Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

PainterofCrap posted:

Just a reminder to properly stow all felines prior to take-off.

It's in the overhead bin. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Ola posted:

It's in the overhead bin. :shrug:
It's fine, not a United flight.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's a 737-Max (sorry this joke only makes sense to my immediate family because we had a black and white cat named max)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Poor little guy glad it looks like it ended okay. I wonder what kind of a walk around/preflight the guy did?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’m the comments the guy claims that looking inside the wing was not part of the preflight checks.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

PainterofCrap posted:

Just a reminder to properly stow all felines prior to take-off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_8mdH20qTQ

Wing Adjacent Pussy

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
So, those cable-cutters on helicopters that are supposed to, in the event of a wire strike, cut the wire. You know, these things:

Do they actually do anything useful in practice? I mean, is there a body of incidents where helicopters struck a wire, the wire was cut by this cutter, and this averted a crash?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Everyone's a wire fuckler until the real wire fuckler shows up

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So what’s the proper thing to do there? I assume he radio’d for an emergency/immediate landing as carrying around a 10 pound potential projectile is a bad look.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

In the comments, the pilot relays that he had a hilarious exchange with the tower.

I was concerned about the cat wigging and jumping, or making her way into the fuselage & adding her mass to the tail.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Phanatic posted:

So, those cable-cutters on helicopters that are supposed to, in the event of a wire strike, cut the wire. You know, these things:

Do they actually do anything useful in practice? I mean, is there a body of incidents where helicopters struck a wire, the wire was cut by this cutter, and this averted a crash?

Yes

https://www.verticalmag.com/news/raf-chinook-lands-on-welsh-farm-after-striking-wire/

They aren't going to add weight to helicopters that doesn't do anything and you can see it on virtually all the B212s parked at the firefighting company next door to my flight school.

Wires are the biggest cause of accidents in North America (In Canada, weather is the leading cause, with a close 2nd).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I always thought the leading cause of helicopter accidents was “it’s a helicopter!!”

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

That's a Chinook that struck a wire. That's not a Chinook that struck a wire and had disaster averted by the cutter. RAF Chinooks don't even have them installed, and there isn't one in the picture. I wasn't asking if helicopters strike wires, I'm asking is there any evidence that the wire-cutters actually do anything useful when helicopters strike wires.

quote:

They aren't going to add weight to helicopters that doesn't do anything

FAA says there's no evidence they do anything:

http://www.tc.faa.gov/its/worldpac/techrpt/ar0825.pdf

quote:

Figure 5 shows that the annual number of wire strike accidents decreased after 1990. Between
1980 and 1990, the number of wire strikes varied between 8 and 20 accidents per year. After
1990, the number of accidents was reduced to below 10 per year, stabilizing at 5 per year. The
reduction in accidents can be attributed to the improved awareness of the pilots to wire strike
possibilities after WSPS was installed. The number of fatalities in these accidents shows a
dramatic decrease after 1994. Between 1996 and 2002, there were no fatalities. However,
because the database does not contain narrative details of all the accidents, it is not possible to
ascribe these reductions solely to the installation of WSPS.

Wire strike fatalities went down after they were installed, but wire strikes altogether went down after they were installed; the report suggests that installing them increased awareness and that this increased awareness led to fewer wire strikes. But are there in fact cases where a helicopter strikes a wire and the cutter does what it's supposed to do?

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Wires are the biggest cause of accidents in North America (In Canada, weather is the leading cause, with a close 2nd).

Paper claims that "Wire strikes only constituted about 2% and 3% of all the helicopter-related accidents during the last 3 years (2002-2004). This rate is better than the corresponding rate for civil helicopters (between 4% and 5%)."

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 17, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

hobbesmaster posted:

I’m the comments the guy claims that looking inside the wing was not part of the preflight checks.

On my preflights I grab the wing and rock it up and down a few times, both to ensure that it's attached firmly to the fuselage and to listen for any rattling nuts or bolts that might have come loose inside.

I haven't had any cats come running out yet, but I hope to someday

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Wires are a category of obstacle that includes too wide a range of things to be reasonably mitigated by one installed system. In my career I’ve been adjacent to two strikes of horizontal wires (by other people): in one the aircraft struck at such a nose-high attitude that it missed all cutters but the cable snapped under the force of the airframe; in the other the cable was strong enough to destroy the part of the airframe it was supposed to ride along until the next cutter would snag it. Seen a lot of vertical wire strikes (tethered blimps) where rotor blades won in every case.

That said, the weight difference of a WSPS installation is easily within the range of fat vs skinny copilot, so I’d rather have it just in case I run into something cuttable by a paint covered steel edge.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Speaking of risk to helicopter passengers and crew...

https://twitter.com/wtfioguy/status/1306718281617879041?s=21

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Howitzer? drat near killed 'er!

I'll see myself out.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I'd love to see a parody of Air Disasters using the cat video.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

We were doing some Chinook testing right near (at? Adjacent to? Never really was clear on the exact location) Porton Down and as we left we flew near the artillery range while they were doing live-fire. It was getting towards dusk so you could see the fireballs at the impacts. We weren't overflying the range so they weren't bursting right beneath us but goddamn did it seem like they were. That was so loving cool to watch from the ramp.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's a few years old now but that's a brave cat too, crazy.

I guess the winds are the opposite way today, I saw a Dreamlifter turn over me going into Everett, and I see they're doing North landings there and SeaTac.
Also can you do this?

Also also: If you see one of the planes flying around in green, it's just the 737 going from Renton to Everett for paint, right? I didn't think they flew any of the others in green wrap.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
You mean can you fly straight over SeaTac? Sure, as long as you get clearance for the transition -- SEA is class B airspace. Call up approach control before you get there, tell them where you're going, and they'll let you in unless things are really hectic.

Flying straight over midfield is a relatively common type of transition because it's an area that is, for obvious reasons, usually clear of approaching or departing aircraft. Trying to fly "around" the airport and crossing the extended runway centerline is potentially much more dangerous.

The green "wrap" is actually a chromate primer, and yes, a plane that color is almost certainly being taken to the paint shop.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 18, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Can I buzz the tower

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

negative, the pattern is full

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Phanatic posted:

Paper claims that "Wire strikes only constituted about 2% and 3% of all the helicopter-related accidents during the last 3 years (2002-2004). This rate is better than the corresponding rate for civil helicopters (between 4% and 5%)."

From that link

"Thus, assuming that the trend of the past 10 years continues in the coming years, and assuming
that all the wire strike accidents occur in conditions when it is most effective, equipping
helicopters with WSPS can reduce about 44% of the fatalities. However, this is an overestimate
because most of the accidents occurred during the climb and descent phases of flight and
involved wire strikes of the main rotor system, the tail boom, or the vertical tail."

I did have my numbers somewhat crossed...Wire-strikes has some of the highest number of fatalities, not necessarily highest number of accidents.
The 2 main things that are getting beaten into us at flight school are:
- LTE
-Wires

A lot of our flying here in BC is in a mountain environment which is also a wire environment.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

The green "wrap" is actually a chromate primer, and yes, a plane that color is almost certainly being taken to the paint shop.

Oh yeah I guess it's a lacquer, but I mean, do they actually fly any of them like that besides the 737? The rest are built in the same place as the paint shop I think. The 737 has to make it from Renton to Everett though.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Charles posted:

Oh yeah I guess it's a lacquer, but I mean, do they actually fly any of them like that besides the 737? The rest are built in the same place as the paint shop I think. The 737 has to make it from Renton to Everett though.

I've seen primer-only 747-8's, 777's, and 787's go into PDX pretty often, since I think Boeing owns a paint facility there. The facility had a couple of brand new 787's roll out in Norwegian and El Al liveries that sat outside for several weeks, presumably while various lenders argued over where the airplanes were supposed to go after their parent companies essentially vanished.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Phanatic posted:

We were doing some Chinook testing right near (at? Adjacent to? Never really was clear on the exact location) Porton Down and as we left we flew near the artillery range while they were doing live-fire. It was getting towards dusk so you could see the fireballs at the impacts. We weren't overflying the range so they weren't bursting right beneath us but goddamn did it seem like they were. That was so loving cool to watch from the ramp.

I was doing a night flight for my PPL heading south towards El Paso, TX. If you look at the chart, there's a tiny corridor over a highway that cuts through the middle of White Sands Missile Range and Fort Bliss artillery range. That night, there was live-fire artillery going on; from 4500 AGL I could occasionally see tracers at my altitude. I decided to up the altitude a couple thousand feet, even though it was too cold already.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

mlmp08 posted:

Speaking of risk to helicopter passengers and crew...

https://twitter.com/wtfioguy/status/1306718281617879041?s=21

How the hell do you take a video of a helicopter and a howitzer and not keep both of them in frame.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
I flew directly over LAX like a dozen times in a POS bug smasher using the SVFR corridor. You just tell ATC you’re going to use it, then you fly a very exact line at an exact altitude squawking VFR and they tell you good luck and cancel flight following. You pop out the other side of the bravo and get picked back up by center. Easy peasy, but pretty spooky. I’m assuming they have similar corridors through every major bravo.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I was doing a night flight for my PPL heading south towards El Paso, TX. If you look at the chart, there's a tiny corridor over a highway that cuts through the middle of White Sands Missile Range and Fort Bliss artillery range. That night, there was live-fire artillery going on; from 4500 AGL I could occasionally see tracers at my altitude. I decided to up the altitude a couple thousand feet, even though it was too cold already.

If it was visible in the sky at night, it was probably illumination rounds. Or missiles. There's no tracer artillery projectiles I'm aware of in the us arsenal.

http://uxoinfo.com/blogcfc/client/includes/uxopages/Mulvaney_Details.cfm?Ord_Id=P196

If it was illumination rounds, the projectile actually gets even higher than the visible illuminated bit that is ejected. I don't know how much higher, but I do know that to fire them the cannons are pointed almost straight up

That said maybe it's possible the heat is sufficient to produce light on some projectiles? Maybe? Though I'd think that cools off pretty rapidly in the air. I've seen a lot of them go but rarely in flight.

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 18, 2020

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Could be rocket assist motors burning.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi9Tjh-4E6k

Wire cutters in action...

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

LibCrusher posted:

Could be rocket assist motors burning.

Oof. Good thought, right.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Charles posted:

Also can you do this?

Also also: If you see one of the planes flying around in green, it's just the 737 going from Renton to Everett for paint, right? I didn't think they flew any of the others in green wrap.

Thats a specified transition over SeaTac in the Seattle TAC chart for VFR traffic (you can see it on Skyvector.com). You get clearance from SEA tower. The first cross country flight I ever did was over the runway like that after departing Auburn and heading West which was way cool.

And the green 737s are out of Renton to Boeing Field where they sometimes get painted. They're all primarily done in Renton right now with the slow down. None go to Everett, currently, or elsewhere for paint.

If you saw it yesterday out if BFI, it's a BBJ MAX that will get painted after delivery, whenever that may be. It's just doing some production check/test flights.

There's also a disturbing report I just heard about from the DOT for Southwest Airlines that they had serious and frequent weight and balance discrepancies on flights as well as poor maintenance practices, or lack of, on used jets purchased from foreign carriers. The FAA knew all this and didn't bother to really deal with it, so that's a bit concerning to learn.
https://www.oig.dot.gov/library-item/37731

AzureSkys fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 18, 2020

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

That's a nice reaction time for dumping the water, unless it's automated somehow.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

AzureSkys posted:

There's also a disturbing report I just heard about from the DOT for Southwest Airlines that they had serious and frequent weight and balance discrepancies on flights as well as poor maintenance practices, or lack of, on used jets purchased from foreign carriers. The FAA knew all this and didn't bother to really deal with it, so that's a bit concerning to learn.
https://www.oig.dot.gov/library-item/37731

I'm shocked the airline that had the top of a plane rip off has questionable maintenance practices. Shocked I say!

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

That's Aloha brosef.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ola posted:

That's a nice reaction time for dumping the water, unless it's automated somehow.

The lever to release is most likely on the cyclic, so it shouldn't take long to do!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arson Daily posted:

That's Aloha brosef.

Yeah, SW had a guy get sucked out a window and painted the side of the plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

ImplicitAssembler posted:

From that link

"Thus, assuming that the trend of the past 10 years continues in the coming years, and assuming
that all the wire strike accidents occur in conditions when it is most effective, equipping
helicopters with WSPS can reduce about 44% of the fatalities. However, this is an overestimate
because most of the accidents occurred during the climb and descent phases of flight and
involved wire strikes of the main rotor system, the tail boom, or the vertical tail."

I did have my numbers somewhat crossed...Wire-strikes has some of the highest number of fatalities, not necessarily highest number of accidents.
The 2 main things that are getting beaten into us at flight school are:
- LTE
-Wires

A lot of our flying here in BC is in a mountain environment which is also a wire environment.

You know what could help you there?

Airships.