Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

I'm never climbing outside. :yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

remote control carnivore posted:

Go to Potrero Chico and you can experience the horror of 10” long centipedes coming out of what you thought was a great hold! :gonk:

I've been an exclusive gym rat in my climbing career and was just considering making a trip outdoors for the first time but nope sorry I like climate controlled environments without snakes and centipedes.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

On Terra Firma posted:

I've been an exclusive gym rat in my climbing career and was just considering making a trip outdoors for the first time but nope sorry I like climate controlled environments without snakes and centipedes.

There’s also bats!

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

remote control carnivore posted:

There’s also bats!

And beads.

Maybe bees?

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I once had a climbing partner scared off a route by a weasel. We think it killed a nearby rat to commandeer its nest on a ledge on the opposite side of a crack.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

gently caress I encountered a few spooky spiders during my first few outdoor sessions last year and I completely forgot that that's going to be a concern again real soon :cry: I am such a wimp about bugs

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I remember one of the walls at shelf had a bunch of wasps buzzing around on it, maybe cactus cliff?

luckily we were there early in the season so it was still kinda cool for them

I’ve also had vultures pretty close by once, I guess they saw how poorly we were leading and figured they’d hang around a bit

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
I crimped a frog once, without any pro in over a bad landing.

We both survived :frog:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Hauki posted:

I remember one of the walls at shelf had a bunch of wasps buzzing around on it, maybe cactus cliff?

luckily we were there early in the season so it was still kinda cool for them

I’ve also had vultures pretty close by once, I guess they saw how poorly we were leading and figured they’d hang around a bit

Ha, nice one.

In climbing news, I roped up yesterday. I currently have little stamina.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Question time.

Should I spend a bunch of money on a gri gri or get a semi-assisted device like the black diamond pilot instead?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I like the megajul which you can also rap with, but I think every single strand assisted brake device is roughly equivalent. I don't like grigris and would advise against buying one, but I've also not put in the time to get the muscle memory down for lead belaying with them.

In other news, I sent the roofed 10d at the gym that I've been projecting for 3 weeks.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

KingColliwog posted:

Question time.

Should I spend a bunch of money on a gri gri or get a semi-assisted device like the black diamond pilot instead?

Honestly I think people should just get a grigri or something similar at this point. I really liked the pilot though, but I eventually replaced it with a vergo for that little bit of extra protection. I watch 10 year olds belay each other with grigris all the time and I'm not sure I'd trust them with an atc. Anyway it's still a bit of a holy war, although the pilot and grigri are on the same side of it anyway.

The thing about a pilot is that cbelaying with it feels like belaying with a grigri because it will lock if you don't feed the rope correctly, and you can't just hand it to someone and expect they can belay without some instruction, almost everyone has used a grigri. Of course I got a vergo anyway and it's worse than the pilot in terms of having to learn to belay with it in particular.

ETA: I think it also depends on your goals, most of that applies to single pitch sport and gym climbing.

M. Night Skymall fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 6, 2020

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Happiness Commando posted:

I like the megajul which you can also rap with, but I think every single strand assisted brake device is roughly equivalent. I don't like grigris and would advise against buying one, but I've also not put in the time to get the muscle memory down for lead belaying with them.

In other news, I sent the roofed 10d at the gym that I've been projecting for 3 weeks.

This is bad and wrong. Grigri's are good and the best assisted device of the all. Completely worth the money for the reliability and ease of use.

Way to go though on sending the roof.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

M. Night Skymall posted:

ETA: I think it also depends on your goals, most of that applies to single pitch sport and gym climbing.

double posting here but probably my favorite thing abut the grigri is top belaying on multipitch with it. Even if I have to bring another rap device it is way better then any of the guide modes (besides the pivot which comes close and you can rap with).

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

spwrozek posted:

Grigri's are good and the best assisted device of the all. Completely worth the money for the reliability and ease of use.

Sorry, this is bad and wrong. Grigris use a mechanical camming device to brake assist. Mechanical devices fail.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

KingColliwog posted:

Question time.

I have a gri gri and like it a lot. There was a bit of a learning curve but now it feels much better for lead belaying than an ATC, for me. And as mentioned, it is the ubiquitous assisted belay device. So you can expect other people to know how to use it, and it's idiosyncrasies and failure modes are relatively well established which is I think an advantage.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Sorry, this is bad and wrong. Grigris use a mechanical camming device to brake assist. Mechanical devices fail.

Expansion bolts and cams are mechanical devices too. Your personal risk tolerance is wherever you choose to set it, but if your major concern is the failure of a GriGri then I think that concern might be misplaced.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

do you have statistics on deaths as a result of mechanical failure vs human error?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

On Terra Firma posted:

every time i try to tell someone at the gym that i like bouldering indoors cause it’s a fun avenue to being fit but i don’t really care about going outdoors to squamish or whatever they look at me like i’m some sort of alien. bouldering is like the least judgemental group of ppl i’ve ever dealt with unless you say you don’t wanna go outside lol

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Verviticus posted:

every time i try to tell someone at the gym that i like bouldering indoors cause it’s a fun avenue to being fit but i don’t really care about going outdoors to squamish or whatever they look at me like i’m some sort of alien. bouldering is like the least judgemental group of ppl i’ve ever dealt with unless you say you don’t wanna go outside lol

When I tell them I like air conditioning and hate bugs they usually just go "ah yes fair points".

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

spwrozek posted:

double posting here but probably my favorite thing abut the grigri is top belaying on multipitch with it. Even if I have to bring another rap device it is way better then any of the guide modes (besides the pivot which comes close and you can rap with).

Yeah it's more that I just don't have a ton of multi-pitch experience, I feel like you're almost always going to take an ATC to rap with anyway, so I could see not wanting to bring a grigri. That said, I did my multipitch belaying with the vergo and just brought an ATC to rap cause it's not that big a deal.

I'd also like to pitch the Trango Vergo as a grigri alternative. I've owned I think every version of the grigri over the years, and the Vergo just feels so much more natural to belay with once you adjust to it. No matter how much time I spent with a grigri it never felt great to me. The Vergo also tries to eliminate the most common user errors with the grigri, mostly just holding the cam closed by default while belaying, which is really hard to do with the Vergo and definitely not necessary at any point to belay with it. It uh, did have some recalls back in 2016, but all that seems to be cleared up now.

On Terra Firma posted:

When I tell them I like air conditioning and hate bugs they usually just go "ah yes fair points".

You guys should just move somewhere with no outdoor climbing nearby, then everyone in the gym just talks about taking trips to slightly further away climbing gyms to see if the setting is any different, and they look at you weird when you explain how you drive 3-8 hours one way to climb with bugs when there's perfectly good plastic right here.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I will say watching people at the gym just constantly holding the cam on a gri is a favorite past time of mine.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Trango gear is scary to me. There were a lot of problems with the Cinch breaking because a pin got worn down, then they had the Vergo recall. Very hesitant to trust their gear after all that

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Xyven posted:

Trango gear is scary to me. There were a lot of problems with the Cinch breaking because a pin got worn down, then they had the Vergo recall. Very hesitant to trust their gear after all that

There's a big arrow pointing at the part of it to inspect, but yeah I think it's reasonable to at least keep an eye on their stuff, that's why I mentioned the recalls instead of just a blanket recommendation. If a different company would make an ergonomic assisted-belay device I'd at least try it, but the Vergo's the only one even trying imo.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Verviticus posted:

I feel this so hard, outdoor climbing is fun and all, and I love hiking and being outdoors, but there's so much extra junk you have to deal with for a decent outdoor climbing trip that it takes a lot of the pleasure away from the actual climbing part for me. I just want to throw myself at the wall and go home afterwards.

If you live like an hour's drive from some amazing rock then sure but driving for 4-6 hours to spend your entire weekend in a tent interspersed with some climbing in the wind/rain before driving home just doesn't seem like a great use of time plus you get weird looks from all the guys who think that it's the best thing ever.

DuK2gO
Mar 6, 2007
kek
Went outdoors for Valentine's. My second ever trip.

Pros:

Cons:
-Everything mentioned above
-Dogs and ice and cliffs don't mix. One of mine was inches from being some Looney tunes skit when she was sprinting everywhere near the canyon edge.
-Both times outdoors some kind of plan went sideways leaving actual time spent climbing pretty low
-sighting routes is its own skill when there aren't bright colors showing the problem. Definitely had to quit trying to evaluate rocks and just climb and have fun.

All information that's easily searchable/obvious but I'd definitely emphasize preparing. Heavy research into where you're going. Bring plenty of what you need. Leave stuff you don't. Time-frames should be loose at best yada yada yada. I love outdoor bouldering so far but I was able to have a great time and it was mostly me rucking a crash pad around all day as opposed to climbing. People need to understand that rock climbers are all different people and just because you love climbing doesn't mean you have to love outdoorsy stuff. I'm happy that I've found this passion as it's hitting it's stride and making its way to the main stage and am delighted that all different types of people can enjoy it in their own way. :3:

https://imgur.com/a/baf3RCs bonus for link clickers, bad at (phone) posting

DuK2gO fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 8, 2020

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Nice. It definitely gets easier with experience, and as you get to know the area you're climbing in.
I don't get the crag dog thing at all. My friend brought his husky with us once and we had the dumbest rescue to get it off like a 6 foot cliff. It also chewed through its harness and 2 different leashes.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

That's a good dog rescue. I've hung out with crag dogs that were great and chill, and I've hung out with crag dogs that immediately roll in human poo poo. I think, overall, I prefer not having dogs around at the crag.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

M. Night Skymall posted:

Nice. It definitely gets easier with experience, and as you get to know the area you're climbing in.
I don't get the crag dog thing at all. My friend brought his husky with us once and we had the dumbest rescue to get it off like a 6 foot cliff. It also chewed through its harness and 2 different leashes.

Lol. nice recuse. Crag dogs depend on the dog. I am about to find out with mine since we will be camping and climbing next weekend...

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

M. Night Skymall posted:

Climbers tend to be outdoorsy people who tend to have dogs because doing outdoors things is fun and doing outdoors things with a dog is generally more fun? Last time I went climbing for a weekend my friends brought their dog because we were climbing for three days and were planning on camping and hiking as well, so along came dog. Crag dogs who are well-behaved and chill and hang out with a group of climbers more than large enough to make sure the dog is calm are fine. A duo and probably a trio bringing a dog along is not cool at all. Its not safe for anyone involved, nor is it safe for anyone else at the crag. A calm dog with a bigger group of people there? Sure, whatever, I like hanging out with dogs too.

Its just some people are assholes and think I'll be ok with their dog wanting to play with me when I'm trying to belay someone because "its cool bro, he's friendly!" And those experiences have been a lot more memorable than the chill dogs.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 8, 2020

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

You got it exactly right. My dog is a great back country ski dog and is really good at down stays at the dog park. So we will see. I think he will be chill though. I will not be the jerk dog owner though.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
trying to figure out if a bouldering/climbing gym is uniquely good at spreading coronavirus because you're inhaling chalk that could be covered in it, or generally safe because you're basically never touching your face with your hands because they're covered in chalk and theres usually a lot of open space so you arent too close to other people (and the entire gym/all surfaces are outrageously dry)

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

My local gym is doing reservation time slots so they can have no more than 20 people inside at a time. I’m just not going.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

No way am I hitting the gym for awhile.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
Same. It seems like kind of an own goal at this point.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

I went to the climbing gym a couple days ago but that'll probably be the last time in a while

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Im out of the gym for at least two weeks while the schools are closed. Then it will either be closed because its pandemonium or ill make a judgement call. Until then, Im fingerboarding and rehabing and doing yoga and what have you.

I did go two days ago, but there was little to no cases here and I just spent all week teaching to hundreds of kids so the gym felt wayyyy safer than my job.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
My gym has been excellent over the last few weeks, it's much less crowded.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I’ve been thinking if I’m going to go, it will be on a weekday right when they open at 5:30 AM, and out by 7:30

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i usually go from 9pm to 11pm or so, so its never super busy, last few weeks have been pretty dead