Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
I'm rocking a Cortech by Tour Master GX Air Series 2 Jacket that I got from motorcyclegear.com I absolutely love it! I feel it is a good balance of comfort (meh) and safety (CE approved hard armor + leather at all impact/slide points)

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/mesh_jackets_and_pants/cortech_by_tour_master/gx_air_series_2_motorcycle_jacket.html

I've been wearing it in these 100 degree days in Michigan without any issues although I do soak a neck tube thing in cold water on my ride home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

I wear a Vanson Vent Max 4 and I love it.

I look at mesh gear as basically disposable in a hard crash, so I don't really sweat it as long as it has good protection and comfort.

It is way, way, WAY more comfortable than my custom Vanson leathers, even in not hot at all SoCal 80 degree weather.

I also wear their Vent pants and those are really nice too (promise I'm not a rep for Vanson, I just love their stuff..especially because there are not logos everywhere like A*).

I'm trying to find a pair of A* Supertech Rs for a reasonable price, then I'm pretty much set on vented gear.

[panic]
Aug 16, 2000

bounce bounce bounce
I bought this one on closeout from a local shop this week and I really like it. Much better than riding in my leather jacket. Size one down.

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/mesh+motorcycle+jackets/fieldsheer_air+tour+mesh+jacket

edit: SoCal people should be disqualified from commenting on anything that has to do with heat.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

"[panic posted:

"]
I bought this one on closeout from a local shop this week and I really like it. Much better than riding in my leather jacket. Size one down.

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/mesh+motorcycle+jackets/fieldsheer_air+tour+mesh+jacket

edit: SoCal people should be disqualified from commenting on anything that has to do with heat.

I ride with the Tourmaster Intake 2 mesh because the 72° in socal is unbearable.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

It took a while to get used to the color (which I now actually like), but I was just out there in 104F (117F with humidity) wearing my Corazzo Speedway:
http://www.corazzo.net/mens-speedway-jacket

It's only got a thin little mesh stripe, but that's enough to get a little bit of air. It feels a little strange though when you hit 90 or so.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Crayvex posted:

I'm rocking a Cortech by Tour Master GX Air Series 2 Jacket that I got from motorcyclegear.com I absolutely love it! I feel it is a good balance of comfort (meh) and safety (CE approved hard armor + leather at all impact/slide points)

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/mesh_jackets_and_pants/cortech_by_tour_master/gx_air_series_2_motorcycle_jacket.html

How is the sizing on this? My current riding jacket is a large and it fits just right. Does it run small or big? I was going to get the large tall version but they're sold out, and I don't want to go up to the extra large and have a huge chest area just so the sleeves are long enough. I guess a better way to ask, is the measurements that are provided accurate?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I think I finally got my perfect setup.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

americanzero4128 posted:

How is the sizing on this? My current riding jacket is a large and it fits just right. Does it run small or big? I was going to get the large tall version but they're sold out, and I don't want to go up to the extra large and have a huge chest area just so the sleeves are long enough. I guess a better way to ask, is the measurements that are provided accurate?

I'll take some measurements for you although I can tell you that it runs big in the belly.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Can anyone point me to a helmet along the lines of a Davida Classic that is DOT approved and not a beach ball? I picked up this cheapo HCI Retro 50 that I thought might work out, but I look like Toad with this thing on. It's massive.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

americanzero4128 posted:

I took some measurements and the sleeves length is exactly as listed for medium at 26.5" I have a slim build and the medium is baggy on me. I think you may need to go with another jacket.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I have a bit of dilemma over pants and could use some goon advice to help me decide what to do. I'll preface by saying that I'm short and skinny like some other folks here and I typically shoot for 30-30 when buying jeans. I just got a pair of Icon Overlord Prime pants in size 30 and am uncertain about them.

The waist is a bit too roomy, but I think sending them back and getting a 28 will solve that. However, both the 28 and 30 have a 32 inch inseam. The extra length bunches up a little bit on the heel cup and external armor of my boots, which seems ok. I'm not sure about the way the internal knee armor rests on my leg though. Without boots, the knee puck definitely doesn't feel like it's actually high enough on my knee where it should be. With boots on, the shin portion of the armor kind of rests on the shin guard of the boot, propping the armor up a bit into a position that feels much better. Even so, I still feel like I can slide it up just a little bit by hand into a position that feels 'just right'. At that point though I'm not sure if I'm just being really paranoid about it. This is all in a sitting position after standing and walking around.

So after all that hemming and hawing my question is this: does it sounds like these pants will work if I get the smaller waist size, or do I have a real problem with the knee armor here and need to find something else?

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Went to Revzilla's showroom to get most of my gear the other day and I have to give Bob a lot of credit for spending almost 2 hours of the the 3 they were open Thursday to educate me and get some great gear.

Ended up leaving with a Shoei RF1100 helmet, Dainese TRQ-Tour Gore-Tex boots, and a pair of Rev'it Dirt gloves. Very impressed with their customer service and the time taken to educate me as a new rider.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
I've seen a lot of positive stuff about Shoei helmets here. Does anyone have anything specific about the Shoei Multitec?

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Helmet.aspx?Multitec&h=13&t=1

I don't mind spending the money on a nice helmet and I like that I can flip it up if I get super hot (central Texas).

Buuuuut I'm a new rider. Is it safe to order one online if I get a good head measurement? I don't know where I could go to try a helmet on besides the local Harley Dealer?

Anyone have a recommendation for a site to order from?

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating
What's everyone's experience with anti-fog solutions for helmet visors? Thinking of getting a pinlock visor for winter riding.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Pred1ct posted:

What's everyone's experience with anti-fog solutions for helmet visors? Thinking of getting a pinlock visor for winter riding.

They are awesome, but some people say they distorts vision too much for their liking.

There are also liquids you can smear on the inside, but that needs to be reapplied every day.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

CombatMedic posted:

I've seen a lot of positive stuff about Shoei helmets here. Does anyone have anything specific about the Shoei Multitec?

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Helmet.aspx?Multitec&h=13&t=1

I don't mind spending the money on a nice helmet and I like that I can flip it up if I get super hot (central Texas).

Buuuuut I'm a new rider. Is it safe to order one online if I get a good head measurement? I don't know where I could go to try a helmet on besides the local Harley Dealer?

Anyone have a recommendation for a site to order from?

Cycle Gear (two in Austin), Woods Fun Center (Austin), and Central Texas Powersports (Georgetown) all should carry the Shoei Multitec.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

Pred1ct posted:

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=5000&L2=1&L3=107&L4=&item=TUC_55-0048_G&name=FOGCITY_Hyper_Optiks_Faceshield_Insert

I used one of these several years ago, worked well. Don't live where it's an issue anymore though.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
News article highlighting one less typical reason you might want to alway wear a helmet.

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/15127429/maury-county-man-survives-crushing-blow?hpt=us_bn5

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
^That guy must be related to one of the stooges.

If anyone happens to buy one of the new A* jackets with the upgradable chest armor, I'd recommend adding some re-enforcement to the chest pockets. I've had the armor fall straight out of it five times now. Probably sewing up the bottom is the way to go, but I was never any good at that stuff.

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts

Yuns posted:

News article highlighting one less typical reason you might want to alway wear a helmet.

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/15127429/maury-county-man-survives-crushing-blow?hpt=us_bn5

It also shows you should go to the hospital when you get your head loving RUN OVER BY A TRUCK! Jesus, what was he thinking?

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest

Pred1ct posted:

A lot of Scorpion helmets come with some proprietary no-fogging visors. When I got mine I was expecting it to be pure bullshit, but I've not seen it fog in nearly 100% humidity anywhere from 40-100 degrees F with me huffing at it.

Ben Murphy
Sep 9, 2001

I like him in spite of the fact that he's not me.
I'm not sure how many people here frequent SA-Mart, but if you are looking for a good deal on a used Scorpion EXO-400 Rebel helmet and a Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 jacket, check it out:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3427113

Both are pretty brilliant pieces of gear that should do you well all year round.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Not to be a jerk but you may want to consider lowering the helmet price a tad as new versions can be had for ~60.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

BradleyJamers posted:

It also shows you should go to the hospital when you get your head loving RUN OVER BY A TRUCK! Jesus, what was he thinking?

Probably that he's a young guy, he feels fine, hospitals are horrible all-day nightmares for the doctor to tell you something you already know, and that it's insanely expensive if you don't have insurance?

Seems valid to me

Bixington posted:

A lot of Scorpion helmets come with some proprietary no-fogging visors. When I got mine I was expecting it to be pure bullshit, but I've not seen it fog in nearly 100% humidity anywhere from 40-100 degrees F with me huffing at it.
YES, this is the reason I got my EXO700 4-5 years ago. The two helmets that fit me in the store were a $500 Arai, and the $200 Scorpion, but the Arai fogged up if I looked at it funny, and the Scorpion wouldn't fog no matter what.

I've used it regularly and just this last winter the anti-fog coating started to not work so well. I just bought a new everclear clear visor and am looking forward to more years of fog-free riding :)

Ben Murphy
Sep 9, 2001

I like him in spite of the fact that he's not me.

JP Money posted:

Not to be a jerk but you may want to consider lowering the helmet price a tad as new versions can be had for ~60.

No worries, I appreciate the advice.

The price on these have dropped dramatically since I purchased this one. In fact, if you look closely you can see on the visor sticker what I originally paid for it. :argh:

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Dunno if this was already posted but here are some good saddlebags marked down to 40 bucks on bike bandit. Git Git Git!

http://www.bikebandit.com/fieldsheer-compact-motorcycle-saddlebags

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Dunno if this was already posted but here are some good saddlebags marked down to 40 bucks on bike bandit. Git Git Git!

Thanks! I'm skeptical that these are gonna clear the rear turn signals of my SV650 since I did the fender eliminator but we'll see.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
As soon to be part of the non-fat crew... I really need to buy some new gear. Current stuff is about 2-3 seasons old and HUGE.

What is some good leather that would travel well but also be good for a track day or two?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Excellent! I just came in here to post how my Saddleman bags failed today and I needed some new ones. At $40, I don't care if these are kinda crappy.

I hit a bit of a dip today and the rear buckle shattered, my full bag fell and snapped off the clip on the undertail, so only the front strap was holding the bag to the bike. I rode about 9 miles at around 45mph before I noticed. The bag that fell is shot. Hole worn in the front, zipper worn away towards the back. I tied the straps back together and rode home without the bags falling apart, which is good, but having the buckles shatter on such a low-energy event is kinda sucky.

I've had these bags for a couple of months now, and the waterproofing has faded, and one of the zipper pulls broke a week back.

[panic]
Aug 16, 2000

bounce bounce bounce

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Thank you so much for posting these, bought them last night. They are up to about $100 today; I wonder if it was some sort of temporary price mistake? My order was confirmed but hasn't shipped yet so I guess we will see...

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

These fieldsheer bags are on sale today. Anyone have any thoughts on them? I'm looking for a good deal on some saddlebags for my Kawi 650r

http://www.bikebandit.com/fieldsheer-contour-motorcycle-saddlebags

edit:

Also, this seems to be a good deal, thoughts?

http://www.bikebandit.com/firstgear-mesh-tex-2-0-pants

Korwen fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 28, 2011

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

ReidRansom posted:

Can anyone point me to a helmet along the lines of a Davida Classic that is DOT approved and not a beach ball? I picked up this cheapo HCI Retro 50 that I thought might work out, but I look like Toad with this thing on. It's massive.

I currently use a Z1R Jimmy but it's wearing out. Thinking about replacing it with a Bell Classic 500.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Korwen posted:

These fieldsheer bags are on sale today. Anyone have any thoughts on them? I'm looking for a good deal on some saddlebags for my Kawi 650r

http://www.bikebandit.com/fieldsheer-contour-motorcycle-saddlebags

edit:

Also, this seems to be a good deal, thoughts?

http://www.bikebandit.com/firstgear-mesh-tex-2-0-pants

I have those bags, they work fine. I haven't used them too much but then again I haven't really traveled in the year I've had them. Installation can be kinda weird depending on the bike but they're versatile as well so you can usually figure something out.

Lord Fizzlebottom
May 3, 2005

I will show you wonderful, terrible things
I am having an difficult time finding shops around here that carry the Tourmaster stuff that I want to try on. I've been looking at the Coaster Air II jacket, but everyone is out. I also expect I may run into difficulty fitting a jacket because of my build. I'm quite thin, but 5'10" with long arms. I tried a Scorpion textile jacket in both medium and small. The small fit the best, but still had some wiggle room around my stomach. The armor sat well and didn't move around in excess at all.

I'm leaning towards leather gear because of how people claim it is more protective. But I'm also in Seattle where it rains plenty. Suppose I'll just have to get some rain gear as well.

Any suggestions on my predicament? I may just order the jacket online according to sizing charts that I've seen. Would this be a huge mistake?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

ReidRansom posted:

What's wrong with the Davida Jet? I have one for riding the Bantam and it's about as small a shell size as you can get for an approved lid. Lush-as too, the leatherwork is exquisite.

Edit: In other news Altberg have made their first new moto boot in years, The Roadrunner

Looks ace, and knowing Altberg boots it will be built like a tank.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Aug 4, 2011

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

ReelBigLizard posted:

What's wrong with the Davida Jet? I have one for riding the Bantam and it's about as small a shell size as you can get for an approved lid. Lush-as too, the leatherwork is exquisite.

Edit: In other news Altberg have made their first new moto boot in years, The Roadrunner

Looks ace, and knowing Altberg boots it will be built like a tank.

Nice. I need a decent pair of boots. Once my bike is on the road I might have to take a ride up there and see if I can get a pair.

I assume they have some sort of showroom so I can find a proper size?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Backov posted:

I assume they have some sort of showroom so I can find a proper size?

Yeah they have a shop, I intend to make a visit next time I am up north. Real boots made by men int'overalls, yes. Size wise they are, as you would expect, accurate. I'm a size 9 and their 9s are spot on. Got a pair of their field boots on order right now, might have to get a pair of these t- ...hang on, I just heard my wallet yelp.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I messed up the zipper on my alpinestar SMX-4's a few months ago. Zipper separated while zipped then I forced it, made it worse and finally the zip thing let go of one side. I've tried a few times to put everything back together with no luck.

Do I need to find someone who works specifically on motorcycle gear or should this be a pretty easy fix? I've got other boots but I liked those ones.

The Saboteur
Dec 25, 2005
My good friend Fink bought me this account for Christmas because he kicks ass.
I've tried reading through this thread to get some suggestions about a leather jacket but I can't find something that fits my bill.

If someone wants to help me...I'm looking for a leather riding jacket, all black, no emblems and as minimalist as possible. Something clean looking that will keep me safe.

Does anyone have any specific suggestions? Thank you.

[EDIT]

I should also clarify a little bit more what I'm looking for. I ride a cafe racer inspired style bike, and everything I own is matte black. If there is a subdued or matte black leather jacket that is pretty simple or would go well with a cruiser style bike, that would be great.

The Saboteur fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
Anyone find alpinestars glove sizing weird? I definitely don't have ham hands, but I noticed on alpinestars gloves the medium fits my fingers and hand perfectly, but the wrist opening is way too narrow (just on the right side too..strange). I went a size up and got some SP-1's last year, but they can still be a pain in the rear end to get on and off when your hand is sweaty. Recently, I went to cycle gear and tried on other alpinestars gloves and the sizing is all over the place, very inconsistent. I don't think I'll be buying any more gloves from them.

I ended up getting some vented Spidi RV Coupe gloves earlier this summer and they were spot on as far as sizing goes. I'd never really considered the brand before, but the reviews looked pretty good. The leather also seems to be of better quality than the alpinestars.