Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

ro5s posted:

I’m looking at getting some blightlords and want to magnetise the guns so I can swap them around. Does magnets in the wrists/bolter hands sound feasible, and what size/strength magnets would be good for that?

This size seems to be perfect for me at least. I drilled in slightly with a dremel, added a little bit of green stuff and push them in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I find that 1/8" magnets work for most infantry and 1/4" for most vehicles, with the matching Dremel engraving bit it works perfectly to make a hole that matches exactly to the magnet. I mostly stick to the N52 magnets for the infantry ones, especially on things that may tend to rotate or sag but I use some of the cheaper ones if I think they will be fine.

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=168

Cinara fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 23, 2019

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I got Phoenix Rising as a birthday present, along with a giftcard for $25 Farseer. Pretty cool haul for moms-in-law.

Trip report: Meh. I play/collect Wraiths pretty exclusively with 20 Wraithguard/blades, 3 Wraithlords, a Wraithseer and 2 "Wraith-walker" kit bashes. It pains me deeply that this army can't really function without spending points of pricey troop units for the Battalion CP (275 points minimum for 2 Warlocks and 15 baseline Dire Avengers).

Seems like the exarch boosts could be well utilized if you pick them for specific opponents, nothing particularly amazing here.

Runes of Fourtune has 3 good ones at the cost of losing that psykers Smite ability. Ghostwalk(+2 to charge) Focus Will (+2 to Deny the Tigirus Deny the Witch) and Impare Senses (shooting can only target the closest enemy unless the target is within 18", too bat the range on it is 18")

The Craftworld Attributes are pretty good all around, for me it boils down to Strike & Fade (uses up 2 attributes, Charge after falling back & consolidation shennanigans), Students of Vaul (Gain a wound on all vehicles at the start of the turn) and Wrath of the Dead (Constructs reroll 1's on the wound).

All in all it's helpful but I don't think it's going to change my chances against current Marine armies... but I might be acting pessimistic here. Against Ultras I can slog it down but they tend to edge out by turn 3 or 4.

This is the price I pay for an 3lit3 army.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I think the dire avengers and Crimson Hunter exarch abilities will see play because people already use those units. I fully expect eldar lists to burn a CP to give one of their planes a 2+ to hit or a 5++. The problem is it wont change anybody's minds about the other aspect warriors which was really the goal.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

TheBigAristotle posted:

Makes sense from a logical perspective, those guns don't really do themselves any favors in armies that aren't Fists or Iron Hands, what with the guns being heavy 2.
I get why people dunk on Suppressors - weird combo of heavy gun and jump pack, questionable special rule, awkward-looking and polarizing model design... but I have to say, when I’m playing my Salamanders ‘blast you off the table from turn 1’ tournament brigade, they’re my sleeper hit. They’re cheap, put in a surprising amount of work, have close to an optimal number of shots for the Salamanders chapter tactic, can engage from 48”, and the models being up high means it’s easy to get LOS from the back of a crowded Marine battle pile. Yes, they’re not getting the extra AP in Tactical, but AP 2 is usually good enough given the invulns on what I often point them at.

I would, of course, prefer a version with some kind of Primaris multi-melta - ideally assault instead of heavy; a deep striking jump pack unit is actually a decent use case for that, especially with the chapter special working from turn two on. Just the regular guys as-is are actually decent now, though.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
You know what I passed right by that Crimson Hunter Exarch because its a loving plane and I don't think about it like an exarch.

yeah that's almost an auto spend with a number of good choices.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Some Suppressors would probably look pretty nice in Iron Hands black...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I reckon suppressors will be off the hook in a fists list.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Hi guys, been a long time since I logged into SA - but Ive been listening to the BadCast and checked out Goonhammer. Love the website.

I noticed no 30k content - is this deliberate, or a lack of contributors? I'd be interested in putting articles together if there is any interest.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Lord Twisted posted:

Hi guys, been a long time since I logged into SA - but Ive been listening to the BadCast and checked out Goonhammer. Love the website.

I noticed no 30k content - is this deliberate, or a lack of contributors? I'd be interested in putting articles together if there is any interest.

Lack of writers. If youd like to see about contributing check out our discord and talk to Black Heart or The Chirugeon.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Oct 23, 2019

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Top stuff. Thanks.

E: Address for the discord?

Lord Twisted fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Oct 23, 2019

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Ultramarines Chapter Champion:
I am currently at work, so I don't have the Codex at hand. According to Battlescribe, I can swap his master-crafted Power sword for a Thunder Hammer. Is this correct, or just an error with BS?
If anyone could post the datsheet, that would be great. :)

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Lord Twisted posted:

Top stuff. Thanks.

E: Address for the discord?

Sent a PM

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 23, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Official GW are pretty funny these days

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Always nice to see Sassy Nurgling making an appearance. :D
Also I totally missed the Lieutenant mention when I first saw it.

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008

JBP posted:

I reckon suppressors will be off the hook in a fists list.

I did some napkin spreadsheeting yesterday and they're the best option for killing T7 or lower vehicles you can imagine, but they are not significantly better at killing T8 than any other Str 5-7 gun, and are actually worse against T8 than heavy bolters. I don't think they are a slam dunk with the prevalence of Repulsors, and the relatively low rate of fire means -1 against flyers pushes your expected output closer to a single successful wound than two.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
Speaking of core rules changes being in errata and somewhat buried.

They put out a new slim core rulebook? I haven't seen anyone mention it.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warhammer-40000-The-Rules-2019

I haven't seen a review yet. What is ACTUALLY in this, did they bother making the core rules have the aircraft rules and all those kinds of changes?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I love Sassy

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I'd like to take suppressors but I'm doing a no-tank army so it's more thematic. I took a devestator centurion squad and a Leviathan with double hurricane cannons for my tank busters.

Keep in mind I don't know what the heck I'm doing though! (And all of my army is on paper atm)

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

General Olloth posted:

Speaking of core rules changes being in errata and somewhat buried.

They put out a new slim core rulebook? I haven't seen anyone mention it.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warhammer-40000-The-Rules-2019

I haven't seen a review yet. What is ACTUALLY in this, did they bother making the core rules have the aircraft rules and all those kinds of changes?

It's just a reprint of the original rules

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's just a reprint of the original rules

A literal, no FAQ or errata reprint, apparently.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
That's up there on stupidest products I've ever seen them release.

Oh well guess I don't need to give them money.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What a lazy, wasted opportunity. Stupid.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

They had the errata printed on small sheets early last year, but of course they looked weird next to the full size rulebook. Accounts Payable bitched about reprinting them again full sized at the company's expense, so the solution was to re-issue new micro-rulebooks that the customer would pay for that would match the small errata sheets. Win-Win!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Do the digital/epub version of books ever get updated with errata and/or faqs?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Improbable Lobster posted:

Do the digital/epub version of books ever get updated with errata and/or faqs?

Don't think so, but the iBooks versions do

haakman
May 5, 2011
just popping in to say the Goonhammer stuff on Dark Angels is equal parts helpful and depressing as a DA player.

Opentarget
Mar 17, 2009

Booley posted:

Don't think so, but the iBooks versions do

They do, you just have to redownload them after the new versions come out.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

General Olloth posted:

That's up there on stupidest products I've ever seen them release.

Oh well guess I don't need to give them money.

It's even worse next to the Sigmar one, which got full updates and included all the new missions and stuff they've added. The 40k version sucks.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Opentarget posted:

They do, you just have to redownload them after the new versions come out.

I asked GW about this and they say it takes a couple weeks to get released.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Corrode posted:

It's even worse next to the Sigmar one, (...) 40k (...) sucks.

This checks out

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Corrode posted:

It's even worse next to the Sigmar one, which got full updates and included all the new missions and stuff they've added. The 40k version sucks.

The sigmar one is what I expected for 40k which is exactly why I asked.

masam
May 27, 2010
Hey so i finished my first model in 20 years, (aside from some clean up, im still very rusty, and a question about the base as i tried it and am fairly ehhhh on it myself). So here goes a BA phobos boy infiltrating the black legion cause i forgot librarians were blue when i came up with a neato color scheme!

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

haakman posted:

just popping in to say the Goonhammer stuff on Dark Angels is equal parts helpful and depressing as a DA player.

Last night I had a game of Dark Angels v Ultramarines and it was so depressing to see the difference between the codexes. Virtually every unit my opponent used benefited from a new stratagem or special rule of some kind, while I played some of the same units but rules from two years ago.

Meanwhile, after he seized and took out enough Devastators on turn 1 to stop me using Weapons from the Dark Age, I think I spent more CP on command re-rolls than on stratagems from my codex. I still won though. Just.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
Was the Infiltrator Helix Adept cut from the multipart kit? I don't see it listed in the product description.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Space-Marines-Primaris-Infiltrators-2019

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

General Olloth posted:

The sigmar one is what I expected for 40k which is exactly why I asked.

Yeah. Even in the initial announcement the Sigmar release seemed to have more going on, but I was hoping they'd at least incorporate the FAQs.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
So, for older players wanting to get up to speed with how the game plays now, what all do you need? I've got the 8th edition core, but I get that's somewhat out of date. Chapter Approved comes out at the end of the year right? Does that mean its probably better at this point to just wait for the new one to drop rather than get the old?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Desiden posted:

So, for older players wanting to get up to speed with how the game plays now, what all do you need? I've got the 8th edition core, but I get that's somewhat out of date. Chapter Approved comes out at the end of the year right? Does that mean its probably better at this point to just wait for the new one to drop rather than get the old?

Battlescribe, chapter approved and your codex.
I'd just get it (ca), they take a while to come out. If you like cards(I do), I find them really useful for a lot of game types, pick up your armies pack.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Xpost...

Polished off some Terminators

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

GW Customer Service posted:

Hello there,

Thank you for contacting us.

This book includes everything but the history and lore sections of the original rulebook that can be found in the Dark Imperium set or in Warhammer 40,000 Rulebook as found here: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warhammer-40000-rulebook-eng-2017

It does not include current Errata and will not be released in Digital Form.

I hope this helps--please let us know if we can assist with anything further!

Warm Regards,

--
Morgan M.
custserv@gwplc.com

Morgan's great, but that's really loving stupid of GW.