Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

HopperUK posted:

I also found this Sil a while back:

I have a version similar to this, except it's black and the picture is smaller.

Like this:

My LOTR book is just all three in one with a scene from the Battle of Helm's Deep from the movie as a cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
If I was to pick a scene from that battle for a book cover, it'd be Gandalf on Shadowfax about to break the picket line of orcs.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Or his coming at first light where it's Gandalf alone backlit by the sun.

One thing that I rarely see talked about with the films is how it has kind of a screwed up sense of direction in the literal sense. Which way they're going isn't always clear in the visual language. It's not so bad in Fellowship where the visual consensus is "go frame left to frame right to imply traveling east" but in Two Towers they travel southwest to Helm's Deep but still travel frame left to frame right and you have to remind yourself that the Hornburg faces north from its spot in the mountain range.

Then Return of the King defies physics by having the sun rise in the North rather than the East so that it can light up the Rohirrim before they charge and suddenly all sense of direction is lost.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Duodecimal posted:

If I was to pick a scene from that battle for a book cover, it'd be Gandalf on Shadowfax about to break the picket line of orcs.

Mine was this, which I don't think is a particularly great looking cover:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Mine was this, which I don't think is a particularly great looking cover:

I've got that one but it's absolutely destroyed, it wasn't bound very well in the first place, I don't think.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Same. But mine got wet so I assumed it was because of that.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
My omnibus version looks like this (and despite it being Alan Lee art, is just ugly as gently caress and so blah):

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
My first ever copy of The Hobbit was an ancient paperback with a really cartoony Smaug lying on a giant pile of gold. Because I was 8 years old and apparently a not very attentive reader, I got through most of chapter 1 picturing Bilbo as that dragon from the front cover, pottering about the kitchen and making tea. Eventually I realised my mind's image made no sense and re-read the chapter much more carefully.

It was this cover:

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

just saw last week's news, :rip: to a real one

now put the dang legendarium in the public domain, subsequent heirs!

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

webmeister posted:

My first ever copy of The Hobbit was an ancient paperback with a really cartoony Smaug lying on a giant pile of gold. Because I was 8 years old and apparently a not very attentive reader, I got through most of chapter 1 picturing Bilbo as that dragon from the front cover, pottering about the kitchen and making tea. Eventually I realised my mind's image made no sense and re-read the chapter much more carefully.

It was this cover:

That cartoony Smaug is drawn by Tolkien himself!
http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/1016-Conversation-with-Smaug-Bodleian-exhibition.php

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Gotta love how :3: he looks.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

These are the ones I had as a kid

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

webmeister posted:

It was this cover:

bilbo as a dragon under the hill owns

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means vast mounds of glittering treasure and the scattered bones of thieves.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Unless I've missed it, did nobody else have this edition?

My parents had a much older first or maybe second edition that was falling apart, so I bought this when I was a kid and first reading it. It was maybe a year or two before the movies came out, so I fortunately missed out on all the crappy movie themed covers.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

cheetah7071 posted:

I grew up with these terrible covers

:same:

Though my favorite cover is definitely De Hobbit’s from this post a few pages ago:

Look how goddamn cute Bilbo is in his big ol’ cloak! :allears:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

webmeister posted:

It was this cover:

That's probably the first edition my mother bought, this is what I grew up with:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-51311739

quote:

Police were inundated with Lord of the Rings jokes after posting an appeal looking for the owner of a "precious" piece of jewellery.

North Yorkshire Police seemed unaware of the JRR Tolkien connection when they shared photos of the "distinctive silver ring" on Facebook.

Thousands of people soon responded with gifs and memes referencing the famous fantasy novel and film series.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The people who insist that the LotR was allegorical or symbolic of WW1 or WW2, or of Tolkien's idealized childhood, generally drive me nuts. That being said, there are definitely some points in the books where I felt like his background as a combat veteran comes out. In particular, the passages in the 'The Two Towers' where the orcs are talking to each other about the progress of the war struck me as something Tolkien might have lifted nearly verbatim from his fellow soldiers during the war.

quote:

‘No, I don’t know,’ said Gorbag’s voice. ‘The messages go through quicker than anything could fly, as a rule. But I don’t enquire how it’s done. Safest not to. Grr! Those Nazgûl give me the creeps. And they skin the body off you as soon as look at you, and leave you all cold in the dark on the other side. But He likes ’em; they’re His favourites nowadays, so it’s no use grumbling. I tell you, it’s no game serving down in the city.’

‘You should try being up here with Shelob for company,’ said Shagrat.

‘I’d like to try somewhere where there’s none of ’em. But the war’s on now, and when that’s over things may be easier.’

‘It’s going well, they say.’

‘They would,’ grunted Gorbag. ‘We’ll see. But anyway, if it does go well, there should be a lot more room. What d’you say? – if we get a chance, you and me’ll slip off and set up somewhere on our own with a few trusty lads, somewhere where there’s good loot nice and handy, and no big bosses.’

‘Ah!’ said Shagrat. ‘Like old times.’

‘Yes,’ said Gorbag. ‘But don’t count on it. I’m not easy in my mind. As I said, the Big Bosses, ay,’ his voice sank almost to a whisper, ‘ay, even the Biggest, can make mistakes. Something nearly slipped, you say. I say, something has slipped. And we’ve got to look out. Always the poor Uruks to put slips right, and small thanks. But don’t forget: the enemies don’t love us any more than they love Him, and if they get topsides on Him, we’re done too.’

And we know from other passages and from his letters that Tolkien associated orcs and goblins with modern day warmongers and profiteers.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Imagined posted:

his background as a combat veteran

I would just like to caution people about reading too much into this, because he was a signals officer. He did go into the trenches with his men and was present on the multiple occasions when his battalion was ordered to attack something, but his job was to sit in a dugout and send and receive messages. Never went over the top, never had to repel an enemy attack, never saw a German except as prisoners, never fired his weapon in anger.

In fact, come to think of it - can anyone remember a fight scene in LotR that attempts to capture the feeling of doing violence oneself? Off the top of my head, it seems like all the fights and battles are presented at a remove; when it's time to get physical, the narrator mostly takes a step back out of people's heads and into bald descriptions of their actions. We're only in people's heads as they anticipate something coming, or breathe out after it's done.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
I dunno about experience with violence (though I don't know that detachment is an unrealistic portrayal of reacting to it), but the bits about the effects of the One Ring on the bearer ("he does not grow or obtain more life, he merely continues, until at last every minute is a weariness") and how Frodo wound up afterwards seem like pretty strong hints he knew about depression all too well. May not have fought personally but he was certainly a veteran at watching other people he knew die :(.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Imagined posted:

The people who insist that the LotR was allegorical or symbolic of WW1 or WW2, or of Tolkien's idealized childhood, generally drive me nuts. That being said, there are definitely some points in the books where I felt like his background as a combat veteran comes out. In particular, the passages in the 'The Two Towers' where the orcs are talking to each other about the progress of the war struck me as something Tolkien might have lifted nearly verbatim from his fellow soldiers during the war.

And we know from other passages and from his letters that Tolkien associated orcs and goblins with modern day warmongers and profiteers.

There's nothing contradictory about an author claiming his work wasn't deliberate allegory and people reading it as being massively informed by his life experiences.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

sassassin posted:

There's nothing contradictory about an author claiming his work wasn't deliberate allegory and people reading it as being massively informed by his life experiences.

Letter 131 posted:

I dislike Allegory - the conscious and intentional allegory - yet any attempt to explain the purport of myth or fairy tale must use allegorical language. (And, of course, the more 'life' a story has the more readily it will be susceptible to allegorical interpretations: while the better a deliberate allegory is made the more nearly will it be acceptable just as a story).
Emphasis mine.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

sassassin posted:

Is that not exactly what I said?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

On the subject of covers, Barbara Remington, who did the covers for the 1965 paperback version, has passed.

quote:

Ms. Remington, who designed other book covers for Ballantine as well, was asked to illustrate the 1965 editions of “The Lord of the Rings” and “The Hobbit” on a tight deadline.

“Ballantine was in a hurry to get these books out right away,” she said in an interview for the literary journal Andwerve. “When they commissioned me to do the artwork, I didn’t have the chance to see either book, though I tried to get a copy through my friends.

“So I didn’t know what they were about,” she continued. “I tried finding people that had read them, but the books were not readily available in the states, and so I had sketchy information at best.”

As a result, there were some missteps in the initial illustrations.

“When Tolkien saw the fruit tree, he asked, ‘What are pumpkins doing in a tree?’ Of course they weren’t pumpkins, but he wasn’t sure what they were,” Ms. Remington said. “He was especially perplexed about the lion on the cover because there are no lions in the story. He requested that Ballantine remove the lions from the cover, so they painted them over for later books.”

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Imagined posted:

It's parts like this that make me hate the way orcs are depicted in the movies. Movie orcs could never have a conversation like that. Just another example of the movies sanding down all the subtleties of the books.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
1d4chan is definitely more inclined to talk about Warhammer than Lord of the Rings but they do have a good article about the development of Orcs in the pop culture and how reactions and evolutions of the warrior race archetype change and influence stuff over time. They have a good talk about Tolkien orcs and then how the ubiquity of the Warhammer Fantasy Orc altered public perception of what an Orc actually is. Peter Jackson Orcs owe a lot to Games Workshop in their nastiness and blunt nature

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Jackson's dwarves are heavily warhammer inspired also, especially in the Hobbit films.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I was wondering what Tolkien actually imagined orcs looking like, because there are many passages where he describes people as looking almost like orcs, or being mistaken for orcs, etc. Even Treebeard thinks Merry and Pippin are little orcs until he hears their voices. Made me think that Tolkien was not imagining beings much different from ugly (foreign looking) people, not the slimy green monsters of Warhammer/Peter Jackson.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Tolkien absolutely thought of orcs as being ugly, weird, distorted types of foreign people and not green monsters with tusks or giant pig men or whatever. He was probably drawing on late antique descriptions of the Huns (filtered through Morris’ Roots of the Mountains).

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Imagined posted:

I was wondering what Tolkien actually imagined orcs looking like, because there are many passages where he describes people as looking almost like orcs, or being mistaken for orcs, etc. Even Treebeard thinks Merry and Pippin are little orcs until he hears their voices. Made me think that Tolkien was not imagining beings much different from ugly (foreign looking) people, not the slimy green monsters of Warhammer/Peter Jackson.

...they are (or were) squat, broad, flat-nosed, sallow-skinned, with wide mouths and slant eyes; in fact degraded and repulsive versions of the (to Europeans) least lovely Mongol-types

Letter 210

Not the professor's finest hour.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
That letter, incidentally, is the one to Forrest Ackerman in which he shits all over Zimmerman’s 1958 script for a LOTR movie; he only brings up that orcs look like gross caricatures of mongoloids because the script gave them “beaks and feathers”.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

GimpInBlack posted:

...they are (or were) squat, broad, flat-nosed, sallow-skinned, with wide mouths and slant eyes; in fact degraded and repulsive versions of the (to Europeans) least lovely Mongol-types

Letter 210

Not the professor's finest hour.

Though he then uses animalistic imagery to describe various other orcs though, including fangs, primate like arm proportions, and decribing their hands as either claws themselves or having claws. I think Jackson's orcs are far closer than say, Warhammer orcs.

There are some collected quotes here, including the above racist one.

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/92632/what-do-orcs-and-trolls-actually-look-like-or-rather-how-did-tolkien-imagine-th

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm talking more in demeanor than in appearance for Jackson Orcs. The orcs in Tolkien's writing are cruel and enjoy violence but they're also more articulate and nuanced than Jackson Orcs which are a lot closer in attitude to the homicidal maniacs that are Warhammer orcs.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Imagined posted:

I was wondering what Tolkien actually imagined orcs looking like, because there are many passages where he describes people as looking almost like orcs, or being mistaken for orcs, etc. Even Treebeard thinks Merry and Pippin are little orcs until he hears their voices.

All non-plant based lifeforms probably look the same to Treebeard.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I think making them inarticulate goo monsters was just Peter Jackson saying he didn't think the audience would be smart enough to know who the bad guys are otherwise and that pisses me off.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I thought it was more that Peter Jackson loves inarticulate goo monsters.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Gothmog looked ridiculous obviously, but what else was wrong with the way the movie orcs looked? They looked like goblins to me.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I think making them inarticulate goo monsters was just Peter Jackson saying he didn't think the audience would be smart enough to know who the bad guys are otherwise and that pisses me off.

I m not sure where you are getting that from. The scene where the uruks and orcs argue amongst themselves in front of merry and pippen is basically faithful to the book, as is the scene where frodo is captured and the orcs again squabble. It's clear the orcs can think and talk.

They simplified it for the movie and removed nuance, but that's inevitable in a transition from book to movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Again I think people are getting hung up on the visual appearance of the orcs and are missing the point that the movie orcs have had a personality shift from a cruel antagonist to an outright psychotic one that cannot function in a non-conflict situation. Everything about the behaviour of orcs in the films is built around military action and wanton violence. They don't behave like a species that can do anything more than fight. Tolkien might not go in depth with his orcs but he does give them hints of what life is like beyond armed campaigns for the Dark Lord.

I don't have an issue with their visual appearance. In fact I think that the Orcs look fantastic in the films and their spawning pools, while not to my liking, do evoke the clay of the earth origin stories.
It's the simplified nature of the films that strips the orcs and the other societies of nuance. Orcs go from an antagonistic force with brief moments of context beyond their military life to a straightforward Legion of Evil who only live for combat.

The Rohirrim having their own language and customs gets distilled down to "horse Saxons with some flavour titles." Gondor goes from a politically divided and overstretched nation to a bunch of sad sacks hiding behind a big castle with a hilariously squished geography.

The elves lose a lot of their respect for other races and all of them act like arrogant Noldorian douchebags all the time.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 18, 2020