Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
If you're in this thread complaining that the horror of Nazi New York City isn't in your face think about this - you see no Black people in Nazi NYC. 1960 NYC had a population of 7.7 million, with just over 1 million Black people.

Also, the Nazis subjugated Africa, which had a population of about 280 million in 1960.

There's your horror. Nazis are bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I said something along these lines and got a :psyduck: response.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Yeah I said something along these lines and got a :psyduck: response.

You wrote:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I was thinking about the American Reich on this show, and it occurs to me that seeing nothing but white people around kind of makes me nervous. (I live in Chicago.) I'm a straight white cis male, but I like to think I'm an empathic person. Nazi Life on this show makes me very nervous, and I think that is the intended result.

Observing something and giving a mental "oh yeah" nod is one thing. A TV show's portrayal of the third reich making you "very nervous" is absolutely handwringingly :psyduck:.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Being freaked out by a sudden lack of diversity is a thing. The first three months or so after I moved from Philly to South Dakota I would feel 'wrong' in local crowds. It happens less frequently now but I am still quietly :unsmith: whenever I see non-white folk around town.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Fog Tripper posted:

You wrote:

Observing something and giving a mental "oh yeah" nod is one thing. A TV show's portrayal of the third reich making you "very nervous" is absolutely handwringingly :psyduck:.

Person living in a white enclave spotted.

A Deacon
Nov 17, 2016

by exmarx

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Being freaked out by a sudden lack of diversity is a thing. The first three months or so after I moved from Philly to South Dakota I would feel 'wrong' in local crowds. It happens less frequently now but I am still quietly :unsmith: whenever I see non-white folk around town.

I think this just reveals how insecure you are?

Shbobdb posted:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

A Deacon posted:

I think this just reveals how insecure you are?

Maybe? I dunno. Do you feel insecure around good posters?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It's always nice to see someone's red text validated.

A Deacon
Nov 17, 2016

by exmarx

Maybe? I dunno. Do you feel insecure around good posters?

Are you implying that you're a good poster?

Shbobdb posted:

It's always nice to see someone's red text validated.

I got this for saying that overthrowing Assad is probably a bad idea in the longterm, given the recent historical examples of Iraq, Libya, and Ukraine as a pretext. It's weird how progressives in D&D suddenly have paranoid neocon tendencies now. Your red text is pretty fitting, though. :)

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

A Deacon posted:

I got this for saying that overthrowing Assad is probably a bad idea in the longterm, given the recent historical examples of Iraq, Libya, and Ukraine as a pretext. It's weird how progressives in D&D suddenly have paranoid neocon tendencies now. Your red text is pretty fitting, though. :)

White suburbanite supporting the genocidal status quo: film at 11.

A Deacon
Nov 17, 2016

by exmarx

Shbobdb posted:

White suburbanite supporting the genocidal status quo: film at 11.

I didn't vote for Hillary.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

A Deacon posted:

I didn't vote for Hillary.

What have you done that is of worth?

A Deacon
Nov 17, 2016

by exmarx

Shbobdb posted:

What have you done that is of worth?

I've done many worthy things. This is off-topic, though.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

A Deacon posted:

I've done many worthy things. This is off-topic, though.

It's entirely on topic.

I accuse you of being a useless eater.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

A Deacon posted:

Are you implying that you're a good poster?
There is an implication, but that isn't it.

On topic: Did I see Smith's map correctly that Second Rome isn't a thing in show cannon?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

On topic: Did I see Smith's map correctly that Second Rome isn't a thing in show cannon?

I'm sure the Reich views Nova Roma as part of the Reich.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Useless eater” is a strange term for the Nazis to still be using by the ’60s.

Is Reich territory still suffering from famine? Why not frame euthanasia in “gentler” terms?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Platystemon posted:

Is Reich territory still suffering from famine? Why not frame euthanasia in “gentler” terms?

Because it is a socially acceptable thing so they don't have to frame it in "gentler" terms?

"Those are just the ashes from the retard crematorium. Whatever. I don't even remember why we bothered fighting the Nazis."

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Fog Tripper posted:

You wrote:

Okay, doubleplus ungood, got it.

Shbobdb posted:

Because it is a socially acceptable thing so they don't have to frame it in "gentler" terms?

"Those are just the ashes from the retard crematorium. Whatever. I don't even remember why we bothered fighting the Nazis."

No, I think we need to be super blunt and not understate anything because :psyduck:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Platystemon posted:

It's as dumb as welfare queen tbh

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

The maps are Dumb and it's best not to dwell on them.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Turtledove's constant: The maps are least terrible thing in precisely 63% of speculative historical fiction.

A Deacon
Nov 17, 2016

by exmarx

I wish Obergruppenführer Smith would gas your posting.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Shbobdb posted:

I lived in Pittsburgh for 30 odd years. :shrug:
Are white people in large numbers scary? (Because I now live in Utah so need to know if I should be "very nervous" or not)

Maybe I am just not all that hung up on race. :shrug:

edit: :shrug:

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 29, 2016

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

In that time period in our history, we were rightfully worried about mass global starvation. Lots of 1960s scifi novels at the time deal with food shortages, because that's what was going on. Luckily we had a breakthrough in farming technology and we ended up fine.

In the show's timeline, I would assume instead of solving the issue with farming, they solved it by removing the hungry people.

Ives
Jan 30, 2011
I think the 'point' of the Nazi utopia is to show that, even if the Nazis get their perfect lebensraum it fundamentally doesn't 'work'. Yes you have the picket fence 'burbs and all the shiny happy people, but at what cost? You have to kill your kid as soon as they get sick? leave your wife as soon as she can't bare you children? Its a utopia based on lies and deceit. Everybody is constantly lying to one another. Ultimately, it is possible to have the perfect society, but only at a terrible cost, which is fundamentally unsustainable. Is it reasonable to suppose that people will pick the welfare of the state over the welfare of their children? Some certainly will tow the party line and pick the state over their kids, but a significant number won't, and sooner or later, the utopia dies. Even as the most hardened Nazi, Smith is still a dad, and picks being a loving father over his duty to the fatherland. I think the show is fantastic because it demonstrates the real weaknesses of a totalitarian regime. Such a regime cannot account for innate human love and compassion, and will ultimately be strained by these forces.

Or an alternate, more cynical evaluation: After a generation, the Nazi leadership consists of a group of euro trash nihilists who are 180 degree reactionaries to your ideology.

Ives fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jan 1, 2017

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I just discovered this show and can't believe how good it is. Oh cool there's a pretty big thread about it, can't wait to read it and....

:yikes:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I just discovered this show and can't believe how good it is. Oh cool there's a pretty big thread about it, can't wait to read it and....

You should know by now that big threads on TVIV are bad news. Small threads are the ones to be excited about.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Just watched the finale. Nice to know that Darwin is the only Australian city worthy of obliteration by the Nazis, and not the actual economic and political centres like Sydney, Melbourne and Canberra.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Octy posted:

Just watched the finale. Nice to know that Darwin Hiroshima is the only Australian city worthy of obliteration by the Nazis, and not the actual economic and political centres like Sydney, Melbourne and Canberra Tokyo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Octy posted:

Just watched the finale. Nice to know that Darwin is the only Australian city worthy of obliteration by the Nazis, and not the actual economic and political centres like Sydney, Melbourne and Canberra.

As if they’d be economic and political centers in the Greater East Asia Co‐prosperity Sphere.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
^^^

Darwin was bombed more than Pearl Harbour was in WW2. You could assume in this timeline it became the major port for the continent as it was closer to Japan. Or it housed a large military installation/port (like ww2) for control of the region.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Just got renewed for season three. Now hopefully they can resolve whether Nazis are bad or not.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I just watched all of this show. It was pretty neat.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I have to assume the presence of Nazis factors into this issue.

zoux posted:

Just got renewed for season three. Now hopefully they can resolve whether Nazis are bad or not.

Great, maybe Juliana Crain will have some character growth this time.

Fake Edit: I'm gay for John Smith.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Lycus posted:

You should know by now that big threads on TVIV are bad news. Small threads are the ones to be excited about.

In fairness to the size, this thread covers both seasons.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
TV IV: where eighteen pages in over a year is a big thread.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Man, I don't even know about that, and need this show to tell me, a dumb American, if they are bad for reals.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I guess it is true that if you don't explicitly tell viewers what things are evil you get a whole bunch of people thinking Walter White is a cool as hell person to be, but to me, the permanent surveillance state, the conversations about racial hygiene and the season long subplot about how you have to murder your children if they get sick made me think that life under the Nazis might have a few negative points, as well.

A Deacon
Nov 17, 2016

by exmarx

zoux posted:

It shows how bad Nazis are in every episode. You must have watched a different show. Hopefully, they don't implement a permanent disclaimer across the screen next season reminding us that Nazis are bad due to loud, imbecile man-children such as you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

The Allies winning was just as bad if you think about it. AmeriKKKa!
:goonsay:

• Locked thread