Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Poland Spring posted:

do you mainly play genetics

And engineering, pathology, botany and mining. Even people-oriented jobs like cargo or chef/bartender have mini games they can focus on entirely and ignore the other players. Science is a series of mini games (artifacts, chemistry, bomb making unless you are an antag). Not even mentioning the adventure zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

it's always been a series of minigames. the minigames are there both for their own sake (because many of them produce chaos if the person doing the job wants them to) and to give the antags systems to disrupt and routines to infiltrate and take advantage of

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
i cannot comprehend people who play this purely for the minigames, tbh. but whatever. i just don't want those folks ruining everyone else's fun by getting rid of social stuff

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
what a weird, stupid take, but i say that having spent a round watching a chief engineer leaving his department for a bit to go to medbay to get patched up, during which a traitor waltzed into the nuke engine, nearly caused a meltdown, and then proceeded to continue loitering (and subtly sabotaging systems) while the CE came back and was like "huh. must be the AI"

i habitually hang on station and love vibing/observing people and i just do not see that kind of behavior out of the majority of the players. genetics is a meme for it because they really do not leave their stations for anything, but i bet if you actually spent time and mapped out most people's movement over a round they would end up visiting a lot of the station, or at least a good part of it

Vengarr posted:

Injuries should 100% require another player to heal you in a social game, but SS13 is a multiplayer sandbox now. The antagonist roles are just legacy features.

doctor can you come over here and administer a pill and a band-aid for me i have a boo-boo

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jazerus posted:

it's always been a series of minigames. the minigames are there both for their own sake (because many of them produce chaos if the person doing the job wants them to) and to give the antags systems to disrupt and routines to infiltrate and take advantage of

The only minigame I care about is "confuse the admins enough that you get a PM asking you to explain yourself when you haven't actually done anything wrong".

My favourite example being a new admin asking me why I had murdered Spigot the Bear when I had just decided to inject all the corpses I found with a serum that turned them into a clone of me, and I responded with "but doctor, I am spigot the bear" and this continued until I felt genuinely bad, which is never really that long and is why I will never be a legendary mischiefer.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Doing your space job can be fun, sspecially reactive stuff like repairs as engineer or keeping supplies flowing in cargo. But the most fun is always other people imo even if it's something as sinple as helping the new player or working together to get engines running

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Vengarr posted:

And engineering, pathology, botany and mining. Even people-oriented jobs like cargo or chef/bartender have mini games they can focus on entirely and ignore the other players. Science is a series of mini games (artifacts, chemistry, bomb making unless you are an antag). Not even mentioning the adventure zone.

to come back to this take for a moment, like

i'm not sure what your beef is?

artlab starts with 2-3 artifacts and needs to either get more or have people bring more artifacts, and sometimes they're useful and can be sold or put around the station

the chef/bartender have no point to their minigames if they aren't producing things to eat/drink

cargo's "just resell produce / cargo pods" meta has been dunked and "requisitions" that generally require crew help are in, i've seen over several shifts cargo soliciting offers for people's organs

i'm not really seeing what your beef is because as far as i can tell it comes off like someone who hasn't actually played in a while, and certainly not someone who actually plays in the way you seem to want people to play. are you sure you aren't a geneticist

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Genetics gets real boring once you learn how everything works and we get new genes like once a year

Med-sci needs more love. Let me put brains into buttbots already

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Zamujasa posted:

to come back to this take for a moment, like

i'm not sure what your beef is?

artlab starts with 2-3 artifacts and needs to either get more or have people bring more artifacts, and sometimes they're useful and can be sold or put around the station

the chef/bartender have no point to their minigames if they aren't producing things to eat/drink

cargo's "just resell produce / cargo pods" meta has been dunked and "requisitions" that generally require crew help are in, i've seen over several shifts cargo soliciting offers for people's organs

i'm not really seeing what your beef is because as far as i can tell it comes off like someone who hasn't actually played in a while, and certainly not someone who actually plays in the way you seem to want people to play. are you sure you aren't a geneticist

I get it already, you love the mini games. You did literally write the book on packet hacking and DWAINE. It’s not like they are bad in a vacuum, just that they can detract from the more interesting (imo) social aspect. If you can do everything yourself, there’s no need to interact with anyone.

My favorite role was AI just to watch all the poo poo people got up to, and I quit when I noticed cross-department interaction go way down. It felt like half the server was squirreled away in their department looking to make secret chems/ultra weed/the one true hellburn/all the credits/genetics/the t-virus/teleporter mazes/crashing the server with the loafer/speed running their gimmick. Rounds became extremely repetitive.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i wrote the book on packet nerdery but like, that's because i enjoy writing about nerdery. i still socialized in the game while doing it. hell, i was always down to show people stuff

i was just literally describing a bunch of ways in which "the game" has increased interdependence, and even beyond that while playing like. you can just get up and leave? you can leave whatever job you're doing and just go do something else, even on rp.

idk. i have been hanging around on the servers for a few hours each day, alternating between rp and classic, and i see people out and about all the time. it's pretty uncommon for someone to just sit in their department non-stop unless there's a non-stop backlog (like if robotics or med is busy with a bunch of bodies). people will just up and wander around, and if you make something interesting they'll even stop doing what they'd otherwise do just to gently caress around with it for a while

:shrug: skill issue. hell i'm in game right now watchin people mix and mingle in the hallways away from their "minigames"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
just because this is a social game doesn't mean people actually do their drat jobs

mostly they spend a few minutes playing the minigames to prep something they think will be a funny gimmick, and then roam the station looking for people to amuse with it

the reason the chef can't get any produce and the doctors can't get any chems isn't because the botanists and scientists are glued to their machines. it's because half the people on the station have ditched their department by the ten-minute mark to look for people to mess around with

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
it's a bit less bad on rp, though for the chef specifically it's because the "cooking" system is extremely dated and lovely, especially with the wide amount of food there is in the game now

on the rp server people actually do tend to do their jobs for a while.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Zamujasa posted:

what a weird, stupid take, but i say that having spent a round watching a chief engineer leaving his department for a bit to go to medbay to get patched up, during which a traitor waltzed into the nuke engine, nearly caused a meltdown, and then proceeded to continue loitering (and subtly sabotaging systems) while the CE came back and was like "huh. must be the AI"

Tangentially related to the conversation at hand, but I was reminded of the early days of the Cog2 map. The Chief Engineer's office was tucked away in a little corner all the way at the back of the engine room, with fireproof equipment and a little console with (and this is key) admin access that allowed them to call and recall the shuttle. This was back in the days of hellburning, so with the right setup you could create a monstrous inferno of an engine that would cause almost everything in the vicinity to melt from the sheer heat, and would continue to rise in power output pretty much indefinitely. As a result, engineering was a nearly unassailable fortress, with the CE tucked into a cozy center where he could watch Number Go Up indefinitely.

Many, many, many rounds were extended way beyond the point where they should have ended, because even when most of the station was dead and gone (or straight up didn't exist due to an overzealous bomber), many an oblivious CE would reflexively recall the shuttle and go 'no, we don't need a shuttle, I haven't seen anything wrong', and then sit there and continue to watch Number Go Up until they were satiated for the round.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i take great enjoyment of firing a warning shot (usually a centcom announcement) and then dropping an anvil on people who recall the shuttle well past when it should be called

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Zamujasa posted:

it's a bit less bad on rp, though for the chef specifically it's because the "cooking" system is extremely dated and lovely, especially with the wide amount of food there is in the game now

on the rp server people actually do tend to do their jobs for a while.

I have noticed that when playing Chef, I have to have the wiki open in a separate monitor because the recipes aren't exactly clear or involve a complicated series of steps. It'd be nice if there was some interface for showing if a combination of ingredients will produce a viable food item.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to have a handheld mixing bowl like the bartender's shaker so I could gather ingredients together and then dump them all into an oven at once.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I always set out with grand intentions as the chef and inevitably end up making a pizza with a three page long name instead

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Inadequately posted:

Tangentially related to the conversation at hand, but I was reminded of the early days of the Cog2 map. The Chief Engineer's office was tucked away in a little corner all the way at the back of the engine room, with fireproof equipment and a little console with (and this is key) admin access that allowed them to call and recall the shuttle. This was back in the days of hellburning, so with the right setup you could create a monstrous inferno of an engine that would cause almost everything in the vicinity to melt from the sheer heat, and would continue to rise in power output pretty much indefinitely. As a result, engineering was a nearly unassailable fortress, with the CE tucked into a cozy center where he could watch Number Go Up indefinitely.

Many, many, many rounds were extended way beyond the point where they should have ended, because even when most of the station was dead and gone (or straight up didn't exist due to an overzealous bomber), many an oblivious CE would reflexively recall the shuttle and go 'no, we don't need a shuttle, I haven't seen anything wrong', and then sit there and continue to watch Number Go Up until they were satiated for the round.

Lol that's the perfect CE

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
Discount dan's vend-a-doc.
Feed the machine xxx credits
Scans the user and gives them a very generalized health report, suggests simple remedies tries to apply crappy patches to heal basic issues.

All patches have small amounts of secondary crappy chemicals that cause minor issues like upset stomaches, drowsiness, etc.

Emagged machines all say that it's cancer and they stuff a radium pill down your throat for moderate/heavy radiation poisoning.

Hacked machines let you tweak and change patch chemical batches.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Chef functionally hasn't changed since I started playing in 2012 and I get that it's not an "important" role but... it shows

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

i still miss Old Genetics where it was fun and easy to get a clone army going

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Chef functionally hasn't changed since I started playing in 2012 and I get that it's not an "important" role but... it shows

It has been extremely overdue for a reworking for a long, long time. Honestly anyone who consistently manages to produce actual food items is a loving wizard with the current system.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Top Quark posted:

the testmerge preceded the feedback

I like how your only posts in this thread have been :actually: and you ducked as soon as you got even the slightest pushback lol

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

alexandriao posted:

I like how your only posts in this thread have been :actually: and you ducked as soon as you got even the slightest pushback lol

Nice resurrection of a month old post. Sick (hell)burn

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

ILL Machina posted:

posting is an art form and you, my friend, are a philistine

Top Quark
Aug 2, 2010

"Going where no man has gone before."

alexandriao posted:

truly i am owned

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Chef is the role that suffers most when other departments don't work with them. Otherwise, you're limited to what stocks the kitchen has on hand and dead critters you can find/create.

Which is usually plenty honestly, though running out of flour is a pain (the efficiency of hot dogs cannot be overstated though).

Side note, I have a pretty inconsistent time reproducing ectoplasm with smoke powder/fire extinguishers. Anybody have any tips to make a room full consistently?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Chef is at least pretty close to hydro, worst case you can go break in and solve problems that way :v:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I like how doctor works in the aliens v marines or baystation servers. AvM is obviously quicker given the faster pace of those games but both have interesting surgery "puzzles" you need to solve to heal someone rather than just throwing back a combo chem pill to heal 90% of injuries.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
I got sick of the crowd on tgstation but playing on goon I really miss the features, goon always seems so locked down and feature bare compared to nearly everything on tg having lots of poo poo you can do and ways it interacts with everything else, even on your own cook is pretty fun and has lots of options for gimmick rounds. Being able to access the bar and botany on low-pop rounds is also handy.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

ILL Machina posted:

You say that like everyone is reading all of the threads all of the time lmbo

Like maybe a lot of goons can do that but other people probably need things like lives and the like

Top Quark posted:

truly i am owned

wasn't about owning you, im excited to see what you next post about :yayclod:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I got sick of the crowd on tgstation but playing on goon I really miss the features, goon always seems so locked down and feature bare compared to nearly everything on tg having lots of poo poo you can do and ways it interacts with everything else, even on your own cook is pretty fun and has lots of options for gimmick rounds. Being able to access the bar and botany on low-pop rounds is also handy.

Yeah back when i played i used to go engineer for the door opener, try and make my way to the AI to shove in an extra rule, and after that id pick a random job and pretend to be it

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

alexandriao posted:

You say that like everyone is reading all of the threads all of the time lmbo

Like maybe a lot of goons can do that but other people probably need things like lives and the like

wasn't about owning you, im excited to see what you next post about :yayclod:

*fart*

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the original payin' respects

alexandriao posted:

Yeah back when i played

you should try playing again, we have a variety of fart sounds you can choose from now

Nitrousoxide posted:

I like how doctor works in the aliens v marines or baystation servers. AvM is obviously quicker given the faster pace of those games but both have interesting surgery "puzzles" you need to solve to heal someone rather than just throwing back a combo chem pill to heal 90% of injuries.

these days it's not quite that bad. surgery actually just got a big usability improvement so you don't have to keep the wiki open for every single step. the era of instant heal cryo pills is gone, these days it's mostly people just taking gallons of meth

i also just pushed out a change a day or three ago that gives ghosts notices in chat when people die or the singularity gets loose, so the peanut gallery has a bit more to do now

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

There's a fork of SS14 I just learned about that is pretty cool

https://frontierstation14.com/index.php/Main_Page posted:

On Frontier, everyone can be the captain of their own ship to venture forth and explore space beyond the station! Salvage, mine, research, trade, explore, or pirate your way to riches on the vast Frontier! Our unique game design turns regular station play on its head, instead relying heavily on procedural generated worlds and environments, and allowing more emergent forms of gameplay and RP to develop outside of traditional Space Station type of play.

Due to the nature of our game style, many aspects of the underlying game have been modified to provide a better overall experience on the Frontier. Expeditions are hand tailored to allow a more relaxing and less stressful experience, many game systems have been slowed down and had their balance tweaked to allow for a more semi-persistent type game world.

They have a big selection of different ships covering a lot of use cases. You can be a space food truck! There's a few different stations/shipyards but I can't figure out FTL travel, the flying is a bit clunky. I had fun spawning a busted salvaging ship and trying to make it space worthy.

I haven't played on the sole official server yet because it seems more RP heavy than I usually like. If anyone is interested I could set up a semi-private goon server to just mess around in

Gubbinal Girl fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 11, 2023

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

ZAMU YOU GAVE MAILMEN WORK TO DO! You're going to ruin their schedule (drinking, getting high, letting all the pets go)!

Also holy poo poo that's a lot of mail, mailman gonna have to dedicate his own room to sorting that poo poo

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

The Taxman posted:

ZAMU YOU GAVE MAILMEN WORK TO DO! You're going to ruin their schedule (drinking, getting high, letting all the pets go)!

Also holy poo poo that's a lot of mail, mailman gonna have to dedicate his own room to sorting that poo poo

My Own Private Belt Hell

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

The Taxman posted:

My goal for the mail system was everyone gets roughly 3 letters every hour; I might need to tone it down a little, but we'll see. It'll help when they aren't all massive white envelopes, though, that was very much coder art.

One of the things that drives me to code for this game is beating the round timer. I tried to wrap up all of this with about 5 minutes until Goon RP 3 started a new round, so I could hop in and immediately test it with real people after making sure the concept worked locally. So far it's going alright.

Definitely need more stuff in the mail though, it can get pretty boring fast (and the item list needs tweaking)

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

Pent (and other purgatives) have just been nerfed to go along with a big dialysis buff, big fan of this change

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Zamujasa posted:

My goal for the mail system was everyone gets roughly 3 letters every hour; I might need to tone it down a little, but we'll see. It'll help when they aren't all massive white envelopes, though, that was very much coder art.

One of the things that drives me to code for this game is beating the round timer. I tried to wrap up all of this with about 5 minutes until Goon RP 3 started a new round, so I could hop in and immediately test it with real people after making sure the concept worked locally. So far it's going alright.

Definitely need more stuff in the mail though, it can get pretty boring fast (and the item list needs tweaking)

Odd smelling packages from a Mr. Theodore K. would be a nice touch. Angry letters to the company that have been misfiled and are now your responsibility to reply to. Live animals. Dead animals. Hundred of Amazeon packages that were improperly delivered/soaked/smashed into bits/leaking mystery goo. A letter with updated orders for the central computer.

Have chem raid the mailroom looking for wet/dripping packages that might have rare reagents in them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

occasionally you should get a mis-addressed letter intended for a player from the days of goon yore like philip farmer. in that particular case the letter should be able to be thrown into the engine for the same soothing effects that phil himself provided to it