Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

jemand posted:

So many places want to have this, but seem to want to drive it by having lower level people just take massive risks with their careers rather than trying to actually make a safe environment.

I certainly have no evidence that it is safe to question certain people's ideas, and a great deal of evidence that it's actually terribly unsafe. Problem is, the person in thinking of is constantly switching ideas and randomly interacting with stuff the people on my team have been working on for months, deciding by whims their well thought out work is dumb and his sudden new notion needs to be the direction we should have been following from the start.

But he's the one the svp loves to chat with on the weekends, and having even slight pushback to him has damaged several other technical peoples jobs so far, some demoted, others left company, or just kinda targeted.

He's competent but not extraordinary in his technical capacity, but what's truly impressive about him is how any credit for successful work he's ever in the vicinity of accrues to him, while any blame of disasters or potential disasters only avoided by other people's heroic efforts slide away from him and stick somewhere else. No wonder the executives love him!!

I know this thread tends to towards cynical (and not wrongly) but in my experience people like this eventually tend to not last long in a specific role. They’re fundamentally bullshitters, and bullshit only works for so long. Which is not to say they’ll fail or spectacularly implode, they’ll just move on to something else, likely with more money and a higher title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Awkward Davies posted:

I know this thread tends to towards cynical (and not wrongly) but in my experience people like this eventually tend to not last long in a specific role. They’re fundamentally bullshitters, and bullshit only works for so long. Which is not to say they’ll fail or spectacularly implode, they’ll just move on to something else, likely with more money and a higher title.

Exactly this. The smarter ones jump from project to project to protect their own reputation/create plausible deniability and then jump off somewhere else when the walls eventually start closing in. Their most important skillset is bullshit/politics and they're exactly the ones you see failing up on a regular basis. My previous boss was exactly this and I predict is about to exit/be exited as the walls are closing in.

His previous employer demoted him/his title from a C role to a "Head of". That wasn't sufficient warning sign for us though. Everything else on his resume looks like failing upwards including this one if he just removes the C-level title from the last and only lists the title he had when exiting.

E: just checked linkedin and he lists the title in reverse order, insinuating he was promoted during his tenure lol. It's technically not lying.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 18, 2024

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Awkward Davies posted:

Thanks, it's good to be reminded of this truth. This is the guy that was pumping nfts three years ago and jumped hard on generative ai when chatgpt hit, so he's got a bit more bullshit runway to ride. Once that hype bubble starts to deflate I expect he'll be racing for the exit, leaving the rest of us to salvage the sensible implementations of the tech while dismantling the expensive bullshit.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

For my company, IT and other service-type groups are in 2 days a week but we got to choose what days. Follow the enabling of full badge tracking and warnings/firings for people not showing up, they've realized that won't work and have let people work remotely have completely hosed which days teams are in the office and made a mess of being able to be in the same days as similar / supported teams. So when it actually gets enacted first week of June everyone is going to be in a real pissed off mood.

Of course, we'll see if it gets started as planned because a good portion of the building is without windows right now after the Houston storm :getin:

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
My god damned idiot (leader) has the audacity to book a tuesday-after-long-weekend 9am meeting with me at 330pm Friday, and when I tell her I'll need to work over the weekend to be ready goes "oh are you sure? I'd really rather you didn't work overtime."

Then cancel the meeting, dipshit.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Awkward Davies posted:

Are we really sure though that we aren’t the schmucks, working hard (relatively) while BS artists rise up the ladder so fast? I’ve seen people rise up and maybe dip down after being found out a few times, but not fall hard and have trouble getting back at it, albeit in 1-3 yr stints.

The moral of the story is that hard work is dumb I guess???

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I 100% know I'm a sucker for caring about the customers and the company. I sleep at night because i do care about the people on my teams and do what I can to protect and promote them.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tnuctip posted:

Are we really sure though that we aren’t the schmucks, working hard (relatively) while BS artists rise up the ladder so fast? I’ve seen people rise up and maybe dip down after being found out a few times, but not fall hard and have trouble getting back at it, albeit in 1-3 yr stints.

The moral of the story is that hard work is dumb I guess???

You can go pretty far if you're willing to sell your soul for it.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Motronic posted:

I 100% know I'm a sucker for caring about the customers and the company. I sleep at night because i do care about the people on my teams and do what I can to protect and promote them.

I care about my coworkers to a degree and about my customers because in theory my negligence can literally kill them. I don't like the idea of spending a portion of my life wondering about whether I was responsible for *insert hypothetical product recall that killed people here*. Plus honestly, pure cynicism feels like a lovely way to spend 30+ years of your life. You don't have to chug the corporate Koolaid, but maybe a sip to avoid going literally insane wouldn't hurt. :v:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That sip was taken much earlier in my life/career. It has passed through my system entirely at this point.

Remember, you do things that can save people lives or improve the quality of them. I'm just passing phone calls and sms, mostly for companies that want time and attention from people who don't want to be contacted by them.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

When I started as a contractor it was almost creepy. Everyone was weirdly nice, like "is this a cult?" nice. After about six months I got used to it. I did tell anyone I met from HR or Recruiting that whatever they were doing to screen people for culture fit was working.

Some years later I converted from contractor to FTE and started getting the corporate indoctrination. It turns out there is some company kool-aid, but it's mostly focused around getting drugs to patients, so that's pretty okay.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I care neither for my customers or my coworkers. However, I am both a literal and figurative dog and am motivated by words of praise, as well as live in fear of a negative performance review.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm mostly just here for the ride at this point, I'm well past burnout after my more ambitious years (that got me nowhere but an anxiety disorder). I don't give a poo poo about the company, the client's *mission* I care about but not their individual members (I am in fedgov consulting), and my only objective for my reports and peers is making our day-to-day as trouble free as possible.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I’m already riven by imposter syndrome, I can’t imagine leaning into that and going full imposter, I think I’d fall apart.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's why the actual imposters are so terrible. The syndrome has taken over and is running the show.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

mllaneza posted:

When I started as a contractor it was almost creepy. Everyone was weirdly nice, like "is this a cult?" nice. After about six months I got used to it. I did tell anyone I met from HR or Recruiting that whatever they were doing to screen people for culture fit was working.

Some years later I converted from contractor to FTE and started getting the corporate indoctrination. It turns out there is some company kool-aid, but it's mostly focused around getting drugs to patients, so that's pretty okay.

It still blows my mind how completely different our experiences here are in some ways. I'm guessing it has a lot to do with so many people from my part of the organization being hire-ins from the northeast / other companies and not home-grown, or maybe the increased proximity to the mothership's influence? I spend more time in meetings / dealing with mandates from Switzerland than I spend dealing with ones from SSF. The SSF-specific people seem pretty cozy, but we've got some seriously vicious folks in positions of power over in my branch of development, at least.

(Yet somehow, this is still miles away the best place I've ever worked. :lol:)

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I basically work for Dunder mifflin, so I’m not super invested in the company, but I am invested is looking like I’ve drunk the kool aid because I know that is something my manager notices. So yeah, we’re not saving lives or anything but I will excitedly post a photo in teams when one of our fleet trucks drops supplies off at my house because that’s the poo poo that my boss loves to see.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Sundae posted:

maybe the increased proximity to the mothership's influence?

(Yet somehow, this is still miles away the best place I've ever worked. :lol:)

My org is run mostly out of Switzerland and Spain. I think your problem is mostly with the hire-ins with NE-ers a secondary factor. Your reporting chain goes through our head of research, and everyone else I know under her is pretty happy.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
At the place I'm working now it is by far the largest company I've worked for, and apart from the folks I joined with it has been interesting finding the other helpful, useful people in the org. There are a lot, but there also a lot of just utterly useless coasters who do the bare minimum and try to foist off any task on whatever easy target comes their way.

It's nice meeting the useful folks though and they are usually so relieved to meet other useful folks.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

priznat posted:

It's nice meeting the useful folks though and they are usually so relieved to meet other useful folks.

Finding the people who are actually helpful is about the most important skill you can have in a large corporation. How to create a GPO is something you can Google. Who will take you seriously when you say you need one is not.

Hell, I got my chance at this job by befriending my predecessor.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I've been on vacation for the past week and come back tomorrow. I just found out that my skip level boss, who isn't normally this way, scheduled a lunch with a vendor sales rep tomorrow that's going to be an hour drive away for me. Now I get to spend the morning trying to talk my boss into letting me miss it. His current offer is to pick me up and we drive together, which is Not Better.

I hate stuff like this. I have no purchasing authority, we're already using their product, so why do I want to meet this guy?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

you ate my cat posted:

I've been on vacation for the past week and come back tomorrow. I just found out that my skip level boss, who isn't normally this way, scheduled a lunch with a vendor sales rep tomorrow that's going to be an hour drive away for me. Now I get to spend the morning trying to talk my boss into letting me miss it. His current offer is to pick me up and we drive together, which is Not Better.

I hate stuff like this. I have no purchasing authority, we're already using their product, so why do I want to meet this guy?

It sounds like you haven't checked your emails because you're on vacation, and that you won't see the email until you get in at 9am tomorrow, by which time it'll be too late for you to go.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I started my career in medical devices and since then moved steadily towards more pointless jobs, so now I work for a place that would probably make everyone's life better by disappearing.

The fun part is that as my job becomes less important in the grand scheme of things, I am paid better, have better work life balance and have much saner bosses.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I purposefully chose a job and career that has no potential to kill, maim, or harm a human except so I do not give a gently caress and somebody saying "this is a real busy workload, you gotta work late to manage it all" falls on a fleshy spot where ears could be.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Xarn posted:

The fun part is that as my job becomes less important in the grand scheme of things, I am paid better, have better work life balance and have much saner bosses.

That's the thing that threw my idiot poor brain for a loop. I started off as a research analyst and had a ton of pressure on me for not a lot of money. Now I make extremely good money 10 years later as a "senior strategic advisor" and I have no accountability, no real obligations, and my overall workload is extremely light. The things I bitch about are stuff like "I have to put on serious pants and go into the office twice this week" or "I have to host a workshop for six hours remotely this week". When I was at the lower end of the totem pole it was "I have 60 hours of work and 40 hours to do it and if I don't figure this out people will be Mad."

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Barudak posted:

I purposefully chose a job and career that has no potential to kill, maim, or harm a human except so I do not give a gently caress and somebody saying "this is a real busy workload, you gotta work late to manage it all" falls on a fleshy spot where ears could be.

I suppose "menacing promises" don't kill, maim, or harm.

That's someone else's job.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Bullshit Jobs was largely correct.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Volmarias posted:

I suppose "menacing promises" don't kill, maim, or harm.

That's someone else's job.

Look if a product is delivered you pay for it. Thems the rules of business.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Especially if that product is a flight to Singapore

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
1) The year is 2024, why do people still not understand reply-all storms

2) Why does the "2021 Quarterly All Hands" distro still exist, and why is it available for general use?

3) Why is this going down at 11 PM ON A loving SUNDAY HOLY poo poo GO TO BED PEOPLE

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
So I'm guilty of the Sunday night thing because our VPN automatically shuts down after 24 hours and I'm so loving lazy that I get out of bed at 7:50am for my first meeting at 8 every day, and logging in takes a minute or so but if something goes wrong it takes longer because I have to keep retrying. I don't want to deal with that poo poo first thing on a Monday morning so I always log in Sunday night before bed and in order to confirm that I'm actually connected to the VPN I have to make sure I can open an email and read a Teams message. And I also check to see if there eany unexpected or important meetings I forgot about on Monday morning because I don't think about work over the weekend. But I don't actually respond to anything because lol

I can totally see how some people would do the same as me but get sucked into an email thread. And then there are the workaholics

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Sunday night "do I actually need to get up before lunch?" checks are totally cool and good, actually.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
I took a week off and have come back to doing my job and now covering a coworkers while they are on leave plus a bunch of other tasks that I have never done really setting me up for success here.

Clearly it was hubris to think I could take a week off

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Shrieking Muppet posted:

I took a week off and have come back to doing my job and now covering a coworkers while they are on leave plus a bunch of other tasks that I have never done really setting me up for success here.

Clearly it was hubris to think I could take a week off

Sure, you can take the week off! Just have that week's work done before you leave! :v: I really, really hate how places redefine "vacation" in a way to make it meaningless now.

At McNeil/J&J, whenever I tried to take vacation time, my manager would always ask me who was going to do my work while I was gone. It was either my responsibility to get someone to cover everything while I was out (wtf do your job manager) or to bring my laptop with me and work from vacation. Absolute bullshit, but while I knew it was bullshit, I didn't realize just how bad of bullshit it was until the mentality started affecting my health. (Plus it wasn't so different from the previous job in Indiana to make me realize that I'd had two terrible workplaces in a row.)

Even if I got someone to cover for me, it never mattered in the end because my boss always called me anyway, whether it was while I was on vacation, taking care of my wife post-surgery or at the hospital myself. In retrospect / 20-20 hindsight, perhaps her repeatedly calling me while I was in the ER should've been my first hint that no, that thing I thought was a heart attack was actually panic attacks. :v:

One of the best days of my career, in a way, was deleting their texts and voice mails when they started calling me with questions after I quit. A silent "gently caress you, figure out where I left those papers yourselves you shitbirds."

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

mllaneza posted:

Speaking of company Koolaid, I worked at a ~ 1000 person pharma company where all of the non-scientific staff seemed to worship the CEO like a cult. We got acquired and he was talking about streamlining operations so we do not have duplicate functions between the acquiring company and us, and they were all cheering like they won the lottery. We also had group new employee meetings with the CEO guided by the head of HR, and every question that was asked was some variation of "what makes you so awesome?". They sold at a lower price than expected based on market predictions, but a bunch of executives had bonuses added in from the acquiring company where they came out ahead. Also, while I am airing biotech specific grievances: how every company shuts down discussion with the phrases "shareholder value" or "doing what is best for patients", where the former is if something seems greedy or money/profit focused and the latter if it seems to be more about nickle and diming employees. Sure, you worked here for 10 years, but we took away coffee and didn't give a severance because we needed to do what is the best for the patients. How dare you complain about vacation days or pay, don't you care about helping people?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Pain of Mind posted:

Speaking of company Koolaid, I worked at a ~ 1000 person pharma company where all of the non-scientific staff seemed to worship the CEO like a cult. We got acquired and he was talking about streamlining operations so we do not have duplicate functions between the acquiring company and us, and they were all cheering like they won the lottery. We also had group new employee meetings with the CEO guided by the head of HR, and every question that was asked was some variation of "what makes you so awesome?". They sold at a lower price than expected based on market predictions, but a bunch of executives had bonuses added in from the acquiring company where they came out ahead. Also, while I am airing biotech specific grievances: how every company shuts down discussion with the phrases "shareholder value" or "doing what is best for patients", where the former is if something seems greedy or money/profit focused and the latter if it seems to be more about nickle and diming employees. Sure, you worked here for 10 years, but we took away coffee and didn't give a severance because we needed to do what is the best for the patients. How dare you complain about vacation days or pay, don't you care about helping people?
You worked for Medtronic, didn't; you?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I can only imagine how far up their own asses the fart sniffers up at corporate would be if we were making medicine lol

They still try, bless them, but at the end of the day we're selling liquor

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I thought you said you weren’t in medicine????

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

dpkg chopra posted:

I thought you said you weren’t in medicine????

Well, at least I scrolled down before I made the same joke...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

The most useful and honest job of any poster in this thread.