Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Did not see Nadia and Keith Courage coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The lack of Unicorn makes me wonder what's going to happen with Bright, since Ken Narita's performance is kind of locked to Unicorn's license. Recycled audio from Alpha 3, I guess?

Also, please let Steer go all out with the Engrish during the Megafauna's attacks. Thanks in advance.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Getsuya posted:

Piece of junk. Stupid Amazon.co.jp sellers won't sell me their cards in America. Even the fulfilled by Amazon ones.

What you can do is use an Amazon Japan re-directing service like Tenso.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The thread title changed!

Also I read a confirmation that this takes place in another world and the characters are all summoned to, so it should be a different deal than anything so far. Maybe odd one-off games like this really are the future of SRW...

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
V’s roster is already feeling a little bloated and I’m only at stage 15. At least in the squad games you could use the squadies, but in this I can only assume they’re in there for series fans who want to field every character from their favorite show. I can’t see any reason to not just field main characters.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

It seems weird to me that they would include Buddy Complex in a game without some sort of squad/partner system.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Ethiser posted:

It seems weird to me that they would include Buddy Complex in a game without some sort of squad/partner system.

Being buddies was too complex.

:dadjoke:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
They'll probably have some kind of paired skills or bonus for staying together or something, because that was executed so well with Gimmy/Darry and the Excellance twins.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Getsuya posted:

I can’t see any reason to not just field main characters.
because you like the other characters more than the main characters.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

This. For me part of the fun is mixing up what units I use. Sometimes I units that are objectively poo poo because screw it I like them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

Also some of the non-main characters are exceptionally good units. It's mostly the Cross Ange folks who kinda get screwed to be honest. Even the UC people can largely be shoved into a higher-end Gundam to keep functional.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Putting aside the "you could probably use the most terrible characters and still win the game" statement...

The support characters are usually the ones carrying the good support Spirits like Bless, and those are generally more helpful in your last few slots than bringing along redundant attackers.

And you probably want one resupply unit, which main characters usually aren't.

edit: In some games, there were relationship systems where characters would gain bonuses from being adjacent to each other and it was usually based on series - for example, the Gundam Wing Boys. It usually wasn't worth it to drag down your main character with dead weights, but it's there in theory, I guess.

That's kinda it, I guess. In theory there's the sort of multiple playthrough incentive like how people play through Final Fantasy Tactics with multiple class set-ups, but SRW's modern unit design has been rather homogeneous. Really, the unit design could be a lot better, but it clearly isn't a priority for both the creators and the players.

Personally, the characters that bother me the most are the 2nd stringer "selfish" attackers with absolutely no Support Spirits like Emma because they can't even fill any sort of theoretical niche.

Davzz fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 12, 2017

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I ignored most of the Gundams and instead brought Guard Diver, Battle Bomber, and Tusk.

Speaking of sidekicks I hope Ange and Salako get a combination attack this time.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Caphi posted:

Speaking of sidekicks I hope Ange and Salako get a combination attack this time.

:same:

Not like Sala needs a combo attack, or really any support in general to nuke the entire enemy squad given how cheap, powerful, and long ranged her final attack is.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
the cross angers really need to be filled to the brim with combo attacks since in the end they're just fancy aestivalises

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gyra_Solune posted:

the cross angers really need to be filled to the brim with combo attacks since in the end they're just fancy aestivalises

The problem is that most of them are genuinely terrible people with little reason to work together!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people underrate the cross anges. Ersha's really good due to her ace bonus and spirit set, esp. in a no upgrade run or whatever other silly challenge like that. sally's obviously good. tusk, jill, salia, and hilda are all decent b-grade reals, and tusk has insanely cheap love while jill has insanely cheap support spirits. really the only problem children are chris, rosalie, and vivian, which is a shame since those three kind of rule.

Also, Chris and Rosalie have an entire romantic subplot so they should probably have a combo attack. They even bothered including it in SRWV. It's weird they didn't give them anything. As for Vivian, she has like four different things she could use as new attack she gets in the mid-game, they just didn't give her any of them.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

people underrate the cross anges. Ersha's really good due to her ace bonus and spirit set, esp. in a no upgrade run or whatever other silly challenge like that. sally's obviously good. tusk, jill, salia, and hilda are all decent b-grade reals, and tusk has insanely cheap love while jill has insanely cheap support spirits. really the only problem children are chris, rosalie, and vivian, which is a shame since those three kind of rule.

Also, Chris and Rosalie have an entire romantic subplot so they should probably have a combo attack. They even bothered including it in SRWV. It's weird they didn't give them anything. As for Vivian, she has like four different things she could use as new attack she gets in the mid-game, they just didn't give her any of them.

Are those decent ones just Ersha and the ones with Focus, because that's what it felt like.

Also it bites that Vivian's basic attack is 2-4 range.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

Are those decent ones just Ersha and the ones with Focus, because that's what it felt like.

Also it bites that Vivian's basic attack is 2-4 range.
i dont think jill has focus but she has 10 sp attune

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

i dont think jill has focus but she has 10 sp attune

I didn't get Jill but I feel like she'd be worth using as a decent Commander if Salako wasn't already a main character tier unit with Command.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Davzz posted:

In the talk they had in the stream, they stated that this Masaki is "a new one, not the one from Alpha or OG" and you shouldn't expect anyone other than Masaki and his cats, so I'm going to have to believe it's basically DLC bonus implementation, OE-style.

Eh gently caress it I'll settle for sweet new Cybuster animations then. Is he still going to be an inaccurate rear end in a top hat though? The Huckebein and Grungust, while not mindblowing, were super solid in V. And Lottie was best girl.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Vivian has infinite cash and hazes. She's the best.

Davzz posted:

Personally, the characters that bother me the most are the 2nd stringer "selfish" attackers with absolutely no Support Spirits like Emma because they can't even fill any sort of theoretical niche.

The theoretical niche is starting with support attack and having an ace bonus that makes them even better at that as well as relationship bonuses to make her do a lot of damage when supporting people from the same series. Doing an

KoB
May 1, 2009
Kinda surprised theyre doing a Vita version and not a Switch version.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Maybe they'll port it in a year or two.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

KoB posted:

Kinda surprised theyre doing a Vita version and not a Switch version.

They already have the engine working on PS4/Vita, it'd take more work to port it to the Switch, but they'll likely put something out on the thing.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Man it'd be awesome if they put them all on virtual console. Like I mean every previous Nintendo SRW aside from the 3DS ones.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
As a brief aside on the subject of Spirit pools (and since I had no actual human being to rant to on this subject while I was playing SRW V), I wish the game threw me a bone and gave Shinji a few better Spirits. I wanted to just rampage as God EVA Unit-01 all late game since it was nearly fully upgraded (FUB went to Unit-13), but man, Shinji desperately needed that second pilot and Zeal (which made Unit-13 a pretty good killer of the beefier end-game grunts).

I also hope that Mazinger Zero is just as OP, if not more, and that Mazinkaizer is a separate unit so I can put Boss in it.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
This won't happen but it'd be interesting if Zero was just an enemy and the heroes were Kaiser and Emperor.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Still holding out hope for Mazingolfer as a secret.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I feel like God EVA-01 can nearly solo entire stages by herself, she probably doesn't need to be any better.

Then again its SRW.

Caphi posted:

This won't happen but it'd be interesting if Zero was just an enemy and the heroes were Kaiser and Emperor.
This is what I'm what I'm hoping for, though I won't complain if we eventually get to control Zero again since it was fun to use in V.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I never expected V to love Athrun as much as I do.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Getsuya posted:

I never expected V to love Athrun as much as I do.

Athrun is genuinely great in SRW because he's an amazing straight man to any number of characters while having a number of goofy things that make him a good butt-of-jokes.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm glad there's another SRW coming out and it's in english again,

But why did they use that crappy design of the hi-nu gundam when they could use the far superior one from alpha 3 and the latest mg release?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Raxivace posted:

I feel like God EVA-01 can nearly solo entire stages by herself, she probably doesn't need to be any better.

Then again its SRW.
This is what I'm what I'm hoping for, though I won't complain if we eventually get to control Zero again since it was fun to use in V.

Perhaps it'll be a secret unit? Get Mazinkaiser normally, do a thing to get ZERO.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hunter Noventa posted:

Perhaps it'll be a secret unit? Get Mazinkaiser normally, do a thing to get ZERO.

I suspect you'll get access to both, like how Shinji gets Eva-13 and Eva-01(god) in V and it's just a case of Mazinkaiser being overall stronger than Shin but Shin getting to go Zero Mode or something

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Being post Destiny really improves the Seed cast. I don’t instantly hate Shin, which is some kind of goddamn SRW Christmas miracle.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
You just have to repair Mazinger Zero's buddy circuit.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

After a while I actively looked forward to seeing SEED Destiny characters in V, which felt weird.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SEED characters unironically tend to be really fun in SRW, especially when they get past their own plot and can just hang out and be characters.

To be genuinely honest SEED has a really strong cast, they're just a strong cast stuck in an idiot plot. Kira suffers the worst from it because he actually has a fun personality when he's bouncing off other people (being a good-natured computer dork) but good loving luck seeing that happen when SEED is 90% him being angst and melodramatic and Destiny is 90% him being :| personified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The Seed cast has been improved almost every single time they've been in SRW games, which is a drat sight more than I could say for some series.

• Locked thread