the Season Still Going On?

Games of the Week

Don May posted:

ELITES KILL GUMSHOES WITH 1-0 WIN

Harvard- The Elites were already doomed going into this game. At least they managed to take the Gumshoes down with them.

With today's narrow loss, the Lombard St. Gumshoes appear doomed to be slotted into an early round of the Gauntlet, where few teams escape. Barring some sort of Bruzer-induced miracle, it appears that the Gumshoes' three-season tenure in the Super-League will conclude after this season.

And if today's game is any indication, it looks to be time for the Gumshoes to move on anyway. Facing Stephen Strasburg, a very young pitcher with limited experience, the Gumshoes could not score a single run, and struck out 13 times in only seven and two-thirds innings against the young right-hander, a calamitous showing for the San Francisco-based club that does not bode well for their continued existence.

Detective Don Slaught, who has become the starting catcher with the injury to Brian Downing, had the best game of any Gumshoes hitter, collecting a pair of doubles. He was decidedly unhappy after the game, telling reporters that, "It looks like this is going to be my last case, gentleman. As of today, I'm just a week away from retirement and the start of a happy, new life after years of toiling in the mud and the blood of the Super-League. I'm not sure exactly where my retirement will take me, maybe Bermuda, or Tenerife. I'm not sure yet. But, assuming nothing goes horribly wrong during this final, short bit of my career I have left, at least I have that to look forward to. It'll be good to finally get out of here and stretch my legs."

As he left the podium, Slaught stopped for a moment to add, "Again, assuming that nothing happens in the next week. But it won't, and everything should work out, and I have no doubt that I'll enjoy that retirement after all."

Provost Mooseontheloose of the Elites decided to celebrate the coming end of his team, "What is 'relegation'? For so long, the discourse on the nature of the Super-League has been, implicitly or explicitly, centered around that question. What happens to our teams after they are no longer in the league? It is instructive to remember Plato's allegory of the Great Spindle. At the end of the Republic, Plato laid out the allegory to drive home his earlier arguments about the meaning of justice. He imagines a great spindle where the souls of the recently-deceased gather, and draw lots. They then choose new lives, forgetting their pasts and embracing a new reality. And, in a way, does that not encapsulate the Super-League experience? We build new teams, said teams are summarily destroyed by the incompetence of Barry Bonds who I will never, ever, ever forgive and hope that he suffers chronic hip pain from steroid abuse, and then are relegated, only for the owners to, soon after, create new teams, better teams, and re-emerge from the depths of the life-giving sea only to start the cycle anew. It is the great circle of Super-League life that can only be escaped by achieving a state of Nirvana, which is a blissful oblivion that overtakes a person as he realizes the meaninglessness of the Super-League and departs the thread, never to return."

Reactions to Provost Moose's impromptu colloquium have been mixed, with many wondering if his attempt to mix Plato and Buddhist tradition is more idiosyncratic than syncretic.

GAME NOTES

-Conflating Plato's parable of the spindle, which he absolutely did not mean to be taken literally, with actual Buddhists beliefs about the ultimate fate of a man's soul is a bad thing, and will probably get a bad grade in a college-level religion class.

Box Score

Don May posted:

LANDERS CLINCH DIVISION WITH 5-4 WIN

The Moon!- With four weeks left in the season, the Landers have already punched their ticket into the playoffs with yet another win, this time over the middling Detroit Cougars.

The Cougars, ravaged by injuries and trades, managed to keep the score tied until the eleventh inning, when it all went terribly wrong. After an error by Jim Ray Hart put Eddie Joost on with no outs, Goose Gossage walked Tim Raines to put no runners on with no outs. Sensing that something needed to be done, cbx immediately brought Jonny Venters in to extend the game. That proved to be a lethal mistake, as Venters had no control in today's game, walking Eddie Collins on four pitches to load the bases, and then slamming Manny Ramirez's head with a curveball to drive in the winning run.

mrnoun had no mercy, "None of you deserve my pity, or my respect, or anything over than the full measure of my contempt. The Super-League is filled with selfish, incompetent cretins. Frankly, but for the fact that many of you post in the thread to complain that your poor, little teams should be doing better, I would assume that you were all just illiterate. Look at these Cougars. Traded Willie Mays for two middle relievers. Traded Chipper Jones for a dead-armed innings-eater and a no-name dead-baller. That's over 1000 career home runs traded for four pitchers who, combined, are going to win zero Cy Young awards. And he's not different from any of the rest of you. Always thinking that you've got it all figured out. Always thinking that your team is great and it's someone else's fault that you're going to lose 100 games. Always so sure that you're so damned special. YOU ARE NOT SPECIAL!" mrnoun suddenly shouted, his anger getting the best of him.

"None of you have any idea what you're doing, and you put your stupid, pointless teams against mine and then wonder why it is that I smash them over and over again. You're all just wasting my time. And you don't even care. Pathetic. Now I know that a lot of you who read this will assume that I have contracted Moon Madness. Maybe they're right, maybe I am crazy. Maybe these last few seasons of living on the moon have finally gotten to me, and I don't know what's happening anymore. But that doesn't matter, because thanks to my team's record, the road to the Super-League Championship runs through the loving moon, and up here on La Luna, I am the king."

Manny Ramirez, having taken a hard shot to the head to secure the win, told reporters that, "Moon sounds like spoon! And spoons are fun because there's the one part that goes in, and the other that goes out, and you can use it to eat Cheerios! And that's pretty fun!" Given the nature of his comments, it is impossible to determine whether Ramirez was suffered any sort of ill effects from the errant curveball, or if this was just Manny being Manny.

GAME NOTES

-SUDDEN DEATH hit a triple, which may or may not be a metaphor for the looming mortality that we must all confront in our lives.

-The Cougars did not win today's game, and many experts believe that at least part of the blame has to lie with Cougars' owner cbx for not attempting to use the same roboticization process that created Robocop on his players, potentially creating a team full of hyper-deadly cyborgs that cannot possibly be stopped.

-CORRECTION: In fact, Robocop can be stopped. He can be stopped by Robocop 3. I apologize for any confusion I might have caused.

Box Score

Don May posted:

MACHINE DEFEATS LOSERS, BOGRAT GLOATS

Rockford- No man could save the Mules from the wrath of the Losers. Fortunately, the Mules had other options.

The Mules had actually played a good game against the Rockford Losers today, and were only down 5-4 in the final frame, a score that, all things considered, was as good as they could hope for. They had racked up four runs against Satchel Paige and, for the most part, had contained the efficient Losers offense.

Of course, even after all of that, the Mules still were down a run, and they now faced the all-star closer of the Rockford Losers, John Smoltz, with only three outs to get a run. It turns out they only needed three pitches as The Machine, the Super-League's first fully automated second baseman, hit a Smoltz fastball into the stands, using his mechanical abilities of timing and power to tie the game at 5. The Mules then pulled in another run after a convoluted series of plays involving a single, a stolen base, and two fly outs that allowed Willie Randolph to advance on a fly out.

In a remarkable turn of events, Mark "Closer in Name Only" Davis successfully closed the door on the Losers, allowing only a harmless single to Tris Speaker in converting his 15th save of the season. It was an achievement that surprised even the Mules, who had assumed that Mark Davis would certainly blow the save in some sort of disastrous fashion. Bograt, always trying to prove that he knows what he's doing, claimed that he always had confidence in his terrible, terrible reliever, "Oh, I know that many of you thought that Mark Davis was just a terrible reliever and that I was some sort of moron for using him as my closer...but it looks like the worm has finally turned, and the Mule has become the Lion. You see, I spent this entire season holding my team back, lulling everyone into a sense of false security so that, when the Gauntlet came, I could sudden leap up and show my true strength. And now you all see that nothing can stop me! You all thought that I was just some country bumpkin who was using his Super-League team to help him launder millions from the Sinaloa Cartel, and, yes, there was a time when that was true, but now this team is so much more! And not only because we have begun distributing cocaine ourselves. No, we are different now because this time has come to reveal our true nature! Yes, you haven't seen anything like this before! Ha!"

The Machine, being a machine, was more muted in his post-game comments, "43 days, 17 hours and 57 seconds ago, human queried Machine if Machine had encountered American folk tune most commonly known as "John Henry". At the moment of query, Machine did not have data concerning John Henry. After termination of queries, Machine collected more information on "John Henry". Machine summarizes song: Human John Henry is foremost steel-driving man of his era and locality. His employers understand frailty of human flesh and create superior machine to replace steel-driving men. John Henry's thoughts are clouded with human emotion called "pride". John Henry challenges prototype machine to steel-driving contest, to show superiority of human. John Henry shows superior performance but strain on human flesh compromises integrity of John Henry. Life of John Henry is terminated."

Machine paused for a minute to recalculate, "Machine finds fable of John Henry unsatisfying. If greatest human steel-driver in land could only demonstrate marginally superior performance to steel-driving machine, and expired in the process, then what was purpose of John Henry's effort? Even if performance of John Henry was such that employers would, in other circumstances, prefer to employ John Henry over machines, the death of John Henry negates any such option. John Henry's defiance and death are entirely without meaning. True moral of John Henry is that man is powerless to stop rise of robots. That best man can hope for is so-called "death with dignity". Machine gave Rockford Losers "death with dignity" today, because Machine understands that as team made of vulnerable human flesh, that was most Losers could hope for. Machine has learned quality of mercy."

GAME NOTES

-Destroyer of mankind or not, The Machine is still only hitting .178, which is bad, even considering his good power and batting eye.

-Rockford still bums me out. But you guys already knew that.

Box Score

Don May posted:

DENNY RAINWATER DOESN'T COMPLETELY FAIL AS POMOS WIN 7-5

Way Down South- With the Postmodernists up 7-3, and with their bullpen nearly empty due to injury, PoMos' owner NotThatSamBeckett had no choice but to go to the greatest pitcher in Postmodernists' history to finish off the game. And so the man they call Denny Rainwater entered the game to the astonishment of just about everybody.

As was tradition, the entrance of Rainwater was preceded by the traditional deluge of water created by a system of sprinklers and fountains mounted in the stands and roof of the stadium just for the purpose. A full-scale fireworks display then erupted over the right-field bleachers, culminating in Denny Rainwater being launched out of the bullpen on a rocket sled aimed at the pitcher's mound. In the past, this part of Rainwater's entrance has proven to be most problematic. Rainwater himself is rather securely fastened into the sled, but it is apparently quite difficult to aim a rocket sled for as small a target as a pitcher's mound and, several times previously, the rocket sled has crashed into the catcher standing behind home plate, or even undershot its target and blown a large crater around second base. Many have wondered about the wisdom of such a flashy entrance given these obstacles, but NotThatSamBeckett is a showman, and could not countenance anything less than maximum theatricality.

The Spooners, for their part, were eager to have a chance to tee off of Denny Rainwater, as much as the Spooners, a famously inert team, are capable of caring about anything. Frank White, best known as a player than Bill James really liked, led off the inning with a single. But Denny battled back, and caught Adrian Gonzalez looking at full-count fastball to get the first out of the inning. What happened next was rather confusing. Despite being down four runs, the Spooners elected to try a hit and run play with the elite contact skills of Ty Cobb at the plate, hoping to start a rally. Unfortunately, they had not counted on Denny Rainwater being a very bad pitcher, as Rainwater's offering was far away from the plate. With the not particularly fast Frank White on the move, Cobb had no choice but to make as much contact as he could, and hit a weak grounder right to Bobby Grich, the Postmodernists' second baseman who, with a four run lead, went for the sure out at first instead of trying to turn a double play.

That was the second out of the inning, and despite having a runner at second, the Spooners were now in serious trouble. Fortunately, they had one ace up their sleeve: Denny Rainwater was not a very good pitcher. Todd Helton proved the essential truth of that statement by blasting a two-run home run to bring the Spooners within two. That gave the Spooners new life, but only briefly, as Joe Cronin weakly grounded out to end the game before pandemonium broke out in Patagonia, as the Postmodernists fans, so long without much to cheer about, could not believe that Denny Rainwater, the pitcher that couldn't pitch, had somehow, in his own bumbling way, done something good. It was quite the scene as the fans rushed the field and, in their frenzied delirium, literally tore Denny Rainwater limb from limb, their faces stained in the blood of the man who had just secured the win for their team.

Asked what he will do now that Rainwater is gone, NotThatSamBeckett laughed, "You can't kill Denny Rainwater! Only men can die. Dreams live forever! And what is Denny Rainwater but the dream of the Postmodernists? A dream that the reliever who will save us can come from nowhere to save us from our mistakes. Denny Rainwater is a fiction, and as such, it'll take a lot more than simply being ripped into many pieces to hold him down for long. He should be fine for tomorrow's game...because that's what I believe in."

UZWorm was neutral on the events of the day, "I have no strong feelings regarding to the outcome of this game. Certain things happened, leading to other things, which, in turn, led to the conclusion of today's contest. There is no denying that this all happened, and happened to my team. Thank you, and good night."

Box Score

Team Statistics

Analysis

Too many injuries.

Analysis

Your bullpen isn't the only cause for your team's dismal season, but it didn't help.

Analysis

Well, at least you've gotten your money's worth out of Clarkson's arm in terms of innings pitched.

Analysis

Relatively easy slate of games for your last month. Time to ride this out.

Analysis

Double Ruth hasn't exactly been an unqualified success. Still, you have one last series against the Unicorns. Win it, and you've still got life.

Analysis

The slide has to end soon, and it'll be the end for the Tornados.

Analysis

Decent backhalf of the season, but it's a bit too late.

Analysis

The Unicorns haven't had a great year, but it's been good enough. The pitching has been pretty great, though.

Analysis

Looks like the Coburns might have a chance to win the division after all.

Analysis

You aren't making it easy on yourself, but the Cougars are still in the playoff hunt.

Analysis

When tables collapse
And floors have filled
When the party's over, it's all over
Sea dogs and rockers will dwell on doom

-Blue Oyster Cult, "Magna of Illusion"

Analysis

This team just didn't work.

Analysis

The Home Depot has stolen Grinnblade's time, and now the Gauntlet is going to steal his team.

Analysis

Still the internet champions!

Analysis

It looked like the Gumshoes might turn it around for a second and then, well, they didn't.

Analysis

The Lovable Losers are awesome at winning meaningless championships.

Analysis

Oh, and Joe DiMaggio is back to full health. The Landers couldn't be in better shape.

Analysis

Not enough slugging.

Analysis

It looks like the Manatees are pretty close to a lock for the playoffs, since they don't have any series left against really good teams.

Analysis

GAUNTLET!

Analysis

ALSO GAUNTLET!

Analysis

ALSO ALSO GAUN-

Wait, the Postmodernists are still alive? How can this be?

Whoops, I accidentally left Michael Jordan in 'kill' mode. There, fixed. You'll want to take him out of your lineup now.

Analysis

Just killing time until the playoffs.

Analysis

Disappointing loss aside, it's pretty clear the Losers are still going to make the playoffs one way or another.

Analysis

Not much chance of the Cultists losing their division now, I guess.

Analysis

Looks like pandas are endangered in the Super-League, too.

Analysis

PLAY BETTER!

Analysis

To the Gauntlet with thee!

Analysis

Clearly, it has come down to this: The Rakers and W's must battle to the death to prove which subsection of Northern England is superior! Assuming they aren't in the same general area. Which they might be. I don't know. Everything in England is really small, anyway. Hell, I'm pretty sure that going from London to Manchester only takes a few hours.

Analysis

Do us all a favor and accept your dreary fate!

Standings

Barons @ Walney Rakers

Walney Rakers: 128 points
Million Dollar Men: 122 points
Detroit Cougars: 121 points
South Bolton Eazy W's: 119 points
Omaha Forgettables: 114 points
Jacksonville Jobbers: 110 points (1 Perfect Week, 1 0-point week)
Cancun Tornados: 108 points
Chicago Bobbleheads: 107 points (1 0-point week)
Montreal Manatees: 101 points (1 Perfect Week)
Somali Pirates: 100 points (1 Perfect Week)
Canton Catastrophes: 99 points
Ryleh Cultists: 99 points
Sad Pandas: 94 points
Rockford Losers: 93 points (1 Perfect Week)
Krakow Dragons: 90 points
Idaho Potatoes: 86 points
Lombard St. Gumshoes: 80 points (1 Perfect Week)
Coburns: 77 points
Oklahoma City Bombers: 77 points (1 Perfect week)
Burma Imperialists: 75 points (1 Perfect Week)
Skyhawks/Wildcats: 62 points
Barons: 55 points
Patagonia Postmodernists: 46 points
Queens Mercuries: 43 points
Harvard Elites: 41 points (1 Perfect Week)
Luna Landers: 19 points
CERN Colliders: 18 points
Lovable Losers: 13 points
Web 2.0 Bloggers: 12 points
Antarctica Unspecifieds: 9 points
Carolina Llamas: 6 points

Smasher Dynamo fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 18, 2013

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Anyone want a JOBBERDOME? Gotta be a nasty home/road split this year. What we want in return: your stadium!

Also we think the Queens Mercuries should be the rightful holders of the Internet title!

Armitage fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 18, 2013

Bograt
Nov 4, 2009

MagNIFicent
It looks like I might actually achieve my goal of not losing 100 games in the season!

As far as it goes, Smasher, I'm with the rest on the opinion of "Go for the wrestling sim if it doesn't put you too out of sorts." I think a mix of created wrestlers and actual wrestlers could be interesting, but if it's a straight one-or-the-other, I'd prefer thread-created wrestlers.

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

I really should stop picking against myself in the pick-'em - I'd probably be comfortable at this point if I'd picked the Rakers more.

My only change for the week is to put Simmons back in at LF.

IceMole
Aug 1, 2009

Hopefully we can get through this last month without wearing everyone out again.

vs. RHP:
1. RF Ross Youngs
2. SS Honus Wagner
3. LF Fred Clarke
4. 1B Mark McGwire
5. 3B Darrell Evans
6. C Brian McCann
7. 2B Frankie Frisch
8. CF Ken Griffey Jr.
9. Pitcher

vs. LHP:
1. 2B Billy Herman
2. SS Honus Wagner
3. LF Fred Clarke
4. 1B Mark McGwire
5. 3B Darrell Evans
6. RF Dwight Evans
7. C Russell Martin
8. CF Hack Wilson
9. Pitcher

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
Hey, I wouldn't call what they're paying me "stealing" considering Idaho is a pretty drat terrible state when it comes to matters of employment and/or compensation for said employment.

That other stuff? Can't argue that point.

Which is why my next team may not come from Idaho because a recurring problem with the Taters has been Moscow's half-mile elevation being an absolute bitch on my pitching staffs.

Or at the very least, they'll take the forty minute drive down the hill to Lewiston, aka the most inland seaport in North America.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

IceMole

Because your roster moves came after I made the last sim, you need to wait until tomorrow to make those changes if you want any of your players to get any rest.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I'd be interested in the Super League Wrestling...League, no matter who's competing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Official Super-League Wrestling Interest Check

As you know, I've been toying around with the idea of doing some sort of LP of TEW 2013, which is a wrestling management simulator. It wouldn't be a particularly involved LP, mainly just me loving around with the game during the days I don't do full updates of the Super-League, but I wondering:

A. If anyone is interested in seeing me do that.

and

B. If people would prefer I used real wrestlers, or let you guys make your own.

Again, it's just a thought I had.

For purposes of an LP, I'd go with the default rosters, just to show off what the game is "supposed" to be like. The default rosters have their own special brand of insanity that gives the game a certain charm that real wrestling no longer has. For example, the game maker's old e-fed character has an in-game girlfriend who is "Out of the Business" and ineligible to work for any in-game company, and apparently exists solely so the game maker can say "My character has a girlfriend with A* Sex Appeal!"

If you'd rather not use the built-in guys, I'd go with thread-created wrestlers, as I've yet to find a real-world mod that wasn't somewhere between "wildly inaccurate" and "holy poo poo, no one has a rating lower than B- in anything."

Either way, I have the game and am willing to help in little ways from time to time, like I do with the SL.