Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

quote:

More than an hour after the provincial party leaders debate at the Jamaican Canadian Centre Wednesday night, Premier Kathleen Wynne was still engaged in huddles around the room with Black voters, arguing the issues.

NDP Leader Andrea Horwath, who won the debate with strong, clear, well-prepared and targeted sound bites, had left by then. So had Green Party leader Mike Schreiner, a surprising sparring partner during the 90-minutes of political dodge and spin.

But the elephant in the room was who was missing from the debate — Doug Ford.

The Conservative leader skipped the debate, citing scheduling conflict as an excuse. As if that wasn’t damaging enough to the psyche of a marginalized community, Ford added insult to injury in explaining his absence.

I love Black people and they love me, he told reporters. Hmmmm, sounds like “Some of my best friends are . . .”

Channeling his late brother’s affinity with certain elements of the Black community and his facility with the street lingo, all that was left for him to say was: Y’know, I’m down with the bros. Smoke a little weed. Throw back some white rum and a Red Stripe. We good.

Except, Doug Ford said so much more, in words worthy of the mendacious Trump times that overwhelm us.

“There’s no other politician in this country, no other politician outside of Rob Ford, that has supported the Black community more than I have,” Ford told reporters.

The audacious, impertinent, shameless haughtiness of the claim. His next pronouncement is certain to be that he’s the best Conservative leader of all times in all the land.

Who says such things — even if he were responsible for ridding the landscape of anti-Black racism; or had discovered education reforms that doubled the graduation rates of Black boys; or installed employment equity tenets that slashed unemployment rates among Blacks.

Bear in mind that nobody had ever heard of Doug Ford before he showed up at Toronto city hall in 2010 to keep his little brother Rob Ford out of trouble. We know how that ended. Doug became enabler-in-chief and Rob flamed out.

Apart from bad-mouthing the need for libraries in his ward and voting to cut funds to social supports, and plotting to put Coney Island on the waterfront, Ford accomplished, well, near nothing.

We do recall a video of the Brothers Ford sprinkling dollar bills into the laps of housing-complex moms at Christmas, even as they opposed social supports needed to ease the burdens of the tenants.

And thanks for hosting Rexdale kids for a day up at your cottage, Doug, because, y’know, one day you’d need to cite them as evidence of your love for Black people — even as you prepare to cut money for social services and funnel the tax savings to fund the most invasive, controversial and hated policing initiative of our time. TAVIS.

You remember TAVIS — the Toronto Anti-Violence Intervention Strategy was abandoned last year following strident opposition from residents. Not to be deterred, Ford told a recent gathering of Somalians that he is 100 per cent in favour of resurrecting it.

Respectful to a fault, the audience groaned. But one brave soul couldn’t hold his tongue, stopping Ford cold.

“Actually, I disagree,” said Walied Khogali. “TAVIS has traumatized many community members. TAVIS is a racist police division. No way we should go back to it.”

When Ford stammered something about maybe changing the name, if the name is the problem, someone corrected him: “No, the approach.”

It was a glimpse into Ford’s mind. What else is he thinking. What does he think of Employment Equity or the Diversity Office the province has. Will he re-instate carding or simply allow its rebirth by killing the regulations installed by the Wynne government? Will he cut funding to the Black Youth Action Plan, now financing neighbourhood services and employment initiatives.

That’s just the beginning of the questions that bubbled in the hearts and minds of the hundreds at the debate. That’s why they booed Ford’s no-show.

Ahead of the official start of the campaign leading to the June 7 election, a large array of Black community groups — as diverse as it gets — had coalesced to stage a leaders’ debate. They were orderly, astute, intelligent, energetic, funny, engaged and delightful as they rattled through issues of housing, transit, jobs, education, health, legalization of marijuana, poverty, youth, privatization and policing.

I moderated the debate so I know the questions were focused through their eyes, using the racialized lens that define their lived experience in Ontario. They needed answers.

There is so much pain and deferred dreams and wasted promise there. There was so much for our politicians to learn. By being absent Doug Ford learned nothing. And that means the Black community is as endangered as before because the absent politician is poised to become the one with the most authority to affect their lives.

Such a lost opportunity. Doug Ford the smiling assassin, professing love and delivering fear and dread.

At least Mike Harris didn’t profess to like us.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/star-columnists/2018/04/13/doug-ford-professes-love-but-delivers-fear-and-dread-to-the-black-community.html

:omarcomin:

He should just go full Trump. It doesn't matter. He's getting elected with a majority and nothing is going to change that. Why even tip toe around this poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Chicken posted:

They want to beat Andrew Carnegie's high score. Do you have any idea how hard it is to become a $300 billionaire nowadays?

Rockerfeller was worth 1.5% of the USA's total economic output at the time of his death in 1937. ~$340-$360 billion today.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/pavo_burel/status/985310942756978688

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Why would we be jealous of assholes in Alberta? I live in Ontario, we're the self centered pricks of the country, not a bunch of rednecks driving overpriced pickups.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

oh my god I have loving had it with everyone in Alberta who doesn't understand how equalization payments work

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

raptors :canada:

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Aug 25, 2018

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
Considering annual population by province would change the hurr durr equalization payment graph even more

Best source I could find on my phone. Seems stats can archived data going back further.

Twitter hot take is still missing the point of equalization payments.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Edit: nvm I'm dumb

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Aug 25, 2018

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

James Baud posted:

Haha, oops.

Having zero as the baseline isn't divisive and fun enough. You need a column that's per capita difference from mean. Being as this calculation actually is ZERO SUM, we should structure it as positives and negatives.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Butcher posted:

Yeah but why, and I'd love SSB to chip in here.

You basically can have slaves and poo poo already under capitalism.

You can already amass more money than god, and use it to shift politics.

Why would anyone want to go back to blatant indentured servitude when they can keep their hands and conscience clean and just have unpaid interns or whatever the gently caress.

I don't really get the conspiracy endgame poo poo. The people running the show have already won. Any further deterioration of the social fabric would just inconvenience them.

The end goal is to maintain that power and make it harder for us to knock them off their position. See the patriot act or the permanant state of emergency in france. Some of these people think th chinese government is a paragon of virtue, others are aware taking things that far could lead to a revolution, others believe we could get there by incrementation. Terrorist attack and xenophobia makes the public much more receptive to tyrannical policies and laws. Why do you think the federal government is at war wiTh provincial sovereignty? Anything that centralizes power benifits the (no brakets) globalists (aka "capitalists" if you look at things from the mainstream dnd perspective)

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

CLAM DOWN posted:

oh my god I have loving had it with everyone in Alberta who doesn't understand how equalization payments work

Yeah this happened to me a couple of years ago and I had meltdown on facebook and vowed to never post about politics there again out of embarrassment.

Now just hearing the term on tv puts me in a thousand yard stare flashback

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Leofish posted:

Costa Rican ambassador to Manitoba, Brian Pallister, is suing the Winnipeg Free Press for reporting on the taxes he may owe for his enormous house.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/costa-rica-story-sparks-threat-of-lawsuit-479745023.html

New thread title?

This owns, I’m glad the Freep is calling Pallister out on his poo poo l. He has no basis for a lawsuit here.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Reince Penis posted:

Yeah this happened to me a couple of years ago and I had meltdown on facebook and vowed to never post about politics there again out of embarrassment.

Now just hearing the term on tv puts me in a thousand yard stare flashback

I did a few years ago when I was trying to explain to someone that a 10% increase in property value in a tax assessment doesn’t mean that their taxes is going up. They fully accepted my explanation of how property taxes work but then followed with “my gut is telling me otherwise though”

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

cougar cub posted:

Sounds like you prefer to pick which rights are recognized.
This is related to the Eagle Spirit Pipeline project: http://business.financialpost.com/c...-oil-tanker-ban

You wouldn't know it from the news or twitter, but it turns out FNs are diverse in their politics, needs, and priorities.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

just another posted:

You wouldn't know it from the news or twitter, but it turns out FNs are diverse in their politics, needs, and priorities.

It's also disappointing to see people on both sides using the First Nations who happen to agree with them as a prop, as a crutch for their argument, often misrepresenting their positions and desires in the process. And I'll admit I've done that on occasion, and it's something I need to do better with. Respecting First Nations' sovereignty and their voices is something that we need to do even -- in fact, especially -- when we disagree.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

The Federal government is giving money to Kinder Morgan to fund the pipeline.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-horgan-notley-ottawa-1.4620367

Guess this is how the Conservatives win next election

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

DariusLikewise posted:

The Federal government is giving money to Kinder Morgan to fund the pipeline.

i hope hes giving them all the sweet carbon tax money

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

:laffo: gently caress everyone who voted liberal

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

JawKnee posted:

:laffo: gently caress everyone who voted liberal

Maybe the NDP shouldn’t have been trying to go right of the loving Libs if they wanted to win an election

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

agreed

and perhaps everyone should have remembered that the liberals are liars and thieves

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Jagmeet still has no position on the pipeline or bombing Syria or anything

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I'm glad he's not running in my riding

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

JawKnee posted:

I'm glad he's not running in my riding

I learned a valuable lesson from the last election I voted in that even if you like a local candidate it really doesn’t matter if the leader is poo poo

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

what are you going to do about it?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I wonder how much it will cost the federal government to fund the pipeline compared to setting aside funds to pay for oil spill cleanup and relief efforts?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Aug 25, 2018

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I've found a solution i think will work for everybody.

We can dig a trench from the coast to Alberta and load the tankers right there.

That way if there's a spill it will be in Alberta's coastal waters.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
They still have to come out off our coast though. REJECTED.

Direct tunnel from the tar sands through the core to China... fine.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

DariusLikewise posted:

Well there's this

http://www.ndp.ca/news/jagemeet-singh-reacts-airstrikes-syria

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Powershift posted:

I've found a solution i think will work for everybody.

We can dig a trench from the coast to Alberta and load the tankers right there.

That way if there's a spill it will be in Alberta's coastal waters.

Haha they made that exact joke on Because News yesterday on CBC radio

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Butcher posted:

They still have to come out off our coast though. REJECTED.

Direct tunnel from the tar sands through the core to China... fine.

Then just shift the entrance over that little black line and it's off Alaska's coast, then any spills are their problem.

Squibbles posted:

Haha they made that exact joke on Because News yesterday on CBC radio
If multiple people come up with it, it's probably a sound solution.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

he's no name brand trudeau: bland, one-note exterior, works badly if at all, larger appeal to ethnic groups

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Powershift posted:

Then just shift the entrance over that little black line and it's off Alaska's coast, then any spills are their problem.

If multiple people come up with it, it's probably a sound solution.

True.

Do you think they should use a Lock system or just build a giant trench through the Rockies though. Both would probably have their own unique advantages.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Aug 25, 2018

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Squibbles posted:

True.

Do you think they should use a Lock system or just build a giant trench through the Rockies though. Both would probably have their own unique advantages.

Just build a giant Trench. Grande Prairie sucks so bad the water would be drawn up towards it's altitude.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Powershift posted:

Just build a giant Trench. Grande Prairie sucks so bad the water would be drawn up towards it's altitude.

That would solve our Site C problem too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Juste un trou d'eau.