Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Doing 9 Sternguard and a Lieutenant might be a decent way to go if you need a cheap HQ for Battalion CP bonuses. Deploy them slightly more forward, flame everything with 54+d6 hits rerolling 1s to wound, and then when it comes time for reprisal you can pop the strat to force them to shoot the Lt. in the face. Shame they can't take a stormshield, but they knew what they were getting into when they stepped into the drop pod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

nite_moogle posted:

Max hits on a unit of six aggressors with +1 to wound probably kills just about anything. Shame it's almost impossible to get them in position to do it. hopefully we'll get a zone mortalis supplement at some point and these guys can rule the world.

That leaked salamander stratagem might be the missing piece. I wonder what the biggest unit a standing still unit of 6 flame aggressors with catechism of fire in tactical doctrine can kill.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
blegh

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

SpaceViking posted:

That leaked salamander stratagem might be the missing piece. I wonder what the biggest unit a standing still unit of 6 flame aggressors with catechism of fire in tactical doctrine can kill.

6 flamer Aggressors existing unmoved on a table is the ultimate theoretical and will never happen, especially considering the distance they have to cover and how damaging they could be.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

PierreTheMime posted:

6 flamer Aggressors existing unmoved on a table is the ultimate theoretical and will never happen, especially considering the distance they have to cover and how damaging they could be.

One of the leaked stratagems is to count a unit as standing still, which might help.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

PierreTheMime posted:

I don't think I've ever seen flamer aggressors double tap during their own shooting phase.

which, mind, is when you can use that stratagem. No using this on overwatch.

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008
Napkin math while I'm sitting in a waiting room suggests in Tactical doctrine, 3 flamer Aggressors firing twice with max hits backed up by a chaplain with +1 to wound and lieutenant (which you can cram in a Repulsor) will kill a Castellan without breaking a sweat.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

nite_moogle posted:

Napkin math while I'm sitting in a waiting room suggests in Tactical doctrine, 3 flamer Aggressors firing twice with max hits backed up by a chaplain with +1 to wound and lieutenant (which you can cram in a Repulsor) will kill a Castellan without breaking a sweat.

S4 versus T8 is 6+ to wound normally, making +2 to wound a 4+. Assuming a 3+ save you'd do 21 wounds from the flamers including the reroll on 1s. I mean you've got a ton of other guns and such as well, but at that point you're throwing 537pts minimum at it and a third of the time you'll do 14 wounds instead because the Chaplain will falter in his faith (:commissar:).

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 17, 2019

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
1/9 of the time, that's what CP are for. :v:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

e: Oh, never mind, they DID pre-emptively nerf the Iron Hands. Good thing I hadn't gotten around to buying an Iron Father yet.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 17, 2019

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

jng2058 posted:

...it would probably be a 4+ save, since you get the -1 AP on the flamers in Tactical. You can't go past 4++ with Rotate Ion Shields anymore, and I've never seen anyone take the 2+ armor Relic for Knights, since you're usually facing anti-tank weapons and needing the 4++ to have any save at all.

Yep, that was factored in.

As a people have pointed out to me in the past, the 2+Sv relic is solid against anything that’s less than AP-3, which is a lot outside of melee. It’s not a must, but it’s a solid choice.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Iron Hands FAQ updated and, uh, this time there are some changes, whew

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
They must have read the goonhammer article.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

PierreTheMime posted:

S4 versus T8 is 6+ to wound normally, making +2 to wound a 4+. Assuming a 3+ save you'd do 21 wounds from the flamers including the reroll on 1s. I mean you've got a ton of other guns and such as well, but at that point you're throwing 537pts minimum at it and a third of the time you'll do 14 wounds instead because the Chaplain will falter in his faith (:commissar:).

Supposedly one of the stratagems is VotLW.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Not being able to double repair using psychic powers means you're not completely doomed if you low roll vs their vehicles. It's a decent FAQ imo.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

Not being able to double repair using psychic powers means you're not completely doomed if you low roll vs their vehicles. It's a decent FAQ imo.

I like it a lot.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

jng2058 posted:

I dunno, I think we need to dial back the Iron Hands hate until they prove they can really bend the meta the way the old Castellan/Smash Captains lists did.
Especially since all the rumors from the playtests say that Imperial Fists were the army to really be scared of
tldr: Let's give it a few months before we decide that any of these books need a nerf. :colbert:

It'll be funny if Tyranids get a bunch of points reductions in CA19 and end up being the hard counter as they lack Vehicle / Building keywords.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

masam posted:

Okay one thats wicked sick. Two do you do requests? Three, if two is no, (totes willing to pay you for the time and assembly if that changes your answer) could you show off some more of your kickin rad conversions so we might have a chance to learn by seeing what others are capable of? Cause drat is that pretty

Thank you for your kind words.

I don't do requests at this time; I've got a backlog of stuff I've promised various friends I'd do that I've decided to work through to get them off my mind, which is why I'm doing this now.

Other stuff:

Raven Guard Primaris Chaplain. Skull is clipped off a hanging chain from the chaos vehicle sprue and then anointed with plasticard, green stuff, Tichy Train Group model train rivets, and a cut-off Intercessor helmet neck; body is a mashup of the Aggressor Sergeant and bits cut off from the Primaris Chaplain with more rivets applied to left greave; left shoulder is a ForgeWorld Raven Guard shoulder; scope on pistol is from an Easy to Built Intercessor I cut up for other purposes; bird skulls on right shoulder and left butt cheek are from Citadel Skulls.

(Female) Raven Guard Intercessor Sergeant with lightning claw (counts as power sword, I guess?). Claw is from the ForgeWorld MkIII Power Weapons set; body is an Easy to Build Intercessor Sergeant; arms are spare Intercessor arms; head is a Stormcast Sequitor head from the same kit I used for Dante's body. I honestly would have preferred to use a helmeted head for her, because I think the Stormcast heads look slightly too small, but it is such a pain in the rear end to take that helmet off that Easy to Build Intercessor Sergeant's belt.

Another Intercessor Sergeant with lightning claw and just pistol this time, using the other lightning claw from the FW MkIII power weapons set. That's a Hellblaster body, because I wanted to put studs on the armored hip skirt and only the Hellblasters have armored hip skirts in the multipart kits. (Intercessors have them in Dark Imperium, the Easy to Built kits, and the action figure, though!) I think the pistol is also from the MkIII power weapons set.

Dark Imperium Hellblasters with rivets and some Tactical heads, plus a Deathwatch spotter on one of the backpacks.

Superior Stalker Bolt Rifle using component from the Scouts with Sniper Rifles. If I did this conversion again I'd probably use the barrel shrouds from the Eliminators, since a set of Eliminator sprues gets you six bolt sniper rifles only three bodies. Or maybe I'd use easy to build Reivers to make extra Eliminators instead. I... should probably pick up a package of Easy-to-Build Reivers and do that, practice my Green Stuff capes. Never done a Green Stuff cape before.

And speaking of snipers, Stalker Intercessors using the above Stalker Bolt Rifle conversion.

Auto Intercessor wearing a Devastator Sergeant backpack and with a ForgeWorld chain bayonette affixed to his auto bolt rifle, flanked by squadmates with MkIII backpacks. The guy on the left has a knife mounted upside-down on his right pauldron, but you can't really see it from this angle; the guy on the right has a veteran shoulder pad. I decided I wanted greater visual disparity between the auto bolt rifles and the stalker bolt rifles, and liked the image of chain bayonettes on the autorifles; I figure if they've got shorter ranges it means their wielders are more likely to get up close, right? But then I also figured that if these guys get stuck-in more often their armor is probably in worse shape so it ought to have more repairs and old power packs and mismatching shoulder pads, and also, initially, I didn't mount the chain bayonette on the one with the knife, and I didn't mount one on the guy with the grenade launcher because you can't, and as you'll see with the next photo I didn't mount one on the sergeant because he has a power sword, and they ended up all being visually incoherent. Later on I went back and stuck a bayonette on knife guy, and it helps a bit, but this is the set of kitbashes I'm least happy with.

Sergeant for that group, using head and power sword from the Dark Angels Primaris Upgrades. I later glued one of the chain bayonettes to his rifle as well. Converting for one-handed bolt rifle use is a complicated process, and typically involves a pistol arm cut off at the wrist to affix bolt rifle hand, and then I have to cut the bolt rifle off at the place where you swap out the different bolt rifle type bits and glue on one of the easy-to-build bolt rifle fronts so that it doesn't have a hand molded holding its case.

Another one of those, painted and more interestingly posed. This is the only one of these I'm really happy with and the only one I've painted (still haven't based him!); the arm drawing a knife is from the Space Wolves upgrades.

Dark Imperium Intercessors. The only conversion here is the beaky helmets, backpack spotters, and the addition of grenade launchers to one guy in each squad; in the first pic you can see that on the far right guy and in the second pic it's sort of invisible but it's the exact same conversion so w/e. (It's the round barrel bit from the auto bolt rifle ammo drum, plus a bit of plasticard pipe with a hole drilled in it.)

Shrike with magnetized head and backpack and custom base. Second backpack is from the ForgeWorld Shadow Captain Korvydae. Base is plasticard, more rivets, a spike from the chaos vehicle dozer blade, and some old chaos marine bits, including a ForgeWorld Night Lord head at the back. For lore purposes, whenever I get around to painting this one (three or four years from now at this rate) the fallen chaos marine will be done up as a Word Bearer, the lone pauldron will be done as Alpha Legion, the Night Lord helmet will be done as a Night Lord, and the hose (a round twist-tie) will be covered in spiraling yellow and black hazard stripes. Because Istvaan V. I felt... probably inordinately clever and pleased with myself when I realized I could get bits symbolizing all four Drop Site Massacre betrayer Legions on such a small base without it looking cluttered, although my initial plans to have an Iron Warriors bolter, instead, fell through because no matter how I arranged the components that did feel cluttered.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 17, 2019

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Also doesn't the Eratta say : that vehicles no longer have the invul and only 1 can have the -1 damage. Just not in red

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Strobe posted:

Iron Hands FAQ updated and, uh, this time there are some changes, whew

Is there some sort of CDN issue? All I see is the v1.0 update PDF with 1 errata and 3 FAQ questions.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Contingency posted:

Is there some sort of CDN issue? All I see is the v1.0 update PDF with 1 errata and 3 FAQ questions.

I, too, would appreciate direct links to the new FAQs.

Smegbot
Jul 13, 2006

Mon the Biffy!
The link is: https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/warhammer_40000_iron_hands_en-1.pdf

Ctrl+F5 will force refresh to fix cache issues, it looks like this for me: https://i.imgur.com/6MDxi6I.png

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Thanks! The FAQ page is still linking https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/warhammer_40000_iron_hands_en.pdf for me even with with a force refresh. Probably CDN hosting a stale copy.

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008
The Ironstone change:

quote:

Page 58 – The Ironstone
Change this Relic to read: ‘At the start of each battle round, select one friendly Iron Hands Vehicle unit within 3" of the bearer of this Relic. Until the start of your next battle round, when resolving an attack made against that Vehicle unit, if the bearer of this Relic is within 3" of that Vehicle unit you can reduce any damage suffered by 1, to a minimum of 1.’
Additionally, Rites of Tempering restricted to INFANTRY, can't stack Reforge or Machine Empathy on top of normal repairs to dogpile wound recovery on a single unit, Dreadnought characters are limit 1, the overwatch and deny the witch strategems are now 2 CP. These are extremely reasonable and good changes, in my opinion.

Stephenls posted:

conversionapalooza

This is a great post thank you.

nite_moogle fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 17, 2019

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

nite_moogle posted:

This is a great post thank you.

Thanks.

I was originally going to open that post with "I haven't done much conversion work aside from this Dante, but here's a few..." and then I got, what, halfway through compiling the photos?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Stephenis your stuff is extremely cool. Awesome conversions and paint jobs

Also Primaris look so drat good with Mk7 helmets :kimchi:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Does the faq mean people will just off the Iron Hands bandwagon to something else in their meta chasing, or just that everyone will be bringing Iron Hands to the next big tournament but being grumpy about the changes?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Does the faq mean people will just off the Iron Hands bandwagon to something else in their meta chasing, or just that everyone will be bringing Iron Hands to the next big tournament but being grumpy about the changes?

Depends how nasty the new Imperial Fists and Salamanders are.

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I don't think the choice Iron Hands lists change much as a result of this, they're just immensely less frustrating to play against. I'd guess the net changes put Iron Hands and Ultramarines on par with one another, but with very different lists.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

ineptmule posted:

Stephenis your stuff is extremely cool. Awesome conversions and paint jobs

Thanks!

(It’s StephenLS, though.)

ineptmule posted:

Also Primaris look so drat good with Mk7 helmets :kimchi:

They do. I kinda wish I’d had MkV heads on hand when I did those guys, though; I feel like their forehead rivets would fit even better into the whole all-bonding-studs-all-the-time look I had going for them. The theory is that thanks to their access to the forge world of Khiavar, the RGs are relatively tech-rich, but their degrading geneseed makes them personnel-poor, so they reinforce the Hellblaster armor with bonding studs to make it more likely the marines wearing it will survive a plasma mishap—not enough to keep them combat effective afterward, but enough to help them survive so they can recover and be fielded again later.

(And then I just stuck the things all over a bunch of other models without any fluff explanation because they look cool.)

After some discussion, we’re going with this head, to be painted gold to match the armor. And I’m not attaching a crest to it because, uh, my attempt to separate the crest from a Sanguinary Guard head resulted in the crest breaking.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 17, 2019

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The changes merely adjust Iron Hands from Absolute Bullshit down to Really loving Good. Their core ability is unchanged, you can still field an army where everyone re-rolls 1s, has a -1 AP, and doesn't give a poo poo about moving from the first turn, and a lot of the lists we saw weren't heavily dependent on a Repulsor castle anyway.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I am so excited to collect convert and play! I really like the idea of having a few battle senoritas in with my battle caballeros too. I think for the infiltrators I may do mk 8 heads too...the fishmouth is a bit much for me. But they remind me of the mark 8 ceremonial (aka mk 9) metal mini helmet

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

jng2058 posted:

Depends how nasty the new Imperial Fists and Salamanders are.

Probably not as well rounded nasty to unseat iron hands, who are still extremely good after these changes.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Stephenls posted:

Thanks!

(It’s StephenLS, though.)

Ugh lower case Ls suck so hard oh my god*

This is approximately my 900th time getting confused by this sort of thing

* Or perhaps the glyph that is really to blame is the upper case san-serif i :11tea:

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Stephenls posted:

Thank you for your kind words.

I don't do requests at this time; I've got a backlog of stuff I've promised various friends I'd do that I've decided to work through to get them off my mind, which is why I'm doing this now.

Other stuff:

Raven Guard Primaris Chaplain. Skull is clipped off a hanging chain from the chaos vehicle sprue and then anointed with plasticard, green stuff, Tichy Train Group model train rivets, and a cut-off Intercessor helmet neck; body is a mashup of the Aggressor Sergeant and bits cut off from the Primaris Chaplain with more rivets applied to left greave; left shoulder is a ForgeWorld Raven Guard shoulder; scope on pistol is from an Easy to Built Intercessor I cut up for other purposes; bird skulls on right shoulder and left butt cheek are from Citadel Skulls.

The whole post is great, but this head is my favourite--did you have a guide for it or was all from you?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Seldom Posts posted:

The whole post is great, but this head is my favourite--did you have a guide for it or was all from you?

The guide I used is here, but I found it through this, which is his followup about Teminator chaplains and which comes up more quickly on Google searches.

Except I used plasticard for the surrounding structure instead of green stuff; I was having trouble smoothing the green stuff properly. In retrospect I wish I’d used slightly thicker plasticard.

Originally I had him using a Reiver helmet but the vibe was off.

It’s just that one weirdly oversized skull on the Chaos vehicle sprue that works.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 17, 2019

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Stephenls posted:

The guide I used is here, but I found it through this, which is his followup about Teminator chaplains and which comes up more quickly on Google searches.

Except I used plasticard for the surrounding structure instead of green stuff; I was having trouble smoothing the green stuff properly. In retrospect I wish I’d used slightly thicker plasticard.

Originally I had him using a Reiver helmet but the vibe was off.

It’s just that one weirdly oversized skull on the Chaos vehicle sprue that works.

This is great, thank you.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Question on basing dudes...I kinda wanna just paint my bases goblin green with no special texturing or anything, you think that's gonna get the "these are classic primaris dudes" across? I think it'll really sell the neo retro feel of my army

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Question on basing dudes...I kinda wanna just paint my bases goblin green with no special texturing or anything, you think that's gonna get the "these are classic primaris dudes" across? I think it'll really sell the neo retro feel of my army
Gotta get that green flock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Sand. Goblin green. Drybrush yellow.