Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Congrats on the job.

My last employer had a standing contract with a tele-medicine firm. Nurse / doctor over email or phone, I guess they could prescribe medication if we had it onboard. Pretty convenient, I guess - A lot simpler than getting someone over the radio anyway.

Luckily I've never had to deal with them personally - Short trips, and my go-to response as a "medical officer" is "Go to the hospital, thank you!" (Lake boats have zero medical equipment or supplies outside of a large first aid kit, O2 kit and an AED, so it's not like I can do much anyway). Never had to medevac someone off the boat, either. I'm lucky like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Fish Shalami posted:

Most commercial ships just have a designated medical officer who knows basic lifesaving measures if you are lucky, usually the second or third mate. SOP is to get an actual doctor on the phone and ask for guidance in treating anything. I was on one ship where we had a Diabetic reefer-man who had to get helli-evaced (sp?) off the ship off the coast of Japan after he lost feeling in his feet.

Just picked up a 30-60 day job on an ATC tanker as the 2nd Engineer. First trip as second, should be interesting...

Yeah ATC has been having personnel problems with the new contract. Most of the 1sts quit and went rigs. They have trouble getting 2nds as well, one of my buddies is moving up to 1st, the other quit to ship off the board. Its basically OSG with more paperwork and doesnt go north of Valdez. Also you are expected to fill up your time on your own for the most part and wont have nearly the amount of stuff to do that the 3rd does.

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?
I'm just hoping this shore side job I'm eyeing pans out then this will be my last trip.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
What did you find? I told my old boss I was ready to go shoreside and to hit me up the next time he had an opening. I would really rather move to the mts though.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Hooray training ship, I am loving this. Also wow Canada rules the lakes huh.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

shovelbum posted:

Hooray training ship, I am loving this. Also wow Canada rules the lakes huh.

It's pretty 50-50 above the canal, I'd say. (And it's like 99.9% Canada after that) Your boats are bigger, anyway.

Herman Brood
Jan 30, 2006

God I love this industry!

Quit my previous job two weeks ago due to some petty office bullshit, yesterday got my first interview and got hired on the spot! It's a heavy lift company (should be exciting after having worked in general cargo for 2,5 years) and I'm hired as 3rd mate, but with the opportunity to get promoted to 2nd within a year. If all goes well I'll embark the 10th of June to bring a two-master to New York.

Yay!

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

I can't believe I spent $5 on this title.
Crossing the Bay of Biscay on the way from Alesund, Norway to Cape Town. We'll be taking a look at the Madeira Archipelago and the Canaries on the way through. Beats working in a cubicle.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Herman Brood posted:

God I love this industry!

Quit my previous job two weeks ago due to some petty office bullshit, yesterday got my first interview and got hired on the spot! It's a heavy lift company (should be exciting after having worked in general cargo for 2,5 years) and I'm hired as 3rd mate, but with the opportunity to get promoted to 2nd within a year. If all goes well I'll embark the 10th of June to bring a two-master to New York.

Yay!

What is this in-ter-view of which you speak?

Last time I looked for work, I sent two emails and I had a job inside of 45 minutes - The other company offered me something two weeks later, but by then I was shipped out. Right now I've been off since late February, can't convince myself to go back yet... Not that I need the money; I've got enough for a comfortable 4-5 months, if I don't dip into the emergency fund.

Herman Brood
Jan 30, 2006

Haha OK you win.

Still, I didn't do much more than send some e-mails, take the train over to my appointment and drink their coffee while they copied my bank account number.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86

StopShootingMe posted:

Crossing the Bay of Biscay on the way from Alesund, Norway to Cape Town. We'll be taking a look at the Madeira Archipelago and the Canaries on the way through. Beats working in a cubicle.

Can you go from Ålesund to Cape Town with out refueling?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Herman Brood posted:

Haha OK you win.

Still, I didn't do much more than send some e-mails, take the train over to my appointment and drink their coffee while they copied my bank account number.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'd worked for both outfits before, so it wasn't so much a matter of sending a resume as "Uh, let me type this guy's name in the database.... Uh uh... And he's got a chief mate's ticket now? Uh..."

Sirhc77
Jun 17, 2011
Hey everyone thought I'd join the group.

I just recently graduated from CMA with my 3 A/E and I'm looking into joining AMO, how is the job prospects with the unions currently? I've heard that all of the unions hurting and don't pay all that great. Also whats the wait time for getting a job out of the hall?

magpie
Apr 28, 2006

StopShootingMe posted:

Hey I might pass you on our way up! We're going West Africa to West Europe. We passed the Canaries and Cabo Verde on the way down and will do something similar on the way back. The heat got stupid off Liberia and Ivory Coast with virtually no wind; I wish I had a fridge in my cabin.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Sirhc77 posted:

Hey everyone thought I'd join the group.

I just recently graduated from CMA with my 3 A/E and I'm looking into joining AMO, how is the job prospects with the unions currently? I've heard that all of the unions hurting and don't pay all that great. Also whats the wait time for getting a job out of the hall?

Why AMO? They do have some higher paying ships than MEBA but they also have much lower paying ones. They also lost their pension and have taken some big wage cuts. Not that MEBA is doing better what with the 11.7% going to fund the pension.

I don't know how long it takes to get work with AMO but now is prime shipping season so there should be plenty with either union. Im going to start taking some night work next week and then look to ship for the summer. I want to get in 6 months this year but I can't handle doing it all at once again so I'm not sure what Im going to do.

Edit: As a new graduate you need to know what you are worth in the labour market so you can compare. For about 6 months sailing of 12 hour days you should be getting $90k or so. This is around a 2000 hour work year which is the norm, 50 weeks at 40 hours a week. You should get roughly the same rate shoreside either working a 40 hour week or 12 hour shifts. You are looking for something close to that if you are getting much less it should be because of your personal goals.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 31, 2012

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

magpie posted:

The heat got stupid off Liberia and Ivory Coast with virtually no wind; I wish I had a fridge in my cabin.

Best thing ever. You just leave the door open and it will cool your room right down.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

lightpole posted:

Best thing ever. You just leave the door open and it will cool your room right down.

Only do this if you're deck or galley; then when the compressor breaks you can whine to the engineers until they fix it and claim ignorance.

If you're engine, you're gonna have to fix it yourself.

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

I can't believe I spent $5 on this title.

Trench_Rat posted:

Can you go from Ålesund to Cape Town with out refueling?

Yep, and we'll take bunkers there to do a run from Cape Town to Sydney, another six and a half thousand miles or so. Just passing through the Madeira islands as I write this. The main island is in the distance and we won't pass it during daylight, but drat it looks big. Just a big mountain rising out of the sea.

magpie posted:

Hey I might pass you on our way up! We're going West Africa to West Europe. We passed the Canaries and Cabo Verde on the way down and will do something similar on the way back. The heat got stupid off Liberia and Ivory Coast with virtually no wind; I wish I had a fridge in my cabin.

What's your ship called, I'll look out for it on the AIS. And are you a mate? What watch are you on? I'll be on the 12-4. I have a fridge in my cabin. This Norwegian built ship is bullshit. There's an integrated entertainment system (so movies and TV on demand in all cabins), many lounges around the ship, accommodation for 100 but only 19 of us aboard.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86

StopShootingMe posted:

Yep, and we'll take bunkers there to do a run from Cape Town to Sydney, another six and a half thousand miles or so. Just passing through the Madeira islands as I write this. The main island is in the distance and we won't pass it during daylight, but drat it looks big. Just a big mountain rising out of the sea.

What's your ship called, I'll look out for it on the AIS. And are you a mate? What watch are you on? I'll be on the 12-4. I have a fridge in my cabin. This Norwegian built ship is bullshit. There's an integrated entertainment system (so movies and TV on demand in all cabins), many lounges around the ship, accommodation for 100 but only 19 of us aboard.

do you mind taking some pictures of your cabin and the accomondation?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

FrozenVent posted:

Only do this if you're deck or galley; then when the compressor breaks you can whine to the engineers until they fix it and claim ignorance.

If you're engine, you're gonna have to fix it yourself.

I hope you are kidding. A fridge with an open door = heater.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

sharkytm posted:

I hope you are kidding. A fridge with an open door = heater.

Just stick a fan near the machinery, it'll dissipate the heat! :science:

Edit: I was gonna leave it like that and presume everybody would get that I'm joking, but then I remember some of the guys I've worked with and their understanding of physics and... Yeah.

I'm joking, guys.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Just stick a fan near the machinery, it'll dissipate the heat! :science:

Edit: I was gonna leave it like that and presume everybody would get that I'm joking, but then I remember some of the guys I've worked with and their understanding of physics and... Yeah.

I'm joking, guys.

Most effective way to clean all the ice balls off the coils is an ice pick.

Sirhc77
Jun 17, 2011

lightpole posted:

Why AMO? They do have some higher paying ships than MEBA but they also have much lower paying ones. They also lost their pension and have taken some big wage cuts. Not that MEBA is doing better what with the 11.7% going to fund the pension.

I don't know how long it takes to get work with AMO but now is prime shipping season so there should be plenty with either union. Im going to start taking some night work next week and then look to ship for the summer. I want to get in 6 months this year but I can't handle doing it all at once again so I'm not sure what Im going to do.

Edit: As a new graduate you need to know what you are worth in the labour market so you can compare. For about 6 months sailing of 12 hour days you should be getting $90k or so. This is around a 2000 hour work year which is the norm, 50 weeks at 40 hours a week. You should get roughly the same rate shoreside either working a 40 hour week or 12 hour shifts. You are looking for something close to that if you are getting much less it should be because of your personal goals.

The reason for AMO is that I was planning on going Active duty but due to the draw down I wasn't selected and I stupidly didn't make back up plans. So I decided to leave the Bay and move south and the idea of calling into the hall is nice and Ill try to get jobs on fishing charter boats while my card ages.

Thanks for the info it helps.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

lightpole posted:

Most effective way to clean all the ice balls off the coils is an ice pick.

Fill out a grease gun with dishwashing liquid so you can clean out the bearing before you do the actual greasing!

New record for "ME WANT WORK" email to the "Let's schedule you for a medical" phone call: 33 minutes. From guys I haven't worked for in two year, and I blew them off the last time they called because despite me giving them 45 minutes of headstart, someone else called and hired me first. (It's only a short contract tho, but I love working for those guys)

I'm updating my resume anyway, I'll email your guy tonight Two Fingers. If anybody else has suggestions for places to send resumes (Canadian deck officer here), I'm all ears.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 13, 2013

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Fill out a grease gun with dishwashing liquid so you can clean out the bearing before you do the actual greasing!

Holy poo poo they taught us all wrong.

Pissed in a cup Monday. Gonna start looking soon as I get the results.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

lightpole posted:

Holy poo poo they taught us all wrong.

Believe it or not, that's based on a true story. I don't know if it's just a rumour or if someone really did convince a cadet to do that, all I know is the dude got fired.

lightpole posted:

Pissed in a cup Monday. Gonna start looking soon as I get the results.

Good luck with your grades! Did you study?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Spent the last two weeks practicing. Standing in front of the head, drop trou, take it out, holding the cup, filling to line. Started out nervous and had some aiming problems during the test and there was a bit of backsplash but I powered through it

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Fly to China early next week, soon as I get my visa. Catch ship in shipyard, return to west coast for 4 days at sea, 3 days in port. I sure hope all that steam knowledge comes back by Monday.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

China? poo poo dude, when you pass a pee test, you ace it. Have a good time, good luck with the hot water.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I hope we are headed east before I get there. Asia on a steamship. Ugh.

Company contact called my mom and told her I was going to China before I did.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 15, 2012

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005
I'm on a BP Virtue class tanker at the moment, pretty nice but is tender and rolls a lot.

It's super clean, the only vessel I have been on where you wipe the soles of your boots (often) as to not leave oily prints in the engine room.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Business class to Shenzhen, 4-5 days pay for carrying my bags around, business class home.

Oh, business class back to Shenzhen in two weeks.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Let me guess, you got the traditional shipyard greeting?

"Boat's not ready yet, sir."

At least you get business class; a bunch of guys I knew had to fly coach to China.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Let me guess, you got the traditional shipyard greeting?

"Boat's not ready yet, sir."

At least you get business class; a bunch of guys I knew had to fly coach to China.

We were about to get on the ferry and carry our poo poo across the island to the ship when the other 3rd called the Capt. and talked to him. It had been decided that morning the ship wasnt going to make schedule. Better than the stewards department, they are flying economy and werent even off the plane when this was decided and will have less than 12 hours on the ground. Still not looking forward to the flight home. They wont fly us out of Hong Kong even though its so much easier, we will fly to Shanghai and then home which is a waste of 5ish hours.

Update: Noone told the person who arranges travel until we emailed her that we were flying home. Still waiting on a flight getting $220/day plus per diem for food sitting in a hotel room eating lychees. gently caress Im bored.

Update 2:Got a flight home. Started with a flight to Shanghai and then Hong Kong before heading home but the agent told them gently caress that he would just drive us to Hong Kong cause seriously. Cathay business lounge is p tits. So far the person in charge of the yard has been horrible. Everyone else is cool.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 20, 2012

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Well, I finally graduated.

Maersk Supply Service, here I come!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Per posted:

Well, I finally graduated.

Maersk Supply Service, here I come!

Congrats! When are you shipping out?

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Thanks! They haven't said yet, I guess they wanted to make sure I passed all the exams first, but I get paid from July 6th.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
looks like I’m flying you out on Wednesday, the 27th.  I haven’t finalized your flight yet because I want to fly you to Hong Kong instead of Shanghai.  As soon as I get the final decision on that, I’ll send your flight details.

Edit: Holy poo poo I can't take this.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Wow, I don't know what your visa situation is, but I would have just stayed in China. gently caress flying that three times in ten days.

Edit: Mind you, the shuffle and cancel and poo poo is an integral part of the marine industry. I've been assigned to a ship that didn't need me, I've been mistaken with a guy with a simillar last name, I've been ordered to fly halfway accross the country to catch a ship that had just left my home town, I've waited ten hours on docks, I've been told I had to fly home because my medical no wait I'll try to clal the office...

Then you add international travel? gently caress that.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
No choice in the matter or we all would have stayed even if it was two weeks. Everyone from the Capt. on down wanted us to stay except for the shipyard manager or whatever they call him. I got like $1200 for carrying my bags around and drank another $200 of champagne in the business lounge but this is stupid.

Add in this stupid loving fly to Shanghai then Shenzhen instead of just going to Hong Kong adding another 10 hours of unnecessary travel time and Im not happy.

• Locked thread