Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I'm not a big gears fan but I think the reload is pretty nifty.

Battlefront had it, in a proper fps, and while BF had issues I like the tactical reloads there.

Adds some surprise and a chance to not be caught reloading for so long if you react in time. Seems good to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ETPC posted:

instead of reloading maybe it could be something else. i just like the feel of the tactical reload

IDK, reloads seem perfect. Its a time where otherwise your options are "wait" and "hide behind cover for a minute"

Having something extra to add some action to reloads is good?

Obviously it doesn't belong in doom or UT where you never reload. But if you do...

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ETPC posted:

you aren't wrong

also the tactical reload is one of the most satisfying mechanics in a shooter since the rocket jump

It really is, turns an unsatisfying bit of downtime into a wee bit of extra gameplay.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Gears of War 1 was one of the worst shooters I played, too. Clunky, boring use of cover, bad AI, bad weapon variety, repetitive enemies, uninteresting set pieces, with almost zero setting variety.

It happens that I'm playing Gears 5 right now (gamepass), and hey, while I still don't really like the core aspect of the game (cover based shooter, 2 weapons, health regen), at least it improved in most other areas.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I wasn't a fan of the gears reload, particularly because they just artificially made the reload time longer to tack on a qte mechanic, instead of giving you a short reload in the first place

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

site posted:

I wasn't a fan of the gears reload, particularly because they just artificially made the reload time longer to tack on a qte mechanic, instead of giving you a short reload in the first place

You spend a LOT of time behind knee-high cover in these games waiting for your moment, so there needs to be something else going on.

Gears in general is still by far the best cover shooter ever made.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:actually: I'm pretty sure it's Second Sight

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Sodomy Hussein posted:

You spend a LOT of time behind knee-high cover in these games waiting for your moment, so there needs to be something else going on.

From what little I've played of Gears 5, what gives me the greatest amount of success is to not just sit behind one piece of cover and actively try to flank/get close and start Gnashering idiots. Either that, or get good with the Longshot. Or explode everything.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hwurmp posted:

:actually: I'm pretty sure it's Second Sight

That's a funny way of saying Winback.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Sodomy Hussein posted:

This basically it. And it's why I don't like it: it's arbitrary busywork they introduced as a patch because their core formula was so bland.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I just wanna put this out there but the enemies in Ion Fury are dog poo poo stupid. They literally just stand there until you are right in front of them. They barely even wander around, and the whole game may as well be filled with those cardboard shooting practice targets from that one level.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
doom modders, when making a dehacked patch is there any particular doom version i need listed to have compatibility with both udoom and doom 2

i tried googling it but it just comes up with people asking about patches theyre making, but ive seen them with version = 19, and 21 and have no idea what the differences are

site fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 9, 2019

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

site posted:

doom modders, when making a dehacked patch is there any particular doom version i need listed to have maximum compat with stuff

i tried googling it but it just comes up with people asking about patches theyre making, but ive seen them with version = 19, 20, and 21 and have no idea what the differences are

put in 666 just to cover them all I'm sure that's what Carmack would have done

I'm not a modder

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Time Crisis. :colbert:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Kanos posted:

Time Crisis. :colbert:

:hmmyes:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

site posted:

doom modders, when making a dehacked patch is there any particular doom version i need listed to have compatibility with both udoom and doom 2

i tried googling it but it just comes up with people asking about patches theyre making, but ive seen them with version = 19, and 21 and have no idea what the differences are
21 is for Ultimate Doom v1.9 (yes this poo poo can get confusing). It should be (by which I mean it is) perfectly fine to use with Doom II however since v1.9 has all the text strings and internal gubbins that makes Doom II tick anyway.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

site posted:

Can you try omitting the field of 'version' entirely?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

Can you try omitting the field of 'version' entirely?

Wouldn't change anything as far as Doom cares. IIRC that's just there for DeHackEd/WhackEd to know what it's dealing with.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

21 is for Ultimate Doom v1.9 (yes this poo poo can get confusing). It should be (by which I mean it is) perfectly fine to use with Doom II however since v1.9 has all the text strings and internal gubbins that makes Doom II tick anyway.

Okay cool thanks!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The best use of tactical reload was Eltnum's bullet gauge in Under Night.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

site posted:

The versions should be set to 21 for most purposes. The only place it occasionally causes a problem is older releases of the DOS DEHACKED, which will refuse to accept it as a valid patch on certain versions of the executable.

On modern source ports including those like Chocolate Doom, the version labeling gets ignored.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
gears 3 is one of the best shooters ever made

the gnasher shotgun should be discussed in the same way the shotgun from fear should be discussed

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zly3Gw9h_u4

Although now I just wanna see this but with Duke's voice for Roddy Piper

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Best reload gimmick was in the Call of Juarez games where in some of them, you could reload single-shot weapons like revolvers and repeaters faster by mashing the reload button.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Plan Z posted:

Best reload gimmick was in the Call of Juarez games where in some of them, you could reload single-shot weapons like revolvers and repeaters faster by mashing the reload button.

Im going to disagree and say any mashing mechanic is a bad mechanic. That especially includes pistols that fire as fast as you click

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

ETPC posted:

gears 3 is one of the best shooters ever made

the gnasher shotgun should be discussed in the same way the shotgun from fear should be discussed

I can’t remember a drat thing about any Gears post 2, and I liked 2 less than 1. What’s good about 3?

e: also put me down with the active reload likers. It’s not the greatest mechanic of all time or anything but it does what it says, makes reloading more active. The animation sells it well, it’s satisfying to do right, frustrating to mess up, and not mandatory.

skasion fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 10, 2019

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Duke Nukem 3D: War of Attrition 2.0 was released three years ago and I missed it somehow. :psyduck:

Fired it up this evening and the main changes seem to be (since the last version I played, 1.6, so some of these may be other 1.x changes): Duke himself now levels up and points earned that way can be spent on character upgrades; a few new monsters; and a whole shitload of new levels. Oh, and you now get to pick a secondary weapon to start with so you aren't completely screwed when it loads a random map that wasn't expecting you to pistol-start -- most of them do but there's a few that are part of longer map sequences.

I had also forgotten how absurdly lethal everything is, I rolled AGC One first, got stuck and couldn't figure out how to open the grating, burned a skip to get to Train In Veins and died and died and died and died and died and finally called it a night.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
gears 3 is pretty much the platonic ideal of the AAA linear shooter and is exceptionally well paced, incredibly varied and has some genuinely awe-inspiring moments even almost a decade later and it's also just a ton of #content with the shitload of modes and mutators and maps and bots and horde mode and god its just so good

though it also gave birth to buying jpegs for your guns in the AAA space

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

ToxicFrog posted:

Duke Nukem 3D: War of Attrition 2.0 was released three years ago and I missed it somehow. :psyduck:

Fired it up this evening and the main changes seem to be (since the last version I played, 1.6, so some of these may be other 1.x changes): Duke himself now levels up and points earned that way can be spent on character upgrades; a few new monsters; and a whole shitload of new levels. Oh, and you now get to pick a secondary weapon to start with so you aren't completely screwed when it loads a random map that wasn't expecting you to pistol-start -- most of them do but there's a few that are part of longer map sequences.

I had also forgotten how absurdly lethal everything is, I rolled AGC One first, got stuck and couldn't figure out how to open the grating, burned a skip to get to Train In Veins and died and died and died and died and died and finally called it a night.

I don't remember the last version I played but whenever the Duke clone showed up, you were in for a bad time :suicide:

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
also gears 3 has ice-t playing Space Ice-T and it whips sack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v94GuyrL5aw

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Wamdoodle posted:

I don't remember the last version I played but whenever the Duke clone showed up, you were in for a bad time :suicide:

In 1.6, usually by the time the EvilDukes started showing up I had a heavily upgraded HoloDuke and the ability to create nuclear explosions with my mind, so it was less "a bad time" and more "an incomprehensible atomic clusterfuck", which is exactly what I play WoA for. :v:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I've played Gears 1/2/3 and I enjoyed them. I don't mind cover shooters as long as they can do something interesting with it, and not just have it be "wait for guy to stop shooting. Now I come out of cover and wait for him to pop up..." Gears always tried to throw in interesting stuff like enemies that could force you to move, or little set-piece moments like the rockworm or the lever-activated walls in the Grub city. I missed out on that one spin-off as well as Gears 4 (because fuuuck the Microsoft store). I also really want to play some horde mode like you wouldn't believe.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

ETPC posted:

also gears 3 has ice-t playing Space Ice-T and it whips sack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v94GuyrL5aw

tbh that video reminded me of one thing I really didn't like about Gears, mandatory exposition walking sections.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Best reload mechanic? LucasArts' Outlaws. Simply hold down the reload button with a catch - you have control over how many bullets (and the time it takes) for each reload. So if you're under fire, do you retreat and take the time to fully reload your six shooter? Or do you gamble and tap the reload key, knowing full well that your one bullet needs to land?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Plan Z posted:

I've played Gears 1/2/3 and I enjoyed them. I don't mind cover shooters as long as they can do something interesting with it, and not just have it be "wait for guy to stop shooting. Now I come out of cover and wait for him to pop up..." Gears always tried to throw in interesting stuff like enemies that could force you to move, or little set-piece moments like the rockworm or the lever-activated walls in the Grub city. I missed out on that one spin-off as well as Gears 4 (because fuuuck the Microsoft store). I also really want to play some horde mode like you wouldn't believe.

For only 5 bucks a month (might be 10 now, not sure) you can play all the gears games including Gears 5 on PC right now.

You also get a nonworking on most peoples computer copy of Metro Exodus

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
The best reload mechanic is Receiver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCThInmzjXw&t=23s

e; less annoying video

treat fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 10, 2019

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

treat posted:

The best reload mechanic is Receiver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCThInmzjXw&t=23s

e; less annoying video
Oh right, Receiver was a pre-order incentive for Overgrowth, haha. Pretty sure it's generally better regarded too.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Barudak posted:

That especially includes pistols that fire as fast as you click

Heck no. This just means binding fire to mousewheel down.

Or using a mouse with a turbo button :blastu:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shoehead posted:

Heck no. This just means binding fire to mousewheel down.

Or using a mouse with a turbo button :blastu:

Someone mentioned before its an accessibility issue, which does seem like it should be avoided when possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mordja posted:

Oh right, Receiver was a pre-order incentive for Overgrowth, haha. Pretty sure it's generally better regarded too.

overgrowth is a really fun game nowadays, but receiver was definitely a fun game first