Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So does no one really make a wireless "gaming" keyboard? I refuse to believe Razer can make a wireless masterpiece like the Mamba for a mouse, and not have a follow up for a keyboard. Is a keyboard really all that more demanding than a mouse? My 7 year old wireless, non-gaming keyboard has never made me want to throw it into a wall because it lagged.

Any suggestions? Other than "get a wired keyboard?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

There's no technical reason you can't have a wireless mechanical keyboard. The Matias Laptop Pro and KBTalKing Pro are the two I know off the top of my head, and at least one person has hacked together a wireless buckling spring keyboard. It's probably just that they think there's more demand for scrolling RGB backlights than wireless at the moment.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Internet Friend posted:

It's probably just that they think there's more demand for scrolling RGB backlights than wireless at the moment.

The lack of scrolling RGB backlighting is the only reason I haven't bought a mechanical keyboard yet. :colbert:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

So does no one really make a wireless "gaming" keyboard? I refuse to believe Razer can make a wireless masterpiece like the Mamba for a mouse, and not have a follow up for a keyboard. Is a keyboard really all that more demanding than a mouse? My 7 year old wireless, non-gaming keyboard has never made me want to throw it into a wall because it lagged.

Any suggestions? Other than "get a wired keyboard?"

The lag isn't really an issue, but that won't stop people from thinking it is. There are plenty of people who discredit anything promoted as "gaming" if it's wireless.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Is there anything preventing a bluetooth keyboard from having n-key rollover? What about those little USB wireless nano recievers all the non-bluetooth wireless peripherals seem to be using these days? If there are issues with wireless protocols that limit the number of simultaneous keystrokes, that may be why no one is marketing their wireless keyboards as suitable for gaming.

In addition to the models mentioned above, Filco makes a bluetooth version of their Minila 60% keyboard, but it seems to cost about $150 most places.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Mechanical keyboards: heavy, thick, need a desk.
Wireless keyboards: light, slim, use anywhere.
The only thing keeping the two apart is the almost complete lack of overlap or market.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Or you know, people who want to move their keyboards around on their desk as they work/game.

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp
I have one of each, does that make me a heathen?

Granted, they're plugged (in a sense) into different machines but

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Just got my code to replace my nearly 20 year old split spacebar compaq keyboard. It's a little stiffer than the rubber dome keys, but not excessively so. I tend to type really heavy so it works fine. Holding keys down isn't an issue, the contact point is at the bottom of the bump, so you can rest a lot of the weight on that. I think some thin spacers would make it perfect.

It's going to take some getting used to not having a backspace by my left thumb.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

oxbrain posted:

Just got my code to replace my nearly 20 year old split spacebar compaq keyboard. It's a little stiffer than the rubber dome keys, but not excessively so. I tend to type really heavy so it works fine. Holding keys down isn't an issue, the contact point is at the bottom of the bump, so you can rest a lot of the weight on that. I think some thin spacers would make it perfect.

It's going to take some getting used to not having a backspace by my left thumb.

I just had an idea for a spacebar, which as far as I know hasn't been done - capacitive touch sensor on the whole surface, and software that allows you to define areas.

It would work just like the mouse apple shipped with the capacitive top, you still push the whole surface to engage, but where your thumb is at the time will determine the action.

That way, you don't like split spacebars? Ignore the settings! Like them? Set the side you like to the desired action!

You could do all kinds of poo poo with this, honestly, for example: swipe left to right to increase sound volume, have both thumbs on when you press space for an extra action, etc. It's basically having that whole bar as a gesture area as well as a simple switch.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 29, 2014

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

HalloKitty posted:

I just had an idea for a spacebar, which as far as I know hasn't been done - capacitive touch sensor on the whole surface, and software that allows you to define areas.

It would work just like the mouse apple shipped with the capacitive top, you still push the whole surface to engage, but where your thumb is at the time will determine the action.

That way, you don't like split spacebars? Ignore the settings! Like them? Set the side you like to the desired action!

You could do all kinds of poo poo with this, honestly, for example: swipe left to right to increase sound volume, have both thumbs on when you press space for an extra action, etc. It's basically having that whole bar as a gesture area as well as a simple switch.

Because mechanical keyboards aren't expensive enough...

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The Filco MiniLa has a shortened space bar, with the two ends turned into function keys. It looks weird as hell when you first see it, but I love it now. Having the function keys right at your thumbs, together with an actually useful function layer, makes it probably the best 60% keyboard out there.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I like it. I love the bad reviewer more.

" It makes horrible clicking noises when you type."

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

CODE (with Clears) report:

The cable routing system is really well-thought out, and the detachable cable will make traveling with this thing much less of a pain. I'm a bit worried about the longevity of the microUSB jack, but I suppose it makes sense to use a cable that any smartphone owner has about ten of laying around.

The backlighting is gorgeous and can get crazy bright, but the lowest setting is nice and easy on the eyes.

The num/caps/scroll lock LEDs are far less obnoxious than the blue ones on the WASD v1.

Clears are definitely quite a bit stiffer than Browns (even more so than I expected), but even after a year on Browns I was still regularly bottoming out, so I think I'll end up liking these better once I adapt. I'm having vague memories of my Apple Extended II Keyboard.

The DIP switches to change layout, map Caps to Ctrl, and map Menu to Fn are a nice touch. No more dicking around in system settings to get rid of Caps!

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
If I were to import a CODE to the UK how much trouble would I have getting it to a UK layout? I'm not clear on the differences other than " and @ being switched, but I could change that in Windows couldn't I? I know I couldn't just switch the keycaps as they're on different rows but does anyone know if I'd be able to get some the same font etc?

I really want that keyboard. Although I'd settle for any UK layout with clears I think, I'm not that fussed about back lighting.

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

If you're doing at least some coding I really recommend learning the US layout as most programming languages are optimized for it. Also, at least on Nordic keyboards the layout will be completely different between PC and Mac 'boards, making it a pain to switch.

The shorter but wider enter key can be hard to get used to, but I find it and the longer left shift far superior, the latter especially for gaming.

Klyith posted:

Mechanical keyboards: heavy, thick, need a desk.
Wireless keyboards: light, slim, use anywhere.
The only thing keeping the two apart is the almost complete lack of overlap or market.

This is true, though as an owner an Arduino-enabled (and quite portable) HHKB I've been looking for some kind of off the shelf bluetooth adapter that can also supply power through USB. Looks like it's going to have to be a home built solution though.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Electrophotonic posted:

If you're doing at least some coding I really recommend learning the US layout as most programming languages are optimized for it.

I'm struggling to think of one programming character that's better placed on a US keyboard.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I'm not sure I'm buying the concept that any language would be optimised around a keyboard layout. If this were the case, wouldn't every C-style language use a character that doesn't require the use of the shift key instead of braces?

That said, yes, if I get a CODE it will be for work so will be used primarily for programming. I'm not even 100% clear on the difference between a UK/US layout, so maybe I could work with it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

chippy posted:

I'm not even 100% clear on the difference between a UK/US layout, so maybe I could work with it.
ANSI (US)
ISO (UK)
As you can see, it's not just a question of moving the keys around. Some of them have different characters on the normal / shift positions. I think a programmer is the person that would be most annoyed by the difference since they're the ones that use unusual symbols the most.

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

Betjeman posted:

I'm struggling to think of one programming character that's better placed on a US keyboard.

Yeah nvm I should have done my research. The UK ISO is a lot closer to the US ANSI than the terrible nordic ISO. That semicolon!

So apart from the different enter and shift key size there doesn't seem to be much of a difference at all, as the biggest change for a programmer seems to pretty much be the backslash and quotation marks (and the former can be changed in software by just changing keyboard layout in the OS). If you really want the CODE then go for it! Clears are my favourite Cherry switch and the only one that consistently keep me from bottoming out, as they have much higher resistance near the bottom than other switches (where, you know, it actually makes sense to have it).

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp
I learned to type on a Swedish keyboard, and continued using Swedish keyboards until I turned 20. Then I was forced to use a US keyboard for an extended period, and I found that after getting used to it, I enjoyed it a lot more. Plus, typing umlauts and other accents in OS X is very, very easy, so I made the switch and haven't looked back since.

Which was convenient, considering most "good" keyboards are ANSI

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
I recently bought one of the Logitech solar keyboards and it feels good, man.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Any thoughts on this keyboard? Steelseries 6Gv2 with MX Red switches

Reds and a $40 discount is really attractive.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Any thoughts on this keyboard? Steelseries 6Gv2 with MX Red switches

Reds and a $40 discount is really attractive.

It looks like a Costar manufactured keyboard so it's probably going to be similar to the CM Storm Quickfires (some at least) and Filcos, in which case it will be a good keyboard. I'm not sure about regular Canadian pricing but it's about the same price in USD right now, so that doesn't feel like much of a sale, but it's still a good price for a Costar full keyboard.

edit: the only detractor is the bigass enter key, but if you like that the keyboard will be good.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Also the left win key on Steelseries boards is the function key, with no option to change to a windows key. Again may not be a bad thing depending on what you like.

That enter key though, drat. I guess the last guy in the world who likes a fat return is in charge at steelseries.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Klyith posted:

Also the left win key on Steelseries boards is the function key, with no option to change to a windows key. Again may not be a bad thing depending on what you like.

Ah gently caress, that kills it for me then. I use the left win key all the goddamn time

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

HTML5 posted:

I recently bought one of the Logitech solar keyboards and it feels good, man.

That's what my work keyboard is that I'm thinking of replacing. It's actually not bad, I prefer it to a rubber dome, but I don't like the really short throw on the switches, even if I try and type quite lightly I feel like I'm hammering my fingertips all the time. Bringing my Filco in to work a few times sealed its fate, but I got tired of lugging it to and from work. Hence my considering getting a CODE Also, I figured the CODE with Clears might be a tiny bit quieter than the Browns in my Filco. Having said that, two of the directors smash away at MX Blues so I'm unlikely to make more noise than them either way.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Dear Corsair,

What the gently caress is wrong with you people putting 4 goddamn surface mount LEDs in a k70 in contrast to the other 107 normal ones on the rest of the board?

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Just got my code clear and im loving it. Close competition for my topre board in terms of favorites switch. The back-light is also nice even thought I don't really care much about having one.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Anybody with a Leopold FC660C would be interested in a HHKB Pro 2 in black?

Both keyboards in like new condition of course.

Open to other trades.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Olivil posted:

Open to other trades.

Don't have a FC660C, but do have a white Leopold tenkeyless with blue switches. Naturally I would toss in some cash.

Is it black, or "dark grey"?

https://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=pfu_keyboards,hhkbpro2&pid=pdkb400b

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

It is dark grey (and printed), exactly the one you linked.
I'd prefer a black keyboard as all my stuff is black :/ thanks though!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Olivil posted:

Open to other trades.

Not sure I want to trade away my arrow keys.

Interest in an 86ub Realforce?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Olivil posted:

Open to other trades.

Just curious, why are you trading away the HHKB? Want the few extra keys the FC660C provides?

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
I replaced the MX reds and red leds on my Corsair K70 with MX clears and white leds.

Here is an album on me voiding my warranty.

http://imgur.com/a/OFDp1

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp
It's remarkable how tasteful just plain white can be. Very nice.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

22 screws, goddamn. There are no pressure clips though, I take it? Even with the right tools for them, I freaking hate pressure clips.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

Not sure I want to trade away my arrow keys.

Interest in an 86ub Realforce?

I'd be interested, fixed weight or variable?

DarkJC posted:

Just curious, why are you trading away the HHKB? Want the few extra keys the FC660C provides?

I've always felt the layout was more appropriate for UNIX-likes, and I'm moving from OS X to Windows.

Also, change.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Olivil posted:

I'd be interested, fixed weight or variable?

I've always felt the layout was more appropriate for UNIX-likes, and I'm moving from OS X to Windows.

Also, change.

UB = unbalanced if I'm not mistaken; in either case, they are variable weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Nondescript Van posted:

I replaced the MX reds and red leds on my Corsair K70 with MX clears and white leds.

Here is an album on me voiding my warranty.

http://imgur.com/a/OFDp1

That is beautiful.

• Locked thread