Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Good-Natured Filth posted:

There's a new person on our project team that doesn't know how to answer A/B questions. "Hey. Do you think we should do A or B?" "Yes." "Did you reply to the business with A or B?" "Yes."

It's happened several times over the past couple days, so I'm pretty sure it's not a fluke. I know "Yes" is technically a correct answer in those scenarios - they did in fact do A or B - but it's making me want to throw my computer.

kill this person

are you and the team at least like, correcting them each time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Roll some dice and go "you've chosen B then! Alright!"

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

SerthVarnee posted:

Roll some dice and go "you've chosen B then! Alright!"

Dare you enter my magical realm?

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Atopian posted:

Dare you enter my magical realm?

You could have two of the sides say "PIP" if you want things to be scary.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

SerthVarnee posted:

You could have two of the sides say "PIP" if you want things to be scary.

I would in fact put that person on a PIP if they don't stop

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

There's a new person on our project team that doesn't know how to answer A/B questions. "Hey. Do you think we should do A or B?" "Yes." "Did you reply to the business with A or B?" "Yes."

It's happened several times over the past couple days, so I'm pretty sure it's not a fluke. I know "Yes" is technically a correct answer in those scenarios - they did in fact do A or B - but it's making me want to throw my computer.

Drop a diss track on this jerk.
"Dear leader, I'm sorry this man is your report."

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

are you and the team at least like, correcting them each time?

Yes, follow up questions with "which one did you do?" Emphasizing that's the appropriate way to answer the question. I think the problem is that this is an offshore contractor the business could afford with their currently strapped budget (which means low-level and not a full grasp of English). If it continues much longer, we'll talk to the vendor and get them replaced.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
It sounds like they're saying yes to A if English isn't their primary language or something

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

This has been happening to me except it's my loving boss. :suicide:

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
If you’re dealing with offshore contractors that don’t have a very high level of English (or whatever is the company’s primary language) then you need someone on your team who is also fairly fluent in the Contractor’s language, otherwise it’s impossible to reconcile intent and text.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Instead of an A/B question, ask a Yes/No question using your preferred option.

Make them give you the answer you want.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

dpkg chopra posted:

If you’re dealing with offshore contractors that don’t have a very high level of English (or whatever is the company’s primary language) then you need someone on your team who is also fairly fluent in the Contractor’s language, otherwise it’s impossible to reconcile intent and text.

Oh man at one job we had a Portuguese vendor that my manager insisted had enough English proficiency that it wouldn't be a problem. Turns out, they had no English proficiency, and my manager was the only person who spoke Portuguese. I took great joy in making my boss do my job for me.

He didn't pick the vendor. It was just absolute dumb luck it worked out that way.

They eventually brought on a talented engineer who also spoke fairly good English which sucked all the fun out of it.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

This is like a " one will only ever tell the truth, the other one always lies, what question should you ask them?" Thing.

"You approach two reportees, both will only answer yes, what question should you ask to determine what status the project is in?"

*Thinks for a while*

"Am I hosed?"

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

I think we probably could change our wording to adjust to their lack of native language skills. "Given the following two options, respond with which one of the two you did: A; B".

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yeah the language barrier thing softens my stance on it for sure. ask better questions.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I think if you’re having to communicate with a contractor at such a basic level then that person is probably no longer useful to you and should be replaced ASAP or your workflow changed to incorporate a translator.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

dpkg chopra posted:

I think if you’re having to communicate with a contractor at such a basic level then that person is probably no longer useful to you and should be replaced ASAP or your workflow changed to incorporate a translator.

Yeah try explaining that to the C level that hired them.

They don't have the language comprehension skills for it either.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Renegret posted:

No way. Telnet home or else I'm calling infosec

My cloud storage is a public library computer I installed an open ftp server on.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

I think we probably could change our wording to adjust to their lack of native language skills. "Given the following two options, respond with which one of the two you did: A; B".

"Yes, it was done."

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Which one of the two you did: A; B

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Jenkl posted:

Which one of the two you did: A; B

yes

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Please revert when you have done the needful

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Me, with a fully complete and detailed project proposal, gets rejected.

Chad, with a blank form, gets approved.

gently caress if you're going to see me at the steering committee again.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Guy Axlerod posted:

here lies axelrod

he never steered

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Guy Axlerod posted:

The blank form was titled "GenAI Blockchain to Lower our Bottom Line".

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Did you make sure to say that all the derivatives of Number will go up and not just Number itself?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Yes, follow up questions with "which one did you do?" Emphasizing that's the appropriate way to answer the question. I think the problem is that this is an offshore contractor the business could afford with their currently strapped budget (which means low-level and not a full grasp of English). If it continues much longer, we'll talk to the vendor and get them replaced.

I was immediately thinking this, because it's exactly how my daughter answered things when she was three. :lol:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Renegret posted:

Yeah try explaining that to the C level that hired them.

They don't have the language comprehension skills for it either.

"I can get these same answers through AI"

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Guy Axlerod posted:

Little did you know Chad had an AI generate a proposal and answer questions on the fly during the presentation

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
My teammate is pretty sure they interviewed someone using this: https://github.com/leetcode-mafia/cheetah

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

how did they do?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Promotions took effect recently and the guy that was unofficially leading the day-to-day of the project I'm focused on is now officially a manager role with reports now. I don't report to him but he coordinates the project tasks between my team (analysis) and other teams (eg design and other analysis teams). He actually said that he wants everyone on this project to give him our phone numbers so he can "text us if we're late to meetings" and stuff.

Big loving no lmao.

12Apr1961
Dec 7, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Promotions took effect recently and the guy that was unofficially leading the day-to-day of the project I'm focused on is now officially a manager role with reports now. I don't report to him but he coordinates the project tasks between my team (analysis) and other teams (eg design and other analysis teams). He actually said that he wants everyone on this project to give him our phone numbers so he can "text us if we're late to meetings" and stuff.

Big loving no lmao.

"My work phone number is in the company directory." No work phone or landline only? Tough luck, newbie manager.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Boris Galerkin posted:

Big loving no lmao.

Didn't even try to couch it as anything other than harassing and micromanaging, amazing.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Every time I read this thread it makes me really happy that I don't have to deal with some of the really awful stupid poo poo that some of you have to put up with

The people I work with are generally fine if a little inexperienced and my manager is cool as gently caress. All my biggest problems come from upper management outside my organization and either fortunately or unfortunately I don't have access to talk to those people directly

I'm lucky to have a +2 and a +3 who actually give a poo poo about making things better and trying to influence the overall system for the better but everything in the corporate world moves like molasses and that's probably my overall biggest frustration

My heart genuinely goes out to all of you who have to deal with trash coworkers and managers

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I am happy for you and also knocking on wood, throwing salt over my shoulder, and whatever else tricks there are to counter the strong Tempting Fate energy in your post.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Democratic Pirate posted:

I am happy for you and also knocking on wood, throwing salt over my shoulder, and whatever else tricks there are to counter the strong Tempting Fate energy in your post.

* sound of window breaking *

Bah gawd, that's Re-Org's music!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Luckily my manager and my team are all pretty cool and chill. This newbie manager sucks though even when his role and responsibilities were unofficial. But I don't report to him so it's whatever.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Woof, my job just went to three days a week in office. Two days is already an absolutely reviled policy that is regularly undermined by most employees most days.

None of my team even live in the same region of the country as me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Anonymous Robot posted:

Woof, my job just went to three days a week in office. Two days is already an absolutely reviled policy that is regularly undermined by most employees most days.

None of my team even live in the same region of the country as me!

This happened to me, then a recruiter came to me with a 100% remote job at a 20% pay increase. It can happen to you too!