Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DC Murderverse posted:

oh man i totally did not expect that. I kinda thought only John Wick had the balls to kill off a cute dog to power the hero but Alita had some serious balls.

Speaking of the absolute goddamn set of brass ones on this movie, I know it was in the original but how many YA romance movies have the cute male lead get fuckin' turbo-murdered in the last act? Not once, but twice in this case? It's like if in Hunger Games, someone shot Peeta in the head near the end and the movie just kept going like nothing happened. It loving owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Going to see your again tonight (in IMAX again) ostensibly on the grounds that I missed the beginning first time but actually just because I am a massive nerd and it was great first time. I am psyched

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Movie good, movie critics bad.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I am hopelessly in love with this movie. It was such a blast and was so easy to enjoy. Loved the characters. Rosa Salazar was a miracle as Alita. I was stoked that it seemed to subvert the whole 'born sexy yesterday' trope at every turn. My biggest complaint would be that the scripting got a smidge awkward post motorball. Kind of felt like it crammed too much into too small a space, time wise. But that's a little quibble.

It was great!

Critics are stupid assholes and it's a tragedy this isn't a smash hit.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've convinced a few coworkers who wouldn't otherwise have checked it out to go see it this weekend, so everyone else should do the same, get the word out!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
So when can we expect an Akira movie? Didn't DiCaprio buy the movie rights for that a while back?

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I am hopelessly in love with this movie. It was such a blast and was so easy to enjoy. Loved the characters. Rosa Salazar was a miracle as Alita. I was stoked that it seemed to subvert the whole 'born sexy yesterday' trope at every turn. My biggest complaint would be that the scripting got a smidge awkward post motorball. Kind of felt like it crammed too much into too small a space, time wise. But that's a little quibble.

It was great!

Critics are stupid assholes and it's a tragedy this isn't a smash hit.

It hasn't opened in China or Japan yet.

I'm watching it next week. Lots of euros get paid on 25th too, including myself, can't see it just yet being a student and all.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Man as a fan of the manga since I was a youngling this was an absolute treat. It was a full blown love letter to the property to an unbelievable degree and therefore an extremely strangely unironically take compared to everything else coming out these days. I mean the last time I've wached a movie so whole heartedly throw itself on being a weird sci fi romp is loving Robot Jox.

But...did they have to CGI the main actresses face? A great point of genre sci fi romps is the grounding of the whole enterprise in one central character being unquestionably real in the center of it. There were plenty of times where I found myself removed analyzing the work of her face when she was interacting with another character instead of getting lost in the performance. Like, I think the actresss did an amazing job but I cant even be sure...

Anyway my fav parts of the movie is the overall unapologetic nature of Alita. Her watching Hugh from his windowsill, her love of violence, at times I felt like I was watching Splice and that is amazing to smuggle into a pg13 movie.

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002

Philthy posted:

So when can we expect an Akira movie? Didn't DiCaprio buy the movie rights for that a while back?

Isn't Taika Waititti supposed to be making it? I think it's still in the "we still don't have a script phase" I know it's been in that phase for the last 15 years.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Saw it, really liked it, so happy it did the manga justice. Not much to add except:
  • Has there ever been an all-CGI fight scene that paid so much attention to the martial arts choreography? All the Marvel CGI fights I can remember are just two guys trading punches. The Matrix movies maybe?
  • Ido telling Shirin "You have to let our daughter go" when he's just named his cyborg orphan after his daughter and given her his daughter's body was great.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Clipperton posted:

[*] Ido telling Shirin "You have to let our daughter go" when he's just named his cyborg orphan after his daughter and given her his daughter's body was great.
[/list]

I loved that she immediately called him out on that.

Motorball:

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 20, 2019

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

teagone posted:

Yeah that's what I meant. It's not bad 3D, but it's not "wow" 3D either. Avatar and the first HTTYD film remain the only two films to have genuinely wow'd my rear end off in the theater when I saw them in 3D.

I really liked Beowulf in 3d, eps the flaming arrows shot.

Philthy posted:

Akira should never be a movie

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 20, 2019

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

TheMirage posted:

Isn't Taika Waititti supposed to be making it? I think it's still in the "we still don't have a script phase" I know it's been in that phase for the last 15 years.

Can't wait for Kaneda to be inexplicably:
a) A kiwi;
b) (adorably) Rambling non stop.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

After seeing it again, they really captured Alita's intense earnestness in both tender and violent moments.

It's a stark contrast to current action hero leads who are trending towards the anime cliche of dark brooding jerks or stone-faced protagonists.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Why do critics hate this movie so much but audiences/fans love it? I know opinions but the gap seems pretty big on this.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ulio posted:

Why do critics hate this movie so much but audiences/fans love it? I know opinions but the gap seems pretty big on this.

They don't.

There was a concerted early effort to pan it, much like Captain Marvel and the Last Jedi because internet chuds hate all movies with :females: as leads.

It had a 30% rating on RT before the early sneak previews even happened. It's been riding around 60% now. If you dumped the early trashbag reviews, it would be around 75%, which is pretty respectable for a glitzy action film.

In short, the incel-ternet is a land of contrasts.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Ulio posted:

It seems to be a divide between "big name" critics and everyone else most of all.

RT Top Critics: 35%
Metacritic: 54/100
RT Critics overall: 60%
Metacritic users: 8.5/10
Cinemascore: A-
Audience: 94%

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Toshimo posted:

They don't.

There was a concerted early effort to pan it, much like Captain Marvel and the Last Jedi because internet chuds hate all movies with :females: as leads.

It had a 30% rating on RT before the early sneak previews even happened. It's been riding around 60% now. If you dumped the early trashbag reviews, it would be around 75%, which is pretty respectable for a glitzy action film.

Except it's not incels that shat on it, bizarrely (I was expecting this too). Hell, the Internet Nerd response to Alita has been pretty nearly universally "this movie loving owns." It's highbrow big-name critics that decided Cameron Is Bad Now and refused to engage with the movie.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
Huge fan of the comics back in the day and just can’t get enough of this movie. They nailed the character for me and reminded me how much I love the character of Alita. I didn’t want the film to end! Really hope sequel(s) get made, crossing fingers it does well overseas.

Also, this has set a high bar for excellently choreographed/shot action, I’ll be surprised if any of the Marvel films come close.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Tekne posted:

After seeing it again, they really captured Alita's intense earnestness in both tender and violent moments.

It's a stark contrast to current action hero leads who are trending towards the anime cliche of dark brooding jerks or stone-faced protagonists.

gently caress I love this comic book so much. I've been rereading the series from the first book and reliving the campy fun, melodramatic emotions, almost slapstick violence and over the top action. The thing I liked best about the movie as a long term fan was seeing the shots and pointing out the ones that were 1-for-1 transliterations of the comic panels.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

BIG MOOD

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Boy of Joy posted:

Huge fan of the comics back in the day and just can’t get enough of this movie. They nailed the character for me and reminded me how much I love the character of Alita. I didn’t want the film to end! Really hope sequel(s) get made, crossing fingers it does well overseas.

Also, this has set a high bar for excellently choreographed/shot action, I’ll be surprised if any of the Marvel films come close.

Alita opens in Japan and China this week. Hoping for big openings there. Right now the film is sitting on ~$140 million worldwide.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Toshimo posted:

They don't.

is this movie going to go down like Fury Road?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Aces High posted:

is this movie going to go down like Fury Road?

I think Alita will have much more appeal overseas than Fury Road did.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also, I hope we get to Last Order and specifically the ZOTT just so I can see the moron reactions to Sechs

One of the main protagonists being a trans dude is gonna get some amusing reactions, especially if they keep his arc intact and you basically get to see him figure out his gender identity in real time

e: actually, now that I think about it, the nature of Sechs, Elf and Zwolf means we're decently likely to see Salazar go Full Orphan Black if they get to Last Order

Tookaywun
Jul 23, 2001

Greetings and salutations
If the Asian market saves this movie we'll be one step closer to a major motion picture depicting trans Vegeta thumbwrestle a space karate rasta so hard two spectators killed just from the shockwaves.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Also, I hope we get to Last Order and specifically the ZOTT just so I can see the moron reactions to Sechs

One of the main protagonists being a trans dude is gonna get some amusing reactions, especially if they keep his arc intact and you basically get to see him figure out his gender identity in real time

e: actually, now that I think about it, the nature of Sechs, Elf and Zwolf means we're decently likely to see Salazar go Full Orphan Black if they get to Last Order

Oh gently caress I want this so much

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Toshimo posted:

BIG MOOD

What's this from? I just did a re-read and I don't think I've seen it before.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also, for anyone unaware of the manga, "trans Vegeta apocalyptically thumb-wrestling a Predator that knows Space Karate" is a thing that actually happens in Last Order

And "Space Karate" is not an oversimplification, it's literally called Space Karate and there's another guy who does it who's basically robot Ryu from Street Fighter (who calmly has tea with Alita while like 200 dudes murder the gently caress out of each other around them at one point)

Alita is... a really, really batshit series sometimes and gets moreso and moreso the deeper you go in

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's also Super Electromagnetic Karate.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

NmareBfly posted:

What's this from? I just did a re-read and I don't think I've seen it before.

It's one of the extra stories that gets included with some of the deluxe edition reprints of the original series.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Also, for anyone unaware of the manga, "trans Vegeta apocalyptically thumb-wrestling a Predator that knows Space Karate" is a thing that actually happens in Last Order

And "Space Karate" is not an oversimplification, it's literally called Space Karate and there's another guy who does it who's basically robot Ryu from Street Fighter (who calmly has tea with Alita while like 200 dudes murder the gently caress out of each other around them at one point)

Alita is... a really, really batshit series sometimes and gets moreso and moreso the deeper you go in

You forgot to mention the vampire and the werewolf.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Young Freud posted:

Caerula owns.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Young Freud posted:

vampires as in plural. Last order is pretty anime.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

LO also features one of the best nazi punches in all media.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

NmareBfly posted:

LO also features one of the best nazi punches in all media.

Its literally the Ark of the Covenant of Nazi punches.

Tookaywun
Jul 23, 2001

Greetings and salutations
You're missing the part where all his organs turn to shrapnel that shreds all the Nazis behind him to death and blows up the aircraft they flew in on.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tookaywun posted:

You're missing the part where all his organs turn to shrapnel that shreds all the Nazis behind him to death and blows up the aircraft they flew in on.

No, that's exactly why I said it was the literal Ark of the Covenant of Nazi punches.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

i'd have posted all 4 pages but I only own physical copies and didn't find a version online with dialog that doesn't have a terrible translation and spelling errors so I didn't want to do the scene an injustice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I have no idea how you adapt Last Order as movie: it's just one big story with no obvious movie breaks.

But it owns so much. Read it before we accidentally spoil you.