Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

bean_shadow posted:

Squeaky Fromme?

His book about the OJ Simpson trial was pretty good too. I've also heard good things about his massive book about the JFK assassination.

Yeah, his JFK book (which I haven't read) is him basically setting out to definitively chronicle the day of the killing along with debunking every conspiracy theory. I've yet to see a negative review of it from any serious historian.

Anyways, I haven't read any interesting articles lately so have some random book recommendations.

The Presidents' War: Six American Presidents And The Civil War That Divided Them- Chris DeRose.

Pretty interesting book focusing on how the ex-Presidents alive at the time reacted to the Civil War (Hint: it wasn't well). All five of them opposed and hindered Lincoln to various degrees and either supported or were apathetic about slavery. It's interesting to read about the various political maneuvering these out-of-office presidents made and the book also does a good job at humanizing them (James Buchanan's dead fiancee is seriously gloomy, so is Franklin Perice's friendship with Nathanial Hawthorne). The book gets somewhat dull and repetitive towards the end but this is to be expected from a book that focuses on such illustrious luminaries as Millard Fillmore.

Almost President: The Men Who Lost The Race But Changed The Nation - Scott Farris

Focuses on the losers of various US Presidential elections who had a larger legacy then you might imagine. Great at making the case for the importance of each chapter's subject. Makes a surprisingly strong argument for William Jennings Bryan as the torchbearer of the modern, liberal Democratic Party as opposed to the bigoted old fool he's remembered as.

When Angels Wept: A What-If History of the Cuban Missile Crisis-Eric Swedin

Presented as a history book from a world where the Cuban Missile Crisis went hot. I'm a sucker for Alt-history and this one incorporated just enough real history to be considered educational. The author makes it seem creepily plausible that a single missed U-2 flight changes things enough so that enough small mistakes snowball into a nuclear exchange. It's hard to find well-written alt-history and even harder to find it presented as nonfiction so this was a pleasant surprise.

Rule and Ruin: The Downfall of Moderation and the Destruction of the Republican Party, From Eisenhower to the Tea Party- Geoffrey Kabaservice

The print equivalent of the :stonklol: smilie. Explores the struggle of progressives and moderates in the Republican Party as the struggle to hold back the rising tide of far-right insanity from the 1950's to 2013. Well-written but depressing since we all know how the book ends. Does a great job on highlighting surprisingly fascinating figures such as George Romney.

When Paris Went Dark: The City of Light Under German Occupation, 1940-1944-Ronald Rosbottom

Decent (not great) history of exactly what it says on the tin. Dredges up all sorts of fascinating individual stories involving everyone from Jewish fugitives to Hitler. Example: Hitler wanted to make a gesture that he was ready to 'reconcile' with France, but rather then do anything practical that might help the French he instead organizes a grand, stupidly elaborate ceremony to return the corpse of Napoleon II to Paris. Not a single Frenchman cares and even Petain and his Vichy supporters look very unenthusiastic and bored at the ceremony.

Raises some tricky issues about the Paris Police Department as simple as something like 'Is directing traffic in 1942 Paris an act of collaboration?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
From my hometown newspaper:

http://lancasteronline.com/news/loc...9c1e22437f.html

:stare:

quote:

A sinkhole estimated to be about 15 feet deep opened under a man taking out the trash this morning, Lititz Borough Police reported.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I hope the cops bust down their door one day just for that guy's hair

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

That mom's got a hell of a reach and power if she lifted her son out of a 15 foot hole

I actually live around Lancaster and specifically grew up in lititz, and we had a huge sinkhole in our backyard I was terrified of. My dad used to jump on it to freak me out

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
https://www.reddit.com/r/WTF/comments/42xhdw/chinese_womans_body_riddled_with_parasitic_worms/

quote:

Article says this girl started eating raw pork when she was 10 ( she is now 23). According to their local tribal tradition, whenever families in their village laughter a pig, every villager show up and eat the most tender part of pig raw to celebrate. Those villagers have never heard of pork parasites.

Original article in Chinese contains some super :nms: MRI images of brain, lungs and legs filled with more flatworm egg and larvae than muscles and bone.

:nms:

http://i.imgur.com/ju6ccoa.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vroE02g.jpg

ultrabindu has a new favorite as of 13:41 on Jan 28, 2016

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Now while I don't *not* believe that, I'm having a hard time believing that. First: wouldn't the whole village look the same or worse? Secondly: I HIGHLY doubt those xrays.

I know this is all in good fun, and I should just go ew gross and move on. But I caaaaaaan't.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Atlanta goon here. I have a friend who knows this couple. Apparently Apple has been in touch with them in an effort to figure out what's going on here. No idea why they don't put up a sign in the yard.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

HaB posted:

Atlanta goon here. I have a friend who knows this couple. Apparently Apple has been in touch with them in an effort to figure out what's going on here. No idea why they don't put up a sign in the yard.

Who is going to give a poo poo about a sign when they think you stole their phone? The sign just becomes a tacky part of your home that the HOA won't shut the gently caress up about.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

Now while I don't *not* believe that, I'm having a hard time believing that. First: wouldn't the whole village look the same or worse? Secondly: I HIGHLY doubt those xrays.

I know this is all in good fun, and I should just go ew gross and move on. But I caaaaaaan't.

Yeah, sorry this is my fault. I posted before I finished reading the translated article completely.

To clarify:

This woman has cysts in her tissues, which is a life stage of the pig tapeworm. Cysts are not worms, they are little capsules that the parasite is lying dormant in. So it might be comforting to know that this woman did not ever feel the wriggling of thousands upon thousands of worms across her body, she just got progressively more and more sick as the cysts were deposited.

The tapeworm lifecycle goes like this:
Worm in gut - lays-> Egg in poo poo -ingest poo poo-> Cyst in body tissue -eat tissue-> Worm in gut

So this village that eats raw Chinese pork is probably completely infested with tapeworm. That's bad, but the worms aren't difficult to treat and they only live in your gut.

But at some point, this woman got either pig or human poo poo on her hands, didn't wash it properly, and got the eggs into her mouth. Now the eggs will hatch and turn into cysts, and if she's eaten poo poo before, she'll eat poo poo again, and each time she'll develop more and more cysts until you get what shown in the pictures.

The cysts don't hatch until somebody eats them though, so there won't be worms hatching all over her.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

ultrabindu posted:

The cysts don't hatch until somebody eats them though, so there won't be worms hatching all over her.

So as long as she's cooked to an internal temperature of 165F, the meat will be okay?

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
There's probably a sociological study to be had analyzing when different people thought it was necessary to specify when something is Chinese.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Robert_Eric_Wone

Still creepy as all get out.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Whiz Palace posted:

There's probably a sociological study to be had analyzing when different people thought it was necessary to specify when something is Chinese.

Well I mean yeah, it goes without saying that if there's a tribe that eats raw pork they must come from China.

No but really when stories like this come out it's interesting to know where it happened. I'm not sure why that's so controversial

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

What's creepy about it?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kaizoku posted:

Who is going to give a poo poo about a sign when they think you stole their phone? The sign just becomes a tacky part of your home that the HOA won't shut the gently caress up about.

Lol if you actually live in a loving HOA neighborhood

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

What's creepy about it?

It's a disturbing murder and it's hosed up they got acquitted when all the evidence pointed at them. The dude visiting was pretty obviously at least closeted gay himself and he had hosed up "friends" and they probably killed him and either raped or had sex with him beforehand. It's presented in a bit of a gay panic way at times but it's still an "unsolved" mysterious murder without a clear motive.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWeBunPiIzo
"My psychologist told me I can grow out of it, but I don't think so..." :radcat:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Nth Doctor posted:

"My psychologist told me I can grow out of it, but I don't think so..." :radcat:

Meow Meow Meow.

That's me saying "no way"

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Kinda reminds me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMUl6w1efXI

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nth Doctor posted:

I don't think that either of them have something called personality and that's why they do this instead.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Nth Doctor posted:

"I don't like water"

Yeah, she looks like the kind of person who would avoid bathing as much as possible.

Also :laffo: at 1:47 in the video. I'm pretty sure every cat on Earth would love to be able to stand up and open the door, but you go ahead and keep scratching at it you nutjob.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Nth Doctor posted:

This isn't scary, this is cute and cool. Good for her.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If she uses a kids sandbox filled with kitty litter that would be pretty creepy.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I mentioned it on the IoSM thread that she seems to want to imitate cat behaviour without understanding it. It's like someone watching a martial arts movie and thinking they know karate now. She wouldn't understand why I cat would hiss at a dog except she probably saw it happen once and that must be how cats act. Same with the meowing (cats are more likely to "communicate" through motions than meows) and such.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Madkal posted:

I mentioned it on the IoSM thread that she seems to want to imitate cat behaviour without understanding it. It's like someone watching a martial arts movie and thinking they know karate now. She wouldn't understand why I cat would hiss at a dog except she probably saw it happen once and that must be how cats act. Same with the meowing (cats are more likely to "communicate" through motions than meows) and such.

I agree.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Madkal posted:

Stuff like this happens a lot with young people new to therian and otherkin communities, like people who've decided their wolves talking about "packs" and stuff, but it's nice she's on a path of discovery for herself at all and hopefully she can work out the things she's confused about.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

WickedHate posted:

Stuff like this happens a lot with young people new to therian and otherkin communities, like people who've decided their wolves talking about "packs" and stuff, but it's nice she's on a path of discovery for herself at all and hopefully she can work out the things she's confused about.

Thinking she's a cat at all sounds like one of those confusing things she needs to figure out.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Solice Kirsk posted:

Thinking she's a cat at all sounds like one of those confusing things she needs to figure out.

Nah. If she's a cat, she's a cat.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

WickedHate posted:

Madkal posted:

Meow Meow Meow.

That's me saying "no way"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

WickedHate posted:

Nah, she ain't got the strut for that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEtbfzMLVWU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

You are speaking with noted pedophile apologist and everything your racist dad believes about the left, WickedHate.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
^^

You can generally assume that if someone uses the word 'therian' outside of the context of making fun of otherkin they're some sort of weirdo.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I wanna know how she dyes and styles her hair if she won't shower.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Her mom licks the dye out of her hair obviously. Just like a cat.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

WickedHate come on now, you know what happens when you post outside of BSS.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
This thread discusses on-air deaths on occasion, so it may interest you guys to know that both a documentary and a dramatized version of the Christine Chubbuck suicide premiered at Sundance this year, and hopefully one day to general release.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Seminary Student Sought Children Under 4 for Sexual Assault

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Must have been hoping for extra credit.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

As a dad with a 4 year old daughter and an infant daughter: gently caress this guy to no end. Have fun in prison you horrifying monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The messages people post online that they think are strictly between them and other monsters are creepy as hell. The gleeful way they talk about their real intent to do these things to children is so...what the gently caress? How can someone get to a point in their life where they're really that happy and satisfied being like that? Always a good thing when the FBI busts them before they can actually do any of it.