Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Toops posted:

I personally believe there is great value in keeping stupid people distracted and out of the way.

I wonder if we could set up Star Citizen "camps" where they could all live and "work" in a kind of splendid isolation, apart from the more valuable and productive members of society.

idk just an idea.

You want to move them all to the same area, focus that manpower into a specific location, like a bivouac in a field?

I don't know man, I think we're concentrating on the wrong thing here...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

xXAdmiralBekHarXx posted:

My posting is a lot like Ben's blood sugar levels: out of control.

on the contrary, it's been testicle free

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
Boocha where is your video?

:hyped:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

This is smart to post because now you can remind people how long they've been waiting for this basic functionality to get in the game. And it's even better because it adds nothing really to gameplay fun.

"What is your reaction to this fake cutscene?"

Haha. Good job. :allears:

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Hav posted:

People got hyped for a science-fiction second-life that promised to supply a lifetime of exploration and empire building which wasn't entirely helped by a developer getting shoved into the limelight and doing a Crobbers-esque series of frantic affirmations. At launch it turned out that the players were all sharded in the same universe, like ED on 'Solo'.

Haters dogpiled on the whole MMO thing pointing out that it was a claimed promise, while stoners went away and explored. Turned out that you could hit the 'endgame' point in around 10 hours if you had luck and a following wind, which raised the complaints to 11.

Shittons of refunds and returns were made, with Hello games promising to make good.

As of now, it's still a slightly broken rogue-like that benefits from the finest herbage and time that now includes many of the features that people wanted, including bases, building freighters to haul around, a better flight system and less weird design choices. Of particular note is a crashed freighter that makes up part of a new 'storyline' and some radiant quest stuff.

I actually liked it at launch, but it wasn't worth the price. Now it's worth $20 if you like to turn your brain off and gently caress around on a planet that may or may not want to kill you.

I bomb North Korea on a very irregular basis in CMANO.

I'm justifying this based on an insight into jury selection, but also because it's loving hilarious - https://harpers.org/archive/2017/09/public-enemy/

Edit: kant spull 'sharded'.

Sweet thanks

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

quote:

gamescom will feature sandi and one of the remaining big name actors doing some live mo-cap work, with direction from chris, of course. it'll be a pivotal scene that will hopefully get people interested in the sq42 story line.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

G0RF posted:

There have been so many fantastic posters here and in threads past. Too many to list!

The button is in the wrong spot. Isn't this where we came in?

I've failed to make the cut. It's ok. Senpai will never notice me now.

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

IM hyped for gamescom

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

How many millions do you think they will vacuum out of citizens from gamescom? I'm going to say 1.7 because I don't think there are enough whales left to break 2 and no one new has bought into this poo poo in ages.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

big nipples big life posted:

How many millions do you think they will vacuum out of citizens from gamescom? I'm going to say 1.7 because I don't think there are enough whales left to break 2 and no one new has bought into this poo poo in ages.

~4 million in the time between GC and citcon. and we will all be surprised at how much money this garbage fire continues to raise

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

It's kind of like people believing in that false religion that promises people cool stuff when they'll actually be burning in hell

Do you think that's okay too??

Religion is an ingenious piece of social engineering that gives hope and sense of purpose to billions by hiding the intrinsic purposelessness of the universe. Most importantly, it crushes the desire to self-actualize by teaching obedience and surrender as the only means of fulfillment. Self-actualization doesn't actually do anything for you, because no matter how "actualized" and "empowered" and "aware" you are, when you die you get erased just the same.

If people believe they are fulfilled, and thus feel fulfilled, are they not fulfilled? If people believe they enjoy Star Citizen, do they not? Who's to say? I bet if you did a brain scan on a SC faithful during one of their cringey theorycrafting sessions their pleasure center would be lit as gently caress.

Religion works for the same reason Star Citizen does: Hope that there is something else other than muddling through life and dying horribly. Distraction and repression of negative thoughts are critical human survival.

We're all going to die and it doesn't mean anything. I can't genuinely disparage the means by which someone represses the crippling sadness inherent to living. But I do it anyway, bc it's very, very funny.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Danknificent posted:

Sweet thanks

Threadage: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3799582 - Skip to the end if you want to miss a bunch of partisan bickering.

Edit: ^^^ Same, except I'm getting sick of popcorn and schadenfruede.

Hav fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 17, 2017

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
https://twitter.com/commando_tom/status/898243697665609728

:grin:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

hello cyborg friend, how goes it

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You want to move them all to the same area, focus that manpower into a specific location, like a bivouac in a field?

I don't know man, I think we're concentrating on the wrong thing here...

I mean it's probably not the be-all-end-all solution, just a thing to consider.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Daztek posted:

hello cyborg friend, how goes it

Bit more with it today, so far so good!

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

peter gabriel posted:

Bit more with it today, so far so good!

Yeah but is that true, or is that just what they programmed you to say...

j/k man glad you're back and feeling better <3

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot
There's no way they make 4 fuckin million dollars.

But then again they're already creaming themselves for the 600i.

And then again I've been really wrong about this before.

So gently caress.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Toops posted:

*beep boop* ha ha yes I agree! I will be seeing you Around The 'Verse at Gamescon and beyond with our the upcoming 3.0 patch which will punch above its weight!

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

toanoradian posted:

I may not say it, but I appreciate posts made by these people:
peter gabriel
G0RF
Derek Sm-I mean, Beet Wagon
Beer4TheBeerGod
people who explained IT and game development concepts

You made this thread a worthy read, thank you

oh sure, all the POPULAR kids...

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Danknificent posted:

What was so awful about NMS again? I never played it or paid attention to the hype.

I borrowed NMS PS4 edition from my work's media library at launch. So keep in mind I didn't spend a dime... Yet I still feel like my time was stolen and somehow someone owes me money.

- After ~3 hours of gameplay I experienced a bug where any time I warped to a new star, it would crash the PS4. (firmware bluescreen)

- Restarted, and after ~ 11 hours I experienced a fairly basic collision bug where I fell through the world (and into the base water layer the terrain is built on, which happened to be toxic on this world.) Normally this type of bug is only slightly annoying, but since the hole in the collision was EXACTLY WHERE I got out of my ship, reloading the game just resulted in me falling back through the hole. I spent about 40 minutes trying to use the grenades to get out, but terrain is invincible from the bottom so I eventually just had to find another hole in the collision.

- Pirates who attack you in space could be defeated by only the most advanced tactics, such as flying directly backwards and shooting at them as they fly right at you without dodging any of your bullets.

- Combat felt awful, and although I can't say for sure the mining laser seemed better at combat when compared to the actual gun.

- The basic gameplay loop was not fun for me, but that's subjective and potentially the survival mode/additions they made could fix this.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Nicholas posted:

gamescom will feature sandi and one of the remaining big name actors doing some live mo-cap work, with direction from chris, of course. it'll be a pivotal scene that will hopefully get people interested in the sq42 story line.

Oh, they watched that Hellblade making of video.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

can you really imagine chris "mo' money, mo' cap" roberts letting himself be out-done by a small indie studio and a woman who had literally never acted before in her life

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

Toops posted:

peter gabriel posted:

*beep boop* ha ha yes I agree! I will be seeing you Around The 'Verse at Gamescon and beyond with our the upcoming 3.0 patch which will punch above its weight!

Peter you don't seem so angry now :unsmith:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

his nibs posted:

Peter you don't seem so angry now :unsmith:

I feel fine and refreshed and refactored Citizen!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Toops posted:

Religion is an ingenious piece of social engineering that gives hope and sense of purpose to billions by hiding the intrinsic purposelessness of the universe. Most importantly, it crushes the desire to self-actualize by teaching obedience and surrender as the only means of fulfillment. Self-actualization doesn't actually do anything for you, because no matter how "actualized" and "empowered" and "aware" you are, when you die you get erased just the same.

If people believe they are fulfilled, and thus feel fulfilled, are they not fulfilled? If people believe they enjoy Star Citizen, do they not? Who's to say? I bet if you did a brain scan on a SC faithful during one of their cringey theorycrafting sessions their pleasure center would be lit as gently caress.

Religion works for the same reason Star Citizen does: Hope that there is something else other than muddling through life and dying horribly. Distraction and repression of negative thoughts are critical human survival.

We're all going to die and it doesn't mean anything. I can't genuinely disparage the means by which someone represses the crippling sadness inherent to living. But I do it anyway, bc it's very, very funny.

I'm sure there are Citizens whose lives don't suffer hugely because of SC, and who'll be okay when it all comes tumbling. Then, there'll also be dudes who have sunk not only their hopes and dreams and time and money but their sense of self-worth and purpose into the game and community, and they won't be fine -- there'll be idiot nerds who hurt themselves or others when they're robbed of it, because unlike a religion, SC can't survive for generations

I'm a miserable, cynical bastard though, maybe I'm just not equipped to accept others' happiness

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

This is good for Star Citizen :)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Toops posted:

I mean it's probably not the be-all-end-all solution, just a thing to consider.

We should write a book about it, see how well it takes off with the public. We've got a good base with the SA goons. Then at launch it is we who will be laughing, partying all night with bottles of crystal.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I'm sure there are Citizens whose lives don't suffer hugely because of SC, and who'll be okay when it all comes tumbling. Then, there'll also be dudes who have sunk not only their hopes and dreams and time and money but their sense of self-worth and purpose into the game and community, and they won't be fine -- there'll be idiot nerds who hurt themselves or others when they're robbed of it, because unlike a religion, SC can't survive for generations

I'm a miserable, cynical bastard though, maybe I'm just not equipped to accept others' happiness

It's kind of sad when you think of it like that but on the other hand consider Clifford AKA Miku's twitter account and the meltdowns it will contain when CIG finally rolls over and dies

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

peter gabriel posted:

I'm glad you're feeling better, friend. :)

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Have you tried spelling out simple words with kitchen magnets on your skull?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Nicholas posted:

can you really imagine chris "mo' money, mo' cap" roberts letting himself be out-done by a small indie studio and a woman who had literally never acted before in her life

I hope this is the big surprise for Gamescom.

Lladre posted:

Have you tried spelling out simple words with kitchen magnets on your skull?

Titanium isn't magnetic. Get it together.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

xXAdmiralBekHarXx posted:

I think we may have forgotten but CIG literally sold a news van variant for a news profession. INN had one.

Dude they even LARPed news stories from inside The Verse. Do not discount their commitment to the profession!

Sataball? Oops! Yeeeeahhh that's a bit... awkward.

Oh well, we just signed up to help Chris makes the game he wants to make. If that means spending millions on outsourcing partners, mismanaging the oversight, throwing away their work and keeping it all secret from your financiers, well WELCOME TO GAME DEVELOPMENT!

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I'm hoping in the upcoming Road to Apologycon video we get more of CR standing around the office in a sweating suit eating a bowl of cereal

What a professional thumb. Look how hard he works. Go CIG! :peanut:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Hey guys I just read saw Enders Game. We're putting that in the game today!

Did I mention I'm the boss, and my wife signs your checks? Just do it! :downs:

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Beet Wagon posted:

It's kind of sad when you think of it like that but on the other hand consider Clifford AKA Miku's twitter account and the meltdowns it will contain when CIG finally rolls over and dies

There will be less meltdowns than we expect, this game has been circling the toilet for so long that I think a bunch of the believers are mentally preparing themselves for the worst. When it all comes tumbling down, there will mostly be people saying, "Whelp, they gave it a shot. We always knew failure was a possibility." Then they will just quietly slink away. Making a big stink about it will only make them look dumb for not being able to see the cracks forming years ago.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
We don't cheat. Real Newtonian physics! *noclips through the very fabric of the universe at sub-light speed*

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

big nipples big life posted:

6.9 million, enough to run the show for 420 more days

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

hot balls man no homo posted:

There will be less meltdowns than we expect, this game has been circling the toilet for so long that I think a bunch of the believers are mentally preparing themselves for the worst. When it all comes tumbling down, there will mostly be people saying, "Whelp, they gave it a shot. We always knew failure was a possibility." Then they will just quietly slink away. Making a big stink about it will only make them look dumb for not being able to see the cracks forming years ago.

You'll just see them posting feverishly about the next kickstarter MMO made by a team that should be starting out with a 2d sidescroller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

XK posted:

Titanium isn't magnetic. Get it together.

Use titanium kitchen magnets then. :smugdog: