Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I don't know how to listen to rap yet. It seems to me that Drake's followup is really low-energy. Am I missing something?
You're not missing anything :) Drake's track Family Matters hit harder than The Heart Part 6, and even Family Matters sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

the best part is watching them get super into the beat and then just freezing when they hear one of the insane bars and gaping like a fish

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I don't know how to listen to rap yet. It seems to me that Drake's followup is really low-energy. Am I missing something?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

weekly font posted:

Drake: You used to call me on my self owns

hahaha holy poo poo

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You are missing detail and nuance and incredible self-owns, but you state the correct shape of Heart Part 6. Like... you got it, you are correct, that is the core problem. It only gets worse under deeper scrutiny at any literacy level.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Its a boring loving song!

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

No it sucks.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

KirbyKhan posted:

You are missing detail and nuance and incredible self-owns, but you state the correct shape of Heart Part 6. Like... you got it, you are correct, that is the core problem. It only gets worse under deeper scrutiny at any literacy level.

And then it ends with like 2 minutes of him not even bothering to rap, just sleepily rambling about how much he's not owned.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Sir Lemming posted:

And then it ends with like 2 minutes of him not even bothering to rap, just sleepily rambling about how much he's not owned.

Its the energy of joe rogan interviewing the loser of a ufc main event

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

wap wap wap wap wap

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

weekly font posted:

We just changed the thread title, come on.

Sir Lemming posted:

You can literally hear his body turning into a corncob if you have good headphones.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

i've been checked out of this scene since a while after drat. and was just listening to my playlist from back then the other day like "man this stuff is so good" and now we have this incredible feast.

Not Like Us is catchy af i keep listening to it. am just now listening to Heart Part 6 and oof it is so loving embarrassing.

just_a_person
Mar 13, 2019

i say swears online posted:

need someone new to rap itt to go back and listen to Kanye's first five albums

This is me the past 2 months. I never got into rap but decided to start with Kanye because I have watched Runaway and liked it and was blown away by how good his first 2 albums were. Still working through his other stuff but Jesus Walks was a banger. I'm so happy I will have 2 decades of backfill to work through, and Kendrick is definitely jumped the queue by a bit now cuz Not Like Us is amazing.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

weekly font posted:

lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

just_a_person posted:

This is me the past 2 months. I never got into rap but decided to start with Kanye because I have watched Runaway and liked it and was blown away by how good his first 2 albums were. Still working through his other stuff but Jesus Walks was a banger. I'm so happy I will have 2 decades of backfill to work through, and Kendrick is definitely jumped the queue by a bit now cuz Not Like Us is amazing.
I picked him up right before he went insane but you can clearly see his mental arc across his discography. I like graduation more than late registration but mbdtf is basically the greatest whole album of all time

selec
Sep 6, 2003

a little late on the clipse recommendations, I'm a loving nut for this mixtape. the one before this one is good, and then the remixtape they had based on the first one was also really good. this tape has the world's best version of Hate It Or Love It on it, a beat Game could never do justice to IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv0BjnWnwDs

reup gang is clipse and two dudes we never heard much from before then or after. never looked into how they hooked up with the brothers but they made some incredible mixtapes with them.

here's a couple of my favorite remixes off vol 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvjmD6u7S8c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YkPbCWAhuU

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

KirbyKhan posted:

my fav part is the b#, D-maj part he hosed up the entire thing
like he didn't even catch that when Kendrick is singing "a minor" he's actually trying to sing that chord, but a bit off tune, over the a-minor instrumental
drakes thing had individual notes playing with each chord name not chords, and they're not even the right root notes like he/prod completely didn't understand what he was trying to build on
also b# isn't a real pitch it's just C
and the relative minor of Cmaj is A-min, lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I like graduation more than late registration but mbdtf is basically the greatest whole album of all time

:hai:

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

weekly font posted:

Lol get out

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

KirbyKhan posted:

You are missing detail and nuance and incredible self-owns,

Oh, those I've been having explained on this thread. It's just that the song itself is so 'ludealicious.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The Met Gala is tonight. If he wanted to maximize embarrassment for Drake, he'd drop a track right before the red carpet stuff kicks off.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

I picked him up right before he went insane but you can clearly see his mental arc across his discography. I like graduation more than late registration but mbdtf is basically the greatest whole album of all time

tpab clears mbdtf

Tupac used on the final song >>>> chris rock skit

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

witH THE BEZEL?!?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

shoutout chris rock

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Truther Vandross posted:

The Met Gala is tonight. If he wanted to maximize embarrassment for Drake, he'd drop a track right before the red carpet stuff kicks off.
Is Drake going to the Met Gala? Seems like a public appearance that soon after Kendrick's onslaught of pedophile lines could only be a bad idea.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

The REAL Goobusters posted:

tpab clears mbdtf

Vince Staples bursting in with Sanyika Shakur sample

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

tpab clears mbdtf

who will survive in america

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

tpab clears mbdtf

🧢

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Rageaholic posted:

Is Drake going to the Met Gala? Seems like a public appearance that soon after Kendrick's onslaught of pedophile lines could only be a bad idea.

I doubt it but he's enough of an egotist that I wouldn't be surprised.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Apparently Drake never even been to the met gala and he was going off on Anna Wintour during his tour and the Her Loss album cycle or something

https://www.pinkvilla.com/entertain...a-mogul-1302628

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

FirstnameLastname posted:

like he didn't even catch that when Kendrick is singing "a minor" he's actually trying to sing that chord, but a bit off tune, over the a-minor instrumental
drakes thing had individual notes playing with each chord name not chords, and they're not even the right root notes like he/prod completely didn't understand what he was trying to build on

That is an amazing detail. Just lost on all fronts. Every molecular front.

just_a_person
Mar 13, 2019

Agreed (at least of the three albums I've heard so far). My biggest regret is not getting into hip-hop sooner so I could enjoy it with everyone when things dropped. Its what makes this beef so much fun.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

FirstnameLastname posted:

quote:

Why you had to stoop so low to discredit some decent people?
Guess integrity is lost when the metaphors doesn't reach you

Kendrick is him

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Someone went down the rabbit hole on all the CDAN references https://www.reddit.com/r/KendrickLamar/comments/1cl5uav/comment/l2s0buo/

e:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Mods. Mods! MODS!!!

https://twitter.com/ArtOfDialogue_/status/1787525976399741054?t=9a8UfF-O3jMG2bgdfAP6bg&s=19

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Lid posted:

Atrocity Exhibition by Danny Brown is one of the top five best hip hop albums of the 2010s. On a good day and I'm feeling weird I'll say it's the best.

Could not get into it. I like a lot of Danny’s work but it didn’t vibe. Same as Earl’s stuff since his first album.

I don’t like the beats. I like the words, but I don’t like the music.

I feel like I’m in the minority because I honestly don’t “get it”

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Truther Vandross posted:

If Drake goes to the Met Gala, he's gonna be surrounded by people whispering "they not like us" under their breath. He should be holing up in the Embassy for as long as he can't stand it.

Rageaholic posted:

OTOH, where else is he supposed to show out with whoever he's currently with? Junior prom isn't for another couple weeks.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 6, 2024

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

the bounty program expands

https://twitter.com/MetroBoomin/status/1787569371902357554

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Ak, is that you?