Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

ICHIBAHN posted:

so, balance tips / techniques?

1-leg stiff-leg deadlifts, twisting lunges, single leg squats, bulgarian split squats, hindu squats, cossack squats, russian twists, side planks, farmer's walks

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

ICHIBAHN posted:

In addition to the yoga and leg stuff already mentioned, balancing on your knees on those exercise balls is good. You can mix it up getting up on one knee and spinning around etc

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

ICHIBAHN posted:

do yoga

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yoga is also great for flexibility, breathing, and focus.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Yoga is tedious and unfulfilling.

There. I said it.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Namaste

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
When I feel like twisting myself into pretzel I just roll with a brown or black belt and let them do it for me.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Mechafunkzilla posted:

If you travel somewhere and think everyone there is an rear end in a top hat...it's probably you who's an rear end in a top hat.

I fully accept this scenario if everyone in the equation is an rear end in a top hat.

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j7PHBWmk6s

Everyone be sure to root for Good Guy Cormier this weekend.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Xguard86 posted:

Yoga is tedious and unfulfilling.

There. I said it.

Yoga is fulfilling because you can meet cool people there who turn out to be awful girlfriends.

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

1st AD posted:

Yoga is fulfilling because you can meet cool people there who turn out to be awful girlfriends.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

JHomer722 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j7PHBWmk6s

Everyone be sure to root for Good Guy Cormier this weekend.

AJ all the way. I'm sorry.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

ICHIBAHN posted:

Get a balance board, use it a lot.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

TwistedNails posted:

Get a balance board, use it a lot.

I googled balance board and realized this thing that I thought I was being all MacGuyver by using for balance exercises, is actually called a balance trainer :downs:
http://www.amazon.com/Bosu-72-10850...32301711&sr=1-2 (its kind of like a training wheels version of doing stuff on the balance balls I was talking about)

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Kekekela posted:

I googled balance board and realized this thing that I thought I was being all MacGuyver by using for balance exercises, is actually called a balance trainer :downs:
http://www.amazon.com/Bosu-72-10850...32301711&sr=1-2 (its kind of like a training wheels version of doing stuff on the balance balls I was talking about)

Bosu balls are good, I personally like the ones that are like a skateboard. In highschool we would use the shrug bar with 45 plates on the sides to balance on, that worked out great too.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
So while my knee is on ice I decided to study up and broaden my understanding of the newschool nogi stuff, and I'm finally to a point where I can follow the action fairly competently, even in the fast paced lightweight matches. You'd think this new perspective would give me more confidence for my eventual return to BJJ, but it's actually turned out the opposite: It seems to me that all the most successful guys my weight (~155) rely heavily on their incredibly strong, flexible knees and ankles, often to the point of apparently ignoring opponent anklelock/toehold attempts while progressing through a leg drag to back routine or whatever, and I just can't imagine my own legs ever holding up to that kind of strain. With a history of ankle breaks and sprains, and now the knee trouble on top of it, I'm starting to feel like the gameplan for guys my size is heading down a path that I can't follow, and that's been a sort of discouraging realization. What do you guys think, am I just over-analyzing or is this a valid concern?

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
You're massively overthinking it, just because the top level competitors will threaten leglocks doesn't mean you shouldn't keep training. Even if your training partners all happen to be huge leglock guys, unless they are complete dickheads they will understand not to crank hard in the gym, especially on the guy with known knee/ankle injuries.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

A Wry Smile posted:

So while my knee is on ice I decided to study up and broaden my understanding of the newschool nogi stuff, and I'm finally to a point where I can follow the action fairly competently, even in the fast paced lightweight matches. You'd think this new perspective would give me more confidence for my eventual return to BJJ, but it's actually turned out the opposite: It seems to me that all the most successful guys my weight (~155) rely heavily on their incredibly strong, flexible knees and ankles, often to the point of apparently ignoring opponent anklelock/toehold attempts while progressing through a leg drag to back routine or whatever, and I just can't imagine my own legs ever holding up to that kind of strain. With a history of ankle breaks and sprains, and now the knee trouble on top of it, I'm starting to feel like the gameplan for guys my size is heading down a path that I can't follow, and that's been a sort of discouraging realization. What do you guys think, am I just over-analyzing or is this a valid concern?

A properly applied lower body submission doesn't give a gently caress how strong or flexible your ankles and knees are. Maybe you'll have less leeway in borderline situations, but the goal should be to not put yourself at risk of a submission, not to develop techniques that allow your opponent to crank a toehold while you work or whatever it is you're talking about.

Also, you're never going to be a world-class competitor (sorry), so I wouldn't be worrying about what those guys look like in competition. Just focus on self-improvement. You don't even have to compete for grappling to be fun and worthwhile.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
You never know it might come back around and Leg locks will fall out of favor. I would just do your thing and not sweat it.

From a self defense perspective it also makes sense to play more classic jiu-jitsu

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Eddie Bravo uploaded the entire footage of his recent invitational tournament here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6gMkha37XA

Included Gary Tonon, Eddie Cummings, Darragh O'Connail, Javier Vasquez and a couple other recognizable names. 16-man single elimination, complete with the wacky but cool OT format where they alternate starting out in back mount.

Here's an index (spoilered since it gives away the winners of most of the matches)

Garry Tonon vs Josh Valles 8:04
Karen Darabedyan vs Joey Hauss: 12:25
Stephen Martinez vs Enrico Cocco: 16:15
Lauri Karppinen vs Eddie Cummings 20:13
Richie Martinez vs Julio Cordova 21:38
Darragh O'Conaill vs Javier Vasquez 26:34
Josh Hinger vs Mike Padilla 44:26
Nathan Orchard vs Matthew Secor 46:52

Kids fight 1:00:57

Garry Tonon vs Karen Darabedyan 1:17:44
Eddie Cummings vs Enrico Cocco 1:34:34
Richie Martinez vs Darragh O'Conaill 1:41:23
Josh Hinger vs Nathan Orchard 1:50:31

Kids fight 2:05:30

Garry Tonon vs Eddie Cummings (epic fight) 2:14:03
Darragh O'Connail vs Josh Hinger 2:23:24

Kids fight 2:36:49

Final fight Garry Tonon vs Josh Hinger 2:41:21

VVV e: oops VVV

colonel_korn fucked around with this message at 08:08 on May 31, 2015

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
the missing fight time from the above spoilered post is at 2:14:00

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i haven't been following closely for the last 18 months; has gary packed on a bunch of muscle or something? he looks significantly more solid than i remember at that lloyd irvin tournament

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I'm assuming he's bulking up for ADCC at 170

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Neurosis posted:

i haven't been following closely for the last 18 months; has gary packed on a bunch of muscle or something? he looks significantly more solid than i remember at that lloyd irvin tournament

a new 5 guys opened in New Brunswick

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
Lots of fun stuff in these Worlds matches!

Female:

Light-Feather: Rikako Yousa (Paraestra Shinagawa) def. Gezary Bandeira (ATT) by advantage (4-3 to 4-2)
Feather: Mackenzie Dern (Gracie Humaita) def. Michelle Nicolini (CheckMat) by two-collar bow & arrow
Light: Bia Mesquita (Gracie Humaita) def. Fabiana Borges (Gracie Barra) by knee-bar
Middle: Luiza Monteiro (Cicero Costha) def. Luanna Moraes (Alliance) by ref's decision (tied 2-1 to 2-1)
Med-Heavy: Ana Laura Cordeiro (Gracie Barra) def. Andresa Correa (Alliance) by points (4-1 to 0)
Heavy: Dominyka Obelanyte (Alliance) def. Vanessa Oliveira (GF Team) by rear-naked choke
Super-Heavy: Fernanda Mezalli Almeida (Striker JJ) def. Alison Tremblay (BTT)
Absolute: Dominyka Obelanyte (Alliance) def. Monique Elisa (Alliance) by points (6-1 to 2)

Male:

Rooster: Bruno Malfacine (Alliance) def. Joao Miyao (Cicero Costha) by advantage (8-2 to 8-1). Somewhat controversial. Finished 8-2 to 8-2 with Miyao having an advantage retracted after the match ended.
Light-Feather: Paulo Miyao (Cicero Costha) def. Daniel Beleza (SAS Team USA) by bow & arrow
Feather: Rafa Mendes (Atos) def. Cobrinha (Alliance) by points (6 to 0)
Light: Michael Langhi close-out with Lucas Lepri (Alliance)
Middle: Claudio Calasans (Atos) def. Vitor Oliveira (GF Team) by points (8-2-2 to 4-1-3)
Med-Heavy: Leandro Lo (Cicero Costha) def. Tarsis Carvalho Humphreys (Alliance) by points (8-1 to 0)
Heavy: Xande Ribeiro (Ribeiro JJ) def. Lucas Leite (CheckMat) by points (4-1 to 2-3)
Super-Heavy: Bernardo Faria (Alliance) def. Joao Rocha (Soul Fighters BJJ) by points (8 to 2-2)
Ultra-Heavy: Gabriel Lucas (CheckMat) def. Ricardo Evangelista (GF Team) by advantage (0-3-2 to 0-2-2)
Absolute: Bernardo Faria (Alliance) def. Alexander Trans (UAE Jiu-Jitsu) by withdrawal (knee injury)

Double Gold for Dominyka Obelanyte (first year at black belt) and Bernardo Faria, both training out of Marcelo Garcia's Academy in NYC.

I didn't like how Miyao lost to Malfacine at rooster, seemed like the judges were opposed to his overall strategy and chose to discount his superior effort. Impressive to see Mendes shutting Cobrinha down so completely. Enjoyed Dern's victory cheer.

A Wry Smile fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 1, 2015

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Nice, thanks for the heads up. Bunch of matches with commentary here, guess I know what I'm doing this morning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCnFiBigPYhIWysoLoISWYHA

e: I am this happy right now:

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jun 1, 2015

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The Dern-Nicolini match owned bones. I was there on Sunday and that was my favorite match of the day by far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TShyfpaa1RA

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 1, 2015

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Do you guys train with any terrifying mutant freaks? I have this small skinny guy in my gym who can rotate his shoulders, ankles and wrists out of any submission that isn't completely perfect. They just rotate way too far. The arteries in his neck seem to be buried deeper than the norm: when he isn't resisting, you can apply an absurd amount of force to a choke before it starts to take effect. On top of this, he's got really skinny limbs so he can slide out of stuff. Recently, he's started to develop that kind of Marcelo Garcia style bullshit-skinny-guy strength. I can't decide if he's a useful training partner or not, he's an absurd statistical outlier, a blight on the human race sent by the devil to test me.

Also, I found this place through tumblr. They sell the worst rashguard in the world, and some of the stupidest gi patches ever made. I'm definitely ordering a couple.
http://pricetapes.storenvy.com/

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Do you guys train with any terrifying mutant freaks? I have this small skinny guy in my gym who can rotate his shoulders, ankles and wrists out of any submission that isn't completely perfect. They just rotate way too far. The arteries in his neck seem to be buried deeper than the norm: when he isn't resisting, you can apply an absurd amount of force to a choke before it starts to take effect. On top of this, he's got really skinny limbs so he can slide out of stuff. Recently, he's started to develop that kind of Marcelo Garcia style bullshit-skinny-guy strength. I can't decide if he's a useful training partner or not, he's an absurd statistical outlier, a blight on the human race sent by the devil to test me.

Also, I found this place through tumblr. They sell the worst rashguard in the world, and some of the stupidest gi patches ever made. I'm definitely ordering a couple.

There's a Kazakh former national sambo champion at my club who's like 6'6", and sparring with him makes me feel like a literal toddler. During stand up I'm basically at eye level with his crotch.

In other news, I'm now a certified referee for freestyle sambo :toot:

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 2, 2015

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
surely it's good to train with someone like thlast. focuses your technique. not so good to compete against

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

i want that cheesy rashguard.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Do you guys train with any terrifying mutant freaks?

Not in BJJ, but when I was doing aikido there was a very skinny, flexible guy who somehow felt no pain from joint locks of any kind. He would eventually tap when the pressure got so high that he was afraid a bone might break. Very strange.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Oh my god these are amazing

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Doesn't Aoki wear grappling pants with that pattern?

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
does any good co sell pink gis in A3L??

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
well, figured it would happen but still annoyed by it. my Gracie Barra gym is going to be allowing only GB 'uniforms' for training. Hopefully I'll be allowed to sew a patch on two of my non GB gis.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

ICHIBAHN posted:

well, figured it would happen but still annoyed by it. my Gracie Barra gym is going to be allowing only GB 'uniforms' for training. Hopefully I'll be allowed to sew a patch on two of my non GB gis.

Gracie Barra is such a joke.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
nah

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Do you have to drink Gracie Barra Super Coconut Water before every practice too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
You have to shower in acai