Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Covok posted:

Hey, is Leviathan any good? Somebody pimped it in F&F when we were talking about Beast and it got me interested.

Ehhhhhhh.

It's probably the best, most fleshed out high-profile fansplat there is, but that's not exactly a hard bar to limbo under.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

So apparently I'm blind to the faults of Geist: Sin Eaters, thanks to not having played it but plotting out a party interlocked character that I'm still bummed I didn't get to run. So what are they?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Nomadic Scholar posted:

So apparently I'm blind to the faults of Geist: Sin Eaters, thanks to not having played it but plotting out a party interlocked character that I'm still bummed I didn't get to run. So what are they?

Mostly, the condition of being a Bound doesn't really create that much drama unless you actively seek it out. You can see ghosts, and that's really the only thing you have to do.

Also, unlike every other game, you don't actually play the creature in the title, so it's difficult to talk about the protagonists because they aren't geists and they aren't always sin-eaters.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

There's no gothic horror element, no sense that you are the monster or have the "Burden of knowledge" in Mage and Hunter. Your Geist can't influence your actions, you don't repel your family or friends, unless your workplace is haunted there's nothing interfering with having a job, etc.

Geist feels like it was denied necessary play-testing and development because of the recession, and is desperately in need of a 2nd Edition.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Daeren posted:

Ehhhhhhh.

It's probably the best, most fleshed out high-profile fansplat there is, but that's not exactly a hard bar to limbo under.

So, better than some official books, but worse than others?

Also, I've just started playing Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines. How accurate is that game to an actual game of Vampire?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

A CRPG and a tabletop RPG are two very different things. CRPGs are more rigid (this can be good or bad) and are typically much more combat-heavy than tabletop, and that's the case with VtMB. That said, Bloodlines nails the WoD atmosphere (which makes me want to play WoD) and vampiric politics (which makes me not want to play Vampire) better than it has any right to. It's also just a really loving good CRPG with three incredibly variant branches (Nosferatu, Malkavian, and all the other clans). Exceptionally well-plotted, too.

That said you will become unable to be satisfied by anything less than a stellar Malkavian player in a tabletop game.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 12, 2016

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Geist would have been a better game for a number of reasons. For one, there's no inherent conflict (no obvious Bad Guy). I think the game wanted you to play a possessed person burdened by the desires of an alien creature but instead there's really no downside to being a Sin Eater; your Geist is present and there's even a game trait that's supposed to relate how closely aligned the two minds are (Synergy) but it doesn't actually do that when you read the rules. This would probably be forgivable on its own but the various powers Sin Eaters have access to vary from the gamebreakingly hilarious to the near-useless to a degree that is hard to salvage.

It is a very neat idea with some cool mechanics simmering under the surface. But it's mired by a lack of direction and conflict.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Basic Chunnel posted:

A CRPG and a tabletop RPG are two very different things. CRPGs are more rigid (this can be good or bad) and are typically much more combat-heavy than tabletop, and that's the case with VtMB. That said, Bloodlines nails the WoD atmosphere (which makes me want to play WoD) and vampiric politics (which makes me not want to play Vampire) better than it has any right to. It's also just a really loving good CRPG with three incredibly variant branches (Nosferatu, Malkavian, and all the other clans). Exceptionally well-plotted, too.

That said you will become unable to be satisfied by anything less than a stellar Malkavian player in a tabletop game.

Great voice acting and great NPCs. I stole Gary for my short-lived New Wave Requiem game set in LA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfT7Bj0Zk7w

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Bloodlines is basically Masquerade in its ideal state. Discovering a weird, horrific world as someone who never asked to be part of it and despite being seemingly insignificant, being pulled in a thousand and one directions at once by everyone with any seniority over you.

Also, the PC in Bloodlines actually gets poo poo done and has plenty of agency, despite the feeling of being a pawn.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

it's oWoD as hell in the sense that basically everything in the game is preordained

It's rough to be a person who gets really into the notion of RPGs through video games and then moves to tabletop. They even call it the "Storyteller System", which is misleading - it implies a level of control that you won't have, if the game is any good. Woe betide the nerds who play Bloodlines, come up with their own slow-building dread mystery, and try to produce make it happen with their friends. The game either ends up differently than you envisioned, or it ends up boring.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 12, 2016

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Wait you weren't supposed to make a geist that could be perceived as a historical horror amalgamation to others and auditory hallucinations to yourself? Whoops.

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

The handful of times I've run Geist, I replaced all the 'use your powers' rolls with a straight Synergy roll, since it's not really your powers that you're using.

I also made a point of having Weird Underworld poo poo seek them out for various things - one of the campaigns that actually finished involved the manipulations of the Deathlords First and Forsaken Lion, trying to get them to start a war between the Diamond Orders and the local vampire court that would have ended with the entire city being turned into a shadowland, and the Boddhisatva Drowned in Dark Waters, whose plan involved them setting up a death cult franchise in their local city to achieve the same result, albeit a bit less explosively.

(For those familiar with White Wolf's Exalted line, this isn't an accident - that campaign was a follow-up to an Exalted campaign that ended with the PCs trying to destroy the Neverborn by reworking their 'anchor' - all of reality - into a vastly different configuration, i.e, the New World of Darkness. The God-Machine also made an appearance as the sickly, dying Autocthon desperately trying to siphon off enough Essence from this new reality to survive.) The Geists in this campaign were what the Abyssal Exaltations became, now that nobody was cleaning them off properly between incarnations - they started to develop distinct 'personalities' and were an active force in the campaign. I also cribbed from Wraith for this one, in that each PC had a geist played by another player at the table, chosen at chargen.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Rand Brittain posted:

Mostly, the condition of being a Bound doesn't really create that much drama unless you actively seek it out. You can see ghosts, and that's really the only thing you have to do.

Well, Stand users are drawn together by fate, so there's your conflict right there.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Geist tends to be my go-to-game for "This could be a hunter pitch, but it's really ghost focused so let's do a Sin-eater thing with it instead." Like "There's a secret circle of Tim Powers "Fault Lines trilogy" -style Ghost Huffers keeping themselves young by inhaling ghosts trapped in bottles." could be a Hunter or a Sin-eater antagonist, but Sin-eaters have a much stronger motive to go after people literally eating ghosts to stay young forever.

Edit: Also it seems like half the "Immortals" blue book would be natural Sin-eater antagonists given the whole vague "Sin-eaters go after Abmortals" thing. Blood Bathers and Body thieves, especially.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Apr 12, 2016

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sin-eater powers are also wildly variant in power, but usually quite high on the scale, and the chargen rules are littered across a chapter and a half - did you know that all sin-eaters automatically get like a three-dot version of one of their power-boosting relics free? It's in the rules...a chapter away from the rest of chargen.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Basic Chunnel posted:

Is Nosferatu really all that different? I've taken one as far as Hollywood, and the only thing that really jumped out at me was that not being able to go close to pedestrians gets real annoying real fast. Flavorful, but annoying. Well, that and the lady at the diner who faints when you try to talk to her, but mostly the difference is just every conversation starting with "WHOA! You are UGLY!" and then the game continues as normal.

Then again, i suppose that's only one or two steps removed from the Malkavian experience. Pretty much all these differences are cosmetic, anyhow; Bloodlines is, as you implied, very good at creating the illusion of choice without actually giving you any. That's not a bad thing, mind. It's actually a very good way to make a game with a small budget and limited scope feel huge and expansive.

Man, Malkavians though. Somebody once told me "I think you could pull off a Malkavian", and that's probably the nicest backhanded compliment I ever got. I've been wanting to put that assertion to the test for years, but none of my friends were ever into WoD and I only discovered the concept of playing with strangers like last month.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Covok posted:

So, better than some official books, but worse than others?
Better than Beast, possibly better than Geist depending on what you're comparing, but I wouldn't put it above anything else.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Well, Stand users are drawn together by fate, so there's your conflict right there.

You could also go the Persona route, using the Krewe system to make the Velvet Room.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

You could also go the Persona route, using the Krewe system to make the Velvet Room.

Why not both?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I've gone into my Geist Problems at length before but at the end of the day I feel like it boils down to two things:
1. Almost any story you can tell with Geist you can tell with any other game (struggling with an inner monster = Vampire, Werewolf, Promethean to an extent, even Hunter if you're being figurative instead of literal; isolation as a condition of being not-right-anymore = Changeling especially but any of them kinda; the aforementioned "could be a hunter pitch, with ghosts" situation).
2. If I start thinking about mechanical impact for the Geist itself for any length of time I start thinking about reworking/reflavoring Better Angels and/or Monsters and Other Childish Things instead and at that point I just want to play a different system instead of trying to shoehorn it into the Storyteller(ing?) mechanical framework.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Yawgmoth posted:

Better than Beast, possibly better than Geist depending on what you're comparing, but I wouldn't put it above anything else.

What's wrong with it, exactly? It's one of those things where I like the concept so much I become blind to the problems in the execution.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

paradoxGentleman posted:

What's wrong with it, exactly? It's one of those things where I like the concept so much I become blind to the problems in the execution.
I haven't looked at it in a long long time so I'd have to go back and read it again for specifics, but from what I recall it's the same kind of problems all the fan splats have of being weirdly fiddly to no benefit in some places, being sort of bland in places you'd expect it to really pop, and so on. It's definitely the best among fan splats, though!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Huh, my first run from a long time ago I never played was Nosferatu (having to hide got annoying) and my current is Malkavian. Both as a result of that personality test.

Anyway,

Basic Chunnel posted:

it's oWoD as hell in the sense that basically everything in the game is preordained

It's rough to be a person who gets really into the notion of RPGs through video games and then moves to tabletop. They even call it the "Storyteller System", which is misleading - it implies a level of control that you won't have, if the game is any good. Woe betide the nerds who play Bloodlines, come up with their own slow-building dread mystery, and try to produce make it happen with their friends. The game either ends up differently than you envisioned, or it ends up boring.

I've been in the trpg scene for a while so I know how quazy players get and how planning is a fool's effort. So, I know not to think it will work exactly like the game, but I was just wondering if the trpg rules are actually good at reinforcing that experience. My IRL friend makes a lot of jokes that, for a horror system, you can easily use it for superheroes (obviously, an exaggeration) and many have commented that it's too focused on simulating reality that it doesn't do a good enough job simulating the meta-narrative of its genre.

I have only ever played one session of core Chronicles of Darkness (then, New World of Darkness) in a no supernatural character's game, but it got zany fast due to the other players so it might not be the best introduction. Not that I'm a spoil sport over being wacky, but it doesn't seem like this is the system for that.

Anyway, to summarize the rant, do the rules encourage the kind of gameplay seen in bloodlines or is it a mishmash, ignoring players?

Yawgmoth posted:

Gotcha. Assuming it's only being compared to CoD here.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Terrorforge posted:

Is Nosferatu really all that different? I've taken one as far as Hollywood, and the only thing that really jumped out at me was that not being able to go close to pedestrians gets real annoying real fast. Flavorful, but annoying. Well, that and the lady at the diner who faints when you try to talk to her, but mostly the difference is just every conversation starting with "WHOA! You are UGLY!" and then the game continues as normal.

Then again, i suppose that's only one or two steps removed from the Malkavian experience. Pretty much all these differences are cosmetic, anyhow; Bloodlines is, as you implied, very good at creating the illusion of choice without actually giving you any. That's not a bad thing, mind. It's actually a very good way to make a game with a small budget and limited scope feel huge and expansive.

Man, Malkavians though. Somebody once told me "I think you could pull off a Malkavian", and that's probably the nicest backhanded compliment I ever got. I've been wanting to put that assertion to the test for years, but none of my friends were ever into WoD and I only discovered the concept of playing with strangers like last month.
Nossies are the most different in mechanical terms - Malks probably have a little more in terms of "oh, you're a Malkavian" dialogue but Nosferatu actually play differently to a pretty significant degree - the sewer maps were made more or less entirely for them, and they not only have different dialogues for most if not all non-vendor humans, there are some alterations to quest structure as well. Nossies can't get Venus' quest in downtown til they complete Fat Larry's errand, for example, and you can't lean on any of the tricks that the crooked cop on the Elizabeth Dane allows everyone else.

Covok posted:

Anyway, to summarize the rant, do the rules encourage the kind of gameplay seen in bloodlines or is it a mishmash, ignoring players?
I'd say they're appreciably different, if not just for the fact that you have many more skills and disciplines and are usually playing in a group rather than solo. Idk if this answers your question, but Bloodlines differs substantially from the spirit of WoD-as-played in that, as Night10194 suggests, there is a power curve that is particular to CRPGs.

WoD as a rule is typically focused on making you feel insignificant (such that, in Lovecraftian fashion, the protagonists snatch costly victories from the jaws of defeat, and even then the victories don't really matter much), and more importantly, make power a significant burden (if you're not murdered before you gain it, which is highly likely) - it makes you a bigger target for big and small fish alike, you need more fuel and resources to maintain yourself, and with the WoD being fundamentally corrupt, you end up losing your sense of self if you survive. In that respect, no, the rules don't encourage Bloodlines gameplay.

It's not impossible, though. Even if the typical Vampire game's players are the mooks who stake and capture the Childe rather than the Childe herself, there's no reason a GM can't disregard the themes of the universe even more than Bloodlines does (it doesn't look like a typical Vampire game, but it draws inside the lines.). Most aspects of the setting are meant to discourage balls-out, risky power gaming as there are forces both within and without monstrous society who will swiftly crush anyone who's the least bit cavalier (this includes most kinds of overt violence). The game tends to encourage the consideration of consequences beyond Bloodlines' "five strikes" Masquerade bar. You can't dig yourself out of the WoD, you only dig deeper and get more lost.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 12, 2016

Covok
May 27, 2013

So, basically, normal World and Chronicles of Darkness play is a lot more nihilistic than Bloodlines.

Outside of WoD/CoD Vampire and Werewolf, and CoD Changeling, what are the other good WoD and CoD game lines?

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009
Mage: the Awakening is the best gameline.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Berkshire Hunts posted:

That WoD or CoD?

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Demon the Descent is hands down my favorite line. It also helps that it was one of the few books where I'd read it and not "OH GOD I HAVE TO FIX ALL THIS" like I do with most other books.

Covok posted:

That WoD or CoD?

That's CoD. Ascension if WoD.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Berkshire Hunts posted:

I would argue for base nWoD/Hunter as up there too.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Covok posted:

So, basically, normal World and Chronicles of Darkness play is a lot more nihilistic than Bloodlines.

That's the idea, certainly, but different playgroups adhere to that premise with different amounts of fidelity. Some people go all-in on personal horror, some people eat the gonzo poo poo up, and most games are going to have some of both. We all played Bloodlines too.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm not sure nihilistic is the right word to use. Sure, you (by default) probably aren't going to defeat all evil, destroy the God-Machine, unmake the Exarchs, destroy all vampires and so on.

But you absolutely can make life better for those you know, or even for humanity at large. And in many ways, that's really what the WoD cares about. I would say it's more existentialist than nihilistic, in that sense. Sure, there's no overarching purpose to everything. Sure, you can't solve every problem. Sure, there's no great power watching out for humanity, for your friends or for you.

So you do that yourself, and make life a little better.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Also, no matter what else you do, take the Huge perk, the Second rank of Striking Looks and wrestling/brawling. If you're not making Zangiefesque characters regardless of gameline you're missing out. Nothing says serious politicking like the ripped pecs guy in Elysium who nobody ever asks to put on a shirt/muscle wizard/pretty-boy Frankenstein. Basically, if you want to make a Jojo game, give your players Striking Looks and Huge for free.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Oh poo poo, Leonard "Lenny Boy" Boyarski just jumped ship as art director of Blizzard to join Obsidian.

For those who don't know, Obsidian employs Tim Cain, who was one of the three principals behind Bloodlines, along with Cain. Obsidian has a strong relationship with Paradox, who now own White Wolf outright.
http://www.pcgamesn.com/vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines/sequel-bloodlines-2

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
It's more than that- Boyarsky, Cain, and Jason Anderson were Black Isle employees who founded Troika (makers of Bloodlines) together when Black Isle was closed. Boyarsky himself was heavily involved in Bloodlines.

Jason Anderson's (the third Troika guy) at Turtle Rock, and Brian Mitsoda's still at DoubleBear.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Mitsoda was at Obsidian too for a short while, but his work never directly made it into a shipped product afaik. I don't think he has fond memories.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

I somehow missed the fact that Troika consisted of ex-Black Isle people. Bloodlines 2 or not I'm pretty psyched, because it seems like everything those people touch turns to gold.

Buggy, buggy gold.

Also, this discussion reminded me that White Wolf's new offices are pretty close to me and I saw a job posting for an editor a while back so I went looking for it. I found Paradox's career plaza, which included brief bios of the three current head honchos at White Wolf; the CEO, the Chief Editor and the Lead Storyteller.

The Lead Storyteller looks like this:

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
To be fair, that's him posing as dracula for OPP.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Terrorforge posted:

The Lead Storyteller looks like this:

I always wondered what happened to Thorin after The Hobbit.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

That's actually kind of disappointing. I was hoping they'd hired a full-time Goth Rasputin to be in charge of the story because frankly, "is Goth Rasputin" seems like exactly the kind of qualification you want to see on a WoD developer's CV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Keep in mind that his hair looks like that all the time, he just had to put on a costume.

I mean, there's a reason they picked that dude to pose for Dracula, and he's a longtime LARPer.