Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I seent a meme that IW ignores Gaiden's story entirely, how true is that? Without going into specifics since I haven't played yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I seent a meme that IW ignores Gaiden's story entirely, how true is that? Without going into specifics since I haven't played yet

It doesn't like contradict it or whatever but nothing that happened really gets followed up on

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
I had too much of a good time to care about the story while playing but agreed with the above comments. Some great sub/side baddies though.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

It doesn't like contradict it or whatever but nothing that happened really gets followed up on

That's kind of a bummer since it felt like it was setting up for something big. Oh well they'll just have to make Gaiden 2 now

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lmao the loving electric eel escavator sidestory. Kasuga lives on a cartoon world.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I think it's more that Gaiden didn't really let that many plot threads hanging that weren't already wrapped up on LAD7 itself. It mostly only served to show what Kiryu had been up to from between 6 to 8. And I guess introduces Hanawa who just gets unceremoniously killed halfway through infinite wealth while we never got to find out whether he was one of the bad guys from 5 lol.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Lol I never actually went to the “cabaret” club in Hawaii. Don’t know what I expected but yeah, that makes sense.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Not huge spoilers but I'll tag them anyway, the thing that confused me about the Gaiden to IW lead-in is that at the end of Gaiden they make this huge deal about Kiryu taking a vacation to Hawaii, they talk about it before the final mission, afterwards you seem him packed, new passport with a new name, heading off to his Hawaiian vacation, then you see him on vacation leaving Yumi's ring at the Hawaiian church she wanted to go to. Then you meet him in Infinite Wealth and he's in Hawaii but on official Daidoji business and absolutely not on vacation lol. I'm still only in like chapter 5 or something so maybe they have a line later about how they called him while he was there for an urgent mission of something but it's kind of strange that he doesn't mention it at all at least in the first few chapters.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I think Gaiden was more to fill in the gap between 6 and 7 while letting Kiryu do sick spy poo poo than it was really setting up any arc for future games.

----------------

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i pulled the kiwami green and kiwami violet back to back in the japanese suji pull and it made the last discreet 4 boss a joke

the kiwami green has so much speed

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It's really weird how irrelevant Gaiden is to this game lol, it's the first time in the series where I've felt like the two close release games were made by totally different teams that apparently just never talk to each other.

Gaiden still does a great job filling the gaps between 6 and 7, and even improves on some narrative weak points in both games, but it's like they had no idea what 8 was even going to be about beyond the specific Hawaii setting. Like, it still makes no sense to me at all that Gaiden never mentions Kiryu's cancer and then it was just in all the trailers and previews for 8 anyway. Even dumb stuff like Hanawa telling Kasuga that he's unfit and doesn't fit, brother you had like seven health bars in Gaiden.

I know Gaiden was originally DLC but they could have addressed this with a few dialogue lines here and there and just don't, so it ends up extremely odd.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 24, 2024

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
*walks into tattoo parlor with $1 million in my pocket*

"you think you can scrounge up ten grand?"

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I mean more about the Daidoji stuff, is that just non existent?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I mean more about the Daidoji stuff, is that just non existent?

they exist still

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Nah they're a pretty constant undercurrent to the whole thing, especially when you get into Kiryu's side stuff.

Speaking of which, about the post credits scene... I get the reveal and how it's supposed to be a triumphant moment for him and the series, but isn't Date basically a dead man walking now because of it? If you do the last Life Link they make it pretty clear that they're done loving around and Date will be the first target if Kiryu ever resurfaces. I can't imagine them making any more Kiryu games after this but it really feels like that might be the kickoff for 9. Daidoji starts taking down people close to Kiryu as penalty and you gotta go and blow up the whole thing.

----------------

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

All of that said, Kiryu has apparently completely forgotten about Agent Style

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

All of that said, Kiryu has apparently completely forgotten about Agent Style

US customs took his spider gadget and exploding cigarettes

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Ah okay that's a relief then cos that cliffhanger seemed really interesting

Agent style is the most chaotic fun I've had in these games. Instantly flinging 12 guys around at the start of a fight, using Agent Heelies to blast thru the rest, do a 180 and fling them again

Man Gaiden owns so hard

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Ah okay that's a relief then cos that cliffhanger seemed really interesting

Agent style is the most chaotic fun I've had in these games. Instantly flinging 12 guys around at the start of a fight, using Agent Heelies to blast thru the rest, do a 180 and fling them again

Man Gaiden owns so hard

I grinded levels for the coliseum by doing the platinum weapon fight because you could throw the guys and do exactly this

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Eventually I am going to stop being sick or working myself to deatha nd advance beyond this chapter but it appears that it was not this weekend.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ill issue...

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lol at the point in the middle of sujimon where kasuga inevitably has to beat the two minions before challenging guy number three and he wearily says "same as it ever was."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

American McGay posted:

Nah they're a pretty constant undercurrent to the whole thing, especially when you get into Kiryu's side stuff.

Speaking of which, about the post credits scene... I get the reveal and how it's supposed to be a triumphant moment for him and the series, but isn't Date basically a dead man walking now because of it? If you do the last Life Link they make it pretty clear that they're done loving around and Date will be the first target if Kiryu ever resurfaces. I can't imagine them making any more Kiryu games after this but it really feels like that might be the kickoff for 9. Daidoji starts taking down people close to Kiryu as penalty and you gotta go and blow up the whole thing.

I'm assuming that Kiryu and co stopping Ebina and Bryce's scheme made the Daidoji relent and let him go I guess

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

yamai's theme ftw https://youtu.be/aktLRiWXfqg

----------------

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

This feels like very late in the game to give me a final party member and now I feel compelled to fill out his entire bingo board

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

This feels like very late in the game to give me a final party member and now I feel compelled to fill out his entire bingo board

Yeah bot sure why the gently caress they have Joongi join on the penultimate chapter

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

i think it's RGG trying to account for Joongi being busted as hell in Y7 and encourage you to use more of the new people with Ichiban

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Yeah bot sure why the gently caress they have Joongi join on the penultimate chapter

Apparently Zhao and him were added late in development because they're fan favourites, but that just raises the question of why Zhao gets introduced with a couple of full Kiryu chapters to go and Joongi... doesn't join at the equivalent time for Kasuga lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the bat that you get for finishing the sujimon league feels so overpowered that i just switched kasuga's job for awhile so it wouldn't feel like i was obliterating everything, lol.

just got to the point where nanba and adachi are back in last night but it still isn't daytime in hawaii so probably i'll just be pushing the main story and/or taxi-ing to some of their bond bingos for awhile. once a bunch of substories open up i'll be back to walking the mini-game loop.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

thinking about it during this one and a half hour teams meeting i'm in and i know the group splits up eventually. how does the bond stuff work? is it shared or does each leader have to do bonds separately?

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
Shared

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

awesome. thanks.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
im almost done with the basic yokohama dungeon.

i still feel like my homies in japan are way weaker than their hawaiian counterparts and i dont know what i can do to fix that.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Get Seonhee to whatever level it is where she learns the spider web attack.

----------------

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i still feel like my homies in japan are way weaker than their hawaiian counterparts and i dont know what i can do to fix that.

run it again

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
i pulled a shark fin and squid tentacles back to back fishing in yokohama and it's the most excited i've been all week lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I'm the opposite but maybe because for some reason I decided to train up this new dickhead instead of just using my main crew. My Japan crew were all level 50+ by the end of chapter 12