Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Gothmog1065 posted:

Any recommendations on a POE gigabit switch? Nothing fancy, am going to be running some IP cameras over Ethernet and I want them powered via POE. Should I just jump on one of the cheaper TP-Link 5/8 port POE switches?

What about a cheap injector?

http://www.amazon.com/WS-POE-8-ENC-...ds=poe+injector

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
So I've got an Asus RT-N16 right now back on default firmware and I'm trying to set it up for mobile broadband WAN connection via a Sierra Wireless AirCard 313U USB mobile adapter. The thing is, I've got little to no idea of how to configure the router for that. I was trying to do it in DD-WRT but go nowhere. According to their database, my mobile adapter is supported. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

Comatoast posted:

You're looking for an Alix board from netgate. There is a recent revision of the 2d3 boards for around $200.

Do the realtek NICs do anything strangely?

I've got a D525 mini-itx board running pfsense right now, but it's got a regular ATX power supply and such. Should I bother messing with those pico-itx power adapters? I'm running off a 16GB SATADOM rather than a normal disk so I don't even need extra power connections.

Should I just save my money and pickup an APU1D4 or whatever they're called?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

This looks neat, but I kinda wish Apple made it instead. From Reddit it appears a cheaper version of a Meraki AP with mesh networking. Designer from Nest and other places, will have option to install OpenWRT for those cloud-averse.

https://www.eero.com

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Don't know why you'd prefer Apple considering how poorly they've handled WiFi in Yosemite.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MrMoo posted:

This looks neat, but I kinda wish Apple made it instead. From Reddit it appears a cheaper version of a Meraki AP with mesh networking. Designer from Nest and other places, will have option to install OpenWRT for those cloud-averse.

https://www.eero.com

I think the idea of a home network Meraki is really great, but I'm also pretty hesitant to believe that the Eero guys aren't overpromising here.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Inspector_666 posted:

I think the idea of a home network Meraki is really great, but I'm also pretty hesitant to believe that the Eero guys aren't overpromising here.

They claim two of those for an apartment? Sounds like they are weak as poo poo.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Seems exactly like Open-Mesh which works great for the home.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

socialsecurity posted:

Oh wow, I've never even heard of that brand before. That's pretty cool.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Comatoast posted:

You're looking for an Alix board from netgate. There is a recent revision of the 2d3 boards for around $200.

there's some pretty slick 1150 boards with dual intel nics for $150.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Wow drat. I could have sworn I saw a gigabit for $49 or something TP Link. Guess it was a 10/100. I'll probably end up doing that then. Would you recommend getting a full 48v/8A adapter.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

socialsecurity posted:

The secret they're not telling you is that you lose 1/2 your throughput per wireless mesh hop.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

CrazyLittle posted:

The secret they're not telling you is that you lose 1/2 your throughput per wireless mesh hop.

The Eero project discusses that on the Reddit thread, because they have bonded double MIMO antennas they get better backhaul performance.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MrMoo posted:

The Eero project discusses that on the Reddit thread, because they have bonded double MIMO antennas they get better backhaul performance.

I'd be very interested to see how they're supporting more than 3 spatial streams for MIMO. I've never heard of bonding multiple MIMO arrays for 802.11. Now channel bonding is a thing and I know they're doing that since they support 802.11ac.

OK, I just read their FAQ and they basically have an isolated radio for mesh management. There's still a performance hit for route evaluation.

I'm not saying they suck or anything like that. The "bonded MIMO antennas" tripped my Kool-Aid detector. One thing I would have like to see is a max clients listing in the tech specs.

The one thing I like that they are doing, and for relatively cheap is implementing 802.11s on COTS equipment. That's cool, but don't pretend you won't take a performance hit. The management overhead for 802.11s is what will degrade throughput in this case. But this does solve fast roaming for residential/small business locations that require multiple APs without having to shell out for an Enterprise solution with a management head-end to implement 802.11k and 802.11r. And since the default on these things is 802.11ac (and also support 802.11n) that performance hit will most likely never be noticed by 99.9%.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 7, 2015

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Here is the Reddit thread - http://www.reddit.com/r/gadgets/comments/2un0pb/eero_thinks_its_tiny_box_can_fix_all_your_wifi/

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

There's nothing in there about bonding MIMO arrays. They are using 2x2 which is two spatial streams. MIMO comes in 2x2, 2x3, 3x3, or 4x4. Now there's nothing *wrong* with 2x2 and I'm sure it was a decision to reduce costs. As long as there's no building materials that adversely affect RF in an unusual way (lots of metal for instance), 2x2 is fine.

They're using 802.11ac which uses channel bonding. That's how it gets its insane throughput. That's probably where the term bonding was brought up.

Now, on to mesh management overhead. It looks like they're solving that issue two ways: 1) Using an isolated radio network for mesh management and 2) offloading mesh table calculations to their "cloud". That helps reduce resource consumption on the "master" AP for wireless route calculation and minimizes impact on the 5GHz duty cycles. It also allows them to cut costs. It's a very clever solution.

Be aware, this has some serious implications. Now, the firmware engineer that was in that thread swears that all they are doing is looking at bandwidth stats to update the mesh table at some pre-defined interval. However as a consumer, I would make sure it's spelled out in licensing or terms and conditions. They have full access to your network, up to and including the ability to grab wired and wireless traffic (regardless of encryption, because they have access to that as well just by the nature of having a link into your device). They drat well better be connecting to their cloud some sort of encrypted tunnel, but that means that people like me won't be able to easily verify that they are in fact living up to their "I swear it's just bandwidth data and RF stats".

Honestly, I want to believe them, and I do think their representative was telling the truth. But if you are at all concerned about this kind of thing, this might not be for you. Personally, I think the legal fallout that would rain down on them if they did collect more than they are disclosing is enough of a deterrent.

EDIT: Left out 4x4

EDIT2: Words are hard

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 8, 2015

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

flosofl posted:

There's nothing in there about bonding MIMO arrays. They are using 2x2 which is two spatial streams. MIMO comes in 2x2, 2x3, or 3x3. Now there's nothing *wrong* with 2x2 and I'm sure it was a decision to reduce costs. As long as there's no building materials that adversely affect RF in an unusual way (lots of metal for instance), 2x2 is fine.

Answered here:

6roybatty6 posted:

There are a bunch of reasons, but I can't go into them right now; some are technical and others are just caused by externalities.
As for which band does what- that's complicated, and depends on the RF survey results; we do bonded backhaul, and both radios work as both mesh and AP interfaces.

The detail on engadget is interesting, in particular the bandwith issue is a bit confusing - http://www.engadget.com/2015/02/03/eero/

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MrMoo posted:

Answered here:

The detail on engadget is interesting, in particular the bandwith issue is a bit confusing - http://www.engadget.com/2015/02/03/eero/

Ok, I see what they're doing now. I misread this part

quote:

the radios we're fitting (they're very fast 802.11ac/802.11n radios with 2x2 MIMO, and the device has two of them) and the processor we're using (it's a dual-core 1 GHz processor)

I must have misread. I wasn't getting the implication that they were going for 2(2x2) to get a bonded 160MHz channel. That sounds like a real thorny problem they claim to have solved. 802.11ac will do 160MHz (either contiguous or two non-contiguous 80MHz channels) and there are 4x4 chipsets. But getting 2(2x2) to emulate a 4x4... I can't think of way to account for that in the 802.11 spec. If I had to guess (and I'm pulling it wildly out of my rear end here), I'd say they are handling it CPU bound (explains the dual core for a consumer grade device) and presenting it to layer 2 as 4x4. Since it will be emulating a 4x4 I can't even begin to guess how that would perform. But at the price point they have, I'm guessing it will be competitive to a consumer grade 3x3 and outperform a standard 2x2.

Thanks for clearing that up. This sounds like a really cool product and neat solution to home/small office mesh networking. As I said before my only real issue is the offloading of route calculations to The CloudTM

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 8, 2015

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
We've been having a lot of slowdown recently and Comcast says it's because we don't have a dualband router. Can anyone recommend one? I guess I also need a modem as well, so one of those that have both would be best. I don't even have the faintest idea where to start on this one.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Doghouse posted:

We've been having a lot of slowdown recently and Comcast says it's because we don't have a dualband router. Can anyone recommend one? I guess I also need a modem as well, so one of those that have both would be best. I don't even have the faintest idea where to start on this one.

Do you have the same speed problem bypassing wifi?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Don Lapre posted:

Do you have the same speed problem bypassing wifi?

Yeah, comcast likes to blame a lot of things that require no effort on their part.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

flosofl posted:

Yeah, comcast likes to blame a lot of things that require no effort on their part.

I worked in their Wifi department for a few months last year.

God yes they do that. They will pass anything and everything off to the Wifi department. TV not working right? Send them to Wifi. Modem not connected to the wall in any way? Send them over to Wifi.

Their support departments are downright retarded.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Ugh. Yeah it looks about the same right now, although at the moment in getting good speeds even with Wi-Fi.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Speaking of Comcast, my friend's mom is getting ripped off hardcore by them. She works from home, and obviously needs a halfway decent connection to do her job, so she called a while back complaining about lovely service and they told her that her modem wasn't approved for their network (even though she was leasing it from them). They then sent her one of their terrible router/modem/wifi combo units and told her that they couldn't give her the admin information because it was their device. She asked me to come over and take a look at it, and after running a quick spectrum analysis I realized that their retarded technicians had configured every unit in the block to run on channel 6 and that, despite being only 5 feet from the router, the beacon quality was only around 50% due to channel interference.

Anyway, I ordered her a combo voice/data gateway and a separate router to knock them out of the equation entirely (her work is going to reimburse her for almost all of it, so that's good). I also recommended she upgrade to their business class so she can at least get some semblance of a SLA, but I'm not quite sure where to begin. They're currently ripping her off to the tune of $119/mo for voice and data, when I only pay $60 for 120mbps down. I'm going back over in a week or so to set up the equipment and to call up Comcast on her behalf to hammer out the details. What should I be asking for in the business class department while I'm busy yelling at them for being the worst company in the US and taking advantage of a middle aged woman?

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Dumb sharehome networking question: lovely tp-link router in front of house, my lovely bedroom upstairs and at back of house. Signal strength is pretty average in my room and results in drop outs and painful speeds. The only phone port in the house is at the front. Am I being dumb in thinking I can run some phone cable out (15m) from the wall to place the router somewhere less poo poo? Godawful Aussie Adsl2 about 20,000Kbs downstream. If I am dumb what's the next best option? Can't run an Ethernet cable across the house.

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 9, 2015

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Replaced the Verizon actiontec this weekend with a Netgate APU4 after getting the reco in this thread. Thanks, thread!

Replaced the coax Moca to the ONT with UTP so now it's just a straight shot to the router with no media conversion. Also got the WiFi AP set up with two SSIDs and two VLANs, one shared with the wired network and one that routes straight out to the Internet so we can give to friends or put on my wife's work computer. :feelsgood:

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
What's the current recommendation for powerline adapters? I'm currently working with an awful modem/router all-in-one (motorola SBG 6580) and the wireless connection is crap, especially to a room about 30' away. I can't run cat6 to it, but I'm pretty sure the rooms are on the same breaker. The TP-link ones on amazon (TL-PA4010) look pretty good and I've had good experience with their products in the past. I don't need crazy speeds, 30-50mbit is plenty, I'm not running any serious network.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I'm using the TL-PA4010 right now and it works fine aside from an intermittent connectivity drop issue - unless I have constant network traffic (e.g. a download or video stream), it'll randomly drop for anywhere from 30 seconds up to a couple minutes, which is particularly frustrating when I'm just doing simple web browsing. Tried disabling the power saving feature but that doesn't seem to have resolved the problem. In the meantime I just leave a ping -t pointed at my router, but it's definitely an issue you should be aware of before purchasing. Some comments I saw while looking for a fix implied this is an issue with most powerline adapters, so maybe it's a chipset bug with no real fix.

skooky
Oct 2, 2013

XTimmy posted:

Am I being dumb in thinking I can run some phone cable out (15m) from the wall to place the router somewhere less poo poo?

That's going to be your cheapest option for sure. Good luck!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

psydude posted:

What should I be asking for in the business class department while I'm busy yelling at them for being the worst company in the US and taking advantage of a middle aged woman?

Make sure you are VERY clear that you have your own equipment you will be using. Apparently saying, "So, I'll be hooking up my own cable modem" two or three times over the call was not enough and they shipped me their modem/Wifi abomination. While it's easy enough to return (always go to a service center if possible and get a receipt), it's a pain in my rear end.

Also, if you have to bitch at them, wait until after your mom is up and running. It will do no good, anyway and you don't want to have your moms service tagged with "rear end in a top hat" or end up as an anecdote on Consumerist.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Apologies if this isn't the right place to ask about this/it's been recently asked before.

Comcast sent me one of their "Wireless Gateway" modem/router combo units because my account's been granted "access to higher web speeds" or somesuch as that.

I have an existing network centered around an Airport Extreme that I've been very happy with and I have absolutely no interest in moving all of my/my roommates' stuff over or wading into the poo poo mire that is dealing with a cable-supplied router.

Can I simply replace the old cable router with the new one and run a line from one of its Ethernet-outs to the Airport? Will I lose any bandwidth/data speed/whatever that way? Do I have to use the Comcast router for best performance?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Apologies if this isn't the right place to ask about this/it's been recently asked before.

Comcast sent me one of their "Wireless Gateway" modem/router combo units because my account's been granted "access to higher web speeds" or somesuch as that.

I have an existing network centered around an Airport Extreme that I've been very happy with and I have absolutely no interest in moving all of my/my roommates' stuff over or wading into the poo poo mire that is dealing with a cable-supplied router.

Can I simply replace the old cable router with the new one and run a line from one of its Ethernet-outs to the Airport? Will I lose any bandwidth/data speed/whatever that way? Do I have to use the Comcast router for best performance?

The only part of the Comcast equipment you'll need is the modem itself (if you don't already own your own, although if you did I don't know why they would have sent one to you.) Basically it's just plugging that router into cable connection from the wall, putting it into bridge mode (which I think requires a call to comcast) and plugging that into your Airport.

So yeah, whatever router they gave you initially that your using should just swap out pretty easily.

So Wall -> Comcast piece (In bridge mode) -> Airport extreme -> all your devices.

Looking at my own router (an Arris) it looks like I could actually set Bridge mode in the settings under Local IP Network. Whatever model they sent you might be a little different, but if you can find it it'll save you a call.

Garrand fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 9, 2015

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Garrand posted:

The only part of the Comcast equipment you'll need is the modem itself (if you don't already own your own, although if you did I don't know why they would have sent one to you.) Basically it's just plugging that router into cable connection from the wall, putting it into bridge mode (which I think requires a call to comcast) and plugging that into your Airport.

So yeah, whatever router they gave you initially that your using should just swap out pretty easily.

So Wall -> Comcast piece (In bridge mode) -> Airport extreme -> all your devices.

Looking at my own router (an Arris) it looks like I could actually set Bridge mode in the settings under Local IP Network. Whatever model they sent you might be a little different, but if you can find it it'll save you a call.

Yeah, if it is one of the gateway (modem/router units) you will have to call Comcast and get shifted over to their Wifi department (most likely, the other departments are stupid) to be switched over to bridge mode. Which I heard is necessary because people were accidentally setting themselves in bridge mode and wondering why nothing was working right and calling in.

Certain gateway models... have issues with bridge mode as well. The, uh... Technicolor one I think it was did? And one other, I forget which.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Diviance posted:

Yeah, if it is one of the gateway (modem/router units) you will have to call Comcast and get shifted over to their Wifi department (most likely, the other departments are stupid) to be switched over to bridge mode. Which I heard is necessary because people were accidentally setting themselves in bridge mode and wondering why nothing was working right and calling in.

Certain gateway models... have issues with bridge mode as well. The, uh... Technicolor one I think it was did? And one other, I forget which.

Bridge mode on my technicolor was broken as gently caress, so I bought my own surfboard and didn't look back.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
We're currently customers of the glorious AT&T U-verse, which are currently hammering us to the tune of $212.85/mo.

The bill breaks down as follows:

U200 TV: $80
Extra wired TV receiver: $9

"Max Turbo" Internet (24/3 that can go as fast as 28/4.5): $72
Internet bundle discount: -$5
High Speed Internet Equipment fee: $4

Telephone: $35

Miscellaneous fees and taxes: $17.85

I was wondering if it would be worth my effort to replace this bundled Internet service with Charter Business? It could certainly go way faster than 28/4.5, but I'd have to register an LLC to even sign up for it. Plus, we'd be keeping this TV and phone service, because my parents only just got used to this system a couple of years ago, and also have a load of random programming on the DVR box that they'd never be able to get off of it, short of buying DVD sets of everything they've queued up for later.

I also have to put up with AT&T's lovely 2Wire gateway appliance, which is limited to 1024 NAT sessions... which isn't so much of a problem any more, as I stopped doing the BitTorrent thing ages ago. They also don't do IPv6, which I guess I sort of don't like, and they even prevent me from using my own IPv6 solution. Their solution is completely broken, and as I've tested, completely drops all fragmented packets at the headend, thus rendering all but the most rudimentary traffic situations impossible.

Or is it possibly worth my while to try to extract a discount out of AT&T?

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

kode54 posted:

I also have to put up with AT&T's lovely 2Wire gateway appliance, which is limited to 1024 NAT sessions... which isn't so much of a problem any more, as I stopped doing the BitTorrent thing ages ago. They also don't do IPv6, which I guess I sort of don't like, and they even prevent me from using my own IPv6 solution. Their solution is completely broken, and as I've tested, completely drops all fragmented packets at the headend, thus rendering all but the most rudimentary traffic situations impossible.

Or is it possibly worth my while to try to extract a discount out of AT&T?

I am trying out Charter Spectrum right now since they removed their data caps and offer 60Mbps for a lower price than the 45Mbps I was getting from U-Verse. Works so far and I like not having to deal with that god awful U-Verse Gateway.

I am still in my initial 30 days, but it has been a solid 65Mbps for me the entire time so I am happy so far.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kode54 posted:

I was wondering if it would be worth my effort to replace this bundled Internet service with Charter Business? It could certainly go way faster than 28/4.5, but I'd have to register an LLC to even sign up for it.

What? You can't get business-class without proving you have a business? That seems like an extraordinary burden considering you can be a business without incorporating or forming a LLC. Not that it's smart from a liability persepective, but you can do it.

I don't know about Charter, but I didn't need to do that for Comcast.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
They would be idiots to not take more money from you if you're offering. Not even Charter is this stupid, because Comcast sure isn't.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Re: high u verse bill
I was on the phone with them trying to cancel in November and they transferred me to a nice lady in customer retention who gave me first year rates again to keep me on. She mentioned that starting in 2015 they can lock in these promo rates for 2 years so maybe give them a call.

I'm trying to help some extended family who just did a tear down rebuild on their home set up the network. The rooms all have coax, RJ45 and fiber. The phones are using the RJ45 and if I plug in a computer we lose dial tone. All the fiber go to the office where there's an array of 6 plugs in the closet. Right now they have fios coming in on the coax and serving Internet with WiFi only. There are some LAN ports on the router but they're not using them.

I've never worked with fiber for networking before but I did some searching it looks like I can either use a fiber-cat5 converter at each end of each line but this seems pretty messy or a fiber switch. I found a lot of used Silkworm 3250s on ebay for cheap. Could I leave this in the closet and connect to the fios router with cat5? Then I'd need converters or cards at any of the computers.

Am I on the right track here? It looks like the silkworm needs some configuring. Do I need special tools or software for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

They did a teardown rebuild and wired in only one rj45 per room wired to the phones and a useless fiber drop?