Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Floodkiller posted:

A bunch of changes just hit thanks to the tournament ending. Here's some interesting ones (to me, anyway):

While I appreciate the summary I dunno why people keep on linking to the commits instead of the commitdiffs, which would let people see what code was actually changed. Ultimately a minor annoyance since the link to the diffs are right there on the page.

?noise will still work just fine for Elf 3 murderholes, it just makes clearing the rest of the level before you set up the hole a bit more dangerous, and makes the vault itself a bit less dangerous. Overall a good change.

No real opinion on the rest aside from spark wasps. I'm excited for spark wasps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So how come faded altars weren't added in the released version of 0.17?

VVV I didn't see any in all 3 of my games. Weird.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Nov 23, 2015

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

So how come faded altars weren't added in the released version of 0.17?

I've seen some during the tournament, is this exclusive to the local for some reason or you're just unlucky?

It's in the changelog, too - as well as in today's online trunk.

rchandra fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Nov 23, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I do really think faded altars should be guaranteed.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

resistentialism posted:

Do chained zigs break item rules now or something?

edit
code:
a - 455 javelins of penetration (quivered) {This is NOT a legitimate run}

There was a hilarious bug where the random plus bonuses on rings were all fixed at the same amount, picked at random between 1-120something. Which is how I got rings of +81 ev and +51 ac. Also every amulet transformed into the necklace of bloodlust for some reason.

Then an apocalypse crab breathed chaos and paralysed me for 6 turns and the immortal octopus died.
Now imagine Mnoleg doing that to you except you won't have 100+ AC at the time. Rip ev characters. Also rip casters who get berserked.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Darox posted:

There was a hilarious bug where the random plus bonuses on rings were all fixed at the same amount, picked at random between 1-120something. Which is how I got rings of +81 ev and +51 ac. Also every amulet transformed into the necklace of bloodlust for some reason.

Then an apocalypse crab breathed chaos and paralysed me for 6 turns and the immortal octopus died.
Now imagine Mnoleg doing that to you except you won't have 100+ AC at the time. Rip ev characters. Also rip casters who get berserked.

Read fog and stand in the clouds. Or make your own 'better than chaos' safety freezing/flaming/poison/mephitic clouds and stand in those. My pro strat suggestion.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Fog or Freezing are probably the best choices as they are, IIRC, the longest lasting clouds.

Alternatively take Qazlal for maximum random clouds! :black101:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Some other changes from tournament start to now:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I did see a couple of brain worms during the tournament. With the restore stats changes I can see why they aren't very interesting anymore. Shame though, the zombified versions of them were hilarious because they don't have a physical attack.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

ZeeToo posted:

These are all excellent. Is there any plan on reducing troll hunger now as well or is that sticking around because 'reasons'? I always thought it was connected to their regen (and I guess lore).

Also swamp just got a whole lot less tedious.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

World Famous Whore posted:

These are all excellent. Is there any plan on reducing troll hunger now as well or is that sticking around because 'reasons'? I always thought it was connected to their regen (and I guess lore).

It's sticking around because it's a big part of what makes trolls mechanically distinctive, probably.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

World Famous Whore posted:

In a way I would hope it would stick around for Trolls. It seems like a really minor malus for innate regen and a bit of character differentiation, and since they have gourmand, food really should not be an issue unless you're zerking all the time or hop into a labyrinth without enough permafood. Granted, I'm not thinking about extended but I don't normally do that so :v:

Edit: What he said ^^^

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Man, I didn't manage to Ogrecome all weekend :(

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Glagha posted:

Man, I didn't manage to Ogrecome all weekend :(

I mean, I'm like, the head Ogre of OA and I'm pretty sure I've posted maybe two or three tournament wins ever over multiple tourneys so uh, don't beat yourself up about it :)

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

150 games, 0 wins. I collected 3 runes, total. Not all in the same run.

I am bad at this.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Brannock posted:

While I appreciate the summary I dunno why people keep on linking to the commits instead of the commitdiffs, which would let people see what code was actually changed. Ultimately a minor annoyance since the link to the diffs are right there on the page.

?noise will still work just fine for Elf 3 murderholes, it just makes clearing the rest of the level before you set up the hole a bit more dangerous, and makes the vault itself a bit less dangerous. Overall a good change.

No real opinion on the rest aside from spark wasps. I'm excited for spark wasps.

If anything, patrolling should make clearing the rest of the level safer, and make clearing the vaults significantly more dangerous (which is the intended result). Patrolling enemies have a fixed area they return to when not actively chasing you. In Elf:3, that should mean that even if you wake up the end vaults the high level elves won't give you trouble while you're clearing the rest of the level, but they'll also be hard to lure to a murder hole because they'll just walk back to their designated patrol areas rather than chase you.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ZeeToo posted:

[*]Octopode crushers replaced with Iron Giants. Where are my guaranteed hats going to come from now? Still throws like octopode crushers. I'll miss my high-tier octopodes, even so.

What is this racist bullshit? :mad:

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
Guide to drinking the purple as a Spriggan:
1. Find the purple
2. Drink it
3. "gently caress"

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

apple posted:

1. Find the purple
2. Drink it
3. "gently caress"

The solution is more of the problem.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Floodkiller posted:

The solution is more of the problem.

That just means you need more solvent.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

apple posted:

1. Find the purple
2. Drink it
3. "gently caress"

I quaff ID'd mut on my recent SpEn and got *Rage and double Frail. Quaffed again and got rMut :gonk:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It looks like someone is logging on to underused servers with others' usernames and breaking their streaks?

That's pretty stupid.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

odiv posted:

It looks like someone is logging on to underused servers with others' usernames and breaking their streaks?

That's pretty stupid.

The same thing happened about half a year or so ago. Good thing i can not get a streak to save my life so I don't have to worry about that!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ZeeToo posted:

[*]Octopode crushers replaced with Iron Giants

quote:

Iron giants are bigger, tougher, and have the same fundamental skills as
octopode crushers.

so when are orcs getting replaced with orc warriors

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

the @?? for Iron Giant doesn't say anything about throwing.

Is there a way to disavow an account? I don't want to have to stay on top of every single server development.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Angry Diplomat posted:

I mean, I'm like, the head Ogre of OA and I'm pretty sure I've posted maybe two or three tournament wins ever over multiple tourneys so uh, don't beat yourself up about it :)

I was not able to ogercome :( I had some good guys going, but couldn't get over the midgame. I'm trying to make myself feel better by playing some GrEE^Chei until I can shatter the world.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I posted before and I'm guessing know one else knows, but as you're all Crawl pros compared to me I thought I might ask again.

I'm trying to get inventory sorting working, I'd like things organized in a logical fashion rather than the order I pick it up. Looking in the options there is a 'sortmenus' feature that can be turned on and it should apparently sort the inventory and other tabs. I've put 'sortmenus = true" into my config as directed but it doesn't seem to be working.

Anyone know how to get this going? Is it because I'm playing tiles, is it something that only works on console? Any advice would be appreciated :)

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I only got one win this tourney but it was the most fun Demonspawn mut set I've ever gotten, so I'll call it good.

quote:

Innate Abilities, Weirdness & Mutations

You have a pair of large antennae on your head (SInv).
You are surrounded by a strong repulsion field (EV +4, rMsl).
You regenerate a lot of health from kills.
Your magical and physical power is greatly enhanced at high health.
When hurt, damage is shared between your health and your magic reserves.
You regenerate magic rapidly.
When low on magic, you restore magic in place of health.

I was basically spamming Glaciate by the end of this, and with the insane mana regeneration I didn't find myself missing Vehumet for a drat second. What a great character :allears:

Agreeing with Haifisch that Bribe Branch's actual mechanics seem to be extremely confusing though. My allies in Vaults never dropped alliegiance with me, but they wouldn't follow me out of Vaults. My Pandemonium allies did time out eventually though. I had to kill my best bro Mennas :( The application felt inconsistent but it was still pretty powerful. Made the V:5 ambush a joke, and friendly/allied OOFs made z:5 smooth sailing.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

ZeeToo posted:

Some other changes from tournament start to now:
[list][*]Octopode crushers replaced with Iron Giants. Where are my guaranteed hats going to come from now? Still throws like octopode crushers. I'll miss my high-tier octopodes, even so.
what the gently caress

there are already enough samey giant dudes in this game where the gently caress are my octopodes

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah the octopode crusher change is just another one of those pointless changes nobody outside of the dev understands. Lets take this enemy with neat flavor and make it more boring because ???

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I mean it's fine there's only like,
-ogres
-trolls
-hill giants
-ettins
-two-headed ogres
-ogre mages
-cyclops(+polyphemus)
-stone giants
-fire giants
-frost giants
-titans
-juggernauts
and now iron giants. so like, 13 different flavors of big angry men. I'm glad they decided to remove one of the two(2) kinds of octopode in the entire game to make the monster list more balanced

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I sure hope they manage to, in the tiny little tiles, visually distinguish these dudes from juggernauts and stone giants, the other two mineral-based swole guys, especially considering that they'll have an incredibly dangerous constriction attack

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah the octopode crusher change is just another one of those pointless changes nobody outside of the dev understands. Lets take this enemy with neat flavor and make it more boring because ???

the developer responsible for adding octopode crushers has wanted to remove them for some time. his main argument is that their key unique trait, the player-repositioning tentacle toss, is (a) very complicated and (b) rarely accomplishes that much in practice. iirc. E: iron giants still do this so: ???

(he's the same guy who added & removed jump attack.)

I'm going to ask around and try to figure out what's actually going on here.

IronicDongz posted:

so like, 13 different flavors of big angry men. I'm glad they decided to remove one of the two(2) kinds of octopode in the entire game to make the monster list more balanced

technically, they removed the only kind of octopode that spawns outside gimmick entry vaults.

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 24, 2015

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Donald the octopode complains "I hate being polymorphed"

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
ask him why he's a goober

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
OK, apparently the long-standing concern was that tentacle throw didn't work very well without monsters around. another dev was simultaneously working on the iron giant concept, and so they ended up being merged; the monster is a giant so that it can have a band of giants pals to throw the player toward. there isn't really any obvious thematically compatible Depths-appropriate monster for octopodes to band with. (water elementals don't quite cut it!)

it's a loss to flavour, but I can understand why the decision was made.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Other, smaller octopodes, obviously.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Tripod(e)s.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Make Octopode Crushers be accompanied by packs of octobees.

octoshrikes

octoliches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Octocrabs, which breath octoclouds

• Locked thread