Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

Also the souls don't actual matter very much, the game is just designed to trick you into thinking they do, for some reason.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BrandSanderson/status/1525606315170467840

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I like that DS3's solution " how do we make the player go back to this specific spot they haven't been to in probably 20 hours" was to just magically teleport you there after fighting one of the Lords of Cinder. No time to rest, refill flasks, get some estus soup or go level up. Just send you right into another boss fight . Hope you can kill the Dancer in one go so you don't lose all the souls you just got

That's about the least of my gripes about the bullshit that the souls games throw at me.

Frank Frank posted:

She has a very long reach and weird attack tells which cause serious problems if triggered early but yeah, she’s not terrible late game

To wit. After Aldrich and his arrow thunderstorm instakill bullshit, the Dancer is a welcome change aside from that auto grab thing.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 20:00 on Jun 13, 2022

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've been getting mad at games for pushing 100 GB lately, but Ark Survival Evolved just showed up for free on steam and it's apparently getting up towards 300 GB for the whole game + DLCs :negative:

It's bonkers. I get internet speeds are generally faster and hard drives bigger but come on

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ilmucche posted:

It's bonkers. I get internet speeds are generally faster and hard drives bigger but come on

There's also the ever expanding CoD install sizes. There was that thing about how either last year or the year before where the install size was so big it took up the entire free space of a base PS4.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

ilmucche posted:

In both these cases it's lovely optimization on a 7 y.o. game.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

and Sanderson really knows Systems

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Randalor posted:

Is there an award for most awkward out-of-context line ever spoken? Because this might be it.

I started playing the new Lego Star Wars game, and a few things dragging it down are:
A) It seems to "only" covers the movies, it doesn't seem to cover the EU stuff (so no Rebels, Freemaker Adventures, Clone Wars show, ect) other than some DLC characters. I'm still fairly early on, so I'm hoping that changes, but so far no sign of the stuff.
B) The game manages to both feel longer but also much shorter for each movie compared to previous Lego Star Wars games. There's only a few actual stages for each game, padded out with open world sections and cutscenes that you have to manually trigger.
C) The open world segments just... aren't that good? Especially if you're like me and have a tendency to want to do a sweep of the area, get as many kyber bricks as you can (because you need them to unlock the character skills), except that a bunch of the kyber blocks don't even seem to show up until later movies, let alone need characters I don't have yet.

I'm going to let you know right now that the very first thing you need to do is go to Episode 7, play through the first story mission of Rey gutting her Star Destroyer, and then play however you like. You literally do not get the Scavenger skills, even if you have a scavenger, until you do that.

When you're in an open world, any time you see a person with a chat bubble with an "i" above their head (NOT "...", but "i"), you have to talk to them. They share rumors which unlock bricks on other planets.

You cannot clean sweep an open world segment until you've been everywhere, and even then there are conditional quests that only appear after completing quests on other planets. Examples of this are quests from Naboo, Coruscant, and the loving Jundland Wastes from Tatooine. You will get quests that tell you to go to 2, 3, or 6 other planets before you can finish this quest so get your corkboard with red twine ready to speed up the process of getting all the bricks.

You are going to spend so much loving time on Tatooine.

That all being said, once you get the datacards to unlock the multipliers for studs, there really isn't all that much to unlock with bricks outside of a few good things, like upgrading Bounty Hunters to have a scattershot ability that just breaks the shooting minigames wide open. You can choose to skip the class-based square-goes-in-square-hole minigames which I would say go for immediately, although I oddly enjoy the Astromech one so I left it alone. There's some kind of reward for completion on Yavin 4 in a room that has a random lever with a percentage on it. We're currently at 70% between my father and I when we play as he recovers from hip surgery, and we have 1050/1200 bricks :shepicide:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Randalor posted:

Rebels is considered Canon, so... WHERE'S CHOPPER? FIGHT ME, YOU COWARDS!

Dash Rendar is also canon. He was recanonized! no Dash is clearly a huge thing dragging down the game

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Is Kyle Katarn canon? I am afraid to find out :ohdear:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
No, he's Legends. Sorry.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah since Kyle's story is mixed up in Luke's New Jedi Order he doesn't really fit in anymore.

Another thing that's kind of dumb about Arkham Knight is the idea that Scarecrow develops a fear gas that goes through gas masks and protective clothing. I can see that being an issue for normal people but come on, like Batman wouldn't have some kind of special biohazard suit. A good percentage of his enemies like to throw around mind control poo poo.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
so you're telling me Tales of the Bounty Hunters short story collection isn't canon?!

BULLSHIT

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

NBC gear is heavy and hot and uncomfortable/restricting and really not what you want to be wearing while parkouring around a city.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah since Kyle's story is mixed up in Luke's New Jedi Order he doesn't really fit in anymore.

Kyle also stole the Death Star plans in Dark Forces, which conflicts with the whole story of Rogue One.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

gohuskies posted:

Kyle also stole the Death Star plans in Dark Forces, which conflicts with the whole story of Rogue One.

eight or nine groups stole and then lost the death star plans it was a whole thing

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

gohuskies posted:

and IG-88 literally uploaded itsself into the Death Star and took control right before its destruction

good thing it woke up and sent all the other IG-88s from it original facility all over the galaxy before hand :getin:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Tunicate posted:

eight or nine groups stole and then lost the death star plans it was a whole thing

So many Bothans. Bothans for miles.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Philippe posted:

So many Bothans. Bothans for miles.

That was a completely different Death Star get this amateur poo poo out of here!!!!

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Another thing that's kind of dumb about Arkham Knight is the idea that Scarecrow develops a fear gas that goes through gas masks and protective clothing. I can see that being an issue for normal people but come on, like Batman wouldn't have some kind of special biohazard suit. A good percentage of his enemies like to throw around mind control poo poo.

Batman loves gambling that he can take it and then visibly recover in front of the villain who used it on him cause it really shits them up when he does that.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Personally I’d spare myself the brain damage of being subjected to experimental psychotics even if I couldn’t do cool parkour stuff because I was wearing an uncomfortable suit, but I guess that’s why I’m not a super hero

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

thebardyspoon posted:

Batman loves gambling that he can take it and then visibly recover in front of the villain who used it on him cause it really shits them up when he does that.

"What ARE you!?" from Asylum is still one of my favorite bits from the whole series

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Batman is his own greatest fear so scaring him just makes him more powerful.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Idk who decided Sekiro needed a dedicated “suck up enemy item/money drops” button where the Use Item button normally goes but it’s really messing me up. I guess I can remap buttons so it’s a very minor gripe but why not just have have the money warp into your inventory and save that button for something good if you wanna expedite exploration? I’m already a zombie cyborg ninja, my disbelief can handle a little more.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Speaking of Sekiro, I reinstalled it last night since I remembered the game now allows you to fight bosses at will through the save statue.

My complaint is that this can only be used for major bosses, such as Lady Butterfly and Genechiro. There’s no way to fight mini-bosses like seven spears or the centipede guys unless you play through the whole game again.

Those fights could also use a quick-retry button. When you die to the arena bosses you’re kicked back to the main game and you need to navigate all the menus again to retry the boss.

I also wanted to start a new game without Kuro’s charm but my previous self started a new game before I uninstalled and there is no way to restart a game so I would have to complete the entire game THEN start my charmless run.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Last Celebration posted:

Idk who decided Sekiro needed a dedicated “suck up enemy item/money drops” button where the Use Item button normally goes but it’s really messing me up. I guess I can remap buttons so it’s a very minor gripe but why not just have have the money warp into your inventory and save that button for something good if you wanna expedite exploration? I’m already a zombie cyborg ninja, my disbelief can handle a little more.

It's for the bigbrain move of clearing through an area, leaving all the coins on the ground, then you pop that balloon that doubles your money. Since you've left it on the ground now your pickups double and the balloon isn't wasted on you popping it and then dying to the next enemy.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
…gently caress, that’s actually a really good idea.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

moosecow333 posted:

I also wanted to start a new game without Kuro’s charm but my previous self started a new game before I uninstalled and there is no way to restart a game so I would have to complete the entire game THEN start my charmless run.

I’m not entirely sure how exactly the game tracks it, but the charmless option isn’t locked to NG+, you just have to have beaten the game at some point. You can do it on a fresh save after you unlock it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Somehow, even with mods correcting for the most extreme deficiencies, I feel like I'm starting to run afoul of Oblivion's busted level scaling. I have a mod that lets me freely put points into attributes as I like (normally the biggest issue when it comes to leveling) so I thought it'd be perfectly cromulent to pick major skills that made sense and not worry about overleveling because I'm not falling behind due to losing out on attribute gains. This...didn't entirely go as planned.

The long and short of it, I've been playing the game like the other post-Oblivion ones, where you're not really punished or hosed over in any meaningful way for hopping from POI to POI not giving a poo poo. (Oblivion also feels like Fallout 3 where lots of quests certainly do exist, but you have to go find them first, so I've done maybe all of five quests total.) The end result is that just by clearing out the full ring of locations surrounding the Imperial City I've ballooned to level 20~ or so and the game has responded by starting to spawn the nastier stuff. It's not totally outside my capabilities, but it's definitely a big shift.

I suspect things will start to correct towards the mean as I get the next wave of gear upgrades and I get a few more critical perks unlocked + finish progressing my main offense skill, especially since I also have a mod that caps out enemy levels so things can't get too crazy. But still, oof.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

thecluckmeme posted:

You are going to spend so much loving time on Tatooine.

Well thats just consistent with every loving movie and show in the universe. They always end up on Tatooine at some time because the writers think a desert planet is the loving most interesting thing in the world.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

The Dancer's grab does have a visual cue, most grab attacks do, but
a) you gotta learn it through trial and error
b) the best tactic if the grab didn't exist is to stay in her butt and keep hitting it, which is the worst perspective for you to actually see the cue

I struggled a lot against her until I put some more points into Vigor and wore heavier armor. If the grab isn't a one-hit, you can risk getting caught by it and finish the fight real quick.

I'm sorry, I was unclear - I don't mean no animation or an attack stance; a grab can't be blocked, but until you've been hit once, you won't know what is a normal attack and what isn't. I meant some kind of a special aura or a symbol, like in Nioh or Sekiro.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Shai-Hulud posted:

Well thats just consistent with every loving movie and show in the universe. They always end up on Tatooine at some time because the writers think a desert planet is the loving most interesting thing in the world.

Also it's cheap to film there.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
And for my own gripe: I've recently started playing a game called Vikings: Wolves of Asgard. I thought it would be something akin to Diablo, but it's somewhat different, the loot isn't as prononunced (enemies drop mundane items which only differ by special effects, any unique items are in chests and sometimes from Bosses), there are dedicated character traits to your PC, the levels are kept low - all in all, it's more of action game with RPG trappings than loot driven adventure. Still surprisingly enjoyable.

What is dragging it down are a type of enemies introduced mid-game, the Priests (and part of my gripe results in me playing on a hardest difficulty settings, which quintuples enemies' stats, HP included) - they have an unstoppable healing spell, which heals about 90% of their (or a nearby opponent's) HP. So far there are two types, Earth (which have an unstoppable spell making an enemy invincible for a period of time) and Water Priests (which can summon Water Elementals and have ranged attack). Those healing and shield spells have no cooldown, no limit and no charging period, so you're at a mercy of an AI if you have no way to disable enemies. I've started to run past them when I can, since fighting them isn't enjoyable. I can't even tell if they are a good support unit, since the AI targets healing randomly, regardless of enemies HP - so sometimes they'll heal themselves rather than an injured enemy, sometime they'll heal an uninjured enemy rather that themselves.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Philippe posted:

Also it's cheap to film there.

Are you joking, the travel costs alone are astronomical

Plus with the all the payments to Hutts you're better off just doing it on Jakku and covering up the 'JAKKU POST' boxes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While the game is still good as a whole everything with the titular "Arkham Knight" in Batman Arkham Knight is just bad. I can see why Rocksteady/WB wanted to have "Arkham" in the name to make sure people knew it was set in the same universe but it has extremely shaky justification for why Jason would use that name. Also the game does a really poor job of actually hiding his identity because once they start introducing the Jason Todd stuff it becomes super obvious that it is him. Although even before that Jason Todd is the only person who fits the bill of someone who knows all of Batman's secrets and has a grudge against him.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It should have been Deathstroke

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

John Murdoch posted:

Somehow, even with mods correcting for the most extreme deficiencies, I feel like I'm starting to run afoul of Oblivion's busted level scaling. I have a mod that lets me freely put points into attributes as I like (normally the biggest issue when it comes to leveling) so I thought it'd be perfectly cromulent to pick major skills that made sense and not worry about overleveling because I'm not falling behind due to losing out on attribute gains. This...didn't entirely go as planned.

The long and short of it, I've been playing the game like the other post-Oblivion ones, where you're not really punished or hosed over in any meaningful way for hopping from POI to POI not giving a poo poo. (Oblivion also feels like Fallout 3 where lots of quests certainly do exist, but you have to go find them first, so I've done maybe all of five quests total.) The end result is that just by clearing out the full ring of locations surrounding the Imperial City I've ballooned to level 20~ or so and the game has responded by starting to spawn the nastier stuff. It's not totally outside my capabilities, but it's definitely a big shift.

I suspect things will start to correct towards the mean as I get the next wave of gear upgrades and I get a few more critical perks unlocked + finish progressing my main offense skill, especially since I also have a mod that caps out enemy levels so things can't get too crazy. But still, oof.

Not unless you've modded something in to help you!

You get damage from your strength and weapon skills, but half of your damage comes directly from your weapon. Which is entirely based on type. Whose availability is based on your level. Which caps out at 20 with daedra weapons. Assuming you have high weapons kill and strength since you're putting in full attributes every level and that you have a level appropriate weapon you basically stop scaling damage at around 20 and every level after that will just make enemies tougher but give you no more access to significant damage upgrades.

EDIT: Oh yeah the mod capping enemy levels would be key to not having things suck. I normally just cap my own level at ~20 to make late game Oblivion tolerable.

Phigs has a new favorite as of 16:15 on Jun 15, 2022

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
They should have just done it as Jason Todd / the Red Hood rather than half-arsedly pretending they were doing something else.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

While the game is still good as a whole everything with the titular "Arkham Knight" in Batman Arkham Knight is just bad. I can see why Rocksteady/WB wanted to have "Arkham" in the name to make sure people knew it was set in the same universe but it has extremely shaky justification for why Jason would use that name. Also the game does a really poor job of actually hiding his identity because once they start introducing the Jason Todd stuff it becomes super obvious that it is him. Although even before that Jason Todd is the only person who fits the bill of someone who knows all of Batman's secrets and has a grudge against him.

What really hurts it is that Jason Todd was never mentioned once in any of the preceding games, AFAIK. So they had to do something to establish the character as existing in that universe at all, but uh, right next to introducing Mysterious New Character. Oops!

Phigs posted:

Not unless you've modded something in to help you!

You get damage from your strength and weapon skills, but half of your damage comes directly from your weapon. Which is entirely based on type. Whose availability is based on your level. Which caps out at 20 with daedra weapons. Assuming you have high weapons kill and strength since you're putting in full attributes every level and that you have a level appropriate weapon you basically stop scaling damage at around 20 and every level after that will just make enemies tougher but give you no more access to significant damage upgrades.

EDIT: Oh yeah the mod capping enemy levels would be key to not having things suck. I normally just cap my own level at ~20 to make late game Oblivion tolerable.

It's downright nutty to me that in a game with a level cap of 50~ the basic loot progression is designed to cap out around level 20ish. (Though I think the intent is to augment a bit further with enchantments.) And indeed, while I haven't encountered tons and tons of the good stuff yet, Daedra weapons and Ebony armor are starting to trickle in.

That said, today's jaunt towards Skingrad reminded me of being in this exact position before in Skyrim. I swear that something about how the game spawns enemies or calculates damage or whatever resets whenever you load the game back up. Because whereas yesterday's slog that inspired my original post had been a real drain, today I burned through multiple locations with comparatively much less trouble, with the minor exception of one necromancer lair where I got swarmed by all sorts of poo poo. Hell, I found a goblin lair where I could obliterate most of them in 1-2 hits. Obviously the extra skill points I've been earning along the way are making a difference and contributing to the rubber-banding, but still. Guess it's also conceivable I just got unlucky and blundered into some the harder-by-design dungeons. :shrug:

Edit: Judging from the wiki page for one of said dungeons, yeah sort of. Guessing the underlying flaw is that even with well-managed stats, I nudged into the next highest tier of enemies sans better gear or fully advanced skills, and then the dungeon rolled real bastard spawns from an already pain in the rear end enemy type - Conjurers.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 16:48 on Jun 15, 2022

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I love how Bethesda managed to make an RPG which punishes things like "levelling up" and "setting the skills you want to use as Major"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I still dont think I know how the Oblivion leveling system worked.

The enemy scaling had some issues. Once you were high enough level, random highway bandits will be decked out in full glass armor. Bruh, why are robbing me? Just sell your armor worth thousands of gold pieces if you need money that bad.