Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bojack Horseman is back July 17

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

July, not June, you made me think they had moved it up. :mad:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Rocksicles posted:

Not just 1080p, but a 45 min 7.5 gig 1080p file... thats some seriousness.

Some poor loving intern is getting so fired due to this "leak"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

Some poor loving intern is getting so fired due to this "leak"

The Flash pilot also "leaked". I wouldn't be terribly surprised to learn it was secretly on purpose.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Deadpool posted:

I'm always very dubious of pilot leaks, most of them are almost assuredly intentional. There was a lot of bad buzz on the trailer and I'm guessing this "leak" is basically going to be their focus testing. And from what I've read about the reactions to the full pilot, it seems to be pretty much in line with the reactions to the trailer.

EDIT: Oh, it leaked in 1080p too? No way that wasn't intentional. Pilots don't just leak in 1080p. Movies don't even really leak in 1080p.
Was the reaction really that bad? Obviously the advertisers loved it, but it seemed like the general sentiment that it was at least okay. I'd only assume the vocal minority (dooooods) kinda were a bit off about it because the trailer might've leaned harder on certain aspects?

All-in-all after watching it it was about like a "good" from me. Exactly almost what I expected from something written from Berlanti's camp honestly and on top of having to be a pilot-rear end pilot about everything. The lead is pretty much all that matters, many of the lines were way too on the nose for obvious yet preachy reasons, they checked all the pilot boxes, whatever. I think it'll fall into about the same rhythm as the Flash easily enough, and again I think Benoist is strong enough in the lead to carry the drat thing herself if needed, which is fine by me, though I think she has enough chemistry with the rest of the cast that they could never interact without her and it'd be fine.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyone with half a brain knows it's not a proper leak, it's carefully planned PR.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sober posted:

Was the reaction really that bad? Obviously the advertisers loved it, but it seemed like the general sentiment that it was at least okay. I'd only assume the vocal minority (dooooods) kinda were a bit off about it because the trailer might've leaned harder on certain aspects?

All-in-all after watching it it was about like a "good" from me. Exactly almost what I expected from something written from Berlanti's camp honestly and on top of having to be a pilot-rear end pilot about everything. The lead is pretty much all that matters, many of the lines were way too on the nose for obvious yet preachy reasons, they checked all the pilot boxes, whatever. I think it'll fall into about the same rhythm as the Flash easily enough, and again I think Benoist is strong enough in the lead to carry the drat thing herself if needed, which is fine by me, though I think she has enough chemistry with the rest of the cast that they could never interact without her and it'd be fine.

People around here hated it but elsewhere, nah.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Let's just get right to brass tacks: does watching Supergirl make me a good feminist, y/n?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Watching Supergirl is in fact that silver bullet everyone's been asking about. After you start watching it you'll become a better feminist than feminists themselves! Take that, feminists!

Just don't ask for the vagina shield or whatever crazy comic book nonsense.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No because they constantly talk about Superman therefore taking agency away from the female lead!!!!!!

(dunno)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Junkenstein posted:

Again though, this is the complete opposite of that. This twist actually explains every single question raised in a 'logical' manner. It's also not a case of IT WAS THE FUTURE ALL ALONG DUN DUN DUH, The End. It happens 2/3 way through the first book in a trilogy.

I'm not saying it's a good twist, it's crazy and will definitely cause some people to turn off, but it provides definitive answers to every mystery raised up to that point. Which is the antithesis of answering one question with four more like Lost and its rip-offs did.

it is stupid and lazy and undermines every reason anybody would watch that show to begin with

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sober posted:

Watching Supergirl is in fact that silver bullet everyone's been asking about. After you start watching it you'll become a better feminist than feminists themselves! Take that, feminists!

Just don't ask for the vagina shield or whatever crazy comic book nonsense.

Provided you're not a werewolf.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rocksicles posted:

Anyone with half a brain knows it's not a proper leak, it's carefully planned PR.

Early leaks are my new favourite PR stunt. I will gladly oblige the hype machine.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
"pirating is bad" "quickly upload this to a torrent site so we can gauge reactions, and retool as required in the 6 months we have spare." "pirating is bad"

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Just watched the pilot; things I liked:

1. No keeping her identity secret from her friends; the only regular who isn't in on it by the end of the ep is her rear end in a top hat boss. In fact, the secrets some other characters are keeping are laid out in the pilot, so hopefully this indicates fewer "I LIED TO PROTECT YOU" scenes beyond the pilot.

2. I guess this might be too early to tell but since it opens with "My name is __" and ends with a smash cut to the superhero's logo, it looks like it'll be leaning closer to the Flash formula than to a CBS procedural, which I think some people were worried about. .

Things I didn't like:

1. When I watched Agent Carter, I didn't think the males on the show were cartoonishly sexist, but wow, I did feel that here--and it was very on the nose about it too, complete with someone saying "why, because she's just a girl?" The military guy even flat out tells her to go back to fetching coffee.

Plus, the intro has Kara's parents telling her to protect Kal because he's going to do amazing things. As if they already knew Kara wouldn't? Or did I miss something? I mean, there was that recording they left her but for your last in-person words to your daughter to basically say "your cousin is gonna be awesome" is pretty sad.

2. A lot of people are annoyed by SHIELD doing pointless namedrops, or by Gotham's awful foreshadowing, but I'd say NOT dropping names when they're obviously talking about a well known character is way worse than either of those. I assume this is some dumb DC thing?

Also, did they make Zod female? Or is that just Faora?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Yeah OK but when does she fight with a sorceress over the hot gardener

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
GoT got the first 4 episodes leaked in lovely 240p, that was probably an actual leak. Right now there is a full HD 1080p copy of the Supergirl pilot that is almost 7 gb leaked to the internet. There is no loving way that is an accident unless a team of people broke into CBS studios, accessed the servers, databases, etc. and pulled out multiple versions of the pilot just in case they thought people wouldn't want to bother watching a SD pilot leak.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

GoT was already confirmed to be from a screener sent out. HBO changed their whole policy with those to streaming only because of it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

GoT was already confirmed to be from a screener sent out. HBO changed their whole policy with those to streaming only because of it.

Like it's hard to record a stream hahahah... ooo foiled...

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

It's probably easier to watermark the stream so you can ID who leaked it though, I'm guessing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I assume the point is more that it makes it so there isn't any disc out there that will work for anyone who pops it into a player.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

corn in the bible posted:

Yeah OK but when does she fight with a sorceress over the hot gardener

I hope she eats a tub of ice cream with her cat over a man like Wonderwoman did in her pilot. :3:

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Argue posted:

1. When I watched Agent Carter, I didn't think the males on the show were cartoonishly sexist, but wow, I did feel that here--and it was very on the nose about it too, complete with someone saying "why, because she's just a girl?" The military guy even flat out tells her to go back to fetching coffee.

Yeah and also the main alien bad guy saying "In our planet, females bow to the males".. And also the whole "supergirl" vs "superwoman" conversation. Like a lot of it is necessary and good conversation about sexism but I'm not sure a hokey superhero TV show is the place to do that.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Argue posted:

Things I didn't like:

That was probably him saying go back to your day job, not lol get my some coffee you weak girl. Also it was even more cartoonish on Agent Carter where they literally tell Peggy to get them some coffee or take notes because shes a secretary and the men are working. I mean unless he does that every episode I don't think Agent Carter has to worry about losing the over the top sexist crown anytime soon.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
In all fairness, Carter was a secretary and getting coffee was her job.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
That new Netflix "Between" show is terrible, I couldn't make it past five minutes of it

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Irish Joe posted:

Well, no, she wasn't a secretary. She was an agent, being given lovely administrative work. If she was a secretary, it wouldn't have been hard to get field work, it would have been impossible.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

thrawn527 posted:

Well, no, she wasn't a secretary. She was an agent, being given lovely administrative work. If she was a secretary, it wouldn't have been hard to get field work, it would have been impossible.

Well, poo poo. Now I kinda wish they had made it clearer that she was supposed to be an agent in the series, because it just doesn't come across in the show at all.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Irish Joe posted:

And she really quite frankly wasn't any good at it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

TLC has pulled any episodes of 19 Kids and Counting from the air, after the news broke of Josh Duggar molesting underage girls (including at least one of his sisters) when he was 14. No long term decisions have been made on the show's future.

Sorry if this has been talked about already. I've been out of town for a week, only now catching up on news feeds. And when I heard there was a Duggar sex scandal, this is not what I was expecting.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I bet that guy loves Star Trek.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I thought that the Sony email hack truthers were bad enough but now apparently every big leak is going to be accused of viral marketing.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

9/11 truthers are the same as Supergirl marketing leaks. Got it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

thrawn527 posted:

TLC has pulled any episodes of 19 Kids and Counting from the air, after the news broke of Josh Duggar molesting underage girls (including at least one of his sisters) when he was 14. No long term decisions have been made on the show's future.

Sorry if this has been talked about already. I've been out of town for a week, only now catching up on news feeds. And when I heard there was a Duggar sex scandal, this is not what I was expecting.

Now we just need to see which 3 of them are gay.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Aphrodite posted:

I bet that guy loves Star Trek.

He and his family did pretty much chalk it up to a childhood mistake...

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Rocksicles posted:

Like it's hard to record a stream hahahah... ooo foiled...

I.D's etc are given out for streaming, so if anything is captured they can trace it back exactly to who did it. A lot of places have been streaming episodes for critics for years and nothing has come of it yet.

And I'm not entirely convinced that the Supergirl leak was a PR stunt. Leaking that stuff can still hurt viewership, as well as backfire in a spectacular way. You would have to be REALLY confident in the product to leak it early and hope that you get positive word of mouth because of it. Plus, at least when studios have intentionally leaked something they usually do a better job of masking it, not just release a pristine copy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

I.D's etc are given out for streaming, so if anything is captured they can trace it back exactly to who did it. A lot of places have been streaming episodes for critics for years and nothing has come of it yet.

And I'm not entirely convinced that the Supergirl leak was a PR stunt. Leaking that stuff can still hurt viewership, as well as backfire in a spectacular way. You would have to be REALLY confident in the product to leak it early and hope that you get positive word of mouth because of it. Plus, at least when studios have intentionally leaked something they usually do a better job of masking it, not just release a pristine copy.

It was gangbusters for the Flash pilot, and this is the same production company so...

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

GreenNight posted:

9/11 truthers are the same as Supergirl marketing leaks. Got it.

The idea that Sony leaked so much compromising material on purpose as a marketing stunt or that it was a false flag operation by the US government to sew anti-North Korean sentiment is roughly as sane and logical as thinking that 9/11 was an inside job, yes.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Irish Joe posted:

Well, poo poo. Now I kinda wish they had made it clearer that she was supposed to be an agent in the series, because it just doesn't come across in the show at all.

You're a treasure :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zoux posted:

It was gangbusters for the Flash pilot, and this is the same production company so...

Even the Flash leak was an SD press screener and had some text at the bottom though didn't it? Apparently this is a master rip higher quality than what will be broadcast. An editor or something would have had to leak it unless it was intentional. That's a serious career loving if you got caught.

• Locked thread