Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

:3: That's adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

I know this is from a few pages ago, but the kid and I were at YAM again and I got you some pictures of their KC135. I tried to keep Captain Katya out of the pictures, but she was intent on her pre-flight checks.

Awesome :3: I must say I can't wait to take my oldest for her first ride in one of our sims... I mean, she's almost two!

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
When I was probably 8 or 9 I got to fly left seat in the KC-135 simulator at March ARB in California. Was my first experience with an aircraft, and it had me hooked!

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

One of her very first words was airplane. Her middle name is Lydia, named for Lydia Litvyak. I couldn't be more proud that she seems to like airplanes as much as daddy :3: We're heading to DC in a couple of months, so it'll be the Daddy and Katya show on location at the Air and Space Museum and the Annex at Dulles. When she's a little older I want to get her out to Wright-Patterson and the Kalamazoo Air Zoo, which owns. Right now running around at Yankee Air Museum and climbing on the displays is more her speed, more so than the quiet contemplation required at Wright-Pat.

If you think that's cute, here's more.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Saga posted:

Russian "Superjets" fly wherever they C FIT, mister!

Too soon?

:(

I'm dying here...

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

I posted this picture from flight school in the A/T Aviation thread. I had to reshare it; PiperSports are too drat sexy.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

joat mon posted:

Link to larger source? This would make for an outstanding desktop picture.

Aaron A Aardvark
Oct 31, 2010
Can't see if this has been posted already but just spotted this story on the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18038650

A WWII RAF P40 found somewhere in the Egyptian desert where it looks to have remained mostly intact and untouched since it crashed 70 years ago. No trace of the pilot but the article does mention they are planning a search for the remains.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Arishtat posted:

Link to larger source? This would make for an outstanding desktop picture.

http://www.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/uploads/tdomf/222321/o96360.jpg

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Aaron A Aardvark posted:

Can't see if this has been posted already but just spotted this story on the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18038650

A WWII RAF P40 found somewhere in the Egyptian desert where it looks to have remained mostly intact and untouched since it crashed 70 years ago. No trace of the pilot but the article does mention they are planning a search for the remains.

drat, was just gonna post the CNN article on this, have an image of it instead.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

VikingSkull posted:

Those darn tuskegee raiders already gutted it.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

dayman posted:

tuskegee raiders
These guys would like to have a word with you :colbert:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

grover posted:

:golfclap:

Hopefully we can repatriate it and restore it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

VikingSkull posted:

That thing looks like it crashed on the surface of mars.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

I know this is from a few pages ago, but the kid and I were at YAM again and I got you some pictures of their KC135. I tried to keep Captain Katya out of the pictures, but she was intent on her pre-flight checks.

Oh yea that is a really old model! Kinda want that yoke mounted in my living room.

Re: liking airplanes as a child -- I had a big picture book of all the USAF planes in inventory that was my absolute favorite thing to flip through as a kid. Even way back when I'd skip the AWACS pages thinking to myself, "What a stupid looking jet!" Karma is a bitch.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

slidebite posted:

Maybe it did :tinfoil:

Either that or it's a sequal to Corncob3D with a Warhawk instead of a Corsair.

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

slidebite posted:

Might as well have been, for the fate of the pilot. :(

200 miles from nearest civilization. Honestly can't think of many worse fates than dying of exposure in that hellhole.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Yours for only 200 grand :catstare:

quote:

Operating in fresh- or saltwater and up to 30% inclines over sand, mud, grass, swamp, desert, ice, and snow, its wings and horizontal elevator enable pilots to simply hop over water- or land-based obstacles up to 20'-high unsurmountable to a typical hovercraft. A joystick controls three vertical rudders and the elevator, a twist friction-lock throttle controls forward speed, and a variable drive system controls the lift fan for hovering. Braking is provided by lowering the lift fan's rpms; comes to rest on Kevlar composite landing skids. Its low center of gravity and composite fiberglass/PVC hull enable it to operate in winds up to 25 mph and waves up to 6' when in flight. Two nine-gallon gasoline tanks provide a 160-mile range. Supports pilot/passenger payloads up to 600 lbs. for flight.
http://www.geekologie.com/2012/05/personal-flying-hovercraft-attacks-land.php

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

The thing I've always wondered about ground effect vehicles is, what happens when you fly off a bluff?

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
:catstare: That doesn't look dangerous at all

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Wicaeed posted:

Only to US Navy carrier battle groups, if you believe the Iranians.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

grover posted:

thatsthejoke.jpg

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Aeronautics includes aerospace, right?

This just landed in the Trek thread, and I had to share. You may laugh, but they want to spend 500 billion less than the F-35 project.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It doesn't really need to be shaped like that...What's going on in the warp nacelles?

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
uhhh the warp drive poo poo dude.

how else are they going to get to mars in 90 days?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Wicaeed posted:

Say what you will, but strap a helmet, goggles, oxygen tank, and lifejacket to me and I would hoon around in that all day.

You know, if someone else is paying for it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Preoptopus posted:

I would fly around in this all day, making Thunderbirds noises.

Thunderbird 4, commence speaking in incomplete sentences!

Speaking in incomplete sentences Sir!

Activate hover thing!

Hover thing activated!

Commence :catstare: actions!

:catstare: activated!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I've realized Die Hard 2 is forever ruined to me because the movie entirely dismisses the fact that modern airliners are equipped with a radar altimeter and the practice of setting a decision height on approach.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

HeyEng posted:

I've realized Die Hard 2 is forever ruined to me because the movie entirely dismisses the fact that modern airliners are equipped with a radar altimeter and the practice of setting a decision height on approach.

Yep. And I think most Airliners also carry GCAS (Ground Collision Avoidance System) which, in conjunction with Radar Altimeter's would keep you from hitting the ground. And GPWS (Ground Proximity Warning System)

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 13, 2012

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
This is only a problem for a small demographic, really. I understand that 99% of movie-goers will buy off on that hook, line, and sinker but for those in the know it really does kill the movie.

Just saw Avengers too and I got really irked by what looked to the be the autopilot control unit on the front panel in the weird jet/vertiplane thing never changing. That and Iron Man loving up the turbine blades of the engine that he was repairing. There is no way that engine would provide any meaningful thrust with the blades completely out of balance.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

HeyEng posted:

This is only a problem for a small demographic, really. I understand that 99% of movie-goers will buy off on that hook, line, and sinker but for those in the know it really does kill the movie.

Indeed, there is no way Tony 'International Drunkard' Stark hadn't eaten a Schawarma before.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Slo-Tek posted:

Indeed, there is no way Tony 'International Drunkard' Stark hadn't eaten a Schawarma before.

I know them as gyros. They were the best thing to eat post-drinking which is even more shocking that Stark mentioning that he has never had one.

This is an odd derail for this thread.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Slo-Tek posted:

Yeah, to be honest, this bothered me more than any technical issues. Because, seriously, you're gonna whine about turbine science when there's a flying aircraft carrier with two demi-gods, a mutant ultra-beast, and man from WWII on board?

I did really like how they obviously had movie-prop shells of Harriers and some other trainer sitting around everywhere, but when it came time for actual flights, they just threw in CGI F-35s out of nowhere.

But yeah, I love the idea of a big stealth insane aircraft carrier airship for the purpose of transporting around some antiquated Harriers.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Drunken midwestern college students who have never been more than 50 miles from bumfuck middle of nowhere Iowa know what that poo poo is, so yeah.

mlmp08 posted:

But yeah, I love the idea of a big stealth insane aircraft carrier airship for the purpose of transporting around some antiquated Harriers.

Would be even funnier if they were -A models with the cute little pointy noises.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mlmp08 posted:

I'm sure SHIELD is having budget issues in this tough economy.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah, to be honest, this bothered me more than any technical issues. Because, seriously, you're gonna whine about turbine science when there's a flying aircraft carrier with two demi-gods, a mutant ultra-beast, and man from WWII on board?

I did really like how they obviously had movie-prop shells of Harriers and some other trainer sitting around everywhere, but when it came time for actual flights, they just threw in CGI F-35s out of nowhere.

Read something this week that the DoD didn't support this movie with assets because they couldn't discerns SHIELD's chain of command and if the organization belonged to the US or was some sort of international mishmash of dudes.

And yea, the turbine thing bothered me. Not in the movie ruining sort of way but as a guy who knows a lot about airplanes there's all sorts of things that irk me. I'm good enough to know, "Meh. Movie magic." and let it go. I've given up on figuring out just exactly takes out the 737 in The Grey. Such a weird sequence of poo poo breaking in that. We talked about that scene at work for a bit. No one could make heads or tails out of it other than the obvious (and oddly demonstrated) loss of pressure, electrical, and possible hypoxia of the flight crew. It makes for fun discussion though.

Back to Avengers airplane talk--what the hell was the other jet on the flight deck? It had a pointy nose. Looked like an L-39.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

HeyEng posted:

Back to Avengers airplane talk--what the hell was the other jet on the flight deck? It had a pointy nose. Looked like an L-39.

Pretty sure it was an Alphajet. Wikipedia agrees:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dassault/Dornier_Alpha_Jet

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

pbpancho posted:

Pretty sure it was an Alphajet. Wikipedia agrees:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dassault/Dornier_Alpha_Jet

Since it also featured an Alphajet, and because this video should be posted in the thread at least once every 6 months:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEe3xfWfkG8

e: the 0:49-0:53 section is still my favorite.

e2: Check out this best of GoPro video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_owZzIAfQAE

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 10:11 on May 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

iyaayas01 posted:

Since it also featured an Alphajet, and because this video should be posted in the thread at least once every 6 months:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEe3xfWfkG8

e: the 0:49-0:53 section is still my favorite.

e2: Check out this best of GoPro video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_owZzIAfQAE

Bah. Wish i'd joined the RAF.