Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Image keeps a hell of a lot less of a creator's profits than marvel or DC, though. So they have to sell a lot less to make the same amount they would at the big 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
After all these years, how is DC still falling into these "make the absolute worst decision they could possibly make in a given situation" traps?

I'll be following de Liz anywhere, but it's just absurd that she's getting kicked off a series that was perfect for her, for the character, and for the company.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Honestly if DC has any good sense, they'll offer her the Wonder Woman job once Rucka leaves instead of the rumors of Cho getting it. Only then could I understand them cancelling her book out of nowhere, while she was in the middle of working on it for months now.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mark Waid reportedly doing an Archie/Batman crossover.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/12/16/batman-66-meets-archie-betty-and-veronica-and-harley/

lotus circle posted:

Honestly if DC has any good sense, they'll offer her the Wonder Woman job once Rucka leaves instead of the rumors of Cho getting it.

Margaret Bennett's also owed a run.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 16, 2016

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The Cho "rumors" are nonsense started by Cho and no one else please stop pretending that's even a real fake thing

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Not saying it's right, but I could definitely see higher-ups getting sick enough of de Liz and her partner/collaborator openly dumping on seemingly all other WW projects (justified or not.)

Probably not the choice of any actual editors working with them.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 16, 2016

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

People are still waiting for the Jughead/Wolverine crossover and they give us this? Madness!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Margaret Bennett's also owed a run.

No thanks. I've yet to really love anything she's done.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

But y'know what would've happened if DC just ignored the couple's complaints? Nothing at all. No one would've cared. I'm guessing around 2% of their readers, and that's a very generous estimate, even knew anything about the tweets at all. At absolute worst, Dillon comes across as just another disgruntled artist grumbling to the wind.

Y'know what's gonna happen now that they've made a big public show of firing the couple while they were working on a well-selling, well-regarded series? Everyone's going to point a giant magnifying glass on each and every little tweet in exact precise detail, lighting them up and picking sides and picking nits and blowing the situation up ten times more than it would've been, and every single conclusion -- warranted or not -- is going to paint DC as the unscrupulous company who still, after years and years, can't treat their talent properly.

Meanwhile, Grievoux's new book is just going to have negative publicity attached to it for its whole run and unfairly juxtaposed with de Liz's already critically-acclaimed series.

No one wins here. Like I'm still flabbergasted that DC managed to find and take the one path where there is absolutely no up-side.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

X-O posted:

No thanks. I've yet to really love anything she's done.

I refuse to believe 2017 Batwoman wont be the best thing in the world.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BrianWilly posted:

But y'know what would've happened if DC just ignored the couple's complaints? Nothing at all. No one would've cared. I'm guessing around 2% of their readers, and that's a very generous estimate, even knew anything about the tweets at all. At absolute worst, Dillon comes across as just another disgruntled artist grumbling to the wind.

Y'know what's gonna happen now that they've made a big public show of firing the couple while they were working on a well-selling, well-regarded series? Everyone's going to point a giant magnifying glass on each and every little tweet in exact precise detail, lighting them up and picking sides and picking nits and blowing the situation up ten times more than it would've been, and every single conclusion -- warranted or not -- is going to paint DC as the unscrupulous company who still, after years and years, can't treat their talent properly.

Meanwhile, Grievoux's new book is just going to have negative publicity attached to it for its whole run and unfairly juxtaposed with de Liz's already critically-acclaimed series.

No one wins here. Like I'm still flabbergasted that DC managed to find and take the one path where there is absolutely no up-side.

Never underestimate the pettiness of DC management.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I refuse to believe 2017 Batwoman wont be the best thing in the world.

I'll really need to be convinced. She's a writer I've wanted to like because she's been on a few books I really wanted to like, but unfortunately they've all been forgettable and middling.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Looks like IDW and Marvel have both reached out in some way to Renae and Ray.

https://twitter.com/RayDillon/status/809846352591093761

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Right now I could really go for an altu legend of captain marvel, get on it guys

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

site posted:

Right now I could really go for an altu legend of captain marvel, get on it guys

I wouldn't wish that on any creator I liked for a while . Bendis' character assassination needs to wear off a little.

e: We're talking about them at Marvel, right? I forgot about Shazam's real name for a second.

Agreed on Shazam anyway. It's criminal that he hasn't had a series this whole time.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 17, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Actually, they might be good on a Captain America project. Gives them a head start as they're used to drawing WW2 period stuff, and it would fit some of the tone. Or maybe a Golden Age Miss America?

IDW may just be offering to publish an original project, because I'm not sure if they'd fit into the Hasbroverse stuff. Actually, I would've figured Boom would've been first at the door after the publicity, as de Liz's style is right in their wheel house

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
BOOM apparently pays pennies to creators though.

Anyway good for the couple. DC is going to regret such a boneheaded move. Not even touching upon employer relations, firing someone right before the holidays is never a good PR move.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm betting that DC management probably thought firing a newly pregnant woman just doesn't deliver the same message if you wait until after the holidays. Gotta make sure you send the strongest message possible so other creators don't get mouthy you know.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I mean is it true she was publicly bad-mouthing the work of colleagues on social media? That would certainly be, if not a firable offense, an hr intervention in my job.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

greatn posted:

I mean is it true she was publicly bad-mouthing the work of colleagues on social media? That would certainly be, if not a firable offense, an hr intervention in my job.

That might be remotely a valid answer if we didn't have plenty of other creators say far worse on social media without so much as a slap on the wrist.

A reminder that we've had creators go on literal racist tirades, sexually abuse others, and actively attack people and companies loudly over social media without anything happening.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

greatn posted:

But in actual answer to your question. Yes.

And it is abundantly clear that this is a political move from DC. Especially as more things come to light. I doubt this is what she was expecting.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

That might be remotely a valid answer if we didn't have plenty of other creators say far worse on social media without so much as a slap on the wrist.

A reminder that we've had creators go on literal racist tirades, sexually abuse others, and actively attack people and companies loudly over social media without anything happening.

They should all be fired probably.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ImpAtom posted:

Peter David literally went on a racist tirade about Roma at a panel.

Nothing happened.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/12/16/the-mary-sue-article-that-killed-wonder-woman/ sounds like Dillion being a giant crybaby was the problem.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Yeah from the looks of it Dillon basically hosed everything up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So Mark Waid is writing the Archie-published crossover book and not actually directly working for DC again.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

We all know he'd write a Superman book if he was offered. DC is the ex wife he still has feelings for.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

We all know he'd write a Superman book if he was offered. DC is the ex wife he still has feelings for.

True. He'd be fired/walk off by the third issue though.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

You know I feel bad for Renae for basically getting hosed over by her artists poo poo

But don't ever say poo poo like this to someone.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

...Who is that? What does she have to do with any of this?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

BrianWilly posted:

ray sonne is the artist my dude

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

ray sonne is the artist my dude
Artist of what? I'm googling her and getting nothing here.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
wat

no

ray dillion is the artist

onmi got confused and then also confused me

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

wat

no

ray dillion is the artist

onmi got confused and then also confused me

No no I was referring to fan responses, I realize fans can get passionate about things, but, that's incredibly disrespectful to artists/writers is what I'm saying.

Dillons tweets and such are in the bleeding cool article or, mostly, deleted

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

To make it clearer, Kevin is the writer of the Amazons origin comic that we're getting. Because of recent events, people are seeing Tweets of De Liz being disappointed that this got the greenlight over her own Amazons comic pitch and now he's apparently getting attacked.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Dec 17, 2016

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Then I'm the only person who got confused!

I'm the idiot! Me! Meeee!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Blockhouse posted:

Then I'm the only person who got confused!

I'm the idiot! Me! Meeee!

DC is still the idiot in all this

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Like, on the one hand, he's being critical, and I get that in theory you should play ball and not say anything if you can't say anything nice (which I feel is absurd and kills any credibility when they DO praise stuff, but hey), but that all looks like fairly reasonable criticism. The way you're talking it's like he was cussing them out when he basically said "huh, this is similar to an idea we pitched, that's interesting" and had a lot of the same issues with WW: Earth 1 that others, including me, had (ie: Morrison's inability to realise that characters and properties can evolve past the original conception).

Though I almost think they might've tried to sack HIM and had the bizarre notion that she would stay on. "Hey, sorry we sacked your hubby, but would you carry on? We've got a great collaborator for you, Korean guy, maybe you know him, Frank Ch-" "gently caress YOU"

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 17, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nothing Ray Dillon said there was worthy of a spite cancellation, which is what this was. Also he wasn't the artist on the book, Renae drew it. He did the colors and the letters.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
For some reason I thought he was her inker as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm going off memory so that's possible. I know she drew it and he did the colors though because I remember thinking how well the color complimented the art and making a note of who did what.