Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Samizdata posted:

And now is a time I actually regret not owning any kind of console.

I wouldn't, the game's on the Fox Engine and MGS5/Ground Zeroes were just announced as coming to the PC so odds are good this will too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Fawf posted:

I wouldn't, the game's on the Fox Engine and MGS5/Ground Zeroes were just announced as coming to the PC so odds are good this will too.

If that is true, I am all over this like evil on Silent Hill....

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Samizdata posted:

If that is true, I am all over this like evil on Silent Hill....

It's true.

Pompitous
Nov 4, 2009

Space Cowboy
Silent Hill S? I can't wait for this, and I'm already looking forward to Silent Hill Super S.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
With Kojima on a Silent Hill game, I can only hope the UFO ending involves Revolver Ocelot appearing to announce that all the events of the game were parts of a master plan.

Norman Reedus makes me uncomfortable though. I don't know why, I have nothing against the guy, I guess it's just because the only other game I've seen that "stars" real-life actors is Beyond Two Souls and that game was awful.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TwoPair posted:

With Kojima on a Silent Hill game, I can only hope the UFO ending involves Revolver Ocelot appearing to announce that all the events of the game were parts of a master plan.

Norman Reedus makes me uncomfortable though. I don't know why, I have nothing against the guy, I guess it's just because the only other game I've seen that "stars" real-life actors is Beyond Two Souls and that game was awful.

It smells a lot like they're trying to cash in on Daryl being such a fan favorite in a show with a massive fanbase. Outside of Boondock Saints, Norman Reedus had been mostly staying off everyone's radar until The Walking Dead made him an overnight fangirl magnet. I don't think they'd be so willing to grab him if he was still doing a lot of movies with no Wikipedia article.

bodz5150
Jun 29, 2005

I'm the only muthafukin Jedi to defeat the muthafukin Emperor! Not even Yoda pulled that shit off! I'm tired of that bitch Skywalker gettin all the muthafukin credit!

chitoryu12 posted:

Silent Hills's pitch sounds like something you're recounting after having a dream about a new game.

"Okay like, in my dream there was a new Silent Hill game. But Hideo Kojima and Guillermo Del Toro were making it and it starred Daryl from The Walking Dead."

Edit: Since this is a Kojima game, will we get gratuitous shots of Norman Reedus's bare rear end?

You do realize that Kojima games with bare asses are usually associated with disgusting bodily functions right? Take a moment to let that sink in and and re-evaluate your desire to see Norman Reedus taking a dump (possibly in his pants) in Silent Hill.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

It's true.

Rock on! Time to stop eating so I can afford a copy. (As PC based Silent Hill experiences have been sadly lacking, by and large in my opinion.)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bodz5150 posted:

You do realize that Kojima games with bare asses are usually associated with disgusting bodily functions right? Take a moment to let that sink in and and re-evaluate your desire to see Norman Reedus taking a dump (possibly in his pants) in Silent Hill.

Who said anything about MY desire? Kojima's the one with a thing about it.

bodz5150
Jun 29, 2005

I'm the only muthafukin Jedi to defeat the muthafukin Emperor! Not even Yoda pulled that shit off! I'm tired of that bitch Skywalker gettin all the muthafukin credit!

chitoryu12 posted:

Who said anything about MY desire? Kojima's the one with a thing about it.

You got me there. Well played. Let's all agree that Kojima has a weird obsession with scat humor.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

bodz5150 posted:

You got me there. Well played. Let's all agree that Kojima has a weird obsession with scat humor.

Everyone has a weird obsession with scat humor. Not too many cop to it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Not just scat humor, but man rear end in general. The first Metal Gear Solid has Johnny lying rear end-up when knocked out. MGS2 has a whole stealth section with naked Raiden. MGS3 has a Raiden expy in a thong. MGS4 has bare, poo poo-smeared Johnny rear end and puts Old Snake in a skintight suit that heats up in the microwave room until it's vaguely flesh colored, giving the audience a gratuitous look at muscular old man rear end. Phantom Pain has two man asses in hospital gowns.

Despite the oversexualization of women in many MGS games, they end up showing less skin than the guys and especially less than the protagonists. I wouldn't be surprised if Silent Hills has an extended section where Norman Reedus has to adventure through his apartment block after a shower and the third person camera keeps his donk in focus at all times because he won't put goddamn pants on.

bodz5150
Jun 29, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

Not just scat humor, but man rear end in general. The first Metal Gear Solid has Johnny lying rear end-up when knocked out. MGS2 has a whole stealth section with naked Raiden. MGS3 has a Raiden expy in a thong. MGS4 has bare, poo poo-smeared Johnny rear end and puts Old Snake in a skintight suit that heats up in the microwave room until it's vaguely flesh colored, giving the audience a gratuitous look at muscular old man rear end. Phantom Pain has two man asses in hospital gowns.

Despite the oversexualization of women in many MGS games, they end up showing less skin than the guys and especially less than the protagonists. I wouldn't be surprised if Silent Hills has an extended section where Norman Reedus has to adventure through his apartment block after a shower and the third person camera keeps his donk in focus at all times because he won't put goddamn pants on.

An argument could be said that Kojima is progressive and pushing a sexualized male agenda. Who can argue that MGS has the best asses male and female?

How did this thread derail into MSG:S rear end discussion from the brilliance of Oogie's Revenge? I blame myself. Asses are awesome.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bodz5150 posted:

An argument could be said that Kojima is progressive and pushing a sexualized male agenda. Who can argue that MGS has the best asses male and female?

How did this thread derail into MSG:S rear end discussion from the brilliance of Oogie's Revenge? I blame myself. Asses are awesome.

Discuss Jack Skellington's rear end.

*gets microscope*

bodz5150
Jun 29, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

Discuss Jack Skellington's rear end.

*gets microscope*

"Best rear end ever."
-Rolling Bone Magazine

:smith: I hate myself for this

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

bodz5150 posted:

Becase there honestly isn't really anything more to say about Oogie's Revenge at this point, all there is to do is get to the dumb ending.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

This can't be happening!

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Well, there is one thing to mention. Namely: why on earth did we need to stop the train? It's not like the developers bothered to model anything dangerous under him like an acid bath The worst thing that would happen if Sandy was cut down is he'd land in a soft snow drift or bounce on his belly like a bowl full of jelly.

Basically what I'm saying is this boss is somehow even less justified than the last one. :psyduck:

MGN001
May 12, 2012

Just think, if we had taken another minute finding those stupid baubles for the tree, Sandy Claws would have taken a fall! (OH NO!/THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING!)

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

dijon du jour posted:

Well, there is one thing to mention. Namely: why on earth did we need to stop the train? It's not like the developers bothered to model anything dangerous under him like an acid bath The worst thing that would happen if Sandy was cut down is he'd land in a soft snow drift or bounce on his belly like a bowl full of jelly.

Basically what I'm saying is this boss is somehow even less justified than the last one. :psyduck:

I feel like they originally meant to have Sandy be tied to the railroad tracks old timey western-style, but scrapped that idea. Maybe because Sandy would be easy to untie and rescue if he was simply on the ground? But they still wanted the drat train because they modeled it already so jeeze we gotta figure something out!!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The thing is, there's what looks like a rocket attached to the rope.

That the train will cut him free of.

As well as being a massive continuity error, in the movie Santa was like "Of course I can fix this. I'm the goddamn Batman Santa Claus."
This time though. NOPE. Lost the Sleigh, we're doomed!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Kojima horror? Wouldn't that require he try to make something else and approach it accidentally rather than set out to make Silent Hill? The man has his strengths and weaknesses, but I have no idea if he can make horror, much less whatever the barometer is for a good Silent Hill at this point.

At least it would be interesting to see a city that isn't ridiculously rusted down and just dirty and mostly abandoned.

EDIT: Oh right, Halloween talk is in effect. I can almost accept the train simply because I have this feeling that even the developers and people behind this either lost steam or ran out of ideas way before we actually went to Christmas Town. It's still unforgivably pointless, but I have this feeling deep inside me that says at that point it was unavoidable by then.

I wonder if making this game was as painful for Elfman as it was for us to watch.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 16, 2014

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

bodz5150 posted:

"Best rear end ever."
-Rolling Bone Magazine

:golfclap:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

bodz5150 posted:

"Best rear end ever."
-Rolling Bone Magazine

Filing this one away in the top drawer for later use. Thanks for the pun!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Crabtree posted:

Kojima horror? Wouldn't that require he try to make something else and approach it accidentally rather than set out to make Silent Hill? The man has his strengths and weaknesses, but I have no idea if he can make horror, much less whatever the barometer is for a good Silent Hill at this point.

I think the closest he's come to horror is Snatcher.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Which was pretty awesome, BTW. :japan:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Crabtree posted:

At least it would be interesting to see a city that isn't ridiculously rusted down and just dirty and mostly abandoned.

EDIT: Oh right, Halloween talk is in effect. I can almost accept the train simply because I have this feeling that even the developers and people behind this either lost steam or ran out of ideas way before we actually went to Christmas Town. It's still unforgivably pointless, but I have this feeling deep inside me that says at that point it was unavoidable by then.

I wonder if making this game was as painful for Elfman as it was for us to watch.

Run out of steam so they added a train. I see what you did there.

and, as I said to a friend, since this isn't Kojima's baby, he might just get some editorial oversight on it, so his usual excesses might just be curbed.
I doubt he'll make a game worse than ShatMems, so the only way to go is up!

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

The only part of this game Danny Elfman ever saw was the royalty check, so I think he had just about the best experience this game can offer.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I've only played one Silent Hill game, Shattered Memories, but Bob, VoidBurger, and Run Burton's videos got me interested in the series so I'll probably buy Silent Hills.

I'm expecting fatal whiplash.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Veloxyll posted:

Run out of steam so they added a train. I see what you did there.

and, as I said to a friend, since this isn't Kojima's baby, he might just get some editorial oversight on it, so his usual excesses might just be curbed.
I doubt he'll make a game worse than ShatMems, so the only way to go is up!

Only in Silent Hill is it possible to have a worse games than ShatMems (except for maybe the time someone gave me Space Bunnies Must Die!)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ThatPazuzu posted:

I've only played one Silent Hill game, Shattered Memories, but Bob, VoidBurger, and Run Burton's videos got me interested in the series so I'll probably buy Silent Hills.

I'm expecting fatal whiplash.

With an avatar like that, who would have thought ShatMemz was the one you played?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I kind of wonder if people would call it ShatMemz if it had been any good.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Crabtree posted:

Yo but you seen this poo poo yet? Because drat.

Crabtree posted:

I can almost accept the train simply because I have this feeling that even the developers and people behind this either lost steam
HEHHHHHHHHHHHH

ThatPazuzu posted:

I've only played one Silent Hill game, Shattered Memories, but Bob, VoidBurger, and Run Burton's
HEHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Crabtree posted:

I don't think Elfman was involved at all in the making of this game. Besides, yeah, some sort of royalty check maybe, but I could see that being all Disney money, too.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Tunicate posted:

Yeah and that wasn't scary, it was a cool game he pulled off back in his direct reference days like when he put Lethal Weapon in a blender with some other ideas and came up with Policenauts. But then again, it could have been creepy back in 94 and slowbeef's humor may have ruined the mood it could have taken if I played it back in the day on my own. It'd be sweet if he executive produced the game into Kojima's fond memories of 70s-80s horror flicks, but I doubt that he can pull off that younger style again nor would he miss the opportunity to crank up the FOX engine's effects to 11 instead of making the atmosphere more subtle and put it in a less defined filter to simulate the graininess of older movies.

VoidBurger posted:

Yo but you seen this poo poo yet? Because drat.

I don't think Elfman was involved at all in the making of this game. Besides, yeah, some sort of royalty check maybe, but I could see that being all Disney money, too.

Not bad, but with how much they may have spoiled, I'm already seeing symbolism when I should only see monsters at this point. poo poo, its weird thinking about Silent Hill being spiritually split into two games and you'll have a choice between The Evil Within and Silent Kojima later this year/the next. You planning on making some videos on that game eventually as well or is it feeling too Bethesda's RE4 for you?

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 17, 2014

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Crabtree posted:

Not bad, but with how much they may have spoiled

PT has nothing to do with the story of Silent Hills, so says some disclaimers in PT.

Crabtree posted:

I'm already seeing symbolism when I should only see monsters at this point.
Well, it IS Silent Hill, so...

Crabtree posted:

poo poo, its weird thinking about Silent Hill being split into two games and you'll have a choice between The Evil Within and Silent Kojima later this year/the next.

What? The Evil Within has nothing to do with the Silent Hill franchise, though...?

Crabtree posted:

You planning on making some videos on that game eventually as well
Yeah, me and Bob are gonna do some cool stuff, I think!

Crabtree posted:

or is it feeling too Bethesda's RE4 for you?
What?

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

I think its a reference to Fallout 3, which Bethesda had produced and fans of the originals were divided as to whether the company can take the game in a good direction.

Considering SH is Konami's IP and Kojima is connected to them I don't think there's much danger of that here, though.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
And if you're worried about being spoiled by the trailer, I point you to Exhibit A: Metal Gear Solid 2.

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Del Toro, I can get excited about, but Kojima?

I don't know.

All I know about Kojima is from watching brief bits of someone playing Metal Gear Solid.... (I found Psycho Mantis equal parts brilliant and stupid) ... and listening to people alternating between calling Kojima a genius, criticizing his exploitive portrayal of women, and calling him batshit loony.

Maybe that last part will help for Silent Hill, which is about insanity with supernatural overtones or undertones, depending on your interpretation.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Kojima is, sadly, all of those things. It's difficult to tell which parts of Kojima products are his own ideas and which ones are from his production team. It's kinda a George Lucas situation, though the source of the bad and good is more ambiguous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Discendo Vox posted:

Kojima is, sadly, all of those things. It's difficult to tell which parts of Kojima products are his own ideas and which ones are from his production team. It's kinda a George Lucas situation, though the source of the bad and good is more ambiguous.

I would disagree. The production team made him add the shittty epilogue to MGS4 and did such a bad job with the initial design of Metal Gear Rising that Platinum had to start almost from scratch. Not to say that they're bad devs but Kojima is very much an auteur.

• Locked thread