Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://www.thelocal.fr/20180109/catherine-deneuve-denounces-puritanism-following-weinstein-allegations

Hot take

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

aaand of course she defends Polanski

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/Messina2012/status/950915356494835714

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Condiv posted:

she blocked me for posting “bernie 2020!!”

I guess she really wanted bernie to lose her poll :/

Her poll turning out the way she wanted is completely dependent on her having blocked everyone not in the 8% 4%

even if I wasn't all in 4 Bernie etc etc etc, "literally anyone who is not Bernard Sanders" is not a compelling political candidate unless you harbor an irrational hatred for choice A

33% of the people who responded to that poll would vote for Donald Trump in a Bernie v Trump Dem primary

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

loquacius posted:

Her poll turning out the way she wanted is completely dependent on her having blocked everyone not in the 8% 4%

even if I wasn't all in 4 Bernie etc etc etc, "literally anyone who is not Bernard Sanders" is not a compelling political candidate unless you harbor an irrational hatred for choice A

33% of the people who responded to that poll would vote for Donald Trump in a Bernie v Trump Dem primary

You can't have the irrational Berniebros have their way, no matter the cost!

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

"Men have been punished summarily, forced out of their jobs when all they did was touch someone's knee or try to steal a kiss."

"Men had been dragged through the mud, they argued, for "talking about intimate subjects during professional dinners or for sending sexually-charged messages to women who did not return their attentions.

:qq:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Is this a biden quote?

e: no I checked and it is from some french film industry types, lol

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Nice meltdown Paranoid Randroid.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I tried to steal a kiss from Hillary and I got fired :qq:

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Hillary lost to someone who didn't want to be president, lmao

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Mister Fister posted:

Hillary lost to someone who didn't want to be president, lmao

think about how sad and angry she is every day that she isn't president hahahaha

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Came across this and thought of the suck zone:

Serf
May 5, 2011

my grandpa always said "it doesn't matter how drunk you are, if you can find the waffle house you can find home"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
please randroid dont hurt em

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I was given to believe that powercrazy was a gator, this does not add up :raise:

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
https://twitter.com/VOTEFORTRUMP9/status/950894104329818112

i'm begging you, dolly

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

now i know my abc's
destroy the pa tri ar chy

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Serf posted:

my grandpa always said "it doesn't matter how drunk you are, if you can find the waffle house you can find home"

My grandpa said the same thing, only he stopped after the antecedent.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

rudatron posted:

You don't have to believe in accelerationism to be an accelerationist, and there's no group more willing to pump the gas pedal of capitalism than dumb rear end libertarians

Just lol if you think Libertarians are more accelerationist or dangerous than the current cabal of corporatocrats who give welfare and free access to the gov. for corporations.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

roll tide

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/David4SenateCA/status/950827981512953856

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

washington post is owned by jeff bezos why trust it

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's called "Working Towards the Bezos."

Every writer at WaPo is engaged in a de facto rat-race to publish the most asinine content that might reach and please the Bezos.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

How do you fix the media anyway

Like, a regulation stipulating that media companies cannot be owned by any company that also deals in non-media business might help, but that sounds subjective and easy to rules-lawyer around, and it wouldn't solve the clickbait sensationalism issue either

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

i get most of my news from reactionary twitter replies and reddit comments so who the gently caress knows

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

loquacius posted:

Like, a regulation stipulating that media companies cannot be owned by any company that also deals in non-media business might help, but that sounds subjective and easy to rules-lawyer around, and it wouldn't solve the clickbait sensationalism issue either

Anyway you do it, you'll be called a Stalinist by right-wing media and a Fascist by liberal media.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh5En5zb6PI

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

gradenko_2000 posted:

Bernie Would Have Won

Russian bots did this!

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

good to see bad dems don't have a monopoly on embarrassing Fellow Kids memes

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

loquacius posted:

you'd need to remove the profit incentive from publications entirely

which is tricky without getting rid of capitalism

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

loquacius posted:

Preventing a couple of companies from monopolizing the lions share of media outlets would go a long way, but that ship has sailed.

The other issue is that sensationalism and clickbait works. And there's no real way to fix that problem in a model where advertising is the primary revenue source. As it stands an article thrown together in 10 minutes from a couple of tweets and given a clickbait headline will get orders of magnitude more views than a well edited and researched long form article about an important subject.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

the bitcoin of weed posted:

you'd need to remove the profit incentive from publications entirely

which is tricky without getting rid of capitalism

yeah, having the media be state-run has its OWN share of problems and in a capitalist system the only other real option is profit-driven

I'd say that maybe media companies have to be non-profit and can only be owned by non-profits but I don't know enough Business Law to know if that'd even help

Thoguh posted:

Preventing a couple of companies from monopolizing the lions share of media outlets would go a long way, but that ship has sailed.

Yeah breaking up Ma Bell was all well and good but all it accomplished in the long run was to replace Ma Bell with Ma Comcast a few decades later

Maybe if we two-prong it by (a) breaking up media companies into a billion independent newspapers and websites, and (b) making regs forcing media to be non-profit in some way that actually worked, that would help??? I'm not a think tank guys, I'm just a shitposter

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

loquacius posted:

I was given to believe that powercrazy was a gator, this does not add up :raise:

don’t believe everything you read. also that poster is not powercrazy

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

don’t believe everything you read. also that poster is not powercrazy

Oh right poo poo sorry

I can't keep all the usernames that have changed since the suck zone started straight

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

loquacius posted:

Have the government fund journalists and break up the big media companies.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Lurker's Guide to the Suck Zone: How to tell the posters by their posts

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Forward: "We're All Terrible. We're All Deranged. We're All Terribly Deranged"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

loquacius posted:

Turn us into a culture that values critical thinking and a ruthless and objective examination of the sources and biases of the media we take in, rather than just shouting FAKE NEWS or CONCERN TROLL or RUSSIAN BOT at anything we don't like.

So yeah, probably not happening.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
i will destroy the media

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

docbeard posted:

Turn us into a culture that values critical thinking and a ruthless and objective examination of the sources and biases of the media we take in, rather than just shouting FAKE NEWS or CONCERN TROLL or RUSSIAN BOT at anything we don't like.

So yeah, probably not happening.

Bullshit

Most problems in America are political. We need adequate anti-trust laws and regulations. You're Lib lack of faith in people is crap because the main offenders in our "Idiocracy" are college-educated pundits who deliberately misinform people (or whose brains are mush from centrist consumption)

• Locked thread