Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Afriscipio posted:

I've been given The Thing board game for my birthday. How scared should I be of it being bad game?

One of the guys at my board game group just played it at a convention and immediately bought it while saying "IT'S SO GOOD!" in our group text and he usually has pretty good taste so I'm excited to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I'm pretty sure Holmes actually straight-up cheats in at least one case in SHCD.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
If anyone is familiar with the game TAMSK; its the retired game out of the GIPF series that uses sand timers as player pieces, and has been out of print for yeeeears. I spotted one on eBay today and shot the seller a message asking if they had tested the timers, as that game was notorious for having wildly variable timers in it. I was expecting a curt "yeah, they're fine" or "no, haven't tested" response...but instead she sends exhaustive logs of testing all 7 timers in the game 3 or 4 times solely because I asked about it.

I felt kinda obligated to submit an offer on the game after that.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

What are your favorite card games playable with a 52-card standard deck? My family likes Oh Hell which is a trick-taking game involving bidding, but I feel it takes a little long to play in the way that we play it (19 rounds!)

Bridge.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

hyphz posted:

Bridge.

I think you mean Spades?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

food court bailiff posted:

I'm pretty sure Holmes actually straight-up cheats in at least one case in SHCD.

Yeah we came to that conclusion too.

What was more surprising was that there's one case where he just does everything perfectly reasonably.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

What are your favorite card games playable with a 52-card standard deck? My family likes Oh Hell which is a trick-taking game involving bidding, but I feel it takes a little long to play in the way that we play it (19 rounds!)

Rummy 500.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Cribbage feels like a modern game and there's nothing else really like it.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Huxley posted:

Cribbage feels like a modern game and there's nothing else really like it.

God bless that old Hoyle computer game for allowing me to play cribbage against a talking dog, or maybe even Graham from Kings Quest.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

jivjov posted:

If anyone is familiar with the game TAMSK; its the retired game out of the GIPF series that uses sand timers as player pieces, and has been out of print for yeeeears. I spotted one on eBay today and shot the seller a message asking if they had tested the timers, as that game was notorious for having wildly variable timers in it. I was expecting a curt "yeah, they're fine" or "no, haven't tested" response...but instead she sends exhaustive logs of testing all 7 timers in the game 3 or 4 times solely because I asked about it.

I felt kinda obligated to submit an offer on the game after that.

That was a nice response I would also have felt obligated to make an offer

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

hyphz posted:

Bridge.

Bridge is good - if you want something less complex Euchre or Australian 500 are also good? There is a fairly clear sequence of complexity here

Trumps are fixed or random, no bidding (All the whist games)
Very Simple bidding to select Trumps (Euchre)
Simple bidding to select trumps (Australian 500, which I gather exists in Canada too?)
Complex bidding to select Trumps (Bridge).

Just slide up or down depending on your appetite for complexity. I think 500 is the 'sweet spot' for family card games, but Euchre has a lot to recommend it.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 19, 2018

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Bridge is good - if you want something less complex Euchre or Australian 500 are also good? There is a fairly clear sequence of complexity here

Trumps are fixed or random, no bidding (All the whist games)
Very Simple bidding to select Trumps (Euchre)
Simple bidding to select trumps (Australian 500, which I gather exists in Canada too?)
Complex bidding to select Trumps (Bridge).

Just slide up or down depending on your appetite for complexity. I think 500 is the 'sweet spot' for family card games, but Euchre has a lot to recommend it.

Euchre is great for drunks, card-counters, and/or cheaters.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Bridge, hearts is okay, spades, rummy 500 is fun, cribbage is actually quite good.

But Bridge is the best.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kiranamos posted:

God bless that old Hoyle computer game for allowing me to play cribbage against a talking dog, or maybe even Graham from Kings Quest.

Look up Cribbage With Grandpas.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Speaking as a midwesterner, I could die happy without ever being invited to another euchre table for my entire life

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
My favorites card games:
1) Sheepshead is like advanced/more interesting euchre. Recommend playing with called ace for partner.
2) up and down the river, which is an oh hell variant.
3) cribbage
4) rummy 500 (only played a couple times)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Ropes4u posted:

That was a nice response I would also have felt obligated to make an offer

Yeah; I'm now the proud owner of TAMSK for "only" $125. But it's in great condition, comes with the Potentials to bring into GIPF, and that's cheaper than the last one I saw on eBay

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Skat, Ninety-Nine, Schafkopf/Sheepshead, and Tien Len are all nice trick-taking games played with a normal deck of cards.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I've heard good things about Tichu but haven't played it. Not quite a standard deck but you can easily DIY the 4 wild cards with the two stock jokers and stealing two jokers from another deck.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Tree Dude posted:

I've heard good things about Tichu but haven't played it. Not quite a standard deck but you can easily DIY the 4 wild cards with the two stock jokers and stealing two jokers from another deck.

I have played it and it is rad. It has been a big hit with every group we tried it in.

One of our game pals as it turns out is an absolute wizard with trick taking games of every sort and she and her partner just walloped us.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Some Numbers posted:

I think you mean Spades?

Black people Spades or white people Spades? Very different games while using the same base mechanic. I was shocked when I first came across white people Spades, I didn't know people played that way. In case you didn't know, black people Spades uses a mechanic called board. Board is where the table decides how many tricks you must take to score. So if Board is four, then you must bid at least four and take at least four to make your bid. Black people don't play null, I hadn't heard of that until I encountered white people playing Spades.

*Somewhat tongue in cheek of course, but really I don't know of black people from the south at least who play null.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
who's ready for the hottest board game sequel of all time

https://twitter.com/ttpm/status/964499951861555200

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

My mother and I have started playing Loser's Cribbage. It's the exact same game, but whoever gets 121 first loses. There's something satisfying about throwing a pair of 5s into your opponent's crib.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

ElNarez posted:

who's ready for the hottest board game sequel of all time

This is like a bad photoshop gag from 10 years ago, except somehow real I guess.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

rydiafan posted:

My mother and I have started playing Loser's Cribbage. It's the exact same game, but whoever gets 121 first loses. There's something satisfying about throwing a pair of 5s into your opponent's crib.

Lots of games are fun to play like this. 7 Blunders is always a hit with a group that's played the original a lot.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

deadwing posted:

Lots of games are fun to play like this. 7 Blunders is always a hit with a group that's played the original a lot.

... "I'll discard this for 3 coins"?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Jabor posted:

... "I'll discard this for 3 coins"?

Can't if you have a legal play. There's more to 7 Blunders than just "try to lose 7 Wonders". It's surprisingly well designed.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/85134/7-blunders

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Lorini posted:

Black people Spades or white people Spades? Very different games while using the same base mechanic. I was shocked when I first came across white people Spades, I didn't know people played that way. In case you didn't know, black people Spades uses a mechanic called board. Board is where the table decides how many tricks you must take to score. So if Board is four, then you must bid at least four and take at least four to make your bid. Black people don't play null, I hadn't heard of that until I encountered white people playing Spades.

*Somewhat tongue in cheek of course, but really I don't know of black people from the south at least who play null.

Based on that description, white people Spades. Bidding Nil is the best thing.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/139373 Palenque is on sale again at CSI for $3, this time with a limit of 6/customer. I don't know what other games I'll make with the materials, but I know I'll spraypaint some popsicle sticks and make Tokyo Highway. Really tempted to get my friend to buy me 6 more because that's a whole ton of materials and ready-wrapped boards I can use.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
After playing a lot of 500, I think that Nullo or similar rules where you have to lose all tricks are bad - bit it highly depends on the scoring. In Australian 500 they are degenerate

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

food court bailiff posted:

Betrayal at the House on the Hill/Baldur's Gate is co-op for 90% of the game (and sometimes longer!), there's generally very very little combat, and the exploration mechanics and sheer number of haunt scenarios give it a ton of replayability.

...that said, they're not "good games" - they're very flawed, often have weird rules edge cases, and some haunts are just the antithesis of fun. But despite that, it's still one of my favorite games in my collection, because playing it with a spooky movie on and good friends, we always manage to salvage a good time even when it goes horribly wrong.

house on the hill haunts were usually fun but sometimes very bad. the widow's walk haunts were just absolute poo poo, so bad that we just went with a rule system to only play the vanilla haunts. I've only played a couple rounds of baldur's gate, but from what I've seen and heard, they're massively cleaned up and rebalanced. my table top group weren't spitefully hollering and cussing at each other at the end of the night which I see as a victory

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tree Dude posted:

I absolutely detested Tichu. It's on my very short list of "games I'd rather play nothing than play".

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Here in West-Flanders we love Manillen. It uses 32 cards, from 7 to king plus the aces. The 10s have the highest value, then ace, king, etc. The 10 is worth five points at the end of the trick, aces 4 and so on. 7, 8 and 9 are worthless.

It is playes in 2 teams of 2, where each person gets 8 cards and the dealer chooses a trump ("no trump" is allowed) , then the player to the left starts play. You generally play to 121 points or 12 games total, depends on what you decide before the game.

Basic rules:
- you must follow suit, and if the other teambis leading you have to play a higher value if possible
- if you can't follow and the other team is leading the trick, you must play a trump
- it is not permitted to play a lower value trump card unless you have nothing else

A trick mostly plays itself when the first card is played, so the strategy lies mostly in decising what to open with, or how high to follow.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Lorini posted:

In NE Texas everyone (black and white) plays a domino game called 42, preferably while drinking, and occasionally poker.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Jedit posted:

I absolutely detested Tichu. It's on my very short list of "games I'd rather play nothing than play".

Yeah but like some of the others on your list, tichu is a good game.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Lorini posted:

I actually listed spades but didn't want to say black people spades because it might be a little iffy for me to say that.

Basically everyone should at least read threads in the great race space, if not comment in them without being careful.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

rydiafan posted:

That last sentence hurts me.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

rydiafan posted:

Can't if you have a legal play. There's more to 7 Blunders than just "try to lose 7 Wonders". It's surprisingly well designed.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/85134/7-blunders

Sushi No! Party was tons of fun. I've never been so happy to see another person reveal a Miso soup alongside me or pass me a lonely sashimo as my last card of the round.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

If you have german friends you should ask them about skat, doppelkopf or schafkopf. these are team trick taking games where the teams change from round to round. at the start of the round you dont know who your partner(s) will be. complicated at first, but very fun.

other than that, durak. its from russia and plays fast and mean.

discount cathouse fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Feb 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
We played a ton of durak growing up with my Western Canadian German background grandparents. I have no idea how to play it anymore though.

A lot of Euchre too, but mostly I just remember a lot of cheating in the Euchre.