Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

How do banner-towing planes take off and land? Do they just start with the banner lying on the ground behind the plane and drag it along the (presumably grass) runway, or do they winch it in somehow? What dangers do you have to be aware of in those operations?

There's been a guy in a PA18 towing a GEICO banner back and forth over the beach here every day this week, flying 30 knots over the ground according to ADS-B, and that seems like either a really relaxing job or a really mind-numbing one.

They take off without the banner. The banner is laid in the ground and the airplane catches it with a hook. It can be relaxing or mind numbing depending on where. In the middle of nowhere midwestern town it’s mind numbing. Along the coast of San Juan, PR or anywhere scenic it’s fun. Depends on the pilot. Some people prefer it to instructing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I believe they pick the banner up after takeoff by basically using a hook dangling under the airplane to grab the banner cable, which is suspended a few feet in the air.

The banner is supposed to get released before landing, and since both that and the pickup are done at low speed/altitude, that's where stuff tends to go wrong.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A coworker of mine used to be a banner pilot, and is the only person I’ve ever met with not one, not two, but three more takeoffs than landings in his logbook, all caused by mechanical failures of one flavor or another.

After the third one, he applied for the FAA.

:v:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Sagebrush posted:

How do banner-towing planes take off and land? Do they just start with the banner lying on the ground behind the plane and drag it along the (presumably grass) runway, or do they winch it in somehow? What dangers do you have to be aware of in those operations?

There's been a guy in a PA18 towing a GEICO banner back and forth over the beach here every day this week, flying 30 knots over the ground according to ADS-B, and that seems like either a really relaxing job or a really mind-numbing one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx8zNJNEGg0&t=144s

(fun at 2:24)

I was lining up on a runway last week on an XC and a guy swooped down the field next to the runway doing that. After the initial shock and panic passed, it was pretty amazing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Animal posted:

I totally understand why spin training is not a requirement. A lot of people freak out and react dangerously even on a Cessna 150. One experience I will never forget was training power on stalls with a guy who was scared shitless of stalls. As soon as the stall was imminent he jammed in his left leg into the rudder and locked the yoke to the right with all his strength. We lost over 2,500ft before I recovered the controls by yelling and punching him a few times in the ribs. He quit training for good. If we had been in a less forgiving airplane we could have died.

To me, this sounds like a story about why spin training is necessary. What happens when they gently caress up solo from a power-on stall entry and, boom, incipient spin? I want my students to have seen and recovered from that, and indeed a fully developed spin, before they even think about attempting a stall solo.

The reason you're supposed to recover from the spin 4000' AGL according to our training standards isn't because the spin characteristics of a 172 are very tricky, it's because you need to allow for strange fuckups, and I've seen a few!

Also, frankly, I think a lot of instructors who don't like spins transfer their anxiety to their students. Most of my students seem to enjoy doing spins, because I model enjoyment of doing spins. That's one of my absolute favourite lessons to teach, even if there's been one or two times I've had to pick bits of seat out my asscrack afterward.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

Sagebrush posted:

If you want to see that guy take off, he's operating out of south county, E16

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

PT6A posted:

To me, this sounds like a story about why spin training is necessary. What happens when they gently caress up solo from a power-on stall entry and, boom, incipient spin? I want my students to have seen and recovered from that, and indeed a fully developed spin, before they even think about attempting a stall solo.

The FAA reasoning was not only based on fatalities in spin training, but also the fact that research showed the majority of real-world spins were happening in situations like the traffic pattern or low level maneuvering flight, where there wasn't enough time for the spin to really develop (let along get corrected) before the airplane hit the ground.

Shifting towards an awareness/avoidance model seems to have been kind of a mixed bag, since there's still a lot of fatal loss of control accidents in general aviation, but the FAA made a push a couple of years back to try and cut that down, which seems to have worked to some extent.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Sagebrush posted:

The planes have a hook, like a tail-hook.

They take off, then circle around, fly low, and snag the banner, hoping that they don't screw up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLNC9w1j6HQ

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I didn't fly for about 2 weeks and I was surprised how nervous I was and how much I lost the feel. After about 15-20 minutes or so I calmed down and it was all back. I also stuck about 85% of the landing on my 4th flight (although I almost had my license in 2007). The only thing he helped me on was that I flared too early.

Just like the last time I trained years ago, my biggest detriment is confidence. There was an 11kt wind but it wasn't too far off the runway and since we were bumping around all flight (CTLS's are small) I just asked him to land. And he just said I keep selling myself short and just land the drat thing. I'm glad I did because I almost pulled it off.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I find looking at the left and right wing for about 5 seconds each “snaps” me out of it when I get tunnel vision like that.

Dude you have no idea how many licensed terrible pilots are making terrible injury free landings each day, every hour.

Keep pushing yourself because it all clicks eventually.

I tell my students this but I don’t think I figured out how to land until I was through with my commercial rating. Think about that.

Could I land? Yes, and safely. Did I get it down to an art? Not for a while.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I didn’t know how to truly land an airplane until I finished my CFI. :unsmith:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
My garmin G5 seems like it's about 20 degrees off when facing West.

I FEEL like I'm flying 270 but my indicator is showing closer to to 250 and telling me I have a XWIND of 42mph. The forecasted winds aloft were 220 at 20kts.......................so.......close but not that bad.

Anybody ever run into this before?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Airplanes burning leaded gas to circle over some sort of major gathering and display a banner ad has always seemed like one of the most stupid phenomena on planet earth.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Pryor on Fire posted:

Airplanes burning leaded gas to circle over some sort of major gathering and display a banner ad has always seemed like one of the most stupid phenomena on planet earth.

You should’ve seen south Florida in the early nineties. The beaches were SWARMED with banner planes. Offshore fishermen would pay for pilots to spot fish for them. Every small field had a full pattern most of the day with just obscene amounts of flight training.

Gas was cheap.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Captain Apollo posted:

My garmin G5 seems like it's about 20 degrees off when facing West.

I FEEL like I'm flying 270 but my indicator is showing closer to to 250 and telling me I have a XWIND of 42mph. The forecasted winds aloft were 220 at 20kts.......................so.......close but not that bad.

Anybody ever run into this before?

New magnetometer isn't installed right? The compass swing for those is a bit tricky.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

e.pilot posted:

I didn’t know how to truly land an airplane until I finished my CFI. :unsmith:

Same, tbh.

It doesn't get taught well. My landings improved a great deal when I started questioning the received wisdom of my instructors and decided to work out the physics of a landing from basic principles. My general feeling is that you can't improve your skill at landing unless you have a fundamental understanding of what is happening to the aircraft during the landing process, because you're basically just improving through trial-and-error, which gets expensive and frustrating.

It's all about that energy management, and if you can view a landing in those terms, you'll be able to understand what you need to do at any point to correct a poo poo landing.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Passed my PPL checkride :hellyeah: It was pretty straight-forward, about 1.5h for the oral, there were one or two things I completely didn't know (airmet letterings), but most of it was basic stuff that I knew well and could explain well. No trick questions.

The flying part was super short, 1.1h. We flew an XC leg out, then sim instrument, maneuvers, back for 3 laps in the pattern, boom, "you're a pilot now".

Minor amusing bit: We initially departed alongside an ILS corridor and some airliner on approach was advised but couldn't spot us so they broke off their approach and whined to tower that we were "right on the extended centerline". Tower snippily responded "no, he is 2 miles south, I have radar".

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Passed my PPL checkride :hellyeah: It was pretty straight-forward, about 1.5h for the oral, there were one or two things I completely didn't know (airmet letterings), but most of it was basic stuff that I knew well and could explain well. No trick questions.

The flying part was super short, 1.1h. We flew an XC leg out, then sim instrument, maneuvers, back for 3 laps in the pattern, boom, "you're a pilot now".

Minor amusing bit: We initially departed alongside an ILS corridor and some airliner on approach was advised but couldn't spot us so they broke off their approach and whined to tower that we were "right on the extended centerline". Tower snippily responded "no, he is 2 miles south, I have radar".

congrats!!! who are you taking flying?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Congrats!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

:frogsiren: CONGRATS! :frogsiren:

:peanut:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Thanks everybody :toot: Gonna take my wife up on Saturday morning for a little aerial tour. Whens your ride Sagebrush?

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Passed my PPL checkride :hellyeah:

Congrats, Mr PIC! :toot:

Enjoy all the :coal: flying.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Thanks everybody :toot: Gonna take my wife up on Saturday morning for a little aerial tour. Whens your ride Sagebrush?

Lucky you! (And congratulations!) Mine was supposed to be tomorrow but I just had to cancel it because the airport looks like this, and there's no such thing as a smoke forecast, so it's a crapshoot whether it'll be better in the morning.

I had the IACRA submitted and everything...but the good-ADM choice is "no, I will not attempt to fly in that." And I don't know when it will be yet because the DPE says he's booked up for weeks :(

Maybe I can drive up to Montana and do it with your guy

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 10, 2020

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
:stare: Jesus christ.

I JUST read the ADM chapter and took a practice test about 5 minutes ago and I'm going to agree with your decision.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

is right. Wowzers.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Hell yes. :getin:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Today is the 10 year anniversary of my first solo :)

For those newer pilots in here, I can tell you that I still haven’t forgotten that feeling.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Rolo posted:

Today is the 10 year anniversary of my first solo :)

For those newer pilots in here, I can tell you that I still haven’t forgotten that feeling.

No kidding, I'm coming up on 16 years since mine in two weeks and I still remember that feeling when my CFI hopped out and told me to get going!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I have a framed picture of mine with my instructor but I can't find it right now. It should be about 13 years ago.

I'm probably not too far away from soloing again.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Okay, so I'm taking up my first passenger as PPL PIC on Saturday, and then.... starting on instrument rating Sunday lol. I really don't know what the gently caress I'm doing with my life, but I'm pretty set on pushing straight through to instrument and commercial ASAP (maybe CFI, ME too?)

What are the pros/cons of doing those as a full-time program? I think getting instrument where I'm training now seems fine, but past that an accelerated full-time program for a few weeks seems like maybe a good idea? What are the options like for people somewhere between weekend-warrior, and gunning-straight-for-135/121-career? I think I have literally zero 135/121 job prospects realistically, but I love flying and I hate my stupid tech dipshit job, so I'm pretty flexible lol.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Okay, so I'm taking up my first passenger as PPL PIC on Saturday, and then.... starting on instrument rating Sunday lol. I really don't know what the gently caress I'm doing with my life, but I'm pretty set on pushing straight through to instrument and commercial ASAP (maybe CFI, ME too?)

What are the pros/cons of doing those as a full-time program? I think getting instrument where I'm training now seems fine, but past that an accelerated full-time program for a few weeks seems like maybe a good idea? What are the options like for people somewhere between weekend-warrior, and gunning-straight-for-135/121-career? I think I have literally zero 135/121 job prospects realistically, but I love flying and I hate my stupid tech dipshit job, so I'm pretty flexible lol.

I do recommend people do their ratings in a good accelerated school if they have the money and time. Flying is a lot like learning to play a musical instrument so if you go and do it every day you’ll become proficient very rapidly, and save money in the long run.

Did you wear that awesome Seadweller of yours during the checkride?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Animal posted:

I do recommend people do their ratings in a good accelerated school if they have the money and time. Flying is a lot like learning to play a musical instrument so if you go and do it every day you’ll become proficient very rapidly, and save money in the long run.

Did you wear that awesome Seadweller of yours during the checkride?

Nah, I went with the Gshock for PRECISION. DPE was wearing a completely balled out chonker of a Gshock, so it felt like the right choice post facto.

Edit: can you/anyone recommend schools? ATP is the obvious one, not terribly familiar with others.

Mao Zedong Thot fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 11, 2020

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Nah, I went with the Gshock for PRECISION. DPE was wearing a completely balled out chonker of a Gshock, so it felt like the right choice post facto.

You chose wisely. And seeing your pictures of the SD made my put my name in the hat for one though I have no chance of pulling off the look.

As for your aspirations of a career change, I think for now the best path is to do like Captain Apollo did and become a CFI and do that as a side gig while keeping your tech job. Once you have built up enough time, take the pulse of the aviation industry and think about it then. I know quite a few people in my company who did career changes in their 30's and even 40's and they don't regret it, but I'm sure there's also the ones who had bad luck or bad timing and are now on food stamps.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
CFI as a side gig rules.

I did it through a good chunk of college, and still do it when I’m not pushing buttons in a big plane.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Yeah, I've reduced the number of days per week I'm instructing to the point where it's my second job in terms of time as well as money, and I like it better this way.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Welp.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do you park your plane under a power line?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Or happen to have a magnet sitting on your glare shield?

Otherwise is that "999% of limit" referring to what you'll be charged to diagnose it? :ohdear:

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Unfortunately, your avionics were made by Herman Cain, so they too have died from the 'rona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

RS-485 out to the magnetometer. Probably just a janky connection/shorted shield.