Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Stan Taylor posted:

I just moved and actually totally forgot I have Catacombs and Dungeon Lords Anniversary. I have never played them. Which should I try first and also someone diagnose what is wrong with me. Help.

Your problem is not enough games. Buy more games. That will solve any issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Stan Taylor posted:

I just moved and actually totally forgot I have Catacombs and Dungeon Lords Anniversary. I have never played them. Which should I try first and also someone diagnose what is wrong with me. Help.

Dungeon Lords. Praise be unto Vlaada.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Does anyone have any suggestions for storytelling games, along the lines of Near and Far, Tales of Arabian Nights, Above and Below, etc.? I really, really dig these kinds of games (and just picked up an adorable new one called Stuffed Fables) specifically because of the storytelling elements. The playable maps in N&F and Stuffed Fables are great as well. Some friends and I are currently playing Charterstone right now, which is probably the best game I have personally ever played. It's hard to talk about it without spoiling a lot of the fun details, but the discovery aspects are really fun, and I appreciate the quality of the tokens, money, and cards. I don't mind talking more about it if anyone else has played, we just finished Game 5, so it would be interesting to hear others experiences (without spoilers of course).

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Skutter posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for storytelling games, along the lines of Near and Far, Tales of Arabian Nights, Above and Below, etc.? I really, really dig these kinds of games (and just picked up an adorable new one called Stuffed Fables) specifically because of the storytelling elements. The playable maps in N&F and Stuffed Fables are great as well. Some friends and I are currently playing Charterstone right now, which is probably the best game I have personally ever played. It's hard to talk about it without spoiling a lot of the fun details, but the discovery aspects are really fun, and I appreciate the quality of the tokens, money, and cards. I don't mind talking more about it if anyone else has played, we just finished Game 5, so it would be interesting to hear others experiences (without spoilers of course).

If you want to go heavy on the storytelling and light on the game, look into The Quiet Year. It's more of a collaborative experience generator thing than a game, but it's very neat for what it does.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Nights of Fire Kickstarter is up! This is the semi-sequel to Days of Ire by David Turczi, this time dealing with the Soviet tanks coming back to Budapest. I've personally been involved in playtesting this from pretty much the very start, so if you have any questions about how it plays, let me know.

The game is very asymmetrical, with the insurgents playing a block wargame/hidden capability game, where they use a deck of cards to activate specific units. On the other hand, the Soviet player gets to choose at the start of every turn a hand of 6 tactic cards from a total of 12. The interesting bit is that the 6 tactics cards NOT chosen form a draw deck that provides the randomisation for soviet attacks: this means that not only do you have to be careful about what you put in your hand, but also what you leave behind! It made for a very interesting puzzle at the start of each round (I mostly playtested as the soviets). The aim of the game is not for the Hungarians to win (they will get crushed no matter what), but how many casualties they can inflict on the Soviets and how long they are able to hold out.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Nights of Fire Kickstarter is up! This is the semi-sequel to Days of Ire by David Turczi, this time dealing with the Soviet tanks coming back to Budapest. I've personally been involved in playtesting this from pretty much the very start, so if you have any questions about how it plays, let me know.

The game is very asymmetrical, with the insurgents playing a block wargame/hidden capability game, where they use a deck of cards to activate specific units. On the other hand, the Soviet player gets to choose at the start of every turn a hand of 6 tactic cards from a total of 12. The interesting bit is that the 6 tactics cards NOT chosen form a draw deck that provides the randomisation for soviet attacks: this means that not only do you have to be careful about what you put in your hand, but also what you leave behind! It made for a very interesting puzzle at the start of each round (I mostly playtested as the soviets). The aim of the game is not for the Hungarians to win (they will get crushed no matter what), but how many casualties they can inflict on the Soviets and how long they are able to hold out.

Would you classify this game friendly for non war gamers? I’m in on your recommendation but I would like to know if I will ever get it to the table.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ropes4u posted:

Would you classify this game friendly for non war gamers? I’m in on your recommendation but I would like to know if I will ever get it to the table.

Days of Ire was a pretty straightforward set collection co-op game where one player had some additional card play but it wasn't anything complex. Can't imagine this would be more or less complex and it certainly doesn't appear to be.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

al-azad posted:

Days of Ire was a pretty straightforward set collection co-op game where one player had some additional card play but it wasn't anything complex. Can't imagine this would be more or less complex and it certainly doesn't appear to be.

Agreed I think there is chance it could hit the table.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I was interested in this when it was first mentioned and I'm glad Days of Ire is also a backer option because the only seller I could find was an independent merchant selling it for (loving lol) around $450 USD.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Megasabin posted:

This sounds absolutely fantastic.

Are there any major criticisms of the game? Why don't we hear about it more often in this thread?

Nippon was very good when I played it. Basically not any worse or better than a standard popular Euro these days, which means it probably was just unlucky.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Megasabin posted:

How is Nippon? I've heard it described as Brass meets El Grande, which sounds amazing. It's been out since 2015 though, and I don't hear much about it

Same question for Empire: Age of Discovery. I've heard it compared to Dominant Species, which is appealing. How does it compare to other 4x favorites like Clash of Cultures?

If you enjoy Dominant Species I don't think you'll get much out of Empire. It's a reimplementation of Age of Empires 3 for obvious licensing reasons but Dominant Species feels like someone played the hell out of AoE and was like "I can do better" and they did!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Has anyone played Iki? Nippon chat reminded me of it and it has a beautiful board. I’ve hwatches Rahdo’s run through and the random fires seems like a huge negative.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Kiranamos posted:

Nippon was very good when I played it. Basically not any worse or better than a standard popular Euro these days, which means it probably was just unlucky.

Well, What's Your Game's house style doesn't lend itself super well to productive offline discussion, for a couple reasons.

First, their games focus on significant random variation in setup and, to some degree, progression, making immediate analysis more important to winning than long-term strategy. They rely on extensively interlocked game mechanics to progress your prior turns forward into the rest of the game, meaning you have to think about those consequences as they come forward but you can't really plan. Like, I've sat down to play Village and thought "today, I AM BUREAUCRATS". I've never really sat down to play Nippon and thought "today, I AM LIGHTBULBS".

Second, as a result of not really making games that require you to consolidate a disparate number of things over a large scope, they don't need to rely on theming to keep you thinking about the relevant parts of the game, so the theme is largely pasted on, and the design tends more toward simple and pictoral.

Like, I pitch Nippon as: "Right, you're hiring outside experts in one of these five fields: academics (knowledge + run factories), finance (export goods + build factories), labor (coal income + build boats), engineering (machinery + build trains), trade (place board markers). But you're still kind of a family company so eventually you get too big and reorganize and they all spin up into a child company, and you get some immediate kickback (front of multiplier chit) and set yourself up for influence down the road (back of multiplier chit). The more disparate people you get together in the first place, the more it costs you to cut them all out."

But I made all of that up. That fits with how the mechanics work, but the manual is like 99% mechanics and, to be fair, some very nice illustrations of play.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Tekopo posted:

I love the theme and style of both games, but how replayable are they in coop mode? Are there different difficulties and scenarios, variable set up? Is is completely open information? Is the versus mode the real meat of the game or is coop and solo just as good?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

al-azad posted:

If you enjoy Dominant Species I don't think you'll get much out of Empire. It's a reimplementation of Age of Empires 3 for obvious licensing reasons but Dominant Species feels like someone played the hell out of AoE and was like "I can do better" and they did!

Interesting. I've had Empire recommended me to several times now, because I enjoy Dominant Species. As in "this is similar, but different enough, that you would likely really enjoy it".

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008
The designer for Deep: Enemy Frontiers is having a huge loving meltdown on bgg right now accusing Wehrle of plagiarism, and throwing out details of his publisher contract. It's pretty :yikes:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1944526/official-status-deep/page/1

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jejoma posted:

The designer for Deep: Enemy Frontiers is having a huge loving meltdown on bgg right now accusing Wehrle of plagiarism, and throwing out details of his publisher contract. It's pretty :yikes:

It's great actually

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008
Isn't it though? I kinda think Wehrle baited him into dropping some of his contract details so that he'll never be able to work in the industry again.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
That is a fun read. Someone should goad him into posting the contract to see if it actually does say that all rights revert back to him because if that is the case and the publisher is trying to keep the rights, especially if they plan on developing a game using his stuff, he might end up with a reasonable chunk of change out of the whole thing

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You really think that'll make a difference? I kind of doubt that. This is some very indie poo poo, and it's not like Leder is a powerhouse to be reckoned with here.

It's not really a good look for anybody involved, including Cole, who didn't need to post.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jejoma posted:

Oh wow. Someone who has an anonymous KS account should post this in the Root KS comment section

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Didn't he make Forbidden Stars or am I thinking of someone else?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Ropes4u posted:

I can't speak for this sequel, but Days of Ire had game mechanics more similar to co-op Euros than a traditional wargame. It also plays in about an hour, so it shouldn't be hard to get to the table.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The tricky thing is that you can't own mechanics. But I'm inclined to believe him that Leder, through whatever reason, dropped development on his game to reboot it as something else. You can follow the development of Deep in its very own thread and a lot of similarities to Root crop up. The Woodland Alliance for example is almost a carbon copy of the Usurper, right down to conspiracies and outrage (unrest). Root had major changes to the design a few weeks ago, around the same time it looks like these issues started cropping up.

I hope Sam got paid for his time and I'll give Leder the benefit of doubt until concrete things come up, but I wouldn't call it a meltdown.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I was at the thrift shop today. It has been a while since I found anything good there (board game wise). I found some nice stuff there a few times, but its been dry for more than year. I thought maybe they were getting wise to the good ones? I was wrong! I found a nicely battle worn copy of Axis and Allies today for $5. It is the 1984 edition, and all of the important pieces seem to be there. The instruction booklet is photocopied and held together with a clip. I appreciate this craftsmanship. This is obviously a game that was well used in its lifetime.

In with the tokens was exactly $2.24 in loose change, I suppose used as extra markers? (I don't know I've never actually played axis and allies). This brings the effective price of the game down to $2.76, quite a bargain. None of the coins are dated older than 1995, so I am guessing that was the era when this game was last played. From the look of the repairs on the box it saw heavy play in the 1980s then remained stored in a closet or attic for several decades. I haven't counted if all the miniature pieces are present, they are quite a jumble. I hope all the pieces are here! :ohdear:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Megasabin posted:

Interesting. I've had Empire recommended me to several times now, because I enjoy Dominant Species. As in "this is similar, but different enough, that you would likely really enjoy it".

It's different enough that they're not the same, really it's only the action selection mechanism that's common between them, but Dominant Species overall is just a better game. Empire puts more emphasis on the action selection, and you interact with that part of the map a lot more while the area control portion is important but not as engaging. I liked it enough that if I was absolutely sick of DS I would play it, but I don't think that'll ever happen so I don't really seek out games.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I never find good poo poo at my thrift stores.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I never find good poo poo at my thrift stores.

To be fair, neither does Rubitex.

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008
Sam Bailey has continued airing his poo poo over at reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/7zaaqf/deep_officially_canceled_by_leder_games_designer/dummvxq/

And of course, he loving posted the contract: https://imgur.com/a/nYiX0

Jejoma fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 22, 2018

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jejoma posted:

Sam Bailey has continued airing his poo poo over at reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/7zaaqf/deep_officially_canceled_by_leder_games_designer/dummvxq/

And of course, he loving posted the contract: https://imgur.com/a/nYiX0

Can you summarize what the hell is happening?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't know what's wrong with posting the contract, it's not a secret document or anything. I want to see how this all plays out.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

al-azad posted:

I don't know what's wrong with posting the contract, it's not a secret document or anything. I want to see how this all plays out.

It's generally bad form

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Can you summarize what the hell is happening?

Sam Bailey was working on Deep, an asymmetrical game for Leder around fall of 2016. Around summer 2017 he stops posting updates to Deep's design and it kind of fell off the face of the earth. A few months later, Cole Werhle joins Leder as in-house designer and the Root Kickstarter pops up. Fast forward today, Leder officially announces the cancellation of Deep, that they're keeping all the assets but Sam gets the "idea" which frankly doesn't mean poo poo because you can't copyright ideas.

Sam alleges Cole and Leder plagiarized his game with Root. They bear a lot of similarities but again, you can't copyright mechanics. I can't say he has any legal precedence here, but he alleges Leder kept him in the dark while his work was in limbo and once they got an in-house designer they dropped his work completely.

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008
I haven't looked too deeply into either game, but some of the specifics Sam claims were stolen could also be found almost any COIN game out there, in my opinion.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

That Deep slapfight is on r/boardgames too

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jejoma posted:

I haven't looked too deeply into either game, but some of the specifics Sam claims were stolen could also be found almost any COIN game out there, in my opinion.

Board games will always share some things but Deep and Root are unique from any other game in that the cards are multi-use depending on the faction. Deep has four factions, an empire, usurpers, civilian, and some kind of fascist faction which aren't dissimilar to cat, woodland, vagabond, and birds. For example the Usurper played conspiracies to build unrest which were then spent performing actions. It was similar to the Woodland Alliance in Root except in reverse where they build followers to play, well, conspiracies a mechanic that was actually dropped a few weeks ago during Root's redesign.

The question the guy is asking is whether or not they plagiarized it and for a board game that's going to be hell to prove. Unless he has a letter from Leder or Cole, signed and dated with them saying "we are intentionally firing you and re-purposing your game into a new product" he's got nothing, and even then they would have to steal like original art or flavor text or something there's just nothing stopping you short of a patent from describing how to move cardboard around. You or I could create a worker placement game of fitting food and junk on a board and calling it "A Feast for Zeus" and that's fine because it's our expression of ideas that are protected, not the execution of them.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Feb 22, 2018

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

al-azad posted:

The question the guy is asking is whether or not they plagiarized it and for a board game that's going to be hell to prove. Unless he has a letter from Leder or Cole, signed and dated with them saying "we are intentionally firing you and re-purposing your game into a new product" he's got nothing, and even then they would have to steal like original art or flavor text or something there's just nothing stopping you short of a patent from describing how to move cardboard around. You or I could create a worker placement game of fitting food and junk on a board and calling it "A Feast for Zeus" and that's fine because it's our expression of ideas that are protected, not the execution of them.
I'd buy that over Feast for Odin in a heartbeat

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
A Feast For Munchkin: A Steve Jackson Game

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I presume this is why the guy is making a big deal publicly rather than just going straight to the lawyers.

Even if it's legal to just do a quick re-branding of someone's design in order to cut them out of the royalties, it sure is scummy, and there are probably at least a few people who would vote with their wallet and avoid a publisher who pulls that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
How did the greeks feel about beans?