Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Citizen Tayne posted:

Why is it better?

its faster and more convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

It isn't appreciably faster or more convenient unless you have a physical disability. I have no problem with assistive technology for the physically disabled like electronic locks or garage door openers.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Citizen Tayne posted:

My Roomba 540 just died. :(

it only takes like 3 minutes to plug in a vacuum and run it over your carpet, if need a machine to automate a common task like that for you then you have problems

Apr 7, 2003

Sniep posted:

it only takes like 3 minutes to plug in a vacuum and run it over your carpet, if need a machine to automate a common task like that for you then you have problems

If it were possible to vacuum a 2000 square foot house in three minutes while you weren't at home, I'd agree with you.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Citizen Tayne posted:

It isn't appreciably faster or more convenient unless you have a physical disability. I have no problem with assistive technology for the physically disabled like electronic locks or garage door openers.

its probably 5 to 10 seconds faster. if we say you do it on average 2x per day that's about 2 hours of your life saved per year.

Apr 7, 2003

Shaggar posted:

its probably 5 to 10 seconds faster. if we say you do it on average 2x per day that's about 2 hours of your life saved per year.

I wouldn't imagine most people's hourly wage works out to make it worth spending the money to install physical assist hardware for the handicapped in their able-bodied home just to save two hours a year.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that's for one person. if you have other people in the home it would be an even bigger savings

Apr 7, 2003

You also need the weigh the negative effect on the dignity of other household members that comes with being forced to use assistive devices for the handicapped, when they're perfectly physically capable.

Zap!
May 15, 2002

Nuts.
Says the able bodied man with a roomba. If it was such a problem, you could have hired an able bodied maid for a year.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I thought we had established in the very first post of this thread that we do this poo poo because it gives us nerd boners, not because it's actually useful or convenient!

Zap!
May 15, 2002

Nuts.
Stop stealing jobs away from humans and giving them to robots.

Apr 7, 2003

Zap! posted:

Says the able bodied man with a roomba. If it was such a problem, you could have hired an able bodied maid for a year.

It is more cost-effective to spend $400 on a robot that will vacuum my house every day with minimal further costs than it is to pay a maid.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Zap! posted:

tori cmos isn't able bodied, he's a frail halfling and he poss bad too

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Citizen Tayne posted:

You also need the weigh the negative effect on the dignity of other household members that comes with being forced to use assistive devices for the handicapped, when they're perfectly physically capable.

The assistive device is more convenient for everyone and in the even that you had an actual disabled person enter the home, they would be appreciative of your efforts. its a great win for everyone involved at a small and trivial cost.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

he has trouble reaching the door handle so the automated lock does not benefit him as much.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Zap! posted:

Stop stealing jobs away from humans and giving them to robots.

This is the wrong attitude, hiring a maid to mop floors creates ONE job.

Using a robot to mop your floor creates jobs for a team of software developers, hardware engineers, overseas factory workers building the thing, sales people, support staff and repair shop technicians for when it breaks down after a week etc etc etc
Robots are good!

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

It takes what, three seconds to take your keys out of your pocket and open a lock? I couldn't fathom being so incredibly lazy that I would welcome a convenience to save three seconds.

if you didnt blow $3k on the convenience package on your car, they may already be in your hand!!!

i like having a keypad on the shed tho, cuz i dont necessarily have my keys with me when going there

Apr 7, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

My posts are the best in this forum.

Shaggar posted:

The assistive device is more convenient for everyone and in the even that you had an actual disabled person enter the home, they would be appreciative of your efforts. its a great win for everyone involved at a small and trivial cost.

I couldn't imagine what a household too lazy to take their keys out of their pocket must look like.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

hey how easy is it to install a backup alarm for a bus onto a versa? the louder the better

e: wait wrong thread

Zap!
May 15, 2002

Nuts.

error1 posted:

Using a robot to mop your floor creates jobs for a team of software developers, hardware engineers, overseas factory workers building the thing, sales people, support staff and repair shop technicians for when it breaks down after a week etc etc etc
Robots are good!

And that's just for mopping. Add a robot for vacuuming, and dusting, and moving the broken robots aside...

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

error1 posted:

Robots are good!

Life, which you so nobly serve, comes from disorder, destruction and chaos. *pushes glass off table*

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007
My most recent "smart home" woe was deciding that if I am going to be slaving my light switches (let alone any other part of the home) to the Vera ecosystem then I should probably actually release all my code as native plugins. This necessitated updating my Vera3 to their latest "UI7" software.

Needless to say, mistakes were made. Last night the nonsense culminated with whiskey, factory default resets, and restoring from backup. Today I have to now re-program every Z-Wave remote and essentially audit every device to ensure the ID hasn't actually changed.

I console myself with two facts. The first is that every time I encounter "smart home" concepts in the wild (at hotels, "professionally installed" residential systems, demo studios) they all suffer the same UX issues that I have struggled with. The second is that, according to my partner, ninety percent of the time the house just does what is appropriate for the context and time of day.

Meanwhile, we still don't have real light switches - the fancy crowdsourced Android powered Z-Wave light switches have yet to ship.

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007
Oh I should probably mention that the Erlang piece responsible for asking DD-WRT if our mobile phones are on the WiFi and toggling corresponding virtual switches on the Vera has been running flawlessly on it's Raspberry Pi for close to six months now :bravo2:

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

Sniep posted:

Don't worry you aren't alone most people have a really hard time understanding multitasking.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

gadgethugs posted:

Don't worry you aren't alone most people have a really hard time understanding multitasking.

you're not very perceptive are you

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

Sniep posted:

you're not very perceptive are you

Sorry I can't hear you over the sound of five household machines dutifully performing their tasks while I shitpost.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
a good smart home thing would be a roomba brain attached to a 5hp wet dry shop vac. quit loving around and get serious

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

If you want to come home to a wrecked home, maybe. The roomba is like an obnoxious puppy that chews on everything it can get its grubby little paws on, fortunately the current model has pretty blunt teeth.

also http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/robot-crushes-contractor-death-vw-motor-plant-germany-n385541

Current robots are pretty retarded, you should think long and hard about giving them strength

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

error1 posted:

If you want to come home to a wrecked home, maybe.

go on..

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
what kind of idiot carries keys in their pocket??

my phoen and wallet are both juuust slim enough to fit into the pockets of my skinny jeans

not needing keys is a pro move

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Sniep posted:

sorry about your lack of floor space

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol if you don't carry a purse

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Citizen Tayne posted:

I couldn't imagine what a household too lazy to take their keys out of their pocket must look like.

one with kids

Apr 7, 2003

duckfarts posted:

one with kids

Why are you carrying your kids everywhere all the time?

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

duckfarts is actually mom cat :ssh:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Citizen Tayne posted:

nice try evading the obvious point

Apr 7, 2003

duckfarts posted:

nice try evading the obvious point

Having kids makes your hands fall off? That's not how it works at all.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Citizen Tayne posted:

- a person without kids

Apr 7, 2003

I've been a primary caregiver for kids for long periods of time, infants and toddlers. They never made my hands fall off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
my roombas stole my baby

but on the plus side i no longer have to carry him

• Locked thread