Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Calling the vote now so I can do my usual map stuff.

Looks like we'll be seeing our first ice planet in a while!

I hope the Goliath Scorpions taunt the Widowmakers with Schwarzenegger Mr. Freeze style ice puns the entire time. Imagine the last thing you hear as an Elemental punches his way into your cockpit being "ICE TO SEE YOU!"

You'd be a weird mix of terrified and completely hate filled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

So I'm hazy on Clan rules, I assume by humiliate the players will be expected to beat them in the field in such a lopsided victory that their pride is wounded and the unit is broken up, but actual kills and strategic goals aren't the focus? The Widowmakers will probably not suffer significant losses and the disbandment is more about morale and prestige rather than lost fighting strength?

I suppose any result will intensify Clan infighting. Are there larger implications for the Goliath Scorpions getting an edge over the Widowmakers?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Dolash posted:

So I'm hazy on Clan rules, I assume by humiliate the players will be expected to beat them in the field in such a lopsided victory that their pride is wounded and the unit is broken up, but actual kills and strategic goals aren't the focus? The Widowmakers will probably not suffer significant losses and the disbandment is more about morale and prestige rather than lost fighting strength?

I suppose any result will intensify Clan infighting. Are there larger implications for the Goliath Scorpions getting an edge over the Widowmakers?

Humiliation takes many forms, and I would wager it is mostly a fluff determination in this case. You could bring forces the Widowmakers see as "inferior" and beat them and that would be humiliating. You could bring equal forces and absolutely crush them. You could fight using questionably honorable tactics and destroy them. There could be something less combat-kill oriented that ends up like Counting Coup on a large scale.

I would think in this case that because the Widowmakers are the attackers and thus have the "advantage" by Clan logic, it will come down to victory by whatever means is most trolly and infuriating. Air dropped Battle Armor will fill some of that quota just by nature. :getin:

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Presumably it will be beating them in a humiliating and disruptive manner that destroys morale and renders their ability to fight as a unit questionable. So counting coup, fighting them in very unClan ways (or making them fight us in very unClan ways), using dishonourable weapons, perhaps staged or faked betrayals, sabotage, refusing to give "honourable" coup de graces to vanquished warriors, etc

Clearly there will be a fine line between mocking them and actually subjecting them to an atrocity that could renew their resolve.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Altitude map for this one's pretty interesting to look at on its own.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That a ridge or a gorge?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Lighter = higher is the general rule for Battletech heightmaps IIRC, so I'm guessing that's a crevasse.

If I don't get to kick a Widowmaker into the abyss like Leonidas I will be sad.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I assume there's skidding rules for ice? Better watch out if you want to go full-speed near that gorge.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
It looks like some kind of collapsed ice bridge with the very abrupt elevation change right near the middle of the crevasse, and I'm going to be deeply disappointed if none of the goons in this mission accidentally throw themselves off it trying to charge an enemy ACE.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ok. Where'd you put the camera?

Edit: I also considered ice floes, but no one would ever walk out on the ice if there was a chance they'd be lost forever.

Given your love of MWO and prodding at it I figured a Frozen City revamped version was inevitable at some point. That or trench warfare slog in the vein of Polar Highwinds.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Green Intern posted:

I assume there's skidding rules for ice? Better watch out if you want to go full-speed near that gorge.

From what I remember, ice is like pavement in that mechs can skid on it. I don't remember if it's got a harsher penalty to the PSR though.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Shoeless posted:

From what I remember, ice is like pavement in that mechs can skid on it. I don't remember if it's got a harsher penalty to the PSR though.

Ice is nasty. You can have a lot of fun just shoving or drop-kicking a 'mech onto a patch of it and watching it try to stand back up.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

With the way Battletech works, I can only assume there's some obscure equipment and rules somewhere for attaching huge skates to the feet of your mech for a bonus on travelling over ice.

There should also be giant kickin' sneaks you can get that prevent skidding on pavement.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Dolash posted:

With the way Battletech works, I can only assume there's some obscure equipment and rules somewhere for attaching huge skates to the feet of your mech for a bonus on travelling over ice.

There should also be giant kickin' sneaks you can get that prevent skidding on pavement.

Mech sized crampons that do bonus damage when kicking prone enemies and prevent skidding on ice? They would probably reduce your running MP by 1, though, if they existed.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Ice is Suuuuuuuuuper great for someone fielding Elementals and hitting lots of mechs with leg attacks!

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
What are some of the more interesting environmental rules for Battletech? I'm curious what high and low gravity do exactly since any MechHQ game on those worlds leads to mechs ripping their legs off when they try running .

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What are the rules for orbital dropping into a gas giant?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Synthbuttrange posted:

Let me check the rulebook here...

Hmm, it says "see nuclear weapons." Okay...

"You die"

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

Gravity squishes your mech into a tiny ball that impacts the metallic core with a resounding thud. You die.

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

Olothreutes posted:

Gravity squishes your mech into a tiny ball that impacts the metallic core with a resounding thud. You die.

Mechs have the density of foamed polyurethane, so it would float somewhere in the upper atmosphere. Probably high enough to survive the pressure if it doesn't melt from temperature.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

I always wondered how the jumpjets could do such an impressive job.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Hover-tanks are a thing, has anyone made hover-mechs? Or at least some sort of Jump variant that can stay airborn at all times without being a LAM.

An all-hovering mech battle in the atmosphere of a Gas Giant where if your Jump Jets get disabled you drop to your death in the clouds below would be rad.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Calling the vote now so I can do my usual map stuff.

Looks like we'll be seeing our first ice planet in a while!

Finally we shall beat the icey ship I never beat in regular MW2 Mercs

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Remmon posted:

Mechs have the density of foamed polyurethane, so it would float somewhere in the upper atmosphere. Probably high enough to survive the pressure if it doesn't melt from temperature.

That's not how gas giants work. They're not as dense as Earths' atmosphere so they'd sink until they hit a liquid layer and shatter like glass, and we know `Mechs sink in liquid so they'd eventually do the same thing even on a gas giant.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's not how gas giants work. They're not as dense as Earths' atmosphere so they'd sink until they hit a liquid layer and shatter like glass, and we know `Mechs sink in liquid so they'd eventually do the same thing even on a gas giant.

And then the Space Undines reveal themselves... :staredog:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Better question:

Since fire-resistant armor renders the wearer immune to all fire- and heat-based effects, does that mean Salamanders can operate safely on the surface of the sun?

A) Who cares? As with gas giants it's outside the scope of the game and not something to be concerned about.

RAW the answer is 'yes, but' since the armor will protect the wearer from the sun's heat but not from the deadly, deadly radiation.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Better question:

Since fire-resistant armor renders the wearer immune to all fire- and heat-based effects, does that mean Salamanders can operate safely on the surface of the sun?

A) Who cares? As with gas giants it's outside the scope of the game and not something to be concerned about.

RAW the answer is 'yes, but' since the armor will protect the wearer from the sun's heat but not from the deadly, deadly radiation.

It would at least protect them from getting cooked by the radiation. So they just get to enjoy the wonders of cancer! Curse you, magic shielding.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Has a full on cure been discovered for cancer in Battletech, come to think of it? If they do, then Salamanders can chill on a star all day every day.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Shoeless posted:

Has a full on cure been discovered for cancer in Battletech, come to think of it?

Yes and No. Cancer killed Grayson "Death" Carlyle and cancer was also a plot point that's supposed to humanize Victor by giving him a failure/weakness (but instead just made him look like a heartless idiot).

Joshua Marik, Thomas Hallas's son, died of leukemia while at the NAIS. We need the Free Worlds League to continue supplying us with upgrade kits, do we tell Thomas "Marik" that his son is dead or do we make a body double and lie about it?

A competent diplomat would've told Thomas Marik and then parlayed the man's grief into continuing to supply the AFFS with upgrade kits at cost "Your son died to protect the Inner Sphere from the Clans, he's a hero and we've created Joshua Day to honor him and all of the other innocents who suffer in the name of peace."

Victor made the double and pretended nothing was wrong, a situation that lasted less than a year until Katrina leaked it to Thomas to start a war with the League and increase unrest in the Lyran Commonwealth.

The Clans meanwhile have effective and functional gene therapy to reduce the risk of / cure cancer, but most of their warriors don't live long enough for cancer to be a concern so it's mainly for the other castes.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 24, 2016

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
I wonder what ever happened to the clone of Joshua Marik. Did they just dispose of him or something?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

If you want a flaw to humanize someone with, "is a big enough rear end in a top hat to clone a man's son and lie that they cured his leukemia in the name of strategic convenience" is pretty fertile ground, but judging by how Victor and the writing around him is received I'm going to guess this was not painted as the heartless move of someone rationalizing their increasingly questionable decisions for the war effort.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
^^^ Actually, it was exactly that. He realized almost immediately that the body double was a mistake he'd made due to stress (and never realized that it was Katherine pushing him into it, IIRC, just like she convinced him to assassinate her only political rival Ryan Steiner). Katherine was very, very good at manipulating Victor into doing very stupid things for "good" reasons. She basically presented him with the false choice of "Body double" or "AFFS loses its upgrades and the Clans win" and he chose the body double.

Edit: Actually, come to think of it, that might not have been Katherine. I haven't read those books in a long while but I'm certain she had her hand in the pot somewhere.

Rorahusky posted:

I wonder what ever happened to the clone of Joshua Marik. Did they just dispose of him or something?

Her.

She was also a leukemia patient (at a much earlier stage) who accepted the role willingly since it meant her family wouldn't have to pay for her treatment (the Free Worlds League was technically doing that :v: ). She's never mentioned again but I prefer to believe she continued getting her free healthcare and was eventually cured.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 24, 2016

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

^^^ Actually, it was exactly that. He realized almost immediately that the body double was a mistake he'd made due to stress (and never realized that it was Katherine pushing him into it, IIRC, just like she convinced him to assassinate her only political rival Ryan Steiner). Katherine was very, very good at manipulating Victor into doing very stupid things for "good" reasons. She basically presented him with the false choice of "Body double" or "AFFS loses its upgrades and the Clans win" and he chose the body double.

Edit: Actually, come to think of it, that might not have been Katherine. I haven't read those books in a long while but I'm certain she had her hand in the pot somewhere.

Her.

She was also a leukemia patient (at a much earlier stage) who accepted the role willingly since it meant her family wouldn't have to pay for her treatment (the Free Worlds League was technically doing that :v: ). She's never mentioned again but I prefer to believe she continued getting her free healthcare and was eventually cured.

A social safety net? In the Federated Suns? I bet you think she knew how to read.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Defiance Industries posted:

A social safety net? In the Federated Suns? I bet you think she knew how to read.

She was either from New Avalon or her family was wealthy enough to get her there (the second's unlikely if medical bills were a concern) so yeah, she might've been able to. :v:

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Something something Taurian Concordat something something highest literacy rate in the Inner Sphere.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Shoeless posted:

Something something Taurian Concordat something something highest literacy rate in the Inner Sphere.

Even the Combine managed to have more or less universal literacy. It's not THAT hard.

I mean, unless you're a Davion.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Concordat is that player in Civ who spends all their time building wonders and settling cities, and then gets them taken away by the player who spent all their time building an army.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

wiegieman posted:

The Concordat is that player in Civ who spends all their time building wonders and settling cities, and then gets them taken away by the player who spent all their time building an army.

No, they are Ghandi.

They were rushing nukes.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

What would the wonders of the Inner Sphere be, anyway? Stuff from the Sol System is off-limits. Off the top of my head, there's DefHes, the NAIS, the dinosaurs of Caph and Bountiful Harvest, a planet that's 70% arable land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Helm would be one of those wonders that gives you a free technology, like the Oracle in Civ IV.

• Locked thread