Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tnuctip posted:

The most useful and honest job of any poster in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sundae posted:

Sure, you can take the week off! Just have that week's work done before you leave! :v: I really, really hate how places redefine "vacation" in a way to make it meaningless now.

At McNeil/J&J, whenever I tried to take vacation time, my manager would always ask me who was going to do my work while I was gone. It was either my responsibility to get someone to cover everything while I was out (wtf do your job manager) or to bring my laptop with me and work from vacation. Absolute bullshit, but while I knew it was bullshit, I didn't realize just how bad of bullshit it was until the mentality started affecting my health. (Plus it wasn't so different from the previous job in Indiana to make me realize that I'd had two terrible workplaces in a row.)

Even if I got someone to cover for me, it never mattered in the end because my boss always called me anyway, whether it was while I was on vacation, taking care of my wife post-surgery or at the hospital myself. In retrospect / 20-20 hindsight, perhaps her repeatedly calling me while I was in the ER should've been my first hint that no, that thing I thought was a heart attack was actually panic attacks. :v:

One of the best days of my career, in a way, was deleting their texts and voice mails when they started calling me with questions after I quit. A silent "gently caress you, figure out where I left those papers yourselves you shitbirds."

"Oh good, I've got another kidney stone, that means I don't have to go to work today and can just be at the hospital" was the thing I said to myself which forced me to reexamine my career with that employer

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Back in my law firm days I gathered a bunch of fellow associates and we went to investigate why we could hear music through the ceiling.

Turns out Diageo had moved in and every Thursday they turned their conference room into a bar with free booze. I scored us a standing invite.

It was good times for a while until apparently it got too rowdy and they shut it down.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Volmarias posted:

"Oh good, I've got another kidney stone, that means I don't have to go to work today and can just be at the hospital" was the thing I said to myself which forced me to reexamine my career with that employer

Serious OOF energy there, but I get it.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Sundae posted:

One of the best days of my career, in a way, was deleting their texts and voice mails when they started calling me with questions after I quit. A silent "gently caress you, figure out where I left those papers yourselves you shitbirds."

POV:

*An owl feeding chicks nesting on shreds of quality reports*

*A sealed bag floating in a water tank*

*A conference room ceiling covered with the pages of an audit procedure guide*

*A box covered with the dust of years, labeled "EMPLOYEE SUGGESTIONS"*

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Volmarias posted:

I remember the first time I caught the rona, and what with my crappy lungs going "well, if I die at least I don't have to go back to work".

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Atopian posted:

POV:

*An owl feeding chicks nesting on shreds of quality reports*

*A sealed bag floating in a water tank*

*A conference room ceiling covered with the pages of an audit procedure guide*

*A box covered with the dust of years, labeled "EMPLOYEE SUGGESTIONS"*

Corporate Megathread: *A box covered with the dust of years, labeled "EMPLOYEE SUGGESTIONS"*

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Jenkl posted:

Corporate Megathread: *A box covered with the dust of years, labeled "EMPLOYEE SUGGESTIONS"*

nothing beside remains

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Tnuctip posted:

Are we really sure though that we aren’t the schmucks, working hard (relatively) while BS artists rise up the ladder so fast? I’ve seen people rise up and maybe dip down after being found out a few times, but not fall hard and have trouble getting back at it, albeit in 1-3 yr stints.

The moral of the story is that hard work is dumb I guess???

This seems like a good opportunity to link The Gervais Principle. The author spends quite a bit of time entirely up his own rear end in a top hat, but it does describe some corporate dynamics creepily well, and the contrast between earnest shmucks and lazy, BS-spewing ladder-climbers is one of them.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Ironically Ricky got promoted to his level of incompetence, standup comedian

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Jenkl posted:

My god damned idiot (leader) has the audacity to book a tuesday-after-long-weekend 9am meeting with me at 330pm Friday, and when I tell her I'll need to work over the weekend to be ready goes "oh are you sure? I'd really rather you didn't work overtime."

Then cancel the meeting, dipshit.

She cancelled the meeting at 8am.

Deep breaths, Jenkl. Deep breaths

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Jenkl, I just want to say how much I love your av. Makes me chuckle every time I notice it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The new break room microwave doesn't have a +30 second button and, not gonna lie, I have no idea how to use it now.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Put it on popcorn mode until you smell burning.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Renegret posted:

The new break room microwave doesn't have a +30 second button and, not gonna lie, I have no idea how to use it now.

It could be worse, we have one that has a dial only that is super annoying because it does 5s for like 10 clicks then if you keep turning it goes to 30 seconds then like a minute per click so you overshoot then have to tick back 5s at a time.

It's also like 1500 watts so it burns the poo poo out of everything and you have to scale times to like 3/4 of what is listed and actively monitor it.

It also knocks out WiFi.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

in a well actually posted:

It also knocks out WiFi.

this is a pro, imo

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
An old old company of mine had one of those old microwaves. 20' away on the door to the kitchen area was a big sign warning people with pacemakers to stay far away

And I absolutely believed it

It needed 2k watts because the lack of shielding meant everyone near it was getting a not insignificant percentage of that too.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

The Fool posted:

this is a pro, imo

The conference room next door to the break room was unusable from 11:30-1:30 every day unless you had Ethernet.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

You just keep stacking up w's

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

in a well actually posted:

It also knocks out WiFi.

lmao

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

raminasi posted:

This seems like a good opportunity to link The Gervais Principle. The author spends quite a bit of time entirely up his own rear end in a top hat, but it does describe some corporate dynamics creepily well, and the contrast between earnest shmucks and lazy, BS-spewing ladder-climbers is one of them.

i feel like this is a really meandering and roundabout way to work in a ton of The Office analysis in to something that is quite simple and transparently obvious to anyone who has been in a corporate setting for more than ten seconds and it always gets linked like its some Incredible Wisdom

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i feel like this is a really meandering and roundabout way to work in a ton of The Office analysis in to something that is quite simple and transparently obvious to anyone who has been in a corporate setting for more than ten seconds and it always gets linked like its some Incredible Wisdom

Maybe I was just dumber than the average bear--maybe I still am!--but reading The Gervais Principle was a moment-of-enlightenment experience for me personally. It made a lot of stuff I aaaalmost but not quite understood click soundly into place.

I also mostly enjoyed Rao's meandering philosophical digressions even though he is definitely a long way up his own rear end and even though usually I can't stand that poo poo. Just something about that particular group of essays worked for me I guess. I tried reading some of his other stuff and didn't get far.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
It's worth linking because it just puts into words something we've all internalized. And personally I'm not very good at putting my thoughts into words.

or having worthwhile thoughts.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

edit: there are too many fuckin words though dude needs nine editors

to be fair i hated The Office and thought it was stupid so anyone trying to use it as some kind of Sagacious Media is going to lose me instantly

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah I don't really enjoy cringe comedy, for me The Office is like 20% brilliance and 80% a waste of time.

Selfquoting to elaborate:

Eric the Mauve posted:

Maybe I was just dumber than the average bear--maybe I still am!--but reading The Gervais Principle was a moment-of-enlightenment experience for me personally. It made a lot of stuff I aaaalmost but not quite understood click soundly into place.

Stuff like:

Why the kind of people most middle managers are get promoted to be middle managers even though they're so bad at managing
Why there are so many lifelong middle managers who don't move up as they age
Why there is just so goddamn much bureaucratic bullshit at any mature company
Why C-suite executives are so invariably the kind of Machiavellian people they are
Why I personally have almost always failed to fit into human social groups (because I am not quite a Sociopath, but close enough to it to understand how Sociopaths' minds work, and can't take the mutual-delusion theater of most social groups seriously)
Etc.

I hasten to add that The Gervais Principle doesn't contain a single really original thought that I can recall. It just ties together a bunch of the thoughts and observations of other smart people. Does a good job of it though, IMO.

e: the concept of the Hanlon Dodge might not be original to Rao per se, but the has distilled and explained it better than anyone else. That may be the most significant thing TGP accomplished.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 21, 2024

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I've been wondering this for a while but why do some people, when going on vacation, say they're "out of pocket"?

Is Out of Office or On PTO not accurate? IME out of pocket means like the money you have to pay for medical coverage yourself or something like that

Where did this weird phrase come from?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Its not that uncommon, it has a couple meanings but it also means "I'm not available", usually I'd read that to mean "Even if you want to get a hold of me you can't"

https://www.dictionary.com/e/slang/out-of-pocket/

quote:

Out of pocket can also mean unavailable or unreachable. For example, a person who is on vacation from work and isn’t answering any calls or emails would be out of pocket to their coworkers. This usage of out of pocket is more common among older generations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I always assumed it was because US holiday laws are poo poo and you can find places only willing to let you take unpaid leave, specifically because any time someone from the USA has tried to recruit me they talk about "paid vacation", which implies that "unpaid vacation" must also exist.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Tnuctip posted:

The most useful and honest job of any poster in this thread.

That means a lot to me, coming from you two. Thank you.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I always kind of interpreted it, in professional services, that you were on your own dime and covering your costs out of pocket rather than billing to the client. I still think it’s weird and there’s a 99% chance I made that up in my mind.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I think the unavailable meaning of "out of pocket" is from pool. You arent in the pocket, you're running around willy nilly. Maybe even off the table, on the floor.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Baddog posted:

I think the unavailable meaning of "out of pocket" is from pool. You arent in the pocket, you're running around willy nilly. Maybe even off the table, on the floor.

I prefer this

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Huh, that's interesting. I never took it as OOO and also unreachable but that's good to know

And yeah in a Boomer context that makes a lot more sense

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I always thought of it as "I'm working from out of my pocket" which for white men is where their phone usually lives

Which means to me that the person isn't available for anything more than quick messages.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I use the phrase out of pocket a lot when referring to people being completely unavailable but I'm also former military and work in the MIC so we're weird about that.

"Jim is out today"
"out? like out of pocket out?"
"Nah we can still text him"

"I'm going to be out of pocket this Friday to next Wednesday. Don't bother me"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Out of pocket seems to have become the phrase du jour of the last few months, I've seen people use it to mean something/someone is bad or unavailable and up until now I'd only ever seen it used to mean "I have lost money on this endeavour".

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I'm glad we double clicked on this out of pocket situation.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Motronic posted:

I'm glad we double clicked on this out of pocket situation.

Wait what?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vasudus posted:

I use the phrase out of pocket a lot when referring to people being completely unavailable but I'm also former military and work in the MIC so we're weird about that.

"Jim is out today"
"out? like out of pocket out?"
"Nah we can still text him"

"I'm going to be out of pocket this Friday to next Wednesday. Don't bother me"

This aligns with my take, I hear it used by paramilitary fetishists almost exclusively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Thanks for your note. I am on a family beach trip until 5/31 and am unable to respond as my swimsuit does not have pockets for my phone. Please reach out to Chester for urgent issues.