Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

So Dancer's Lament is out in the UK? Looking forward to a trip report to see where it fits on the ICE quality scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I dived straight into Memories of Ice. I'm constantly amazed at how Erikson can make these insane world-shaking badasses into actually compelling characters, while doing the same with the soldiers on the ground.

And holy poo poo, the Bridgeburners stealing back the Deck of Dragons table was the best loving thing. I loved Deadhouse Gates, but goddamn it's good to be getting back to the Bridgeburners.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

cptn_dr posted:

I dived straight into Memories of Ice. I'm constantly amazed at how Erikson can make these insane world-shaking badasses into actually compelling characters, while doing the same with the soldiers on the ground.

And holy poo poo, the Bridgeburners stealing back the Deck of Dragons table was the best loving thing. I loved Deadhouse Gates, but goddamn it's good to be getting back to the Bridgeburners.

There's no turning back; you've bought the ticket, now enjoy the ride.

I'm really looking forward to re-reading DG and MoI for the first time after reading FoD.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
When I first found this thread I was partway through MoI. Since then I think I've watched three or four others posting their impressions as they've gone through the series and I love it.

You're in for a hell of a ride dude, enjoy every page - it's a fantastic series. If you have the time I'd suggest keeping up with Tor's Re-read of the Fallen. Unless you're autistic or something you probably won't catch everything the first run through and they do a good job of noting all the connections and themes. It definitely helped me keep track of all the little pieces of information as you progress through this massively detailed series.

acumen fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Feb 14, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Or you can do a reread and experience the ZING moments as intended.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I'm reading along with Tor, yeah. That plus a spreadsheet is helping me keep track of things.

I will also probably reread it 6 months after I'm done for the first time, let's face it.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Hell, I've read the Tor re-read as well as reading the series on my own 3 times. Every time, I find some neat things I missed before.

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
I'm rereading now and back up to House of Chains.

Karsa is witnessing his way to my heart all over again.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

...are the K'Chain Che'Malle undead dinosaurs? This loving book.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

My reread is through Dust of Dreams. It was a better book the second time around, knowing how the story ends did make me appreciate everything a lot more than I did the first time through. To be honest I think Forge of Darkness made a really big positive impact on Toll the Hounds and Dust of Dreams, both of which had a lot of plot threads that really benefited from the extended background FoD provided. On to TCG and FOD to get ready for Fall of Light.

I'm also really interested in hearing a review of Dancer's Lament.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

cptn_dr posted:

They get even more awesome.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

cptn_dr posted:

[MoI]With swords for arms! :black101:

Did a reread of Forge of Darkness in preparation for Fall of Light a week ago, and there was a ton of stuff I missed the first time around [FoD] like how Dog-Runners (Imass) were named not only because they hunted with the Ay, but also because their ancestors (the Eres) were enslaved by the Deragoth. Also the Bolead dolls/Bole brothers.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

King Crab posted:

I'm rereading now and back up to House of Chains.

Karsa is witnessing his way to my heart all over again.

I'm also in House of Chains. Some stuff: Karsa destroys a statue of Fener while he's on his initial rampage.

I'm also trying to wrap my head around the Silanda/Nascent sequence of events. This is how I see it and I welcome clarification:

1) Rhulad makes a deal with some demons, floods the Nascent with a river from a demon realm

2) The catfish come from that demon river

3) Trull Sengar is dragged to the Nascent, shorn, left to die on the big wall

4) A Malazan fleet (including the SIlanda) runs into a Tiste Edur fleet off the coast of Drift Avalii, during the battle a bunch of ships from both sides fall through a gate into the Nascent

5) Binidas Sengar survives, steals the Silanda, enslaves the crew, has no way out

6) The Faces in the Rock stumble into the Nascent while running away from Onrack and crew

7) The Faces in the Rock need help, yank Karsa and Torvald through a gate

8) Karsa and Torvald find the wrecked Malazan ships, find a crate of Moranth munitions

9) Karsa finds the Silanda, kills Binidas

10) Karsa and Torvald leave with the Slavers through a gate in a crack in the big wall

11) The Moranth munitions wash up on the big wall

12) Onrack frees Trull, finds the munitions, frees the Deragoth, punks out the Liosan, escape from the other T'lan Imass

13) Gesler and Stormy fall in, steal the Silanda, leave in Olar Ethil's wake

Who is the mad mage that caused Gesler and crew to go there? Was the rent caused by Onrack fouling up the T'lan Imass ritual? I know I'm screwing up the timeline because it would seem that the Malazan-Edur sea battle takes place not long before the Drift Avalii stuff in HOC, but I'm trying to figure out where the Moranth munitions came from, and of course there's always the wonky "time works differently in warrens" hand wave (which I'm fine with).

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Forge of Darkness summed up so far: :tviv:

Just got to the first Liosan, fuckin' hell didn't think it would start like that

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
The Watch is one seriously bad rear end son of a bitch. Wonder how he would hold up to the likes or Karsa, Traveler or Anomander.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I finally bought Forge of Darkness (had to stay away from the series for a month or two after mainlining 10 audiobooks). Can't wait to actually read one of these.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

My first read of Memories of Ice is going well. poo poo though, I didn't think things could get more grim and brutal than the end of Deadhouse Gates. Capustan has proven that wrong. To save on future pain, I'm just going to assume that there is always more, and it is always worse.

gently caress this book is so good.
Also, I'd read an entire series about Anomander Rake and Whiskeyjack just hanging out with each other and shooting the breeze.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Mustang posted:

The Watch is one seriously bad rear end son of a bitch. Wonder how he would hold up to the likes or Karsa, Traveler or Anomander.

He's gotta be up there with them, I'll bet he would give Karsa and Traveler a tough fight at the very least, if not Anomander. One of the most overlooked characters of the series imo.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

cptn_dr posted:

My first read of Memories of Ice is going well. poo poo though, I didn't think things could get more grim and brutal than the end of Deadhouse Gates. Capustan has proven that wrong. To save on future pain, I'm just going to assume that there is always more, and it is always worse.

gently caress this book is so good.
Also, I'd read an entire series about Anomander Rake and Whiskeyjack just hanging out with each other and shooting the breeze.

Now imagine how bad it would be if MOI and DG were in the same book, as they happen pretty much simultaneously. :v:

The Ninth Layer posted:

He's gotta be up there with them, I'll bet he would give Karsa and Traveler a tough fight at the very least, if not Anomander. One of the most overlooked characters of the series imo.

Yeah I barely remembered him and the Shake during my second readthrough. The Watch was very :stare:

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Ninth Layer posted:

Eh, remember when Karsa watches Traveler and Anomander fight. And admits either of them would tear him apart. I'd give Yedan good odds against Karsa or even the Forkrul Assail elders in TCG, but only in the knowledge that Erickson himself finds these kinds of 'power rankings' silly.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
If I remember correctly, Anomander is the seventh in Seguleh ranking? Traveler ends up being the first.
Anomander honestly never really struck me as a particularly exceptional swordsman. He's obviously good at it and he's got a lot of experience, but he's also possesses many other powers up his sleeve he wouldn't really need to totally master swinging sharp objects.
Yedan Derrig's main claim to fame is that he seems to have absolutely no regard for his own safety which leads to his infamous metal-as-gently caress scenes in TCG.

Low Energy
Feb 19, 2016

by Shine

anilEhilated posted:

If I remember correctly, Anomander is the seventh in Seguleh ranking?

That was the point he got sick of killing them and left, yes.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
There will probably never be a fight between karsa and one of the best human swordsman in the series if only because either he dies immediately or breaks their sword/them

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I remember reading somewhere that Whiskeyjack could hold is own when sparring with Dessem Ultor back in the day.

Finished The Crippled God and don't even know what to say but I am pretty satisfied with the ending.

Immediately jumped into Forge of Darkness and I'm just like "what?" First Draconus is described as looking like a perfect Tiste pure blood and speaking of which I haven't seen any "Andii" added on to Tiste yet.

Osserc is hanging around in Kurald Galain and described as a young man when I thought he would be with the Tiste Liosan.

Anomander is described as having burnished, golden skin rather than dark skinned with silver hair. Silchas of course is still an albino.

Plus talk of Jaghut and Forkrul lands when I thought they existed on the same world as the Malazans, not in Kurald Galain. Or maybe there's just an easy to traverse path between the world/holds or something?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Welcome to Forge of Darkness.

squibble
Sep 30, 2003

anilEhilated posted:

If I remember correctly, Anomander is the seventh in Seguleh ranking? Traveler ends up being the first.
Anomander honestly never really struck me as a particularly exceptional swordsman. He's obviously good at it and he's got a lot of experience, but he's also possesses many other powers up his sleeve he wouldn't really need to totally master swinging sharp objects.
Yedan Derrig's main claim to fame is that he seems to have absolutely no regard for his own safety which leads to his infamous metal-as-gently caress scenes in TCG.

The only correct answer to 'who is the best swordsman and biggest badass" in this series is Brys Beddict.

Edited because he's awesome and a Beddict.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

squibble posted:

The only correct answer to 'who is the best swordsman and biggest badass" in this series is Brys Beddict.

Edited because he's awesome and a Beddict.

the best swordsman in Malazan series is the mule obviously

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Finished Memories of Ice. Whiskeyjack nooooooo :smith:. I remarked to a friend that by the end of this book, the Bridgeburners were all gonna be either dead or ascendant,, and I get the feeling I was right about both.

Time to start House of Chains!

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

cptn_dr posted:

Finished Memories of Ice. Whiskeyjack nooooooo :smith:. I remarked to a friend that by the end of this book, the Bridgeburners were all gonna be either dead or ascendant,, and I get the feeling I was right about both.

Time to start House of Chains!

It is, as a bystander who has read the series multiple times, hilarious to watch your posts. :v:

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jose posted:

There will probably never be a fight between karsa and one of the best human swordsman in the series if only because either he dies immediately or breaks their sword/them

I wonder what Karsa's reaction would've been to watching Brys defeat Rhulad in the Letherii throne room.

e:

Mustang posted:

Immediately jumped into Forge of Darkness and I'm just like "what?"

Just roll with it. Everything will make sense in time.

1994 Toyota Celica fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 22, 2016

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

zeal posted:

I wonder what Karsa's reaction would've been to watching Brys defeat Rhulad in the Letherii throne room.

"I could do better."

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Shockeh posted:

It is, as a bystander who has read the series multiple times, hilarious to watch your posts. :v:

Well, I've enjoyed watching people go through other books and post wild theories and their emotional baggage in other threads, so it's only fair that I let other people do the same with me.

Plus I'm getting the same fun from the friends I've bullied into reading the books at the same time as me.

In other news, I read the prologue for House of Chains, and am confused. So, par for the course, really.

Edit: also mods, please change my name to Swoletaken, tia

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 22, 2016

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I'm in the middle of The Bonehunters in my reread, and I gotta say this probably the weakest book in the series. I enjoy the wild adventures of the Master of the Deck, and anything with Corabb but it feels like nothing really happens in this one. I'm slogging to get to Reaper's Gale, which was probably my favorite the first time around.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Nothing happens? In The Bonehunters?? :stare:

Mega-spoiler: Y'Ghatan alone is huge, but beyond that Mappo gets hosed over by the nameless ones' super-d'ivers, Ganoes KILLS a goddess, Laseen's inner circle changes completely and Karsa does cool Karsa things.

i actually thought if that book had any real flaw it was that there's almost too much going on sometimes.

Toll The Hounds was the "nothing really happens" book to me, at least until the last 200 pages or so.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

One chapter in to House of Chains. I'm finding Karsa very difficult to like so far, but I can tell he's going to be very interesting, potentially super cool and a lot deeper than he seems at first glance.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Karsa's whole arc as a character is really one of the best bits of fantasy I think I've read. Damned entertaining and shockingly affecting, I'd love to be able to relive my first read of the series and I always read this thread and get jealous of the first timers.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Fenrir posted:

Nothing happens? In The Bonehunters?? :stare:

Mega-spoiler: Y'Ghatan alone is huge, but beyond that Mappo gets hosed over by the nameless ones' super-d'ivers, Ganoes KILLS a goddess, Laseen's inner circle changes completely and Karsa does cool Karsa things.

i actually thought if that book had any real flaw it was that there's almost too much going on sometimes.

Toll The Hounds was the "nothing really happens" book to me, at least until the last 200 pages or so.

Toll has one of my favorite badass-on-badass scenes, though:

Kallor being Kallor and Gothos talking down to him like he would a housepet...and Kallor *taking it* rather than escalating.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I'm never sure whether I should post my theories/ reveal my ignorance as I go. But I'm trying to figure out what the Teblor actually are. My suspicions are either Tiste Edur, Jaghut or Toblakai , or at least somewhat related to one of them. And potentially the dudes from the prologue? Who I also think might be Tiste Edur or something related to the Barghest.

Stay tuned for me having my mind blown again shortly, I presume.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

You were paying better attention at this point in the series than I was. But keep reading, you won't have to wait for too much longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Got this in the mail today:

My expectations are pretty low going in, but I'll cross my fingers that this is a new fresh exciting start for ICE.