Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Fog Tripper posted:

Agree to disagree. Although I don't see how you can disagree about the flavor. Do a chuck and brisket side by side with no rub and tell me which has more flavor.

freeze it first, right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Fog Tripper posted:

Agree to disagree. Although I don't see how you can disagree about the flavor. Do a chuck and brisket side by side with no rub and tell me which has more flavor.

I prefer brisket to chuck in just about everything but stew.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm no grill pro but I'm decent... I have a set of GrillGrates(tm) coming next week and I'll let you know how I feel about them vs. my stock Broil King Baron cast irons.

[If anyone cares, maybe not... :) ]

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

12 hours in and pork shoulder is rocking steady at 162. Only a 6.X pounder, my smoker just seems to take it's time on the stall.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

sellouts posted:

freeze it first, right

I vacuum seal and freeze. Sorry, but my costco is about an hour away and buying fresh the day I smoke is not the best option.
What is your aversion toward a freezer? No doubt you kill and butcher your beef on site and flop it on the grate before the heart stops pumping.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Larrymer posted:

12 hours in and pork shoulder is rocking steady at 162. Only a 6.X pounder, my smoker just seems to take it's time on the stall.

Uh oh...how long has it been at 162ish and how hot are you cooking at?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm trying hot smoked salmon today.

That...that's about it

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Phil Moscowitz posted:

This is the year of long shoulder stalls.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
So was the taco brisket good or what

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Didn't watch it overnight (started 1AM, 5PM here currently so 16 hours now...) obviously but I was running around 225 (+-10 probably). I cranked the heat to around 270 and it got through the stall, 197 at this point. Should be good for dinner soon. All have my smokes have taken forever and my probes are accurate in a boiling water pot, so who knows.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Larrymer posted:

Didn't watch it overnight (started 1AM, 5PM here currently so 16 hours now...) obviously but I was running around 225 (+-10 probably). I cranked the heat to around 270 and it got through the stall, 197 at this point. Should be good for dinner soon. All have my smokes have taken forever and my probes are accurate in a boiling water pot, so who knows.

How close is your pit probe to the meat?

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Fog Tripper posted:

What is your aversion toward a freezer?

Ice daggers and purge.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

suuma posted:

So was the taco brisket good or what

Meat and taste was perfect. However we went out when I foiled it (160F internal), and the bark turned to mush. I am thinking that had I scraped off the excess after overnighting it, it would have come out even more bigly.

Was in the foil for over 4 hours. ~200F internal when we got home.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

atothesquiz posted:

How close is your pit probe to the meat?

I put it on the same rack as the meat, within a couple inches of it. The thermometer on the door gives a different temp by quite a bit but was told those aren't accurate.

I ended up cranking the heat to 250-275 and powered through the stall. Pulled it around 6pm after 17 hours.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Just in case you guys haven't seen it...

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3264505&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=33#post474209678

That thread is amazing. Guy is living the bachelor dream.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I want to smoke me some bacon right now, but I can't because I'm moving in two and a half days. :negative:

Post good bacon recipes. I want to try several kinds/flavors.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Speaking of which, is it possible to do Jamaican jerk bacon?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Oh, I bet jerk bacon would be pretty awesome. Just cure as normal but add jerk spices, then smoke over alder or something pimento.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
It would be a week of brining before you'd smoke it in any event.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Mikey Purp posted:

Oh, I bet jerk bacon would be pretty awesome. Just cure as normal but add jerk spices, then smoke over alder or something pimento.

Since this got mentioned again, does anyone have a source for pimento wood? Or a technique for using whole allspice or something for smoke? Gotta improve my jerking this summer.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Scythe posted:

Since this got mentioned again, does anyone have a source for pimento wood? Or a technique for using whole allspice or something for smoke? Gotta improve my jerking this summer.

unknown posted:

Other secret to good jerk is get yourself some pimento wood - http://www.pimentowood.com/

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Thanks!

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Just in case you guys haven't seen it...

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3264505&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=33#post474209678

That thread is amazing. Guy is living the bachelor dream.

Oh no, that poor brisket.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I want to smoke me some bacon right now, but I can't because I'm moving in two and a half days. :negative:

Post good bacon recipes. I want to try several kinds/flavors.

Ruhlmans is good.

Basic cure is 450g salt/225g sugar/56g pink salt which is enough to do a lot of bacon. Basically dry rub it onto the belly, vacuum seal it and throw it in the fridge. Flip it daily.

For savoury, add a few smashed cloves of garlic, 10g cracked black pepper, and a few crushed bay leaves.

For maple, I switch the sugar for brown sugar, make up the dry rub, then once it's in the vacuum bag tip about 1/2 a cup maple syrup and seal it. You definitely need to scale down the dry rub if you only plan on doing bacon every so often. So take the ratio and scale to suit.

I'm planning on getting maplewood to smoke my maple bacon and a blend of hickory and cherry to do my ham and savoury bacon.

I also have two bags of bones with meat for making bacon bone soup, which are currently curing as well. Haven't decided the smoke yet on that but I'm thinking hickory. There's even a tail in there curing as part of the bacon bones.

Got a ham on too, as I said before. It's about 1.6kg or so, only a small one for my own consumption

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Two 10lb pork butts today, one in my Performer and the other in the PBC. Hell yeah!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Mob posted:

The 40" Masterbuilts are also wider. I have one at work and you can fit two slabs of babybacks comfortably on each rack

I stand corrected. Thank you for that info.

Going to trim up two racks of spare ribs for St Louis style for today.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

VERTiG0 posted:

Two 10lb pork butts today, one in my Performer and the other in the PBC. Hell yeah!

How'd your PBC one turn out? I just got one and I've done three pork shoulders with mixed results. I get mine up to 206 but it still doesn't seem tender enough. It also takes me about 5 hours for a 6 lb pork shoulder.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

RisqueBarber posted:

It also takes me about 5 hours for a 6 lb pork shoulder.

What temp are you smoking at? That seems WAY too fast.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

RisqueBarber posted:

How'd your PBC one turn out? I just got one and I've done three pork shoulders with mixed results. I get mine up to 206 but it still doesn't seem tender enough. It also takes me about 5 hours for a 6 lb pork shoulder.

At 6 hours I'm assuming you did hot and fast at 275 or above.

Sometimes, you do get a tough pig.

Did you rest it after you pulled it?

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Larrymer posted:

What temp are you smoking at? That seems WAY too fast.

I use the PBC which isn't very good at adjusting temperature. I use the amount of coals listed in the instruction manual and adjusted the vent based on my elevation at the bottom. Also per the instructions, I cover it when I hang meats from the hooks and uncover it when I use the grate. As far as I know, that's all the PBC can do in regards to changing cooking methods.

This past week I followed the instructions from their website and still felt the meat could have cooked longer, despite me getting to 206. The pork just doesn't pull apart for me like I see in professional videos.

Colostomy Bag posted:

At 6 hours I'm assuming you did hot and fast at 275 or above.

Sometimes, you do get a tough pig.

Did you rest it after you pulled it?

I don't rest based on this article at amazingribs

RisqueBarber fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 31, 2017

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I have probably my biggest smoke to date coming up in a few weeks and I wanted to get some opinions for the planning process. I'm working on an 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain and am aiming to do at least 1 brisket, ~10 lbs of pork butt (1 or 2 depending on the sizes I find), and some beans. Right now I'm planning on doing the butt(s) the day before and the brisket and beans the day of the party. In my experience pork butt holds up pretty well for reheating. Alternatively I could do the brisket first and reheat that.

I guess I'm just looking for either "yep, that's a good plan, make sure you post pictures" or a "no, here's a much better solution, but also post pictures".

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

RisqueBarber posted:

Mine turned out fantastic. Perfect at 205 with a 2 hour rest. This was actually the first butt I've done in the PBC.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

RisqueBarber posted:

I don't rest based on this article at amazingribs

Isn't this article relevant to beef and select cuts of pork you don't cook to 170+? Weren't you doing pork shoulder?

edit: gently caress it

RisqueBarber posted:

I use the PBC which isn't very good at adjusting temperature. I use the amount of coals listed in the instruction manual and adjusted the vent based on my elevation at the bottom. Also per the instructions, I cover it when I hang meats from the hooks and uncover it when I use the grate. As far as I know, that's all the PBC can do in regards to changing cooking methods.

This past week I followed the instructions from their website and still felt the meat could have cooked longer, despite me getting to 206. The pork just doesn't pull apart for me like I see in professional videos.

Something tells me you're cooking it way too fast, man. Pork shoulder should pull apart and the time it took you is really short compared to the last several pork shoulders I've done.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
6 hours minimum I think for pulled pork of any size. Slow cooker pork I just make overnight, so it gets ~8 hours

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

VERTiG0 posted:

Mine turned out fantastic. Perfect at 205 with a 2 hour rest. This was actually the first butt I've done in the PBC.

What was your method? Did you use the hooks or just set it on the grate? Covered or uncovered?

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

sellouts posted:

Something tells me you're cooking it way too fast, man. Pork shoulder should pull apart and the time it took you is really short compared to the last several pork shoulders I've done.

I think so too but I'm just following the directions :confused:

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Did a shoulder on sunday for about 9 hours that only got to 190 or so. Put it in the inside oven at 225 for 6 hours yesterday and it refused to get above 203. It stuck at 203 for the last 3 hours so I just pulled it.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Just got an MES30 on clearance from Walmart for $50. I already have an Akorn, but at that price there's no way I could resist, and I like the idea of having a set it and forget it smoker for cooks when I can't sit outside with a beer and watch my smoker all day.

I've never used an electric smoker before, any advice or things I should be aware of?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Get one of these or you will have to add chips every hour.

http://www.amazenproducts.com/product_p/amns6x6.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

RisqueBarber posted:

I think so too but I'm just following the directions :confused:

You have yet to mention what temperature you're cooking at. Are you using a probe for the oven temp?