Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

vorebane posted:

I guess I was interpreting the leave a crippled enemy goal to be capturing them, but I see how it could also be for just leaving them on the ice.

"Crippled" in this case means disarmed but still mobile, aka the "we can't even be bothered to finish you off" humiliation. That one's pretty challenging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Orders sent.

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's in a hole, you can't charge across elevation changes.

Are you sure about this? Megamek allows charging over elevation changes and a quick scroll through the rules doesn't show anything contradicting it. All you need is a straight path to the target, no turns allowed.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Why would you want to charge into a hole?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Artificer posted:

Why would you want to charge into a hole?

To elbow drop some fool from the edge.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Gwaihir posted:

I don't think Battle Armor suffer from the traditional infantry drawbacks you're describing- A mech attacking a BA unit just hits a random trooper which takes normal weapon damage. BA don't suffer from burst fire damage dealt by stuff like small pulse lasers or machine guns like conventional infantry do. The only BA in extra danger from cluster rounds are the VTOL Sylphs, but none of the players brought them.

Burst fire (and other) weapons have specific tables for use against conventional infantry, where they do substantially more damage, which is what you're talking about, but Area of Effect weapons still apply their damage to every trooper in a battle armor unit, which is quite dangerous when you consider that an LB 10X can do 10 damage to each BA in the unit, sans modifiers.

Admittedly, the big caveat is that I can't remember if all pulse lasers are area of effect, or just the small ones: even if the bigger ones aren't though, the large pulse lasers are still quite dangerous due to their increased hit chance.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 10, 2016

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Nah, area of effect weapons are like, Long Tom artillery, the bombs from the Kirghizes, or the bomb packs the Sylphs use. LBX10s aren't area of effect weapons though. Neither are pulses.
(I think the exception is Flamers/Plasma/Infernos, but I'll have to check TW).

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Good doggies are also area of effect weapons, but we won't be seeing any here.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Gwaihir posted:

Nah, area of effect weapons are like, Long Tom artillery, the bombs from the Kirghizes, or the bomb packs the Sylphs use. LBX10s aren't area of effect weapons though. Neither are pulses.
(I think the exception is Flamers/Plasma/Infernos, but I'll have to check TW).

Ah, I see: the auto cannons distribute their damage, but the flamers, machine guns, and small pulses don't. That's not so as bad. I think the two Ultra AC/20s are clusters as well, which might be ugly.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Gwaihir posted:

I don't think Battle Armor suffer from the traditional infantry drawbacks you're describing- A mech attacking a BA unit just hits a random trooper which takes normal weapon damage. BA don't suffer from burst fire damage dealt by stuff like small pulse lasers or machine guns like conventional infantry do. The only BA in extra danger from cluster rounds are the VTOL Sylphs, but none of the players brought them.

This is correct. BA doesn't suffer extra damage for being out in the open, and damage is assigned to a random trooper instead of 'Kill X people' like with Infantry. BA does have to worry about getting roasted to death or drowning (except those with Fire-resistant armor or the ability to submerge respectively), but other than that, they're actually pretty god drat tanky, even when compared to your average 'Mech. Having to deal 55 damage for a standard Elemental point to completely kill it is no easy feat for some lighter machines, and they can absorb even more damage when you factor in that your 10+ damage PPC shot might hit a trooper with only 2 armor left instead of that mofo who's still sitting at full health right next to him.

There's a reason why the IS tried to build dedicated anti-BA Battlemechs in the 3050s and 60s. You get ambushed by those suckers, and its like trying to kill cockroaches. Except the cockroaches have guns.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Very off-topic, but look! We've taken yet another tiny step towards realizing actual fusion power: http://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms13493

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
The Timber Wolf is planning on moving to Hex 1442 and firing 2 HMLs and 2 LRMs at the Gargoyle D, or 2 LRMs and 1 ER Large at Nova Cat D: that should bring the heat back down with the help of the cold.

I'm also considering an Elemental drop to 2428, but I'm not sure if they can fire into the Ravine from there, since -7/-8 seems severe enough to block LOS. My thinking is that an enemy mech might break off to stop them from plinking away with the Gauss Rifle, which might give someone else a chance to drop on the mech.

Otherwise, I'll probably wait a turn for the Wolf Spider Prime to run into the trees, and then either try to land Elementals on it to swarm it, or drop near it in the hopes of getting lucky against the head.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Rorahusky posted:

This is correct. BA doesn't suffer extra damage for being out in the open, and damage is assigned to a random trooper instead of 'Kill X people' like with Infantry. BA does have to worry about getting roasted to death or drowning (except those with Fire-resistant armor or the ability to submerge respectively), but other than that, they're actually pretty god drat tanky, even when compared to your average 'Mech. Having to deal 55 damage for a standard Elemental point to completely kill it is no easy feat for some lighter machines, and they can absorb even more damage when you factor in that your 10+ damage PPC shot might hit a trooper with only 2 armor left instead of that mofo who's still sitting at full health right next to him.

There's a reason why the IS tried to build dedicated anti-BA Battlemechs in the 3050s and 60s. You get ambushed by those suckers, and its like trying to kill cockroaches. Except the cockroaches have guns.

I apply a rough 50% hitpoint bonus to battle armor. The bleedover is almost at least 4 points (36.5%) and often 5 to 9. It's probably a bit below 50% as SRMs and MGs do pull it down a lot, but they also spread things out too much, better to bleed over 4 points with a 15-point weapon and destroy 20% of their combat capacity than to get max use out of one's weapons, unless one can guarantee a full unit kill.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 11, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
A player requested an extension so we're paused 'till Wednesday. I'll find some other way to keep you guys entertained in the mean-time.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009
I sent orders to advance to 1005 and shoot the ice ferret with everything, but this is seeming more and more foolhardy as time goes on. I could use advice, thread.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Hm, you could MASC to 0811 which gives you a very good defensive mod (+3 from hexes moved, +1 partial cover) and unload on the Wolf Spider (7s if you use ER ammo, 9 for HE).

1005 gives you good hits on the Ice Ferret (7s with missiles, 5 with pulses) and you're at least at medium range from everything else BUT the Ice Ferret, so the shots against you aren't super bad, but it's still generally a little more dangerous to you.

You're really a great area denial mech with that HE ammo though, so it pays a bit to be aggressive with your positioning. No one wants to be within 6 hexes of you at all, because those ATMs pump out an outrageous amount of damage.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Centurium posted:

I sent orders to advance to 1005 and shoot the ice ferret with everything, but this is seeming more and more foolhardy as time goes on. I could use advice, thread.

You could fire at the Wolf Spider as the primary target at short range if you move to 9 hexes or closer (more distance seems good though) and use one or both pulses on the Ice Ferret as a secondary target (or the Wolf Spider too, if you move to 8 hexes).

The Wolf Spider at +2 (+1 move and +1 partial cover), the Ice Ferret is at +4.

I haven't checked 0809 for incoming fire, but you'd be at +2 movement to-hit and +2 against incoming fire. You'd need 7s to hit the Wolf Spider with anything, but leg hits are lost. Comparatively from the same spot the Ice Ferret (I think you can get both arms on it by twisting 0910) can be hit on 9s and 7s, including leg hits. If you split the fire it'd be 7s on the Wolf Spider and 8s for the Ice Ferret, but come to think of it I'd just pour everything on the Wolf Spider... maybe drop a shot for the two heat.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Centurium posted:

I could use advice, thread.

You're the last `Mech in your Star for a reason, and it's not because you're bad at playing clean-up. Don't be the only `Mech shooting at a target, pick something everyone else is trying to open up and then fill all the holes with missiles.

Edit: Try to leave the faster targets to `Mechs with to-hit bonuses like the Ebon Jaguar if you can.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

You're the last `Mech in your Star for a reason, and it's not because you're bad at playing clean-up. Don't be the only `Mech shooting at a target, pick something everyone else is trying to open up and then fill all the holes with missiles.

Edit: Try to leave the faster targets to `Mechs with to-hit bonuses like the Ebon Jaguar if you can.

That said, I'm (Ebon Jaguar) lighting up the Summoner this turn. So it might be an idea to try and fill the holes I make with your missiles. Assuming I make any :saddowns:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Tonight's entertainment is an SWTOR update. I was enjoying my freedom from that LP perhaps a bit too much.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009

Bloody Pom posted:

That said, I'm (Ebon Jaguar) lighting up the Summoner this turn. So it might be an idea to try and fill the holes I make with your missiles. Assuming I make any :saddowns:

You'd need luck to penetrate on the summoner.

Right now the sheet reads:
Night Gyr is shooting all at the ferret
Ebon Jaguar is shooting the summoner
Gargoyle is shooting the wolf spider with 2 ppcs.

The big question is what the executioner intends to do. The night gyr + me (all shooting he) has a decent chance of eliminating the ferret.

On the other hand, adding my shots has a decent chance of seriously damaging either the wolf spider or the summoner. With the executioner, a kill would not be outrageous. I think he makes sense, we still need to burn a lot of armour.

Does 0811 have los to the wolf spider?

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Centurium posted:

You'd need luck to penetrate on the summoner.

Right now the sheet reads:
Night Gyr is shooting all at the ferret
Ebon Jaguar is shooting the summoner
Gargoyle is shooting the wolf spider with 2 ppcs.

The big question is what the executioner intends to do. The night gyr + me (all shooting he) has a decent chance of eliminating the ferret.

On the other hand, adding my shots has a decent chance of seriously damaging either the wolf spider or the summoner. With the executioner, a kill would not be outrageous. I think he makes sense, we still need to burn a lot of armour.

Does 0811 have los to the wolf spider?

Yes 0811 has LOS on the Wolf Spider D

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009
I've decided, perhaps foolishly, that I like my original orders.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Well, someone does have to deal with that awful speed sooner or later. It's stressful to know most shots are going to miss (+4 mediums were bad enough, must be frustrating to hunt the teleporting +5 Screamer) but they have to go down.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

RA Rx posted:

Well, someone does have to deal with that awful speed sooner or later. It's stressful to know most shots are going to miss (+4 mediums were bad enough, must be frustrating to hunt the teleporting +5 Screamer) but they have to go down.

Imagining what the Screamer must look like is hilarious to me because you've got your lumbering assaults and heavies, some semi-quick mediums, some fast lights all moving around, and then there's just this dude going "aaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, touching down, firing, and then zipping off to a point like half a kilometer away

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Due to circumstances out of her control, Neopie was unable to send in orders and requested an alternate be called up to take over the Executioner. Unfortunately, due to those same circumstances, she wasn't able to let me know until about 11:00 PM last night which isn't enough time (I feel) to arrange for an alternate and send orders in the usual way.

I have a doctor's appointment this morning that will take an hour or so, so the first Alternate who sends orders for the Executioner gets control of it. If this doesn't happen by the time the update starts I'll do something to avoid punishing the players for not having their full compliment in the fight.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Oh man alternate's opportunity of a lifetime, that executioner is amazing.

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011
Assuming none of the other alternates got orders in first, the Executioner will be moving to 1107, shooting the Ice Ferret and kicking the damned thing. If I'm right, shots should be at 8, kicking at 7 or 8. Lower if the Ice Ferret takes enough damage to drop it prone before the physical phase. The summoner at 1412 is the alternate target, just in case someone blasts the Ice Ferret first.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
:black101:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Don't forget that the kicks will (probably?) be eating penalties due to the pilots being Clanners, and thus melee averse.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Shouldn't matter with a pilot as good as the Nova Captain is.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Gwaihir posted:

Shouldn't matter with a pilot as good as the Nova Captain is.

I wasn't discouraging the kicks, I'm just reminding people of the Clan pilot melee penalty when they're calculating rolls as we haven't seen it (on the player side) in awhile. :black101:

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011
It'll be 3 piloting, +2 running, +4 enemy movement and possibly a +1 for clan pilot. There's also the bonus for kicking, iirc -2.

Which totals to a pretty respectable 8+ and the check to avoid falling over is 3+ if I'm not mistaken. As a bonus there is enough fire on the Ice Ferret that there's a chance it'll fall over before the physical phase.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Remmon posted:

Assuming none of the other alternates got orders in first, the Executioner will be moving to 1107, shooting the Ice Ferret and kicking the damned thing. If I'm right, shots should be at 8, kicking at 7 or 8. Lower if the Ice Ferret takes enough damage to drop it prone before the physical phase. The summoner at 1412 is the alternate target, just in case someone blasts the Ice Ferret first.

Don't forget to PM or email the orders; posting in the thread may not count.

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

thetruegentleman posted:

Don't forget to PM or email the orders; posting in the thread may not count.

I did that before I went posting in the thread for precisely that reason.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Zaodai posted:

I wasn't discouraging the kicks, I'm just reminding people of the Clan pilot melee penalty when they're calculating rolls as we haven't seen it (on the player side) in awhile. :black101:

I don't think it should really apply here. We are fighting bandits after all :agesilaus:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Bloody Pom posted:

I don't think it should really apply here. We are fighting bandits after all :agesilaus:

The penalty isn't for targeting Clan enemies, it's because the Clans get ~*triggered*~ when trying to melee because it's not proper fighting like a ponce, so they suck at it compared to IS pilots. Except for the Steel Vipers, I guess, since they got a Steiner Rules injection.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what the Crossbow's designed to do. :magical:

Well, that's one way to clear an objective two objectives.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 14, 2016

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

:f5: Always ready to see what happens next but this setting really stands out for some reason. I think because of that old MW2 lore entry about an ice fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, that's one way to clear an objective two objectives.

This should be good. :smug:

• Locked thread