Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Postess with the Mostest posted:

In an email with the subject "Sex, Drugs and Justin Trudeau"

Goddammit ho took Cheryl's muzzle off?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I let a guy sit at my table at Tim Horton's today and he gave me a weed. :kimchi:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Local drug dealer comes out against safe injection sites and rehabilitation programs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Somehow the massively overwhelming irony of Rob Ford's brother saying you can't just keep feeding addicts has not yet collapsed him into a singularity.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

infernal machines posted:

Somehow the massively overwhelming irony of Rob Ford's brother saying you can't just keep feeding addicts has not yet collapsed him into a singularity.

He is negative energy condensed into a fat white skin suit that is animated by a million angry cockroaches.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Krang took up residence in a hamhock and he wants to be YOUR next premier.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
CP Rail workers were set to go on strike this morning, but the Labour minister intervened and ordered them to vote on CPs "final" proposal before striking, effectively delaying the strike until they can get a vote together. So much for the Trudeau government promising not to intervene in labour.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

DariusLikewise posted:

CP Rail workers were set to go on strike this morning, but the Labour minister intervened and ordered them to vote on CPs "final" proposal before striking, effectively delaying the strike until they can get a vote together. So much for the Trudeau government promising not to intervene in labour.

Spice Bitumen must flow.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Oh wow, craven human shitstain and noted Ford enabler Mark Towhey also has opinions on harm reduction.

https://twitter.com/towhey/status/987507083829391360

This is definitely a good look for the folks who stood around while their buddy drank himself half to death and smoked crack.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Oh wow, craven human shitstain and noted Ford enabler Mark Towhey also has opinions on harm reduction.

https://twitter.com/towhey/status/987507083829391360

Does he not realize he's very effectively making the case that we should increase available treatment spaces and safe injection sites at the same time?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I'm sure he realizes that's the logical conclusion if you were to spend more money on addiction treatment and rehabilitation resources, which they are not going to do. So what they will do is kill Insite.

Towhey is not stupid, he's just literally evil.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
"It's inhumane to keep addicts in a perpetual state of addiction, therefore let them die instead."

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 9, 2022

Segue
May 23, 2007

Supervised injection services in Ontario do provide referrals to treatment programs, as well as medical care, shelter, and other programs to help people.

They're not just places where you can use drugs and to pretend that's all they are is disingenuous and evil. They're access points to care and services to a marginalized population with a lot of stigma. And if you get rid of them dozens will die in the short term and thousands in the long term.

gently caress this bullshit.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Doug Ford.

quote:

Doug Ford has taken the unprecedented step of appointing 11 Progressive Conservative candidates to run in the June 7 election — including the son of former premier Mike Harris.

Doug. loving. Ford.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queens...pointments.html

Looking forward to another round of deep, deep cuts to hospitals and 1000s of nurses laid off.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

Mike Harris, Jr., whose father was premier from 1995 until 2002, was named the candidate in Kitchener-Conestoga, succeeding MPP Michael Harris

:thunk:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao at these two parts

quote:

Ford made the appointment despite the fact Harris, Jr., had lost the nomination battle to Dan Weber in the neighbouring riding of Waterloo two weeks ago and there were several other candidates interested in running Kitchener-Conestoga.

quote:

Ironically, Brown and his team had been criticized for being seen to meddle in local nominations, which fuelled grassroots movements like Take Back Our PC Party, which publicly called on him to abide by the Tory constitution, which normally disallows appointments.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wish we lived in a world where horrendous ideas like "let the addicts die off so we can save money" could actually tank an election campaign.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Weird how with the ONDP polling in second place we aren’t seeing a million progressive electoral geniuses come out of the woodwork imploring everyone to strategically vote NDP, Ontario’s best shot to beat Ford 🤔

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

THC posted:

Weird how with the ONDP polling in second place we aren’t seeing a million progressive electoral geniuses come out of the woodwork imploring everyone to strategically vote NDP, Ontario’s best shot to beat Ford 🤔

Just like 2011, this will probably happen and the NDP will make a breakthrough and they will cheer their role as Official Opposition as a huge victory for the party while Doug Ford's supermajority turns all of Ontario into a giant ferris wheel.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

THC posted:

People were pretty sour to that when Mulcair did it.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

I'm sure he realizes that's the logical conclusion if you were to spend more money on addiction treatment and rehabilitation resources, which they are not going to do. So what they will do is kill Insite.

Towhey is not stupid, he's just literally evil.

It's not just that. He's explicitly making a moral judgment on substance users who (1) do not seek treatment and (2) implicitly on those who do not succeed. Research on the determinants of substance use show that it becomes a coping mechanism for individuals with toxic stress. And it is well known that detoxification and substance use prevention treatments often (if not most of the time) do not succeed on the first attempt.

Increasing resources for treatment is a nice thought but it's pointless if the determinants of substance use are not addressed.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

Also there needs to be a general acknowledgement that treatment might not succeed and that doesn't make the patient a lesser person.

Addiction can happen even without physical dependence. For instance I bite my nails. I can go for weeks or even months without doing it, but every now and then I relapse. Now imagine if there were withdrawal symptoms. Or if biting my nails was the only thing in my life I could control - choose to do by my own desires - or even the only escape mechanism I had...

But of course it's more convenient to blame victims rather than scrutinize the root causes of their misery.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

THC posted:

"Vote NDP in a riding where A PC can't win" has been touted to me as a conservative strategy this election.

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

Also there needs to be a general acknowledgement that treatment might not succeed and that doesn't make the patient a lesser person.

Addiction can happen even without physical dependence. For instance I bite my nails. I can go for weeks or even months without doing it, but every now and then I relapse. Now imagine if there were withdrawal symptoms. Or if biting my nails was the only thing in my life I could control - choose to do by my own desires - or even the only escape mechanism I had...

But of course it's more convenient to blame victims rather than scrutinize the root causes of their misery.

This takes too long to say for a 6-second TV/radio soundbyte. Sorry, but I'm afraid your ideas are very elitist and you are out of touch with everyday hardworking families. How will this help me pay my hydro bills?

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 21, 2018

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

6 second soundbite: "Don't be greedy. Be kind."

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

vyelkin posted:

Just like 2011, this will probably happen and the NDP will make a breakthrough and they will cheer their role as Official Opposition as a huge victory for the party while Doug Ford's supermajority turns all of Ontario into a giant ferris wheel.

I want off this ride. :smith:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Doug Ford is brash, but he's no Donald Trump writes paid conservative shill.

quote:

The problem is, beyond their plain manner of speaking, Ford is not easily compared to Trump. While it’s true that neither man has much regard for the political or economic establishment and both have shown a penchant for publicly attacking institutions to shock that establishment and delight their fans, that’s where the much of the similarities end and the differences become quite evident.

Trump is crass and a bully. Despite what has been said about him, the Progressive Conservative leader doesn’t have a penchant for inappropriate behaviour. In fact, Ford has said remarkably little that would not be considered fair game.

Yes, Trump is a crass bully and a privileged old white man with inherited wealth who engaged in various illegal activities in his youth to further enrich himself, whereas Doug Ford is... younger?

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

"hey guys Doug Ford is clearly not like bad Donald Trump: he's a mediocre substitute at best"

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
Here's an interesting analysis of how little MPs actually work at their jobs: https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2018/04/21/moonlighting-mps-does-your-representative-in-the-house-of-commons-have-a-second-job.html

Since parliament only sits for 26 weeks a year they have about half a year to moonlight at other jobs doing whatever the gently caress they want or just sit on their rear end at home.

Like this guy - who is apparently also an active lawyer, university professor and author:

quote:

Nicola Di Iorio sleeps five hours a night, but he says that’s enough to keep his motor going overtime — which is exactly what he has to do. For not only is he the federal representative for some 114,000 Montrealers, he maintains a side hustle as an active litigator who co-manages a gaggle of labour lawyers at a firm in Quebec’s biggest city.

The Liberal MP for St-Léonard—St-Michel is, in effect, moonlighting as a labour lawyer, making him one of the few members of the House of Commons who have declared income from second jobs since the 2015 election, according to a Star analysis of records published on the federal Conflict of Interest and Ethics Commissioner’s website. In Di Iorio’s case, he also teaches classes at a local university, volunteers for three non-profit organizations, and is writing a book on labour law.

So why aren't we asking more of our MPs who are apparently so bored and unoccupied with their work that they're moonlighting everywhere. We put the screws to the working class by increasing productivity to the point where people are breaking down from stress and yet our elected officials have some of the cushiest jobs around.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
In theory, MPs are supposed to be active in their ridings, helping to address the concerns of their constituents, while Parliament isn't sitting.

The fact that the working class is getting hosed over doesn't mean we should place unreasonable demands on legislators, or have them sit in parliament just for the sake of it. I mean, what would they actually do that they aren't doing already?

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

Drafting and debating bills

Nominating commisionners

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Actual Nazi James "Dmitri the Lover" Sears is going to be running for Mayor of Toronto and in Ottawa Centre this provincial election. He will lose, but he is an Actual Nazi and also a dangerous person in many other ways.

https://twitter.com/k_delamont/status/987832290897203205

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 22, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eXXon posted:

Yes, Trump is a crass bully and a privileged old white man with inherited wealth who engaged in various illegal activities in his youth to further enrich himself, whereas Doug Ford is... younger?

Ah, yes, written by the Executive Chairman of Navigator Ltd.

What the gently caress The Star?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

eXXon posted:

Doug Ford has actually held elected office before running, so that's something.

Leofish posted:

Actual Nazi James "Dmitri the Lover" Sears is going to be running for Mayor of Toronto and in Ottawa Centre this provincial election. He will lose, but he is an Actual Nazi and also a dangerous person in many other ways.

https://twitter.com/k_delamont/status/987832290897203205

That's actually a great tweet because it does a really good job of showing how a modern conservative can simultaneously hold the identities of Christian, libertarian, literal Nazi, Real Manly Man, PUA, online streamer, and "Anti-Marxist".

And people say intersectionality is only a leftie thing.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

drat.. Joel's got some primo competition in Ottawa-Centre :stare:

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Liberal MP facing sexual assault allegation

quote:

An Ontario Liberal MP is facing an allegation of sexual assault following an incident in Halifax early Saturday morning.

Halifax Regional Police are investigating the alleged assault they say happened just after 2 a.m. AT on Brunswick Street across from Citadel Hill in downtown Halifax, near where the Liberal Party policy convention was being held.

Francis Drouin's office confirmed an allegation had been made against him.

"I can confirm that an allegation has been made," a statement provided to CBC News on Sunday said.

"I believe it is important for individuals to have a safe environment to come forward, share their stories, and be supported."

It added while no charges have been laid, Drouin will co-operate fully with the investigation.

A spokesperson from the office of the government whip confirmed Drouin is still a member of the Liberal caucus.

The alleged incident occurred just hours before Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and other Liberal MPs took part in a closed-door workshop at the convention on how to create safe, harassment-free workplaces.

The session, called From #MeToo to never again: creating safe work environments, was closed to the media so delegates can share personal stories. Liberal MP Kent Hehr, who stepped down from his cabinet post in January pending an investigation into complaints of sexual harassment against him, also attended.

Leaving the hour-long session on Saturday, Trudeau called it a "great ongoing part of an important conversation."

I may be naive but I'd really like to see MPs held to higher standards and some actual punishment. But considering Kent Hehr is still a Liberal MP I doubt that will happen.

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016

lol this is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Aug 25, 2018