Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Yeah idk about not being a good place to visit. I went for a weekend trip over the summer and spent all two days in museums and had three good meals. Totally worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My dad is getting his treatment at MDA and over the summer they took my niece there and also visited NASA and the zoo and the aquarium and they had a blast.

Also we're pretty lucky as a state to have one of the top two cancer centers in the world right in our backyard, there are people that fly in from all over the world and have to temporarily live there for six months to a year. My mom told me she meets people who literally commute from Austin to Houston and back again in one day to get treatment. That's a good six hours or so on the road but for our backwards-rear end conservative playground of a state to have that is really lucky.

e: RIP Blue Virginia
https://twitter.com/JohnnieMo/status/918544357778636800

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 12, 2017

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

skipdogg posted:

Houston is a great place to visit. I live in SAT and we do 2 or 3 long weekend trips a year to Houston. NASA, Kemah, Childrens Museum, HMNS, all great places to visit. Even went to a Texans game and had a great time. The League City area is on our short list of places to move if we leave San Antonio

I will say that, our museum district is fantastic.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The HMNS should be a particular point of pride for the city and everyone living here. Especially the post renovation Paleontology wing. And if you are into that kind of thing, the Menil/Rothko Chapel are pretty unique draws as well.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The Rothko Chapel is incredible.

I wasn't super into the natural history museum TBH, the fossils are cool but the big corporate-sponsored section on how awesome fracking is turned me off.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
If they actually build the high speed rail between Dallas and Houston, that will be huge for both cities for development. Also it would finally be something Houston (and Dallas) could point to as making it world class.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lote posted:

If they actually build the high speed rail between Dallas and Houston, that will be huge for both cities for development. Also it would finally be something Houston (and Dallas) could point to as making it world class.

Good luck, with the reps from every district between the two cities doing everything they can to prevent it.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

The Rothko Chapel is incredible.
When I was in Houston for a day I made the time for it and yes

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Never forget.

https://houstonitsworthit.com

Badger of Basra posted:

Everything was inauthentic once and in 100 years people who just moved to Austin from Mars will be asking why the new arcology going up in Hutto can't be authentic like the Domain

The only people moving to Austin in 100 years will be Shanghaiese asking themselves whether US outsourcing is really worth the low wages and declining living standards for expats.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

gently caress off George P

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Lote posted:

zoux posted:

Good luck, with the reps from every district between the two cities doing everything they can to prevent it.

There are also countless NIMBYs in both cities, I remember going to packed meetings in the GOOF in Houston and people were absolutely losing their minds about a high speed rail that, IIRC, at the time would have been using the same right of way as the BNSF railway.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Back Hack posted:

I will say that, our museum district is fantastic.

I think it's a perspective thing of living in the city. My wife's Aunt and Uncle are planning a trip to San Antonio next year for a week and I was all "Why? What the hell are they going to do here for a week?", but then I realized there's tons of touristy stuff to do here, but we never do it because we live here. I've lived here over 10 years now and I never go to the river walk, rarely visit Market Square, have never been to Six Flags, and have only visited SeaWorld once. There's the Alamo, the various Missions, there is the HIll Country to visit, the zoo is decent, the Witte finished it's recent expansion, the Pearl brewery area is hopping these days and Austin is only 90 minutes away.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm pretty sure SA is technically the biggest tourist draw in the state.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

skipdogg posted:

I think it's a perspective thing of living in the city. My wife's Aunt and Uncle are planning a trip to San Antonio next year for a week and I was all "Why? What the hell are they going to do here for a week?", but then I realized there's tons of touristy stuff to do here, but we never do it because we live here. I've lived here over 10 years now and I never go to the river walk, rarely visit Market Square, have never been to Six Flags, and have only visited SeaWorld once. There's the Alamo, the various Missions, there is the HIll Country to visit, the zoo is decent, the Witte finished it's recent expansion, the Pearl brewery area is hopping these days and Austin is only 90 minutes away.

It's such a shame that San Antonio is rebelling against its "Keep San Antonio lame" movement.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

zoux posted:

It is.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

zoux posted:

I thought it was the outlet malls in San Marcos? I heard something a while ago that more people come to visit the outlets than anything else in Texas.

I wish I was joking

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

skipdogg posted:

I thought it was the outlet malls in San Marcos? I heard something a while ago that more people come to visit the outlets than anything else in Texas.

I wish I was joking

I'm getting a job at the Amazon Warehouse down there (old job laid me off, Amazon's requirements for getting hired are "can you fill out an I9, put on pants for the interview, and are aware you're going into the busiest part of the year") and between the exit to I-35 and the next exit to the north there are not one, not two but FOUR Mattress Firms, 2 on each side of the highway. There's literally a pair on opposite sides of a Panera Bread within site of each other (in separate buildings, but the only building between them is said Panera Bread).

The strip/outlet malls in San Marcos are insane.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I thought the only reason San Marcos existed was Schlitterbahn. People go there to shop?

I've mostly only seen the northward expansion of Austin over the past few years, which is pretty dramatic. Can you go south from Austin on I-35 and never see a break in the roadside retail all the way to San Antonio yet?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

litany of gulps posted:

I thought the only reason San Marcos existed was Schlitterbahn.

Floating the river too

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

litany of gulps posted:

I thought the only reason San Marcos existed was Schlitterbahn. People go there to shop?

Uhh yeah, there's a huge Tanger and huge Premium outlet mall there divided by Centerpoint Rd It's huge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Marcos_Outlet_Malls

quote:

I've mostly only seen the northward expansion of Austin over the past few years, which is pretty dramatic. Can you go south from Austin on I-35 and never see a break in the roadside retail all the way to San Antonio yet?

Not yet, there's still a break north and south of San Marcos, and a small one between SAT and New Braunfels, but not much. Another 10 to 20 years and I expect the corridor to be solid all the way from 1604/I35 to Austin and beyond. The Austin area expands pretty far south if you want to count Kyle as part of the metro Area. In 30 to 50 years San Antonio and Austin will probably form a giant MSA of 6+ Million people.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Also, Gil's Broiler. Ate hundreds of Manske rolls in college.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

skipdogg posted:

In 30 to 50 years San Antonio and Austin will probably form a giant MSA of 6+ Million people.

Somehow you still won't be able to drive east/west in Austin easily.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

litany of gulps posted:

Schlitterbahn is in new braunfels

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

jaegerx posted:

Damnit I was itching to say that.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Aquarena Springs is the best reason to visit San Marcos.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

jaegerx posted:

Yeah, I guess that's true. So the only reason San Marcos exists is to try and lure people going to Schlitterbahn or San Antonio into stopping at an outlet mall. Also as a repository for people that couldn't get into a good public university.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Hey man, that is more than a lot of places have got going for them.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Good soup! posted:

I worked in news for years in Houston. Speaking from personal experience I have met a ton of representatives, city officials, and plenty of Houstonians that think this way, particularly with how projects like Bayou Greenways 2020 and the Memorial Park Master Plan are framed. The latter in particular was interesting, as a number of officials I spoke with were constantly invoking Central Park in NYC, which, while not necessarily a bad thing to do and falls in line with a lot of PR buzzwords to get people to understand the scope of the project, rubbed me the wrong way. My thinking is - you've got a prime opportunity to do something awesome with a "by Houstonians, for Houstonians," vibe to it, stop trying to compare yourselves to a place like NYC because, no disrespect, there is absolutely no contest.

I think with the way the flood control officials have handled things, clearly. :v: (kidding)

I'm aware of the plans that have been put forth and they sound cool, but christ, there have gotta be better historical hills to die on, IMO. Was there even a championship or anything notable won there?

In my experience, I've run into a lot of people that will fall over themselves to defend the massive sprawl as part of the city's personality or just the way things are. Perhaps I just ran into a constant stream of dumb people of all ages from covering the city for six years, but there are a lot of people I've talked to that don't even have that on their radar of things the city needs to get under control.

Seeing more high rises go up in downtown and midtown, along with the businesses and offices moving in with them, is definitely promising and a step in the right direction, but the high rent prices and gentrification in some areas may be hurting more than helping but that's everywhere.

I think I'm remembering the moment I was soured on things like this.

Years ago, Mayor Annise Parker made a visit to a neighborhood group in the Heights. It was a big meeting, lots of people, there were a bunch of HOA's and a few other groups there (may have been the Super Neighborhood from that area, 22 I think? Could be wrong). An older woman took the mic during the Q&A and started talking about public transportation, she said she had the privilege of living in a bunch of places throughout the world, France I think, New York, and maybe another before settling with her extended family in Houston. She expressed disappointment with the light rail and the buses, a feeling that was shared by many in attendance who were nodding and such, and she wasn't hostile or anything about it.

Parker's response was weird - she just instantly takes back the mic, not snatching it or anything just with a bit of a stern grab, and proceeds to spend the next few minutes telling this woman that she was wrong. Parker said something along the lines of "I've been to places all over the world, etc etc" and she says "I can assure you, we have a great bus system, our trains are great," and so on. Not "oh I see, I'm sorry to hear that, but we are working to do this and this" like canned PR type thing, just that the woman was 100 percent wrong and just hand waving through any criticism.

At the time, I was a bit infuriated, I have to admit. Being an advocate for your city and staying positive is one thing, but being so willfully loving dense that you can't admit that your system has massive shortcomings and doesn't even do a great job of helping people who live closer to the city? If you're gonna be defensive, fine, whatever but gott drat at least admit the city has a long loving way to go because of lovely policies that were allowed to fester - something that can be applied to plenty of other cities.

fake edit: I think my cynicism has more to do with Texas and it's garbage state politics and me getting closer to finally relocating back to the northeast, because even though it may not sound like it I've enjoyed my time in Houston and I've had some great experiences here

It could be worse. You could pull a page out of the Baytown playbook and sandwich every god drat thing ever onto one small 2 lane road sandwiched between I10 and 146. For such a small town on the very outskirts of the city this place is entirely too much of a bitch to get around.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

litany of gulps posted:

Yeah, I guess that's true. So the only reason San Marcos exists is to try and lure people going to Schlitterbahn or San Antonio into stopping at an outlet mall. Also as a repository for people that couldn't get into a good public university.

San Marcos is the only place where I’ve smoked weed and played chess with a dude who literally lived in a tent by the river so its entire existence is justified imo

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Marxalot posted:

It could be worse. You could pull a page out of the Baytown playbook and sandwich every god drat thing ever onto one small 2 lane road sandwiched between I10 and 146. For such a small town on the very outskirts of the city this place is entirely too much of a bitch to get around.

Jesus that sounds terrible

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
That idiot that was mayor of Corpus Christie for 37 days is raising money to run against Ted Cruz in the primary.
https://www.texastribune.org/2017/10/16/former-corpus-christi-mayor-tries-essay-and-rib-contest-fund-senate-ru/

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Spacebump posted:

That idiot that was mayor of Corpus Christie for 37 days is raising money to run against Ted Cruz in the primary.
https://www.texastribune.org/2017/10/16/former-corpus-christi-mayor-tries-essay-and-rib-contest-fund-senate-ru/

Doubtful he'd be worse, and probably more likeable for the month he'd last as a Senator before quitting. At least the special election afterwards would be a circus.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Spacebump posted:

It's funny because usually dumb publicity stunts serve to make the grifter money but I can't see how he's going to get any from this.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Badger of Basra posted:

It's funny because usually dumb publicity stunts serve to make the grifter money but I can't see how he's going to get any from this.

He claims the building is worth 500k, but it's been appraised at 140k, and he says he'll cancel the contest if he gets fewer than 1500 entries (1500x $250=$375k). So if everything goes his way he's getting almost three times the building's value while telling the marks it's worth five times what it'd actually go for. Pretty classic con.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

lmao at the editor of *Breitbart Texas* getting hissy that someone called him a moron

https://twitter.com/brandondarby/status/920478557012455425

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Donald Trump Jr. is coming to the UNT campus to speak on the 24th or 25th. Can't remember. Local papers are not allowed in (of course).

I wonder if I should protest...

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Paul Ryan was down here in the Valley yesterday and went to a doctor owned hospital to have some kind of meeting or speech, two hours later guy was flown out. Rumors have him trying to gain fundraisers from local conservative Democrats and Republicans. Mainly probably from Cantu Construction which pretty much own that hospital, a local bank chain and a poo poo load of properties.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Aquarena Springs is the best reason to visit San Marcos.

Aquarena Springs closed ages ago, I thought. Like the late 80s or maybe 90s or some poo poo. I remember going when I was a wean though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've lived in and around Austin for 20 years now and I've never been to San Marcos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

zoux posted:

I've lived in and around Austin for 20 years now and I've never been to San Marcos.

You should, it's a nice town to drive through. It's downtown is kinda quaint.