Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Momonari kun posted:

Just got back from China and am wondering what to do with these shots from the Great Wall. The weather was really rainy and while some shots have a good atmosphere to them, some are just plain hazy. I'm not really sure what I need to do in post to get rid of the color cast in them.

Well, the most successful one is the second to the bottom. The rest of them arent really successful at all. The problem is you took a lot of long focal lengths into a bunch of haze, which means its just a huge gray filter over everything. To capture any sense of depth you need the gray to drop off like it does only with a wide angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
The second from the bottom is definitely the best but the first has potential too I think. Regardless of foggy haze they all look horribly underexposed to me though.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Increased contrast and warming the whole thing up helps with the haze. I still had to do some brushing to deal with the structures in the back.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I have two frames that are almost the same. I made one black and white. I can't decide which I like best.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
Colour. B&W has no detail in the sky.

orangeyousunny
Dec 3, 2007
Yes.

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.

Omegaslast posted:

Well, the most successful one is the second to the bottom. The rest of them arent really successful at all. The problem is you took a lot of long focal lengths into a bunch of haze, which means its just a huge gray filter over everything. To capture any sense of depth you need the gray to drop off like it does only with a wide angle.

Yeah, because of the heavy (and unexpected) rain and lack of a weather sealed camera, I had to just shoot what I could between spurts of rain, camera settings be damned. Not really a day I had the luxury to fiddle with my camera on location. I also have problems trusting my camera's exposure, and usually have it compensated down and just bump it in post. I also had my 25mm and my 70-300mm lenses with me and mostly wanted to get a lot of the space compression with the long lens. The ones shot with my 25mm turned out the best. Once the weather cleared up near the end of the hike, I got some good ones, though.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

TomR posted:

I have two frames that are almost the same. I made one black and white. I can't decide which I like best.
Personally, I like the richness of the color, but I also prefer how the geese stand out more in the B&W.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

TomR posted:

The color one is way more interesting, but I think you could make the B&W one significantly better by messing around with the color levels, etc. when you're converting to color (assuming you took the pictures digitally in color). As someone else mentioned the geese getting lost in the darkness in the color version is a negative, but could probably be fixed as well.

orangeyousunny posted:

I like this one a lot. Nice framing of a location most people would either walk right by or compose poorly.

edit: I'll add some content from my trip up to the Cascades yesterday:

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jun 7, 2010

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Taken with some expired film.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

TomR posted:

Color one is nicer except it's lacking a lot of detail in the shadows. Fix your curves.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I went over this one again. Better?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

TomR posted:

I went over this one again. Better?

Yea, nice to have the land at the left side back in the photo. I did like aspects of the higher contrast on the first version though. The flying geese stood out a lot better in that one, for instance.

Edit:

I sync'd my folders in Lightroom the other day and this popped up. I don't recall when I did the photoshop work, but I can't decide if the editing is too heavy handed and HDR looking (95% sure it's just multiple different exposure from one RAW file). Opinions?

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 7, 2010

CUBEANGLE
Nov 30, 2006

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Opinions?

It looks like a legitimate stylistic choice, could easily be put down to use of a circular polariser I'd say. You've got a few dust spots just above the peak and the attention-grabbing thing in the bottom-left corner are minor niggles you could fix in 2 secs.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I took these today. In the first one it look as if I am standing on a hill looking up towards the sky, until you take a close look at the pond to the left. Most people I showed it to think it's the sky but it's actually the ocean. In fact I was standing from above shooing down. It was a totally unintentional :psyduck:

This one shows the actual angle I was shooting from:

One more just for fun:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

scottch posted:

Jesus Christ. I may shoot Nikon SLR, but I am definitely getting an S90 next time I need a P&S.
The Nikon P&S are nothing like the SLRs. And by this I mean they're generally poo poo, and I'd get a panasonic or canon any day instead of a coolpix.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Had these developed recently, was kinda concerned with the slow film speed but they turned out pretty clear.

the hassler
Nov 1, 2004

kiss me i'm todd it

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Cheers, rockcity!

rockcity posted:

^^^
That picture is gorgeous. There's so much going on in a good way.

Thanks!

Pompous Rhombus posted:

That's a great shot, worth the set-up/wait.

;)

JaundiceDave posted:

:drat:

Agreed, IM. I'll go through my RAWs and see if there's any images of the little guys. I do have HD video footage of them swimming around, though.

Interrupting Moss posted:

The waterfall is a nice exposure, but it would be nice if it had something to do with the seals you mentioned.

The mountain sunrise, though, has all the pieces. Excellent.

Fantastic.

Leviathor,

Couldn't agree with you more, re: that annoying cloud. I didn't actually do the burning in Photoshop, I tried underexposing within Digital Photo Professional itself and blending it in. The next time I load the image, I'll blend in the reflected cloud image. That should do the trick.

Leviathor posted:

Echoing others, this is a really great image, but please, please, please do not burn blown highlights: it ruins the image. A little trick, especially for reflections, is to copy, invert, paste, and blend in some detail. Also, a bit of vignetting added in your favorite RAW editor and overlayed on a duplicate exposure can sometimes salvage detail without compromising highlights, but keep those whites white.

H

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Cheers, BOE. I am currently working on my own site (finally get my rear end into gear) to promote my little photography business. All these images will be available for purchase as prints on there. In the meantime, feel free to visit my deviantART page for astrophotography and landscapes.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Another utterly fantastic photo, Octane2. The cloud that's being illuminated reminds me of a famous painting that I cannot place at the moment and the 2s exposure time adds to effect by making the water look like a painting as well.

Do you have a portfolio or Flickr? The work you've posted here is quite amazing.

Thanks! In general I try and do as little as possible processing; I let the camera and grads do the work. The post processing on this image involved correcting the white balance, adding a smidgin (it was either 8% or 10%) of saturation (through a vibrance layer that was luminance masked), high-pass filter for subtle sharpening, and blending in the reddish clouds in the darker regions via a layer which was 2/3rds of a stop over-exposed -- A RAW blend from the one file.

An observer posted:

Son of a bitch, my jaw literally dropped when I scrolled past this. How much postwork do you usually do on your stuff?

Cheeky! But, seriously, I do have to thank you for introducing me to this beautiful location. I had read Brent's review of it a while back but never went. It's very peaceful out there, especially considering that Sydney proper is literally behind you.

fenner posted:

I know octane2 in real life and I let him know about this location, hes a worthless photographer who just steals other peoples locations! :angel:

H

octane2 fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 11, 2010

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Here's some more from New Zealand, autumn, 2010.

Click the images to view them on a black background for shadow detail and contrast.

Come, Quench My Thirst
On a cold and frosty morning, first light bathes the scene as a lonesome wave comes crashing onto the shoreline of Lake Wanaka.

My thirst is endeavouring to capture that special light. Whether it's starlight in the form of tiny pinpoint stars (astrophotography), or the starlight of our precious Sun at sunrise and sunset.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
1/10s f/16.0 at 40.0mm iso800

Alta Martianscape
A relatively tiring climb up The Remarkables leads one to Lake Alta; a 500m by 250m body of water nestled between the peaks of The Remarkables. Unfortunately, the scene was rather barren due to low-lying mist which covered the peaks surrounding the lake and therefore made it rather unphotogenic.

A short climb away, however, was a rather more inviting scene.

Here, I've captured the last glimpses of sunlight as our star settles in for the evening whilst loose moraine and beautiful tussock covers the exposed rockface.

Fingers numb, upper lip frozen, intense shivering, the surrounding red and grey -- it made me think of what sunset would be like on Mars.

3.2s f/16.0 at 17.0mm iso200

Orange Marmalade Skies
Lake Wanaka and environs just prior to Sol making its way into the sky.

2.5s f/16.0 at 40.0mm iso100

I hope I've made these rocks sexy.

H

octane2 fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 11, 2010

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Hi dorks.

So many awesome photos here lately.

Valles Caldera.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Hi dorks.

Valles Caldera.

Were those all digital? Something about the color ones reminds me of film, but I'm wondering if it's either the fact that I'm assuming you used a polarizer or perhaps some of the post processing you did. Either way, all of them are awesome. I really love the skies as well as the details that are visible in the vegetation.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
Mindblowing landscapes as always octane2.

Interrupting Moss those B&Ws are awesome, they're so well done and have a strong impact.

This shot is the aftermath of getting drenched by the wave, kit lens and d200 have now taken 3 full waves and live strong - love you Nikon :worship:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

octane2 posted:

Being way too conservative here. Make that poo poo pop. Goes from a has ran to a "Print it 40x60" if you do.

The VC shots were all digital. I even had a film camera with me, just never used it. That's the final nail there, as far as I'm concerned, more so after I got exactly what I wanted out of those, especially the fourth one. Glad you like them.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

octane2 posted:

Here's some more from New Zealand, autumn, 2010.

Click the images to view them on a black background for shadow detail and contrast.

Come, Quench My Thirst
On a cold and frosty morning, first light bathes the scene as a lonesome wave comes crashing onto the shoreline of Lake Wanaka.

My thirst is endeavouring to capture that special light. Whether it's starlight in the form of tiny pinpoint stars (astrophotography), or the starlight of our precious Sun at sunrise and sunset.

1/10s f/16.0 at 40.0mm iso800

Alta Martianscape
A relatively tiring climb up The Remarkables leads one to Lake Alta; a 500m by 250m body of water nestled between the peaks of The Remarkables. Unfortunately, the scene was rather barren due to low-lying mist which covered the peaks surrounding the lake and therefore made it rather unphotogenic.

A short climb away, however, was a rather more inviting scene.

Here, I've captured the last glimpses of sunlight as our star settles in for the evening whilst loose moraine and beautiful tussock covers the exposed rockface.

Fingers numb, upper lip frozen, intense shivering, the surrounding red and grey -- it made me think of what sunset would be like on Mars.

3.2s f/16.0 at 17.0mm iso200

Orange Marmalade Skies
Lake Wanaka and environs just prior to Sol making its way into the sky.

H

Sexy.

Hi dorks.

Valles Caldera.

Awesome. SO how was the trip? I better get in the September lottery or I am going to just jump the drat fence in some camo gear.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Here's a few mountain shots from a hike I took the other day. I attempted to eliminate some of the haze from the mountains in post, but there's not a ton you can about it. Depressingly enough my circular polarizing filter was waiting for me in the mail when I got home. Not sure if they do much to help haze though.

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
BOE,

They are all wonderful, but, for me, the first one's a cracker. Well done.

Not too enthusiastic on the composition in the second one; the trees jutting out from the bottom somewhat hurt the flow.

Last one's great.

H

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Here's a few mountain shots from a hike I took the other day. I attempted to eliminate some of the haze from the mountains in post, but there's not a ton you can about it. Depressingly enough my circular polarizing filter was waiting for me in the mail when I got home. Not sure if they do much to help haze though.

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
IM,

Love this set, very nice.

Images 3, 4 and 5 in particular are standouts. Excellent use of contrast to draw the eye around the scene.

Would love to see location 2 at sunrise/sunset with a slightly different composition; perhaps the entire foreground be filled with water.

Excellent set!

H

Hi dorks.

Valles Caldera.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

8th-samurai posted:

Just swell.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Couple of panoramas that I have mixed feelings about.

Already posted a similar image in the "aw gently caress" thread. Lighting was about as terrible as it can get for this, but I hope to come back for sunset/sunrise (maybe bring a tent and do both) at some point.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Does anyone have any examples of people shooting landscapes using telephotos (200 and above?). I know someone has done some really amazing stuff which makes the perspective a little different.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Already posted a similar image in the "aw gently caress" thread. Lighting was about as terrible as it can get for this, but I hope to come back for sunset/sunrise (maybe bring a tent and do both) at some point.

I like the first more but the colours on the second. So if the green was a bit more intense like the second then the first would be awesome.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

octane2 posted:

Orange Marmalade SkiesCanon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM

You succeeded in making them look sexy! You should consider an alternate lens to the 17-40, though. I hear others perform much better on full frame, though you are doing a fine job with it. This guy seems to do well with his 16-35L.

I really love this.

Your black & white conversions are terrific!

octane2 posted:

I think you and fenner should try doing long exposures at night, just to change things up a little bit. This guy does a lot of them. (I think he does too many, really.) But it might be a fun thing to try.

Edit:

Fists Up posted:

Does anyone have any examples of people shooting landscapes using telephotos (200 and above?). I know someone has done some really amazing stuff which makes the perspective a little different.

Leviathor's panorama of Las Vegas is pretty awesome. He shot that with a 400mm. He would probably have better examples though, it is the first one that comes to mind.

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 17, 2010

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

Mannequin posted:

I think you and fenner should try doing long exposures at night, just to change things up a little bit. This guy does a lot of them. (I think he does too many, really.) But it might be a fun thing to try.

I'm a big fan of that guy, I've shot some long exposures at night before but its definitely something I need to try more of. One of the problems is for my gear atleast is that I can only do it for like 5 days a month (around full moon) otherwise the exposures get too long and I don't really like going over ISO 400.

Buy yeah, I'll definitely try some more. When i've tried I haven't been too pleased with the results so its definitely something that has a learning curve.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Too centered a composition. The leading lines of the tree line lead the eye not to the mountains, but to the base of the mountains. Try composing without the mountain dead center.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I assume that's afternoon light, so camp out and shoot just before the sun rises. Probably move to the right 50 feet or so, though that's hard to tell. Change the composition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."