Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Why is the Type 59 legendary status now? It's not even that good of a tank, and was victim to the extremely rare premium nerf (WG doesn't like nerfing premiums, merely phasing them out).

The turret is super bouncy and pubbies are too stupid to aim. Also it was, afaik, the first T8 premium med.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Steelion posted:

They should give the Challenger a 20pdr. The AT-7 gets one! The 17pdr was great at tier 5, good at tier 6, and i'm sick of it at tier 7.

Don't worry, WG compensated by giving the Charioteer two 20-pounders :v:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Why is the Type 59 legendary status now? It's not even that good of a tank, and was victim to the extremely rare premium nerf (WG doesn't like nerfing premiums, merely phasing them out).

Type 59 is legendary because back when it first came out you weren't able to buy gold ammo for silver, making it nearly invincible from the front if you angled at all. It was so good that WarGaming removed it from the store and it became legendary.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Fair enough. I had one from when it came out, and it never seemed that specifically spectacular to me. Oh well.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Well, back when it was introduced, there were no tier 10 meds or TDs yet, and the high tier MM was a bit weird. In effect, the Type only saw up to tier 9 heavies and TDs, and only up to tier 8 mediums. So Types were always the top mediums in any match they were in, plus there were shitloads of them wolfpacking all over the place. Pubbies just couldn't cope with all that, so it got a bit of a reputation.
EDIT: Oh yeah, the ammo thing helped too.
EDIT2: And also note that this was also before the general MM tightening so people were going against them in tier 5s.

It's still a good tank though. Pubbies are poo poo at aiming so the armor actually works, it's mobile enough and the gun is decent. I don't think it was ever nerfed either, actually it got a little overall buff in 8.2.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 15, 2015

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
That was also back before the normalization nerfs, so even your bog standard D-10 would punch through the UFP every other shot. Pubbies just saw an "OP wallet tank" and their brains turned off.

Dekatris
Jan 12, 2014
this is a real message from a real pubbie:

motto_7 (1:39:19 AM) lol dude dont give a chit about numbers ill worry about that when iam at tier 10

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I wouldn't say the Type 59 is an OP tank, but it's very easy to play, and it has a few quirks that can make it seem OP to people that don't understand the game (so, most pubbies). It's hilariously good at bullying even same-tier heavy tanks most of the time; I rarely have problems against T32's and I love fighting IS-3's in it because in a straight up fight I can usually win. If you find anything lower tier the Type 59 usually just walks all over it. It's a solid tank all-around, without any unusual weaknesses.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
It's pretty much entirely from constantly being top tier against tier 5 and 6 tanks, before gold rounds, when the MM liked to smash same type of tanks together (so you would get 5 type 59s on one team and Löwe, Löwe, Ferdinand on the other).

I racked one in a Panzer IV once, by going in through the lower, but it was pure luck. The power difference between tier 5s and 8s is enormous.

That said, I wouldn't attempt to bully an IS-3 with it unless the bullying consists of peeking over a small hill where he can't shoot me back, 225 pen will go straight through it.

Speaking of rerolling, not every player with a low amount of battles and good stats is a reroll, some just genuinely get the game quickly. They don't tend to have hilarious gimmick names or clan memberships, however.

People will call anyone who beat them a reroll if they can. I've been called one, when I had between 9 and 12k battles.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I'd see it the other way, people say the Type 59 is not OP because good players can deal with it. They fail to understand that that's not enough to make something not OP. The Type 59 is very good at bullying incompetent players even if the driver is incompetent themselves.

Even at the higher skill levels a Type 59 is not noticeably deficient - noticeably being key, it is worse than some but better than others - in any way when compared to regular t8 mediums, except for the limited ammo capacity, and it gets preferential matchmaking. So bads in Type 59s beat bads in other tanks, and goods in Type 59s are largely on par with goods in same-tier mediums in absolute terms while being relatively better because they have preferential MM.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Nah, you can engage IS-3's with a Type 59 on flat ground, although I do prefer to do so in a way that turns it into a 1v1 so I can focus all my attention on the IS-3 if possible.

It takes a lot of practice, but you can get a feel for just about when an enemy is about to fire and wiggle your tank just before they do so, and turn a damaging shot into a bounce or have your track eat it. The Type has enough frontal armor and a fast enough rotation speed that it can get away with doing that pretty often.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Steelion posted:

They should give the Challenger a 20pdr. The AT-7 gets one! The 17pdr was great at tier 5, good at tier 6, and i'm sick of it at tier 7.

Yup. It's really retarded when tank upgrades don't get gun upgrades, and TDs often have something like heavy tank guns of the next tier (e.g. that AT-7 gets the 20 pdr from the Cent/Caern.)

McGavin posted:

Is it because they're too busy laughing about your lack of a Type 59?

:drat: :iceburn:

It's legendary because pubbies can't get them anymore. I had a pretty epic PM argument from the wot forum with an Aspie pubbie that started a "Ty59" drooling thread. In addition to doing bizarre things like switching his "O"s and zeros for everything he typed, I broke something in his brain when I pointed out that my recent stats were better than his. He typed a long comparison response that I dismissed with a "tl;dr" just to rub it in. He clearly got frustrated when I kept repeating all of the little OCD things that he would try to pretend he didn't do, and then he took his ball and went home. He deleted the conversation, which of course deleted all of my posts in the WoT forum software :rolleyes:, but I still have the e-mail notifications. Also, my recent stats are still equal or better to him, and he still doesn't have a Type 59. :smugdog: (And he still types things like "0bj7O4". :jerkbag:)

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Desuwa posted:

I'd see it the other way, people say the Type 59 is not OP because good players can deal with it. They fail to understand that that's not enough to make something not OP. The Type 59 is very good at bullying incompetent players even if the driver is incompetent themselves.

Even at the higher skill levels a Type 59 is not noticeably deficient - noticeably being key, it is worse than some but better than others - in any way when compared to regular t8 mediums, except for the limited ammo capacity, and it gets preferential matchmaking. So bads in Type 59s beat bads in other tanks, and goods in Type 59s are largely on par with goods in same-tier mediums in absolute terms while being relatively better because they have preferential MM.

Counterpoint: http://www.noobmeter.com/player/eu/colinbrett666/500373472/

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

He's still significantly better in his Type 59 than most, but not all, of this other t8s.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
He's improving at least, his last 45,852 battles has over 300 wn8.

Also, not even this guy can lose in the Black Prince, he's rocking a 53%+.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
How did this game ever got off the ground with tier 5s against 8s with no gold ammo, jeez.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

There really wasn't much in terms of competition. Turns out you'll put up with a lot when only one thing really fills a niche like that.

Also, Type 59 chat: It's also 'legendary' because a while ago somebody found and sold a code for a type 59. It went for like 300 dollars or something obscene like that, and I imagine the idea of "If somebody is willing to pay 300 bucks for an internet tank, it must be pretty loving good."

It is good, but not 300 dollars good. gently caress, the Object 260 doesn't look 300 dollars good, and that thing seems pretty amazing.

Rorac fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Apr 15, 2015

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Because it is addictive and you did have good games as well. But yeah, MM was completely hosed, and I did take a break for almost a year after I hit around 2k battles. It was just too painful grinding several tier 5s, 6s and 7s at the time; the KV saw tier 9s, the KV-1S and M6 saw tier 10s, tier 6 mediums saw the tier 9 IS-4 (I believe a goon has a video of a platoon of E8s circling an IS-4 and killing it with HE?), and I was a worse player because it was hard to survive long enough to learn anything.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

srb posted:

Because it is addictive and you did have good games as well. But yeah, MM was completely hosed, and I did take a break for almost a year after I hit around 2k battles. It was just too painful grinding several tier 5s, 6s and 7s at the time; the KV saw tier 9s, the KV-1S and M6 saw tier 10s, tier 6 mediums saw the tier 9 IS-4 (I believe a goon has a video of a platoon of E8s circling an IS-4 and killing it with HE?), and I was a worse player because it was hard to survive long enough to learn anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6_IHhb5KeU

This video, ~6:40 in for the IS-4 although the whole thing is a blast from the past! :3:

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Babby got his first tier XI, a T-54. It's nice and (near) stock and seems slow as poo poo, should I upgrade the tracks / engine or get the turret and gun first? Think it'll be pretty good if only it moved a bit faster but poo poo it'll be expensive firing nothing but gold with the 2nd (T-44) gun. Stock turret isn't bouncing poo poo, is the upgraded turret any better? Thinking I should make it mobile and just fire gold doing the daily x2 till I get the top turret / gun but I dunno I only played 1 game in it and was top tier like with all new tanks. Decisions decisions.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

maev posted:

How did this game ever got off the ground with tier 5s against 8s with no gold ammo, jeez.

There isn't a tier 5 in the game that can't pen every tier 8 from the side with silver. The game was way more fun when flanking was mandatory.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

DonkeyHotay posted:

There isn't a tier 5 in the game that can't pen every tier 8 from the side with silver. The game was way more fun when flanking was mandatory.

It was more fun when flanking was possible. Not many maps left where that's the case.

In a related note Steppes is great.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Fat Jesus posted:

Babby got his first tier XI, a T-54. It's nice and (near) stock and seems slow as poo poo, should I upgrade the tracks / engine or get the turret and gun first? Think it'll be pretty good if only it moved a bit faster but poo poo it'll be expensive firing nothing but gold with the 2nd (T-44) gun. Stock turret isn't bouncing poo poo, is the upgraded turret any better? Thinking I should make it mobile and just fire gold doing the daily x2 till I get the top turret / gun but I dunno I only played 1 game in it and was top tier like with all new tanks. Decisions decisions.

Mothball it until you can free-exp the D-10T2S. Once you have decent firepower the tracks and engine are a comfortable grind.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Is Object 263 worth it? I have it researched and all but can't be arsed to buy one because I'm not a fan of T10 gameplay. However, 263 is Top of the Tree on EU and on 30% discount, so I'm wondering is it any good and how does it stack with other T10 tank destroyers?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Gervasius posted:

Is Object 263 worth it? I have it researched and all but can't be arsed to buy one because I'm not a fan of T10 gameplay. However, 263 is Top of the Tree on EU and on 30% discount, so I'm wondering is it any good and how does it stack with other T10 tank destroyers?

It's a different tank destroyer. Powerful front armour, mobile, accurate high pen gun, but has the lowest alpha in class by quite a ways, opting for rate of fire instead. It's the style of TD we should have instead of one of those British bullshit cannons.

Open top makes it weak to artillery and taller vehicles though.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

and was victim to the extremely rare premium nerf

I've heard people claim the Type 59 was nerfed (as well as every other loving premium ever for that matter), yet I don't think I've ever seen anything resembling proof.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

I think it's more of a passive nerf, where the things that it faces got better and the game mechanics changed in ways that didn't really the Type 59 as much as other tanks that it'd face on a regular basis.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I swear at some point they lowered the armor in the turret on the Type and increased the aim time on the gun. This is just a hunch about something I thought happened 3 or so years ago but I dunno the FCM 50 is a better premium tank anyways.

Question about Female crew with the sisters in arms perk. Does that free skill count against the XP curve fro learning more skills or is it truly a "free" skill?

VVV Nice thanks.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 15, 2015

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

BadLlama posted:

I swear at some point they lowered the armor in the turret on the Type and increased the aim time on the gun. This is just a hunch about something I thought happened 3 or so years ago but I dunno the FCM 50 is a better premium tank anyways.

Question about Female crew with the sisters in arms perk. Does that free skill count against the XP curve fro learning more skills or is it truly a "free" skill?

It is a free skill. A regular crew at four full skills has the same XP invested into it as a five skill female crew.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Valle posted:

I've heard people claim the Type 59 was nerfed (as well as every other loving premium ever for that matter), yet I don't think I've ever seen anything resembling proof.

They actually buffed it a little, the gun used to be a pure D10T clone.

Now that was supposed to be part of a larger overhaul where they also reduced the gun dep to 5° and gave it a bit less turret bloom and slightly better mobility to compensate. Pubbies of course went crazy and WG pussied out on everything except the pen/alpha buff. Cowards.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Prav posted:

They actually buffed it a little, the gun used to be a pure D10T clone.

Now that was supposed to be part of a larger overhaul where they also reduced the gun dep to 5° and gave it a bit less turret bloom and slightly better mobility to compensate. Pubbies of course went crazy and WG pussied out on everything except the pen/alpha buff. Cowards.

ROF was also reduced to maintain DPM.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

WZ-120 Trip Report:

Owns.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Why can't you get a Type 59 anymore? I see goons giving out codes for them all the time.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Fat Jesus posted:

Free experience the turret and D-10T2S. For the love of god do this now before anything else. That tank is an unplayable horror without them. I ground out the exp for the turret before using free exp for the gun, and I bitterly regret the time spent trying to make it work while stock.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 15, 2015

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I think I made it to two or three games before free XPing the gun and turret.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Ensign Expendable posted:

ROF was also reduced to maintain DPM.

:rip: the lost 0,862 DPM. Harsh, but fair.

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

NotWearingPants posted:

Why can't you get a Type 59 anymore? I see goons giving out codes for them all the time.

Ask Hellsau, he might have a few.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

The French Army posted:

Ask Hellsau, he might have a few.

^

This Sunday is going to rock. MTLS is going to be the only tanks I will be playing.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

CitizenKain posted:

Tiers 1-3 are really only fun if you have the money to kit out a good crew with equipment. Honestly not sure how some people power through at as beginners anymore. While training a light crew in my 38H, I saw a group of people in Cruiser 3's, and they simply buzzsawed through entire groups. They all died when they got stuck in the middle of all the wreckage they caused and couldn't push out.

I started playing this game again at the behest of my coworker and lost access to my old account (didn't really care since I barely made it to tier 3 French tanks on it before quitting out of frustration like 2 years ago) and I've actually not had much in the way of problems in low tier matches in about any class.

I ended my light tank fun with the Pz I C (best light in the game) and have been progressing German mediums (Pz III/IV currently), American arty (M37, almost quit on the priest but suffered through to the m37 and it's amazing), Russian heavies (just got my KV-1 yesterday, working to the 1S now) and German TDs (on hetzer, nearly to Stug).

I've probably not ragequit because I'm raising multiple tanks so I just drop battle after dying and swap to another and also because I already knew the basics of the game before playing this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Also because you're not playing the French. gently caress them.