Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

hazzlebarth posted:

Do you have a second computer connected to the same network? If yes, connect via ssh, reproduce the error and examine the usual suspects, like /var/log/syslog, dmesg and /var/log/udev.

I'd start by starting "sudo udevadm monitor -e" on the ssh console, then pressing the backlight button. That basically dumps all udev events that are happening.

No dice. I remotely logged in and nothing unusual was in either. What is weird is my keyboard while not responsive was working because I could use FN-F2 to disable the wireless (and I got all the corresponding messages in Syslog for DHCP events, etc.) Apparently I'm not the only person to have this issue on this type of laptop. I guess I'll just be REAL CAREFUL. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
Hey I installed Ubuntu 12.04 back when it came out and it turned my two 80GB drives into a Raid 1 and called them /dev/mapper_asdfasdf or some gibberish. Anyway I want to wipe that thing out and install the newer version, but the Ubuntu installer fails saying I have too many primary partitions on the drive. I booted gParted and tried to delete the partitions using that, but it gave different errors about running a command that i can't remember the name of but was apparently related to lvm. I got it to delete the swap partitions but nothing else would work. Did I totally mess up my drives or could there be a physical problem with my hard drives? The drives are pretty old and I have not booted to them in about a year.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
If you want to delete everything, boot from a live CD that will open a terminal. Become root with sudo -i then run something like fdisk -l | grep 'Disk /dev' to get a list of the disks in your machine.

code:
# fdisk -l | grep 'Disk /dev'
Disk /dev/sda: 256.1 GB, 256060514304 bytes
Disk /dev/sdb: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
Disk /dev/sdc: 2000.4 GB, 2000398934016 bytes
Note that USB drives will show up here too, if you're booting from a flash drive instead of a CD.

You can then wipe the important parts of each drive (bootloader, partition table, etc.) with dd. 64MB is more than enough to have the drive appear blank:

code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1024k count=64
Do that for each disk you want to wipe. You may want to reboot before retrying the Ubuntu installer.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Lysidas posted:

You can then wipe the important parts of each drive (bootloader, partition table, etc.) with dd. 64MB is more than enough to have the drive appear blank:

code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1024k count=64
Do that for each disk you want to wipe. You may want to reboot before retrying the Ubuntu installer.

Instead of doing that, please consider using wipefs.

http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/wipefs.8.html

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

I've been an on again off again Ubuntu user (sometimes Windows 7 is just what I need but then I miss features in Ubuntu and vice versa). I want to try and make an Ubuntu install longer than a few months before I need my Windows fix again. There's one thing that stands in the way though with either operating system; internet connection sharing.

I know it's easy enough to enable and use on either system. I prefer using that layout because 1) it helps cut out some wire clutter when I have my consoles hooked into a laptop instead of a long ethernet cord and 2) free up some network traffic when I stream movies directly to consoles instead of throughout the entire network. To ensure my PS3 keeps an open NAT, I keep it in the DMZ with all ports open. On either operating system, I still get Nat Type 2 when using internet connection sharing but get moderate NAT statuses in game.

I wouldn't mind keeping either a Windows or Ubuntu OS in the DMZ, but it always seems like something happens in the middle of the process that won't actually allow all the ports to be open for this connection. Is there a way to ensure all ports are open when using ICS in say, Network Manager? Or do I have to do crazy iptables poo poo to accomplish this?

EDIT: I had a bit of luck on this yesterday. I happen to have Windows 7 on my laptop at the moment. Went into the ICS settings and assigned the UPnP UPD port to the host (my laptop) and my games have been opening up ports a bit better.

Green Puddin fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 30, 2013

Hendrik
Feb 5, 2009
What is the advantage of using Ubuntu over Debian apart from the extended support Ubuntu LTS offers?

hazzlebarth
May 13, 2013

Hendrik posted:

What is the advantage of using Ubuntu over Debian apart from the extended support Ubuntu LTS offers?

Usually you have more recent versions of the various desktop environments, some hardware has better support and it is overall more suited for Linux-Newbies due to the more polished user interface and hardware integration.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I'm running Linux mint 14 at the moment but it doesn't seem to have the single sign on capability that Ubuntu has. Is there a way to use cinnamon with Ubuntu? I tried installing the gnome 3 desktop and mint did not play nicely. The SSO would disappear constantly and gnome was screwed up..

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

I think I'm just going to give up on that last endeavor and ask a hopefully easier question. I'm trying to add the Medibuntu repository, as per their instructions to do this in the terminal:

quote:

sudo -E wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list && sudo apt-get --quiet update && sudo apt-get --yes --quiet --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get --quiet update

What has happened to me though, starting last night (six hours ago) and just now (five minutes ago) is the following:

quote:

[sudo] password for greenpuddin:
--2013-09-20 07:33:23-- http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/precise.list
Resolving https://www.medibuntu.org (https://www.medibuntu.org)... 88.191.127.22
Connecting to https://www.medibuntu.org (https://www.medibuntu.org)|88.191.127.22|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2013-09-20 07:33:25 ERROR 404: Not Found.

Now I just assume that with a 404 the page can't be found. I've tried doing a ping to their site and using their IP, I've tried using their French and German mirrors, all still getting 404's. Did I miss something or is Medibuntu not the big player in codecs anymore? Maybe their site is down or do I need to get them somewhere else?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I have no experience with Medibuntu, but from the main website:

quote:

The Medibuntu repository is unmaintained. We recommend that you do not use it.

The entire sources.list.d directory is a 404, too, so... I don't know, maybe it's all gone now.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Oh, I didn't notice that. Seemed to work the last time I used Ubuntu. Welp.

e: Looks like I fixed it anyway. Added this to my repository list;

quote:

deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ precise free non-free

Then after an update I was told it couldn't verify a signature or something to that extent. So I just did the rest of the repository code from the Medibuntu site:

quote:

sudo apt-get --quiet update && sudo apt-get --yes --quiet --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get --quiet update

And can run my DVDs again. Yay!

e2: So according to that announcement page, they stopped service on September 11th this year which was kinda news to me, I had just assumed everything was going. Also, apparently VideoLAN are keeping up on libdvdcss2 now and you can find that info here. If this topic is a no-no on here I'll edit this post but I think it shouldn't be a problem, just thought I should inform anyone else who might need codecs that aren't on the Ubuntu repositories.

Green Puddin fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 20, 2013

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/19/4748908/ubuntus-smartphone-os-will-be-ready-to-launch-on-october-17th

Appears that the Ubuntu Touch for smartphones will be out in about a month. From what I've heard of dev images the entire thing is sluggish as all hell and not exactly ready for prime time. That's not even accounting for the lack of the massive app store that Android and Iphones boast. Certainly an uphill battle for Canonical but certainly one worth getting into, I expect a massive shift from the Desktop to Tablets in the near future for the casual user.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

YouTuber posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/19/4748908/ubuntus-smartphone-os-will-be-ready-to-launch-on-october-17th

Appears that the Ubuntu Touch for smartphones will be out in about a month. From what I've heard of dev images the entire thing is sluggish as all hell and not exactly ready for prime time. That's not even accounting for the lack of the massive app store that Android and Iphones boast. Certainly an uphill battle for Canonical but certainly one worth getting into, I expect a massive shift from the Desktop to Tablets in the near future for the casual user.

Talking about a non-release being sluggish is basically useless, wait until they're finished with the optimization. Or go check out the youtube videos where the gui is just as responsive on a GNex as Android is. Same goes for the developer ecosystem; wait until they actually release the SDK into production.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask, but I don't see a 13.04 thread. Anyway I have an Intel 82541PI ethernet controller and I get bizarrely low speeds (20/10) from my Comcast internet that is normally roughly 60/10. This is complete with very spiky/jumpy rates (varying from 4 to 20 approximately) and pings of 50ms minimum when they should be under 15ms. Is there a different driver I can load up for that Intel controller or a setting I can change to fix this? It's currently using the e1000 driver. The problem is not present with the other ethernet controller in my system, a Realtek item (RTL8111/8168, using r8169 driver).

emdash fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 9, 2013

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Another release another issue.
Update Manager says 13.10 is available. I click upgrade... read the notes, it fetches 2 files, and then disappears. Nothing happens after that.
Maybe if I were on a phone things would work :allears:

code:
themerkinman@pos:~$ update-manager -d
Checking for a new Ubuntu release
authenticate 'saucy.tar.gz' against 'saucy.tar.gz.gpg' 
extracting 'saucy.tar.gz'
Real-time signal 0
themerkinman@pos:~$
EDIT: did do-release-upgrade and that worked. Never actually restarted, had to hit the button on my computer. So far so good.
EDIT2: WINE is broken Shadowhawk :argh:

The Merkinman fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 19, 2013

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

The Merkinman posted:

Another release another issue.
Update Manager says 13.10 is available. I click upgrade... read the notes, it fetches 2 files, and then disappears. Nothing happens after that.
Maybe if I were on a phone things would work :allears:

code:
themerkinman@pos:~$ update-manager -d
Checking for a new Ubuntu release
authenticate 'saucy.tar.gz' against 'saucy.tar.gz.gpg' 
extracting 'saucy.tar.gz'
Real-time signal 0
themerkinman@pos:~$
EDIT: did do-release-upgrade and that worked. Never actually restarted, had to hit the button on my computer. So far so good.
EDIT2: WINE is broken Shadowhawk :argh:

I know you're being facetious, but if you were on a phone and using image-based updates, it would just work.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

I am not a book posted:

I know you're being facetious, but if you were on a phone and using image-based updates, it would just work.
I was referring to how 13.10 has nothing new in it (aside from a feature that was supposed to launch in 13.04), because Canonical was too busy with their phone OS.
Anyway, this is the error. Sometimes i get it two in a row, program seems to sometimes launch fine after though.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

The Merkinman posted:

I was referring to how 13.10 has nothing new in it (aside from a feature that was supposed to launch in 13.04), because Canonical was too busy with their phone OS.
Anyway, this is the error. Sometimes i get it two in a row, program seems to sometimes launch fine after though.

You're not the first to report this. Can you answer some questions for me? I'm trying to track down crashes in the wine packages for 13.10. Are you on 64-bit? wine1.6 or wine1.7?

Did you upgrade from 13.04 or fresh install? Did you re-add the Ubuntu-wine ppa?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

You're not the first to report this. Can you answer some questions for me? I'm trying to track down crashes in the wine packages for 13.10. Are you on 64-bit? wine1.6 or wine1.7?

Did you upgrade from 13.04 or fresh install? Did you re-add the Ubuntu-wine ppa?
64-bit
upgrade from 13.04, had to use terminal command do-release-upgrade for some reason though
Re-added http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-wine/ppa/ubuntu it even had updates right away.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

The Merkinman posted:

64-bit
upgrade from 13.04, had to use terminal command do-release-upgrade for some reason though
Re-added http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-wine/ppa/ubuntu it even had updates right away.

dpkg -s wine1.6 please

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

dpkg -s wine1.6 please

code:
Package: wine1.6
Priority: optional
Section: otherosfs
Installed-Size: 3031
Maintainer: Scott Ritchie <scottritchie@ubuntu.com>
Architecture: amd64
Multi-Arch: allowed
Version: 1:1.6-0ubuntu1~ppa4
Replaces: wine, wine1.0, wine1.2, wine1.3, wine1.4, wine1.5
Provides: wine
Depends: debconf (>= 0.5) | debconf-2.0, libc6 (>= 2.17), libgettextpo0, wine1.6-amd64 (= 1:1.6-0ubuntu1~ppa4), binfmt-support (>= 1.1.2), procps, wine1.6-i386 (= 1:1.6-0ubuntu1~ppa4)
Pre-Depends: dpkg (>= 1.15.7.2~)
Recommends: cups-bsd, gnome-exe-thumbnailer | kde-runtime, fonts-droid, fonts-liberation, ttf-mscorefonts-installer, fonts-horai-umefont, fonts-unfonts-core, ttf-wqy-microhei, winbind, winetricks, xdg-utils
Suggests: dosbox:any
Conflicts: wine1.0, wine1.2, wine1.3, wine1.4
Conffiles:
 /etc/xdg/menus/applications-merged/wine.menu d15dadc3527b2c6dca96023a5351aedc
Description: Microsoft Windows Compatibility Layer (Binary Emulator and Library)
 Wine is a compatibility layer for running Windows applications on Linux.
 Applications are run at full speed without the need of cpu emulation. Wine
 does not require Microsoft Windows, however it can use native system dll
 files in place of its own if they are available.
 This package includes a program loader for running unmodified Windows
 executables as well as the Wine project's free version of the Windows API for
 running programs ported from Windows.
Homepage: [url]http://www.winehq.org/[/url]

dpkg-query: package 'release' is not installed and no information is available
Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I gave Unity a good run - stuck with it for a good 3 or 4 months hoping it would click. Today I decided to try Gnome Shell, and it's crazy how much I prefer it. Switching windows / workspaces just works so well. I love it.

I have extra mouse buttons that I'd like to bind to "switch workspace up" and "switch workspace down", but I can't bind them in the keyboard shortcuts menu. How do I find out what these buttons are called, and which file do I need to edit to get them working as shortcuts?

Also, is there a way to get an app (terminator) to open fullscreen on a certain workspace at startup?

I have some other questions about hiding the status bar and so on, which I think would be solved with extensions, except https://extensions.gnome.org/ seems to be down. :(

Any other cool tips or methods for making my desktop usage more efficient?

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Is Ubuntu easy to install? Would I need any Linux knowledge to do so? I'm worried that it won't have any drivers for any of my HW or something.

Also, has anyone bought an Ubuntu DVD from OSdisc.com? Buying one is the only option I have now and that site sells them for 6 bucks.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
It's usually fairly straightforward. You can try it "live" before installing to check if it recognises all your hardware.

If you lived in the UK I would send you a DVD.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Geek U.S.A. posted:

Is Ubuntu easy to install? Would I need any Linux knowledge to do so? I'm worried that it won't have any drivers for any of my HW or something.

Also, has anyone bought an Ubuntu DVD from OSdisc.com? Buying one is the only option I have now and that site sells them for 6 bucks.
Is there some reason you can't use a flash drive?

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Thanks, fuf. Sounds great.

mystes posted:

Is there some reason you can't use a flash drive?

Not really. Just figured it would be cheaper to buy it in disc form.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
If you have a >= 1GB flash drive sitting around, you can download the ISO for free and boot it off the USB stick.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

fourwood posted:

If you have a >= 1GB flash drive sitting around, you can download the ISO for free and boot it off the USB stick.

Plus it's earth-friendly

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

The Merkinman posted:

code:
Package: wine1.6
Priority: optional
Section: otherosfs
Installed-Size: 3031
Maintainer: Scott Ritchie <scottritchie@ubuntu.com>
Architecture: amd64
Multi-Arch: allowed
Version: 1:1.6-0ubuntu1~ppa4
Replaces: wine, wine1.0, wine1.2, wine1.3, wine1.4, wine1.5
Provides: wine
Depends: debconf (>= 0.5) | debconf-2.0, libc6 (>= 2.17), libgettextpo0, wine1.6-amd64 (= 1:1.6-0ubuntu1~ppa4), binfmt-support (>= 1.1.2), procps, wine1.6-i386 (= 1:1.6-0ubuntu1~ppa4)
Pre-Depends: dpkg (>= 1.15.7.2~)
Recommends: cups-bsd, gnome-exe-thumbnailer | kde-runtime, fonts-droid, fonts-liberation, ttf-mscorefonts-installer, fonts-horai-umefont, fonts-unfonts-core, ttf-wqy-microhei, winbind, winetricks, xdg-utils
Suggests: dosbox:any
Conflicts: wine1.0, wine1.2, wine1.3, wine1.4
Conffiles:
 /etc/xdg/menus/applications-merged/wine.menu d15dadc3527b2c6dca96023a5351aedc
Description: Microsoft Windows Compatibility Layer (Binary Emulator and Library)
 Wine is a compatibility layer for running Windows applications on Linux.
 Applications are run at full speed without the need of cpu emulation. Wine
 does not require Microsoft Windows, however it can use native system dll
 files in place of its own if they are available.
 This package includes a program loader for running unmodified Windows
 executables as well as the Wine project's free version of the Windows API for
 running programs ported from Windows.
Homepage: [url]http://www.winehq.org/[/url]

dpkg-query: package 'release' is not installed and no information is available
Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.

I fixed this last night btw.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

I fixed this last night btw.
:tipshat:
Now to figure out about my volume indicator. It works (unlike Xubuntu) but the graphic is inaccurate. Showing lower volume, even muted when it's not.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Dual booting with Windows 8.1 seems to be a major PITA. Is this correct?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Shouldn't be. Linux distros generally install GRUB which prompts you every time you boot up if you want to boot Linux or Windows. When Windows is selected it should go through it's normal rigmarole.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Just make sure you install Windows first, because it'll overwrite GRUB if you do it second.

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...

G-Prime posted:

Just make sure you install Windows first, because it'll overwrite GRUB if you do it second.

Even if you overwrite GRUB, there's an easy way to fix it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
The only thing with Windows 8/8.1 is that you have to go into your BIOS settings and turn off "secure boot" or "UEFI boot". At least, that's what I had to do.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Anyone else having issues installing fedora 19 with EUFI?

Also I'll admit I'm a bit of a dumbass with GUI stuff in linux, any way to make thumbnails show up like in windows on Centos/Fedora?

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 30, 2013

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Anyone else having issues installing fedora 19 with EUFI?

Also I'll admit I'm a bit of a dumbass with GUI stuff in linux, any way to make thumbnails show up like in windows on Centos/Fedora?

Do you want http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2389159 ?

I am not sure how thunbnails look in Windows, but Nautilus (the gnome file browser) has an icon grid view and thumbnails should be on by default.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
This is probably a dumb question, but anyway I thought I'd upgrade to 13.10 for fun. Worked OK on my netbook, and currently is working on this one, but for the two others in the house it's saying "No new release found". They're apparently on 12.04 LTS, is there something special I should do to make it happen? Currently I'm just ssh'ing in and doing a 'sudo do-release-upgrade'.

Fake edit: now I found 'do-release-upgrade -d', but it's trying to do Trusty rather than Saucy.

Real edit: power of posting. For anyone else with the same problem, you need to edit /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades and take out "prompt=lts".

Tad Naff fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 30, 2013

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

FeloniousDrunk posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but anyway I thought I'd upgrade to 13.10 for fun. Worked OK on my netbook, and currently is working on this one, but for the two others in the house it's saying "No new release found". They're apparently on 12.04 LTS, is there something special I should do to make it happen? Currently I'm just ssh'ing in and doing a 'sudo do-release-upgrade'.

Fake edit: now I found 'do-release-upgrade -d', but it's trying to do Trusty rather than Saucy.

Real edit: power of posting. For anyone else with the same problem, you need to edit /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades and take out "prompt=lts".

Or you can just adjust it in the options menu for update manager (switch from LTS only to all releases)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
So why was gnome-screen saver crippled? I just installed 13.10 and remembered that I had to install a different screen saver app just to get a blank screen (as opposed to gnome's default of turning the monitor off which kills my speakers too) which really sucks. What was their reasoning for that? Im installing xscreensaver right now but what gives? That decision seems pretty loving retarded if you ask me.

• Locked thread