Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blow Dog
Aug 14, 2004
no

Confused_Donkey posted:

Here's what I got in my stable

1986 328IS Mtech-1 (2.8L M20 Stroker Motor, ground up restoration)

Tech 1's foreva. That looks great - can you tell me more about the restoration? Any blogs/threads I can read up on? Doing mine soon, would love some pointers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shampoo posted:

In MA, you're not allowed. They have to be the standard "US" shape (4" by 8"?)

Here in Indiana my Mini-owing neighbor got a ticket for a euro-styled front plate.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Here in Indiana my Mini-owing neighbor got a ticket for a euro-styled front plate.

Most places will ticket you. I've been yelled at in NY, WV, MA, CT, and VT. No tickets, though... I managed to talk them out of actually ticketing me, because I had my front plate with me, and claimed that I was coming back from Europe, and hadn't had a chance to get a plate holder for the US plate.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

I see people in CT all the time with Euro front plates. I've heard there's a way to legally keep Euro plates on a car.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

sharkytm posted:

Most places will ticket you. I've been yelled at in NY, WV, MA, CT, and VT. No tickets, though... I managed to talk them out of actually ticketing me, because I had my front plate with me, and claimed that I was coming back from Europe, and hadn't had a chance to get a plate holder for the US plate.

Hahahah what the gently caress. I can't believe they bought that. :psyduck: How could that even be true?

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Ziploc posted:

Hahahah what the gently caress. I can't believe they bought that. :psyduck: How could that even be true?

The car was on a trans-Atlantic ferry at the time. :haw:

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
Brand new 2009 Pontiac G5
155HP(of Fury) 2.2l ecotec w/VVT
5-speed
Bluetooth hands-free
USB port w/iPod control
7-speaker Pioneer sound system with 10" subwoofer in the trunk
...with a bonus-- fake carbon fiber trim bits! ;)

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Doctor Bud posted:

Could be the angle of the ground in relation to the photographer?

No?

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Those stripes are godawful

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
The G5 needs black ASAs or something, now.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

redscare posted:

Those stripes are godawful

They'd look a lot better in black than silver.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Belldandy posted:

They'd look a lot better in black than silver.

You're all quite right. They are god-awful, and black would be nice. I'm totally being Zen and trying to embrace the ugly, though.

Unfortunately it was the only one with a 5-speed and any options on it, within a 50mi radius of where I am (right outside Detroit). Every 5-speed was a stripper with steel wheels and no ABS/cruise control/anything--- because clearly if you want anything other than a Corvette in a manual, you're a cheap-rear end who doesn't like any creature comforts. The color was probably why this one was still around. I joked with my salesperson when I put down the 100$ to hold the vehicle while I waited on the loan paperwork how 'well, I don't think anyone's gonna snatch this from out under me, but...' Got a great laugh out of him,.

The color was definitely a tertiary concern when looking for the car.

Yes, I looked for Cobalts as well. No, I couldn't afford a new SS Turbocharged. I couldn't even get 15K financing for a used 2006 SS Supercharged in this market with around a 700 FICO. It's insanity here in MI. New car financing was vastly easier to get. I had GMS pricing, so it made the new car with a ton of options feasible.

thetechnoloser fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 27, 2009

Confused_Donkey
Mar 16, 2003

Blow Dog posted:

Tech 1's foreva. That looks great - can you tell me more about the restoration? Any blogs/threads I can read up on? Doing mine soon, would love some pointers.

I posted a full build up log on my forum :)

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=90844

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

thetechnoloser posted:

That's a brand new car? Looks like something Korean from the mid 90s.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

When I'm not tooling around in the company Freestar...

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 2, 2014

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Pretty Bonneville. Out of curiosity do you have a lot of people come up to you and complement you on your GTO? Either way, hooray for old american iron.

edit: Was the GTO based on the Lemans? Getting my Pontiacs confused perhaps.

Korwen fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 28, 2009

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

You Am I posted:

That's a brand new car?

Go easy on the guy. I wish my car had a USB port right on the dash. Ironic that GM is one of the first to adopt this feature. Hopefully it's not long before at least one or two USB ports are commonplace.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

Korwen posted:

edit: Was the GTO based on the Lemans? Getting my Pontiacs confused perhaps.

Yeah, it was. The first GTOs were actually LeMans GTOs. Still, confusable to the untrained eye.

nipple clumps
Apr 28, 2005
GUYS I RANKED ON THAT FIGHT :smug:

:gizz::gizz::gizz:
The police called me today because they recovered my motorcycle which was stolen on father's day of last year!

What an insane phone call. I had absolutely 100% given up hope of it ever being recovered. I know it's not the greatest bike in the world, but she was my baby.

I took this picture the day before she was stolen, after I installed my new handlebars:

And on the day I bought her...

Cops say that the bike was dropped on the right side when it was loaded into whatever truck stole it, and that it had all the plastics removed but they were recovered at the scene. The ignition is broken as well, but otherwise it appears to be in full working order.

The guy was busted for another stolen car, and they found my bike at the same location. He said he was holding it for a friend, and now I might have to testify against him in court (supposedly).

:hellyeah:

So, I guess this is my ride yet again. I won't even post laughable pictures of my crappy truck, lol.

turnerburna
Jan 11, 2005
Cobra Commander

thetechnoloser posted:

Unfortunately it was the only one with a 5-speed and any options on it, within a 50mi radius of where I am (right outside Detroit).

Royal Oak Ford sent a guy 250 miles to pickup my car in Ohio...it was probably somewhere near OSU since it's silver with red leather....

Doctor Bud
Jul 25, 2008

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

thetechnoloser posted:

155HP(of Fury) 2.2l ecotec w/VVT
5-speed
Bluetooth hands-free
USB port w/iPod control
7-speaker Pioneer sound system with 10" subwoofer in the trunk
...with a bonus-- fake carbon fiber trim bits! ;)

Looks like a gussied up Cavalier.

e: or Cobalt, yah, the Cobalt...

Doctor Bud fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 28, 2009

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Confused_Donkey posted:

1988 525i (528e, converted to manual/m20b25)

Think I just found my favorite car in the thread. I love E30s but I have a secret lust for a 5 series, even though I probably couldn't afford to have my E30 and an E28/E34.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Doctor Bud posted:

Looks like a gussied up Cavalier.

e: or Cobalt, yah, the Cobalt...

nothing gussied up about it. it IS A cobalt

Doctor Bud
Jul 25, 2008

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

redscare posted:

nothing gussied up about it. it IS A cobalt

The stripes?

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Define "gussied up".

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

ab0z posted:

Define "gussied up".

Someone stuck some crap to it.

Blow Dog
Aug 14, 2004
no

Confused_Donkey posted:

I posted a full build up log on my forum :)

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=90844

ok that was just mental!
How come it's a LHD car on UK plates?

eThug
Jul 2, 2004
DD: 06 Tundra

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Fun: 1990 Mustang 5.0 LX

Click here for the full 800x535 image.

Psionic Sasquatch
Oct 31, 2006
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

My 1994 Mitsubishi 3000gt SL 5 speed. Gonna twin turbo it very soon (and all the other goodie upgrades to go with it)

Huhness
Dec 12, 2005
Donkey Dabber.
2008 Ford Focus XR5 Turbo or ST. Electric Orange and Recaro Leather seats.

Great engine! 2.5L 5 Cylinder which Ford have managed to get the most awesome sounds from.

poisoned pie
Jan 15, 2005

Can you feel the colors?

Das Volk posted:

No?

Yup, straight up gangsta camba. The numberplate is [AZN318]. The previous owner was extremely asian.

Its got 15" stockers on it now though.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

Huhness posted:

2008 Ford Focus XR5 Turbo or ST. Electric Orange and Recaro Leather seats.

Great engine! 2.5L 5 Cylinder which Ford have managed to get the most awesome sounds from.

Does it have the goofy backwards indicator/wiper controls?

I drove a focus once and it was highly irritating.

Huhness
Dec 12, 2005
Donkey Dabber.
Yea but so do all Euro cars in Australia. I owned an Astra before this and it was the same. So was the Barina I used to drive. From my friends accounts of driving the car you flick the wipers a few times instead of the indicators when you first drive it and then you're a master at it.

case
Mar 27, 2005

Confused_Donkey posted:

Here's what I got in my stable

1986 328IS Mtech-1 (2.8L M20 Stroker Motor, ground up restoration)

I would love to know more about this car and it's restoration. I love my tech 2 but there is something about the lines on the tech 1.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Huhness posted:

This is the only Ford I'd consider purchasing. If Ford & GM started selling their European models here a decade ago, we wouldn't be in this mess.

twokota
Sep 9, 2001

Waiting to fall...

The broken weekend douchebaggery machine

The road trip mobile

The 5.9l AWD "its raining and or snowing out" mobile. Also the "I need to carry more than two adults" mobile.

A picture of my Honda XR650R during its complete teardown and rebuild. It's got all black plastics and a bigger tank on it among all the engine mods now. I forgot to get pics after I finished it.

upsilon
Jan 5, 2004

---

upsilon fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 15, 2010

ThwartedEfforts
Aug 20, 2002

-Spiffy- posted:

Does it have the goofy backwards indicator/wiper controls?

I drove a focus once and it was highly irritating.

Left- or right-hand drive?

Those of us who drive on the right side of the road have the wiper stalk nearest the glass. I'd love to know what dictates this, as not only is it the other way around for left-hand drive cars, but some manufacturers also swap the stalks over so that the indicators are nearest the glass in all markets. For example my UK model Cadillac had the American "lazy boy" setup. Stick in D, slouch against the door, your index finger pushing the indicator up or down at junctions and your left hand free to grope passengers and consume beverages -- hence the obsession with cupholders :)

upsilon posted:

Has a wonderful 4.2L V8 and an interior unmatched in its class.

If you're a) Dracula and b) have never sat in an Alfa Romeo. Great noise though.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Most UK models have the indicator/light controls on the left-hand side of the steering wheel, with wiper controls on the right.

Japanese cars tend to reverse this from my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limpy wimpy
Jul 1, 2007
08 Toyota Tundra with the 5.7L V8