Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Otisburg posted:

Remember Mechwarrior: Dark Age with blind boosters where maybe you got a "real" battlemech, and maybe you got a labormech, the 'mech equivalent of a dumptruck or a combine, with no guns or anything?

gently caress I was so excited for Dark Age as a little kid. The loving mechs didnt even matter and it just turned into artillery spam for the whole game. Jesus gently caress wizkids gently caress everything they touch. Goddamn why did you remind me about this.

God I remember ever event and tournament I played in consisted of hordes of peasants making human walls around artillery emplacements with a handful of bikers running off to cap objectives or to charge into mechs/enemy artillery and lock them down so they couldnt move or use their ranged attacks. There was a single mech in the game that was useful (some named Ocelot pilot or something) because they could bolt across the map in the turn. So you were playing this bullshit artillery creep game against their stuff that was all about waiting for a shot to crack open their peasant line so you could bolt your one mech/bikers into melee with their artillery and turn them off.

gently caress that game was dumb.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Before it dies I just want to point out how incredibly prophetic the tag for this thread turned out to be.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Kai Tave posted:

Before it dies I just want to point out how incredibly prophetic the tag for this thread turned out to be.

Yeah. I was just being cheeky about how it was based off the same guts and people said it was a rip off of X-Wing.

It wasn't strictly a rip off since they licensed the system. It was just a pale, hamfisted imitation.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

kingcom posted:

God I remember ever event and tournament I played in consisted of hordes of peasants making human walls around artillery emplacements with a handful of bikers running off to cap objectives or to charge into mechs/enemy artillery and lock them down so they couldnt move or use their ranged attacks. There was a single mech in the game that was useful (some named Ocelot pilot or something) because they could bolt across the map in the turn. So you were playing this bullshit artillery creep game against their stuff that was all about waiting for a shot to crack open their peasant line so you could bolt your one mech/bikers into melee with their artillery and turn them off.

gently caress that game was dumb.

Before artillery one of the big brain trust strategies was to take one Atlas that cost almost all of your points, kill one, thing, then run and hide in a "deep water" terrain feature where infantry and vehicles couldn't go, and any 'mech in a more sensible combined arms force wouldn't be a match for your 99 point assault mech duder if he did wade in after him.

If you can believe it I remember on the official forums at the time one of the devs suggested that artillery was going to be a "fix" for this degenerate tactic.

I knew an old lady who swallowed a fly...

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

What an amazing turn of events! Tell me, Otisburg, which one of your brilliant, handsome irl friends predicted this situation years ago? I bet they're experiencing the polar opposite of bij right about now.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 22, 2016

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

What an amazing turn of events! Tell me, Otisburg, which one of your brilliant, handsome irl friends predicted this situation years ago? I bet their experiencing the polar opposite of bij right about now.

*they're

and you played this game, too, as the first couple pages of this thread prove.

you just had the good sense to get out earlier

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Otisburg posted:

Before artillery one of the big brain trust strategies was to take one Atlas that cost almost all of your points, kill one, thing, then run and hide in a "deep water" terrain feature where infantry and vehicles couldn't go, and any 'mech in a more sensible combined arms force wouldn't be a match for your 99 point assault mech duder if he did wade in after him.

If you can believe it I remember on the official forums at the time one of the devs suggested that artillery was going to be a "fix" for this degenerate tactic.

I knew an old lady who swallowed a fly...

Christ. That sounds horrible.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

General Battuta posted:

Christ. That sounds horrible.

I'm pretty sure that was the quote they put on the box.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I will listen to any broken game horror stories you have, this is my favorite poo poo. I was a Battletech player as a tiny boy man, and Battletech is a pretty groggy dice-fest headache of a game that takes too long to play, but when I saw Dark Age I somehow distrusted it instinctively. Reading about the game online I could never make any sense of the way people talked about it — and the Dark Age forums always felt a little, uh, scrappy, nobody was ever very happy.

I remember everyone complaining that Mechs were useless in a game called MechWarrior.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Dark Age had the problem where it could be fun if you took things that looked cool and people built it around mechs they liked. But an entire scene was ruined as soon as someone figured out one of those game breaking strategies and the meta had to shift. At which point the game became super unfun and the local scene died completely. The most fun I had with the game was playing on my basement floor with friends. Mechanically it worked well enough.

Of course the local game store was the worst to buy from because the manager was alone all day and opened all the boosters to find the mechs and troops he wanted, made custom boosters, bought those with his discount, then repackaged the trash and sold it to my friends and I. Because he was such a nice guy, he offered to sell us his mechs individually since he wasn't interested in the game all that much.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The exact same thing happened to Malifaux. When 2e finally rolled around to fix the problem, the old guard threw a giant babby fit about it, too.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

A friend told me about Dark Age and I bought like 3 packs and only got lovely people and a logging mech. That's when I quit.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

A friend told me about Dark Age and I bought like 3 packs and only got lovely people and a logging mech. That's when I quit.

You are smart.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Otisburg posted:

You are smart.

Nah, all my lovely little people are on hex bases waiting for a combined arms battletech game. Gonna be fun as hell.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Otisburg posted:

You are smart.

haha, you spoke too soon. That's when I got into 40k

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

haha, you spoke too soon. That's when I got into 40k

Oh.

Oh.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Its ok Chill youre safe in the Wangs support group now. We've all made mistakes here brother.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

zVxTeflon posted:

Its ok Chill youre safe in the Wangs support group now. We've all made mistakes here brother.

Yeah I'm putting my creative effort into instead now; at least they don't actively try to screw us over. Speaking of which, I've finished the line art for the space garbage truck. I'll start painting it. Haven't had anything else to do with the snow and all.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I really wish SWAT had some semblance of sanity insofar as balance. It'd be fun to throw Wangs vs. Prises.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Remember the WotC starship battles game? I still have a ton of those.

The minis were servicable, but the game itself was a total mess. No range on anything but small fighters which could only attack adjacent, and only be attacked adjacent or by point defence. About the only cool rules were the way intercepting stuff trying to get to your lines worked, but it was just mostly a dice hucking experience where both sides were ground down to nothing and maneuvering didn't really matter.

Almost the AOS of starship games.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I still wish Crimson Skies had taken off. I rather liked those flight path rules. And the idea of a separate pilot vs. pilot adventure game running alongside the dogfights was pretty cool.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

I still wish Crimson Skies had taken off. I rather liked those flight path rules. And the idea of a separate pilot vs. pilot adventure game running alongside the dogfights was pretty cool.

What was the flight path rules for it? I thought it was a clix thing.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It was clix for damage and altitude I think, but your planes moved in flight paths that you chose at the start of the turn. You put down tiles with arrows on them and the plane followed that. It's been years since I looked at the rules so I'm probably getting stuff wrong. But it was definitely not inches like mage knight or dark age.

I think it would be pretty well received in today's gaming market actually, but people were already pretty burnt out on all the glut they were putting out at that time.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

And it even had fixed expansions.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Went to my FLGS to play some X-Wing and had a good time, but the funniest thing was the 1-2 shelves were the store has all of its Armada/X-Wing/Flightpath stuff: all of the STAW stuff had been taken off (and kept out of sight, I couldn't see it anyway), and the one/two boxes of D&D attack wing had also been removed. Another FLGS I had been to a day previously had a small stock of X-Wing and absolutely no stock of STAW as well. The FLGS that has enough space for tourneys doesn't even advertise STAW tourneys any more. The only explanation is that STAW is selling gently caress-all stock and it's not financially viable to keep it on display :lol:

STAW vs X-Wing is a prime display that Rules and Balance Matters in a game.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Tekopo posted:

STAW vs X-Wing is a prime display that Rules and Balance Matters in a game.

My three post-mortem observations on STAW:

(1) Terrible, terrible balance and rules writing. There are a number of things that should have been keywords that weren't and some fixes that tried to turn non-keywords into keywords retroactively to "fix" interactions, adding to confusion.

(2) Over-aggressive release schedule. (1) is probably a symptom of this, but this also meant stores didn't know what to stock, consumers were being hit up for the next wave too quickly, and the meta (once the Year of Spheres was over) didn't have a chance to ever really settle into a diverse but understandable "groove."

(3) Ugly models. In a miniatures game, shelf/table appeal matters. Back when I was carrying WK's water, I'd often set up demo tables using personal models that were retouched/inked/detailed/decalled to make the presentation more appealing. If aesthetics wasn't a consideration, flightpath games could be played iwth just the baseplates, and tokens with the addition of a printed-on top-down silhouette.

Honorable mention probably goes to not being able to turn completely away from the chase/collectible sales model, which to one degree or another fed into (1). I used to think that having exclusive ships and upgrades as prizes was a "bigger" draw than X-Wing "merely" having swaggier versions of retail-available stuff, but now that I'm actually playing X-Wing, I'm probably chasing that Disco Vader just as hard as a USS Sutherland or whatever. And that ties into (3).

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, exclusive ships and upgrades is a terrible loving idea, it's the quintessence of maximizing your short-term hype at the expense of souring your long-term player base and probably cultivating an unhealthy attitude towards competitive play in the process.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Otisburg posted:

Honorable mention probably goes to not being able to turn completely away from the chase/collectible sales model, which to one degree or another fed into (1). I used to think that having exclusive ships and upgrades as prizes was a "bigger" draw than X-Wing "merely" having swaggier versions of retail-available stuff, but now that I'm actually playing X-Wing, I'm probably chasing that Disco Vader just as hard as a USS Sutherland or whatever. And that ties into (3).

WOTC has shown for more than a decade that we nerds love our AA versions of cards. The one-upsmanship is there and they even get to sell you both the retail version and exclusive version!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I just lined up a trade to get my Disco Vader. :3:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Last prize ship trip report: ugly copper piece of poo poo that barely rivals something you'd get from one of those 50cent vending machines from the 90s. A fitting end.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I think the real lasting shame is that since the models are so junky there isn't even lasting shelf appeal to them.

XWing, even if every copy of the rules went up in flame tomorrow has gorgeous models.

Are they ending DnD attack wing as well?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I don't thing they are ending them: there's still money to be made squeezing out nerds that are invested in Star Trek/D&D

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

There have been no announcements as such, and they're still planned out till wave 27 or something absurd but:

- Many reports of FLGSes no longer stocking them and firesaling inventory on hand.
- An uptick in "selling all of my poo poo" and "what's the best way to sell all my poo poo?" posts on relevant fora/FB groups (see below :v: )
- Re-tooling of already announced future product waves from new content to reprints.
- Scaling back prize support and organized play kit contents in general. Instead of custom tokens they now generally say "just use the objective planet/tokens from the starter", and the prize ships include only the cardboard elements, meaning if you win say a USS Constellation you need to either own or go buy a USS Enterprise so you can actually have the model to play it.

Anecdotally it doesn't look promising, IMO, though they'll keep milking till the teat squirts dust I'm sure.

Much like Bit Coins, the end will be prolonged and only sporadically funny. And there will be plenty of die-hards who hold on to the "I enjoy the game, BUT" position a lot longer than I did.

DDAW landed like a turd at my FLGS: Made a little splash, then disappeared, and they flushed the rest.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 25, 2016

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

How much are people usually getting for their collections? I dont have anywhere close to every ship but i have most of the prize ships and gently caress if im ever gonna use any of them ever again maybe i can get some more wangs out of it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

In the FB group they barely get nibbles, usually through a combination of anyone who already plays and thus would be a member of the group not really needing to get a huge collection, and them pricing their stuff, let's say, aspirationally. I'm a member of several sell/trade nerd group games and when you try to lot sell to people who already play it usually results in a lot of "Hey, would you part it out and just let me cherry pick the good stuff for absurdly low prices, leaving you with a lot that's even harder to movie?"

On Ebay it seems like anywhere from insultingly little (one ended auction for 8 complete loose klink ships for 24 bucks), to "I guess beer money for a while" (a few hundred for a giant collection.)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I've never known a single person outside these forums to even acknowledge the existence of DDAW, let alone anyone who's actually played it. Hell, I probably wouldn't know it existed except for people making fun of it here.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Part of the reason it was such a flash in the pan locally, I'm told, is that the event organizer who volunteered to run it for the store became gravely ill after the first couple organized play tournaments.

Now I'm not saying correlation is causality, but

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I only know of it because they had their DDAW tournaments on our xwing nights and it went from 6 people to 3 to 0 in the span of like 3-4events. Thats quite impressive.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Kai Tave posted:

I've never known a single person outside these forums to even acknowledge the existence of DDAW, let alone anyone who's actually played it. Hell, I probably wouldn't know it existed except for people making fun of it here.

The only reason I know about it is because the local Forbidden Planet has it in stock, and it has been permanently in the bargain bin since it ever arrived in store. I have never seen a game of it played at my local FLGS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Kai Tave posted:

I know it exists because a box of it's been sat in the comic shop that used to be the only game-stuff store in town since the pre-cambrian era.

• Locked thread