Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Toast Museum posted:

I thought Pernod was a pastis, not an absinthe. I haven't tried either, so I don't know similar they are.

Relatedly, I'm very open to being told that Arak is close enough to absinthe for cocktail purposes, if anyone can weigh in on that.

It is, and while they are both very anise-y, they're a little different.

Herbsainte should be easy enough to find, and is basically Absinthe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Pernod makes both Pernod, the pastis, and Pernod Absinthe Superieure, the absinthe. Both should be around VA. Kubler should be available around VA, it is a Swiss style clear absinthe and it's great.

If you wanna get fancy and local, Mt. Defiance's absinthe is excellent if spendy.

Pastis is generally a simpler product when compared to absinthe, and that or Arak are ok in a pinch but an actual quality absinthe WILL make a noticeable difference.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 9, 2019

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Vieux Pontarlier is excellent also and might be available - I think it’s imported by Tempus Fugit

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Toast Museum posted:

I thought Pernod was a pastis, not an absinthe. I haven't tried either, so I don't know similar they are.

it looks like they make both. if you're american you might just be remembering from ye olde absinthe-ban days

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I had a really nice variant on an old fashioned this week. It was called an Moda Italiana, an Italian Fashioned. They listed it as old fashioned with fig and herb infused rittenhouse rye and crown royal, zucca rabarbaro, cappelletti amaro alta verde. It used a fig and a cinnamon stick as the garnishes. I wish I could deconstruct it. I would ask the restaurant but I'm probably not in their good graces as I complained about the terrible service we got later in the night. Great food and drink but zero service later in the dinner. I know I won't be able to figure out the infusion on my own but just googling the ingredients says zucca rabarbaro is an available amaro and cappelletti amaro alta verde is an amaro made by Antica Erboristeria Cappelletti. They don't name a sweetener in the list.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 19, 2019

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Yuns posted:

I had a really nice variant on an old fashioned this week. It was called an Moda Italiana, an Italian Fashioned. They listed it as old fashioned with fig and herb infused rittenhouse rye and crown royal, zucca rabarbaro, cappelletti amaro alta verde. It used a fig and a cinnamon stick as the garnishes. I wish I could deconstruct it. I would ask the restaurant but I'm probably not in their good graces as I complained about the terrible service we got later in the night. Great food and drink but zero service later in the dinner.

You got bad service at an Italian restaurant? :aaaaa:

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

You got bad service at an Italian restaurant? :aaaaa:
It was good service right up until they cleared the main course and then no service at all. No dessert menu or check or refilled glass or coffee or anything for a shitload of time. Our server completedly ghosted us and didn't reappear until I came by to complain after an ridiculously long time.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
This is probably gonna be some basic stuff, but I come from a pretty basic family. I've been appointed the Drink Guy (and Grill Guy) for my family's 4th of July weekend. Specifically because my mother-in-law has been informed that a visiting family member prefers these 3 cocktails:

• Black Russian
  • Mudslide
  • Rye & Ginger

From my googling it looks like these are all pretty simple and they boil down to:

• 5:2 vodka : Kahlua, over ice
  • Ditto, but with added cream (and Irish cream) - probably also some kind of chocolate?
  • 1:2 rye whiskey : ginger ale, over ice

Any other suggestions that might be helpful? I definitely don't need to do anything too fancy. As far as expense I plan to spend the most on the whiskey, but I should still keep it modest, since mixing it with ginger ale will obviously blow past anything subtle.

If someone without super picky tastes asked for a Mudslide, would you assume they want it with crushed ice or something like that?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I would prepare a Mudslide with small cubed ice rather than crushed, unless you serve it with a straw.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
A mudslide in the middle of summer does not sound good.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I recently did a sort-of Negroni isomorphism that I'm pretty pleased with. I think I'm calling it a

Patio Rose

2 oz. gin (I used Bombay Dry)
1 oz. Cocchi Rosa
1 oz. Lillet rose
1/4 oz. Campari

Stir, lemon twist, up (or on the rocks if you'll be lingering).

Beautifully drinkable, just a bit astringent at the end. I'm really into it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Been playing with the Ramos Gin Fizz, trying to execute it in as little time as possible. I've managed to create a thick foam within 2 minutes, gonna keep trying.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

Sir Lemming posted:

Any other suggestions that might be helpful?

I would stick with highballs in warm weather, so the Rye/Ginger is a good choice. Maybe do another one with white rum or silver tequila and grapefruit soda and lime to have another option.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Thanks. They probably did not think this through too hard as far as weather and whatnot. I'll have vodka and Kahlua on hand since those aren't expensive or anything (and my in-laws always have Bailey's or an off-brand), but I'll try to steer things towards the Rye & Ginger. (Coincidentally I'm also in the process of making homemade ginger ale which should be ready right around that time, but obviously if it doesn't turn out well I'll just buy some.)

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Been playing with the Ramos Gin Fizz, trying to execute it in as little time as possible. I've managed to create a thick foam within 2 minutes, gonna keep trying.

That's an insane foam for two minutes, holy poo poo. I don't make Ramos Gin Fizzes very often, but even dry shaking for like five minutes I don't get nearly that much fluff

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Whalley posted:

That's an insane foam for two minutes, holy poo poo. I don't make Ramos Gin Fizzes very often, but even dry shaking for like five minutes I don't get nearly that much fluff

I shook all ingredients except the cream for a minute with 2 1 inch cubes, then removed the ice, added the cream and the spring from a Hawthorne shaker in and shook for another minute. Let the drink settle in the glass for a minute or so, then I ran seltzer down a bar spoon into the glass to raise the foam. I think I can get a more stable, stiff foam with more shaking, going to try today.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 21, 2019

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

you could always mount an old paint mixing machine on your cocktail station :getin:

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I like white russians and black russians. I like rum n cokes. I like booze.
Mount Gay n Coke is my "Fauncy" choice. Followed by Jerry and Coke and then a well and coke. Lately I've been dabbling in the brown stuff, like, whisk(e)y , scotch, bourbon. Old Fashions, sours, mules are great when done right.

I also make a buncha beertails. Michiladas and what not.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Okay.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
:shepface:

I like cocktails.

Since I'm here, heres a beertail/cocktail.

1. Pint glass
2. Fill half way with ice
3. 3oz lemon/lime juice
4. 8-10 drops Magi/Soy sauce/wurstishire
5. Add Salt and pepper and tajin
6. Pour in beer of choice(Mexican cervesa or light beer)
7. Splash of Clamato juice

Bam. Family michilada recipe. Steps 6 and 7 can be reversed to tatse. Depending if you want more beer or more clamato juice. Also dabs of Tabasco for some heat.

If you wanted you can swap out beer for 1 shot(or a few) of vodka and have "bloody maria"

If you wanted to get REAL fancy...you'd put half a can of baby clams(no shell) some chamoy, some chaka chaka, and a celery stick garnish.

:yum:

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Micheladas loving whip but that has much less hot sauce than I am used to. Get some Cholula up in there.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Only beertail I've liked is flip.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm more of a Camparty guy.

What are some good absinthe cocktails that aren't just a rinse? (I've also noticed a lot of absinthe cocktail recipes floating around just have way too much going on--like a spoonful of absinthe and a liqueur and a fortified wine and bitters.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

What are some good absinthe cocktails that aren't just a rinse? (I've also noticed a lot of absinthe cocktail recipes floating around just have way too much going on--like a spoonful of absinthe and a liqueur and a fortified wine and bitters.

Have you had Death in the Afternoon?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Oh, big fan, big fan. But I don't always have a bottle of sparkling open. Really, I've learned from experience that a brunch with Death in the Afternoon is something you kind of plan in advance, knowing you aren't going to get anything done for the rest of the day.

Whereas adding a quarter-ounce of absinthe to a classic sour cocktail is something I can do without having to finish a bottle, and without obliterating the afternoon.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

Have you had an absinthe frappe? It's really good.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

There's the Obituary, which is 2 gin, 1 dry vermouth, .25 absinthe, stir.

Also the Doctor Funk, which is in Beach Bum Berry. That's

1.5 white Spanish-style rum
.75 lime juice
.5 grenadine
tsp ansinthe
1 soda

Shake all but soda, strain, top soda, add ice.

This old blog post has a couple other Doctor Funk variations.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 26, 2019

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Absinthe is meant to be consumed diluted. A good starting point for a glass of absinthe is a 5:1 water: absinthe ratio, which is why it's always in drinks in small amounts. It's very overpowering and the anise can have a slightly numbing affect on your tounge, so there aren't many absinthe forward drinks.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It's been a year and a month since I last posted but I finally got to go to hidden harbor and man, the food was tad pricey but I think that's just expected with that kind of thing.

I got to try out the rum barrel drink, that was pretty loving good. May's been stressing me out like crazy but there was something about that drink that just really made all the stress go away and I was just legitimately feeling a nice, warm calm feeling.

I got their rum passport, didn't try any of the rums from it yet but I figure if I'm in squirrel hill again I can stop in and try some of the rums.

I forget, I remember at some point someone told me that there is a particular brand of rum I should avoid because of workers rights violations or something along those lines. Anybody know what brand I'm talking about?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Flor de Caña. Look up sangre de cañero

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Flor de cana's issues stemmed mainly from the fact that they were using 3rd party labor contractors who managed all/most of their field labor in the region- CKD was affecting that entire area, not just Flor de caña workers. Since that article was published they have switched to hiring all their field labor as full time employees and have given them unlimited water breaks, in-field lunches and unlimited access to hydration solution. They have also become a fair trade certified company, which means they are subject to labor practice audits to maintain their certification.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Fart Car '97 posted:

Flor de cana's issues stemmed mainly from the fact that they were using 3rd party labor contractors who managed all/most of their field labor in the region- CKD was affecting that entire area, not just Flor de caña workers. Since that article was published they have switched to hiring all their field labor as full time employees and have given them unlimited water breaks, in-field lunches and unlimited access to hydration solution. They have also become a fair trade certified company, which means they are subject to labor practice audits to maintain their certification.

That's a seriously impressive turnaround. I look forward to trying it, now that I can do so without feeling like a monster.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Oh thank god. I've been avoiding FdC for years now even though their extra seco is easily my favorite inexpensive white rum. I was hoping this would happen.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Is it weird using panela in a cocktail syrup? Think Colombian block sugar, like turbinado or demara on steroids. I've found at most you want it to be 50% of the total sugar. Also gives it some body.

Here's my bastardized mint julep old fashioned:

Wild turkey 101 or Old Granddad 100 big pour
Angostura bitters
Homemade caraway-sazerac bitters
Fernet Branca Menta
Mint syrup

Shake with a little bit of fresh mint leaves only, garnish with a mint stem and crown leaves tall enough to sit right above it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Comb Your Beard posted:

Is it weird using panela in a cocktail syrup? Think Colombian block sugar, like turbinado or demara on steroids. I've found at most you want it to be 50% of the total sugar. Also gives it some body.

There are no weird ingredients. Only weird recipes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I don't have as much experience with rum as Kenning (who does?) but FdL Extra Secco is the finest white rum I've ever tasted. I'm glad their working conditions going forward will be merely as barbaric as your average postcolonial banana republic.

chitoryu12 posted:

There are no weird ingredients
besides bacon.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I'd hardly call FdL the finest white rum, there are many white rums that are 'better" out there, but it's pretty much unbeatable for the price.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Fart Car '97 posted:

I'd hardly call FdL the finest white rum, there are many white rums that are 'better" out there, but it's pretty much unbeatable for the price.

I'd be interested to hear your favorites and bang-for-buck picks in whatever categories you feel like writing about.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Toast Museum posted:

I'd be interested to hear your favorites and bang-for-buck picks in whatever categories you feel like writing about.

$30 and under, 'white', major producer & not jamaican or agricole, off the top of my head I would say all of these are higher quality rums than FdL Extra Secco

Banks 5 Island
Plantation 3 Star
Cana Brava 3yr
Havana Club 3yr
Real McCoy 3yr
El Dorado 3yr (maybe on par w/ FdL)
E: Foursquare Probitas*

*Though I haven't tried it, I would be shocked if it was anything less than very good, given Foursquare's track record

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

E: DDDDDOuble Post